Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

marbles 'safety axe'

sappyg · 36 · 8170

Offline Hedge Kid

• Member 003 of the MickyD Fan Club
Re: marbles 'safety axe'
Reply #30 on: August 02, 2010, 01:45:47 AM
What an interesting blade cover. It'd be interesting to play with one of these but I'm having difficulty believing that the metalwork in the handle wouldn't become painful with sustained/regular use.  :think:

What is JB Weld?

I

Offline sappyg

Reply #31 on: August 02, 2010, 02:08:36 AM
What an interesting blade cover. It'd be interesting to play with one of these but I'm having difficulty believing that the metalwork in the handle wouldn't become painful with sustained/regular use.  :think:
What is JB Weld?

TBH 5-10 minutes with this thing is about all i can take. not b/c of the blade guard in the handle unfortunately. i notice it only rarely and it is not painful at least to me.

j b weld is an epoxy with incredible holding power. it was my last resort for the marbles.

i did offer a pass around earlier in this thread and the offer is still there.
i

Offline Hedge Kid

• Member 003 of the MickyD Fan Club
Reply #32 on: August 02, 2010, 01:49:00 PM
Apologies if my post above seemed a little snarky. It certainly wasn't intended that way. It was very late at night here and my words seem to be lacking in humour somewhat  :-\

I'm glad it's not painful to work with :)

I did notice your generous offer of a passaround but unfortunately I'm in the UK and have no money to spare to spend on postage  :) I'll stick with  :drool: over the pics. Thanks for the offer though.  :tu:
I

Offline sappyg

Reply #33 on: August 02, 2010, 02:39:14 PM
i was not offended at all.

:cheers:
i

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #34 on: August 08, 2010, 10:26:22 AM
What is JB Weld?

i did offer a pass around earlier in this thread and the offer is still there.
That's very generous of you mate :tu:

The postage would be fearsome to the UK though, so I'll have to pass sadly :-\
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline sergemaster

• No Life Club
Reply #35 on: August 12, 2010, 08:29:02 PM
Amici,
Marbles products have been manufactured in China since the late 1990's, so unless you're lucky to have come across some old stock thanks again to NAFTA and Bill Clinton you have a Chicom tool..

On the other hand, they do use a decent grade of carbon steel in their axe heads so edge retention is not really an issue, but it seems that their earlier products weren't thought out or tested completely so they do come with some stigma attached.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, Marbles products seem to get a regular drubbing in various online forums and deservingly so, although in the last few years their quality has getting better. It seems that anything coming from China nowadays because of their odd tendency of just making and sending it out without any R&D or QC has helped them in being labeled as crap.

As for any axe/hatchet that's not made in the Nordic countries, I would sand down the handle and remove the varnish completely and as mentioned earlier then rub down the tool with liberal amounts of linseed oil and you'll be good to go..

By removing the varnish and using linseed oil, you'll notice the increase in your slide and swing when using the tool.

Cheers,

Serge
'I will NOT be threatened by a walking Meatloaf!!' - D. Kessler

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31