Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

A quality inexpensive Stockman.

us Offline 2xTap

• No Life Club
  • Slipjoint Fanatic!
A quality inexpensive Stockman.
on: July 27, 2010, 10:37:15 PM
I took a drive to my local Bass Pro Shop today to check out some stuff, was looking at possibly getting a few Case pieces but they want too damn much for them there. Not one to be surrounded by Guns, Knives, and Multi-tools and leave empty handed.....I started looking at some of their Buck and SOG stuff when I eyed these Redheads. Through the clamshell packaging I could tell everyone I looked at was well built. Real solid construction throughout the backspring area and nice overall finish. Decided to get one as the price was cheap enough. I opted for the wood scaled version as the few jigged bone versions they had there not one had scales a color that matched worth a damn.....and the Stag versions were too pricey for imports.

All the patterns in these lines were small, the only one that appealed to me was the Stockman.

Anyway, for those that don't know Redhead is a Bass Pro Shop brand. This particular piece is a 3-blade Stockman at 3 1/2" closed. Blades are brush finished 7Cr17 Stainless and hollow ground. Liners, bolsters, pins, and backsprings are also stainless steel and done over in a fine brush finish as well. Scales are wood.....not sure what kind of wood but they look like a dark walnut to me.

The build on it is quite superb, equal of my best Rough Riders. Nearly gap free throughout. Blade and edge grinds are clean and even, edges are very sharp, backsprings sit flush with blades opened or closed and they are the perfect stoutness.....not light but not real heavy either. All blades open smoothly with real good "walk & talk" and not one of them has any lateral play.  The finish on all the stainless parts is very clean and even and the fit of scales to the liners and bolsters is excellent. Rubbing your finger across the sides of this thing the only transition you feel is the surface difference between the bolsters and scales. Even the pins are set in smooth. To be honest the only thing I could readily make out was the shield. Real good fit on these.

The only complaint I have with this, and it's not so much a complaint as it is a preference......in a Stockman this size it looses some of it's pocketability due to the fact that this one is a three backspring version. This wouldn't be an issue if it weren't for the fact they use some decently thick blade stock for such a small slippie........

.........for a 3 1/2" closed Stockman these two factors make it rather thick for it's size. But then again these also make the knife handle better in the hand.

All and all though it's a damn good slippie for a off-brand. It also came with a nice liitle pull-string satin pouch to carry it in. Not bad for $19.99, especially given its excellent fit and finish.

For those who like the Rough Riders, Steel Warriors, and the Buck imported line of slippies, these are definitely worth a look.

2xTap  :tu:
Knives, Watches, and Flashlights are like Guns......you can never have too many!

Offline sappyg

Re: A quality inexpensive Stockman.
Reply #1 on: July 28, 2010, 01:50:40 AM
great pics tap  :tu:

redheads look well made and for $20 that's a steal
i

scotland Online Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: July 28, 2010, 01:58:27 AM
That looks very nice mate, I can see the three layers being a bit of a thing though.  One big reason I like a medium Stockman is that it just disappears in your pocket.  But for $20 you can't complain can you? :tu:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

ca Offline Sean

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: July 28, 2010, 03:06:18 AM
You gotta stop doing this to us, it's just costing me money!  :D

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #4 on: July 28, 2010, 07:27:08 AM
That look's drum tight at the back :tu:
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline HBlaine

• It does WHAT??
Reply #5 on: July 28, 2010, 02:28:53 PM
Very nice!   :tu:
Nothing says extraterrestrial like...

us Offline 2xTap

• No Life Club
  • Slipjoint Fanatic!
Reply #6 on: July 29, 2010, 04:32:06 AM
sappyg,

Thanks! And they do appear to be a great bargain.

Gareth,

For the size it is a bit thick, but not overly so.

Sean,

You just gotta stop looking at my threads!  :rofl:

Mike,

It damn near is.....real solid fit.

HBlaine,

You need to get you one.  :tu:

2xTap
Knives, Watches, and Flashlights are like Guns......you can never have too many!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%