Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Victorinox vs. Wenger, Awl

Offline zackhugh

Victorinox vs. Wenger, Awl
on: September 01, 2007, 11:23:42 PM
After reading about the Wenger ToolChest Plus on SOSAK, it reminded me of my own impressions of the Wenger awl vs. the Victorinox awl.

OK, I know this implement isn't that popular for everyone, but I wondered if anyone had thoughts about the differences between Wenger's and Victorinox's awl.

I think the Vic awl works a little better with the beveled edge on one end--penetrates more easily through materials than the Wenger awl.  I've used the sharpened edge to scrape a little too so that was a nice addition for me.  Haven't used the sewing eye in the Vic awl so can't speak to that capability, but would love to hear it if someone actually did.

Might be interesting to compare the scissors on the two brands as well...

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Re: Victorinox vs. Wenger, Awl
Reply #1 on: September 01, 2007, 11:31:05 PM
After reading about the Wenger ToolChest Plus on SOSAK, it reminded me of my own impressions of the Wenger awl vs. the Victorinox awl.

OK, I know this implement isn't that popular for everyone, but I wondered if anyone had thoughts about the differences between Wenger's and Victorinox's awl.

I think the Vic awl works a little better with the beveled edge on one end--penetrates more easily through materials than the Wenger awl.  I've used the sharpened edge to scrape a little too so that was a nice addition for me.  Haven't used the sewing eye in the Vic awl so can't speak to that capability, but would love to hear it if someone actually did.

Might be interesting to compare the scissors on the two brands as well...
As far as the awl's go in my opinion (and i do use them quite a bit) is that the awl on the 91mm vic's is just superiour to the 85mm wenger's, however the awl on the wenger 93mm S I is better than the awl on the 93mm Soldier.

I've never tried to sew with them, but no doubt there up to the job :)

Having said that there really isn't alot in it and they are both the best in the business if you ask me :)

As for the scissors, well i think the one's on the victorinox's are better for a smooth cut, but that the wenger's are probably the tougher, more reliable set up :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Offline zackhugh

Reply #2 on: September 01, 2007, 11:47:47 PM
 :oops: Sorry, I forgot about specifying the size of SAKs we were talking about.  I suppose Def will come by to  :twak: me.  I was speaking of the 91mm Vic vs. the 85 mm Wenger.  I suppose more specifically a comparison tool by tool on the Swisschamp vs. the ToolChestPlus (or Evogrip S54 like I have) is possible.

Re: the scissors.  I nominally prefer the smoother cut on the Vic, but actually I have to say the serrations on the Wenger scissors are barely noticeable on the material. 

What about the pliers?  Anyone actually use the slipjoint feature on the Wenger on pliers this small?  It's nice to have, I guess.

The locking feature for the main blade on the Evogrip is a nice feature that is an advantage over the Swisschamp.  That is, unless locking blades are illegal where you are.

Reply #3 on: September 01, 2007, 11:52:07 PM
Well I've got a conffetion to make, although i do have a PocketToolChest I've not actually used it :-[, It's just a bit to big to be practical for me so it stay's in my collection alongside my used and much loved swisschamp (which is hust about the right size ::))

Offline zackhugh

Reply #4 on: September 01, 2007, 11:58:41 PM
So no XAVT in your future then?

Reply #5 on: September 02, 2007, 12:01:53 AM
Not unless I win the lottery ;D

I'm really a user and I used to have a pretty low opinion of people who collected knives (in that i always saw knives as tool's not draw queen's) , but now I'd like to get a few sak's and multi's purely for the sake of owning them ::)

Offline zackhugh

Reply #6 on: September 02, 2007, 12:08:03 AM
I'm really a user and I used to have a pretty low opinion of people who collected knives

Hey, I (rep)resent that remark!  ;D

Reply #7 on: September 02, 2007, 12:09:17 AM
I'm really a user and I used to have a pretty low opinion of people who collected knives

Hey, I (rep)resent that remark!  ;D
I did say used too ;) :D

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #8 on: September 02, 2007, 12:26:47 AM
I think that's the boat we are all on- Maybe we should Start Closet Collectors Annonomous?

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Reply #9 on: September 02, 2007, 09:48:28 AM
I think that's the boat we are all on- Maybe we should Start Closet Collectors Annonomous?

Def
I think Collectors International Annonomous might be better, or CIA for short ;D

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: September 02, 2007, 02:00:47 PM
I thought CIA was short for Collectors In Agreement?  >:D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Reply #11 on: September 02, 2007, 04:33:36 PM
I thought CIA was short for Collectors In Agreement?  >:D

Def
depend's on how many ''hush puppies'' they've got pointed at your head ;) ;D

Offline znapschatz

Reply #12 on: September 02, 2007, 06:04:34 PM
Not unless I win the lottery ;D

I'm really a user and I used to have a pretty low opinion of people who collected knives (in that i always saw knives as tool's not draw queen's) , but now I'd like to get a few sak's and multi's purely for the sake of owning them ::)

Yeah, kind of happened to me, too.  Although I have been carrying one kind of multi-tool or another since age 12, it wasn't until I got my first SAK that I was interested in knives as a subject.  Even then, all I knew for the next couple of decades was: Wenger (good), Victorinox (better), knockoffs (trash), which, come to think of it, was not a bad beginning.  Also, I never owned more than one at a time.

Then, in 1996, I was introduced to the Leatherman concept.  I was interested enough to pick up a PST.  It was okay, I liked the inclusion of pliers in the tool mix, but overall, preferred my Swisschamp.  Then the Super Tool came out, with locking tools and so rugged!  As far as I was concerned, the goods had arrived.  The only thing missing was scissors, but less than a year later, Leatherman introduced the Micra, a perfect complement.   So, the two Leathermen became my main EDC for the next few years, and a source of frustration: when carrying the Super Tool/Micra, I missed the Vic, and vice versa. 

Meanwhile, I was now sensitized to the whole subject and my interest quickly grew.  I started accumulating various multitools for comparison, thinking to find out which worked best for me and sell off the lesser candidates.  In fact, I did and am still doing this, but there has grown a surplus of multi-tools that I hardly use but don't want to get rid of because I need to fondle them, occasionally  :).  Several have gone out as gifts, but I have just about run out of people I know who would want one.  So, I now have a collection. :multi:

Because of the discipline to buy multi-tools only on sale, usually during and after the holiday season, I don't have a huge amount of $ tied up in cutlery,  and in fact, have made a small profit on some of the stuff I have sold off and lost little on others.
Still, in spite of my best intentions, I have become a hobbyist.  It could have been worse, like on-line poker.   :ahhh

Reply #13 on: September 02, 2007, 06:12:27 PM
I think that's the way most of start out :)

And beside's how many people do you know who's hobby leave's them equiped to deal with anything life can throw at them ;D

I'd like to see an online deck of card's open a tin can or wire a plug ;D

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #14 on: September 02, 2007, 11:40:46 PM
Good point...

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%