Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SAKs in public places (or other multitools)

Top-Gear-24 · 2076 · 107659

be Offline Top-Gear-24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: SAKs in public places (or other multitools)
Reply #2070 on: February 20, 2024, 06:11:59 PM
Well, my Airboss with the blue dial has a Sellita movement, while the one with the black dial has an ETA movement  :).

Victorinox used ETA first, but then switched to Sellita if what I heard was true.  It doesn't make much difference, they are actually as good as identical.  The Sellita has one more jewel, but it's located in a place where having a jewel or not doesn't really make a difference.  And although both movements are identical, most of their components are not interchangeable.

It wasn't my intention to offend when I said it was more dressy, I like dress watches, but I'm quite a big and heavy person (194cm, 128 kg...  :-[) and a fine dress watch just looks awkward on me, I need something a bit more rugged (it might just be in my head  ::)).

And you're right, a dress watch can surely be used for hiking, flea market tours and Lego playing  ;).
I have several Divers and not only do I not own a dive suit, I'm not even that great of a swimmer.  And pilot watches, while I like flying, I can get airsick very quickly in turbulent weather.  In my defence, I've only flown in small Cesna like planes, since I'm very hesitant to get on an 8 hour flight knowing I get airsick so easily (most people tell me that flying in a 747 is way smoother as in a Cesna, but last Cesna flight I was on only lasted an hour, and I was so happy to be on solid ground again, I can only imagine what 8 hours of that must feel like...  :ahhh).

ch Offline Sneider

• No Life Club
Reply #2071 on: February 20, 2024, 10:36:50 PM
Hello Eric

I read somewhere that manufacturers sometimes switch between Sellita and ETA and - as you say - the differences are insignificant.

Eric, I didn't take that as an insult! I feel completely comfortable in the role of ignoring the trends. In the last few months I have been to almost all the watch shops in my region, some have thousands of watches on display - and hardly a dress watch. The divers, pilots and racing watches seem to be extremely popular at the moment - rightly so - great masterpieces with many functions. The trend is also clear in the watch forums. What I've noticed again and again is the common opinion that you can wear a diver, pilot, or racing watch practically any time, but a dress watch with a men's suit - I find that funny. But like I said, I don't care. Minimalism, reduction to the most essential is quite often my style, that's just me. Everyone the way they like it. Others enjoy their Swisschamp, I enjoy my one-layer SAK.  :)

In my opinion, the most important argument for wearing a watch these days is not the necessity but rather the enjoyment the wearer gets from it. That's the only thing that counts. How dare I seriously judge other people's tastes? That's not my place, but a little bit of fun and teasing is okay.  ;)

The fact that I now enjoy an old-fashioned grandpa clock the most is almost certainly only in my head and I even know how that came about because I have a childhood memory that has completely triggered me ever since:

My grandfather was a big, strong man. He had a 36mm Omega (back then a common men's size), which is now with my father and looks quite similar to my Hamilton. Once, I was maybe 5 and my grandfather wanted me to read the time on his watch. I failed and asked plaintively why his watch didn't even have numbers. I can still hear his answer in the broadest Swiss German to this day: "Wäme chli eltär isch, weiss me da eifach, da bruuchts kei Zahle!" When you're a little older, you just know that, no numbers are needed!
I can't get that out of my head every time I see a clock with numbers...
 :doh:  :surrender:

Although I don't have a problem with flying, I've only been on a larger plane twice. Zurich Berlin and back. As a child, I flew a few times with my father in a small aircraft (like a Cessna) in the Swiss Alps, and once we landed on a glacier. My father wanted to make me happy but I was more afraid than happy. When we are on holiday in Croatia we sometimes fly to the coast in a Cessna in the evening sun, just 20 or 30 minutes. We love it! Always the same Cessna and the same pilot. The plane is ancient and the pilot is at least three times as old. We always joke: "If he wasn't a good pilot, he wouldn't have lived to be so old" Oh, I miss the sea...

If you want to be happy, be.
(Leo Tolstoy)

ch Offline Sneider

• No Life Club
Reply #2072 on: February 24, 2024, 08:26:57 PM
Time for our daily dose of fresh raw milk. Thank you ladies.

Just sit there, look out over the area, drink milk and then walk back home.

(Leo Tolstoy)

au Offline Echotech

Reply #2073 on: February 25, 2024, 12:42:38 AM
What fab pics Peter, the flying looks a lot of fun. I’ve only been in a small plane once, very different experience from the normal commercial craft I fly

:cheers:

ch Offline Sneider

• No Life Club
Reply #2074 on: March 03, 2024, 07:47:21 PM
Thank you John.  :cheers:  Oh yes that was it, really special fun for us!

Today with my son in the forest. Sun, 16 °C, small fire for our sausages, was really cozy.

(Leo Tolstoy)

au Offline Echotech

Reply #2075 on: March 04, 2024, 03:32:37 AM
Looks like a great day out :like:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24