Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Don't degrease SAK with acetone,,

us Offline GA1dad

• No Life Club
Don't degrease SAK with acetone,,
on: May 01, 2024, 06:45:51 PM
Last weekend I used the modified scraper on my Executive to scrape away stubborn primary cover gasket on the Harley. In the process it became quite saturated in gear oil. I wiped it off good, with intentions to give it a good scrubbing in the sink, but never did. Over the last few days I noticed that every time I used it I got oil on my hands. So yesterday at work I got the bright idea to degrease it with some acetone I had handy. Two good heavy squirts from a spray bottle and it instantly began melting the scales in my hand. I rushed and grabbed a rag and was able to at least stop the damage. Had to take some scotchbrite to resurface the scales.

Don't us acetone.  :facepalm:
Jason - N4RBZ- A Harley can get you through times of no money better than money can get you through times of no Harley____O~`o__

us Offline Farmer X

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Master of the unexciting
Re: Don't degrease SAK with acetone,,
Reply #1 on: May 01, 2024, 10:24:39 PM
That reinforces my thinking that Alox is preferable for really dirty jobs. Good thing you were able to save the scales, and could replace them without much difficulty if need be!
USN 2000-2006

Afflicted with Alox-Pox and seeking the cure: more Alox!

us Offline Tuisto

Reply #2 on: May 01, 2024, 11:26:23 PM
Can I ask, did the acetone do any damage (or anything at all whatsoever) to the Victorinox shield logo?

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: May 02, 2024, 12:04:55 AM
It’s never a bad thing to run ideas like this past the MT.o SAK hive mind.  Whatever the idea may be, most likely someone has already tried it, or at least given it serious consideration.

us Offline Swisster

• Ambassador of SAK's
Reply #4 on: May 02, 2024, 01:19:15 AM
I thought it was kind of common knowledge to not use acetone or alcohol on plastics.  ? You mean I can't use an oven turned up to 500 to dry my SAK for an hour ? Should I not be rubbing the blade edge on my tongue repeatedly ? I'm glad I'm not from the South.

us Offline GA1dad

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: May 02, 2024, 01:24:54 AM
Can I ask, did the acetone do any damage (or anything at all whatsoever) to the Victorinox shield logo?

Nope, shield was just fine. Overall the entire tool is fine,,, just has a bit of textured grip now.
Jason - N4RBZ- A Harley can get you through times of no money better than money can get you through times of no Harley____O~`o__

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: May 02, 2024, 02:02:01 AM
I thought it was kind of common knowledge to not use acetone or alcohol on plastics.  ? You mean I can't use an oven turned up to 500 to dry my SAK for an hour ? Should I not be rubbing the blade edge on my tongue repeatedly ? I'm glad I'm not from the South.

I hope your day gets better soon.

us Offline BPRoberts

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: May 02, 2024, 02:12:11 AM
I  wish Vic would just go to nylon. They were nice on the old eco knives, and they use them on the 111s. They could simplify their operation and upgrade the material. I assume it's cheaper (why would they use them for eco otherwise) too.

us Offline Swisster

• Ambassador of SAK's
Reply #8 on: May 02, 2024, 02:59:51 AM
how about bring back mother of pearl and water buffalo scales with scale tools ?

us Offline Enginears

Reply #9 on: May 02, 2024, 03:27:29 AM
I  wish Vic would just go to nylon. They were nice on the old eco knives, and they use them on the 111s. They could simplify their operation and upgrade the material. I assume it's cheaper (why would they use them for eco otherwise) too.

Kind of agree. The 100mm have nylon too and the grip is also way better. I have never been one to keep my celidor buffed and shiny but I know some folks like that. The rougher look of nylon is totally copasetic with me. 

us Offline Farmer X

Reply #10 on: May 02, 2024, 04:57:12 AM
I  wish Vic would just go to nylon.
I would agree. That makes me wonder if nylon is somehow less sustainable (to use a current "green" buzzword) than Cellidor. Of course, I'd awlso like to see them bless us with Micarta, and maybe G-10...
USN 2000-2006

us Offline Enginears

Reply #11 on: May 02, 2024, 05:51:46 AM
I would agree. That makes me wonder if nylon is somehow less sustainable (to use a current "green" buzzword) than Cellidor. Of course, I'd awlso like to see them bless us with Micarta, and maybe G-10...
I think you are correct, Cellidor is supposedly 45% cellulose, so relies less on petroleum than a plastic like nylon.  I have some G-10 scales that are solid and textured, much prefer the feel in hand, that would be cool for vic to add.

ca Offline Jazz

Reply #12 on: May 02, 2024, 07:21:38 AM
For people like me with dry hands, the nylon in way more slippery. Especially in winter. The cellidor actually grips my hands.

us Offline Farmer X

Reply #13 on: May 02, 2024, 05:04:49 PM
I never would have guessed that Cellidor could be grippier than nylon! My findings are that unpolished Micarta offers the best grip.
USN 2000-2006

ca Offline Jazz

Reply #14 on: May 03, 2024, 03:02:26 AM
I never would have guessed that Cellidor could be grippier than nylon!

I don’t understand it either, but it definitely is.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $36.34
PayPal Fees: $1.66
Net Balance: $34.68
Below Goal: $265.32
Site Currency: USD
 12%