Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What's your latest SAK?

edap617 · 37505 · 2549805

nl Offline glenfiddich1983

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • aka "G-Fiddle" and "Glen-Fizzle"
Re: What's your latest SAK?
Reply #24240 on: June 25, 2017, 08:29:11 PM
After admiring one of our fellow member's Ranger with Camping logo, I finally found one of my own...

:like:
[--- arms length ---] (-.-) 

^-- where the cat sits

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #24241 on: June 25, 2017, 09:43:15 PM
Scored another Golfer, 84mm I believe, with a scissors variation I've yet to encounter...
golf.jpg
* golf.jpg (Filesize: 106.89 KB)
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #24242 on: June 26, 2017, 07:29:54 AM
Scored another Golfer, 84mm I believe, with a scissors variation I've yet to encounter...
Definitely a Golfer 84mm... with the old style combo tool... :like:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #24243 on: June 26, 2017, 07:34:32 AM

Is your eye just trained that well to know it's 84mm?  Or is there a tell?  Shape of blade?  I do have 91mm Golfer with old style CT,,,  :think:
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #24244 on: June 26, 2017, 07:35:50 AM

Is your eye just trained that well to know it's 84mm?  Or is there a tell?  Shape of blade?  I do have 91mm Golfer with old style CT,,,  :think:
Easy to tell... the corkscrew pivot is close to the shield :cheers:

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #24245 on: June 26, 2017, 07:40:02 AM

Duly noted. Man, you're good. :salute: I still get it wrong all the time.  I've bought a couple 91mm thinking/hoping they were 84.  But now, I probably won't be looking TOO hard anymore since I got two....   but there IS that rule of three,,, :D

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #24246 on: June 26, 2017, 07:56:03 AM

Duly noted. Man, you're good. :salute: I still get it wrong all the time.  I've bought a couple 91mm thinking/hoping they were 84.  But now, I probably won't be looking TOO hard anymore since I got two....   but there IS that rule of three,,, :D
Here's a side by side pic of my 84mm Golfer and Compact...

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #24247 on: June 26, 2017, 07:59:13 AM

Here's a side by side pic of my 84mm Golfer and Compact...
(Image removed from quote.)

:like: :like:

Very nice  :tu:

I'm thinking there' a possibility something is up with those scissors, then thought you just couldn't see the screw in the pic, then I found this pic, and I'm thinking it's another possible variation..  :think:
s-l1600.jpg
* s-l1600.jpg (Filesize: 66.52 KB)

nl Offline glenfiddich1983

• aka "G-Fiddle" and "Glen-Fizzle"
Reply #24248 on: June 26, 2017, 08:42:48 AM

Nice one!  :like:
[--- arms length ---] (-.-) 

^-- where the cat sits

nl Offline EMZ

Reply #24249 on: June 26, 2017, 04:52:18 PM
Well, not really my latest SAK, but my latest SAK data sheet!!
This is the data sheet/brochure concerning the 2009 Dutch Army Knife (DAK).
DAK 2009.jpg
* DAK 2009.jpg (Filesize: 224.45 KB)

nl Offline EMZ

Reply #24250 on: June 26, 2017, 05:43:56 PM
 :oops:
I screwed up. It's the wrong DAK with this data sheet. The data sheet doesn't belong to the %^&*! DAK. It is teh Zwanenburg type. Terrible knife!
Here is the right knife with the right data sheet!

It is so confusing all these knives and accompanying information...
DAK verbeterd.jpg
* DAK verbeterd.jpg (Filesize: 239.52 KB)
DAK 1993.jpg
* DAK 1993.jpg (Filesize: 183.74 KB)

us Offline cody6268

Reply #24251 on: June 26, 2017, 07:40:05 PM
As a part of a $15 lot of about half a dozen knives I scored at the flea market, I got a screw scissor Classic in pretty good shape with the brown leather-look pouch, which both are already in my watch pocket after preventative maintenance and cleaning.  Given the rest of them are beater electrician's knives, I think this little guy helped the lot quite a bit, along with the even tinier knife shown with it, which I've seen online before, but wouldn't pay money for.

2017-06-26_01-19-44 by cody6268, on Flickr

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #24252 on: June 27, 2017, 04:08:27 AM
Today's purchases

NIB 60's Elinox Spartan w/bail
NIB 70's Champion
New/No box 70's Spartan w/clip point

fr Offline m47mu74nt

• No Life Club
Reply #24253 on: June 27, 2017, 07:21:23 AM
Today's purchases

NIB 60's Elinox Spartan w/bail
NIB 70's Champion
New/No box 70's Spartan w/clip point
:ahhh
Meet me also on youtube & instagram for mostly knives (and multitools) content

ph Offline Zephon

Reply #24254 on: June 27, 2017, 08:08:28 AM
Can I ask a question here instead of creating a new thread?

Has anyone encountered a SAK that's basically a Mountaineer with pliers.....or a Ranger with pliers instead of a wood saw?  Looked like a 91mm and has corkscrew back, pliers, scissors and file/metal saw.  Wondering if the knife is worth buying as it it's quite distinct from the toolset of a deluxe tinker as this one has a corkscrew and metal saw/file.

us Offline Boonies

• No Life Club
Reply #24255 on: June 27, 2017, 08:26:37 AM

Has anyone encountered a SAK that's basically a Mountaineer with pliers.....or a Ranger with pliers instead of a wood saw?  Looked like a 91mm and has corkscrew back, pliers, scissors and file/metal saw.  Wondering if the knife is worth buying as it it's quite distinct from the toolset of a deluxe tinker as this one has a corkscrew and metal saw/file.

Sounds like the Marlboro Troubleshooter except the Troubleshooter has the Phillips not the corkscrew.  Nice tool set......good luck.   :cheers:

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #24256 on: June 27, 2017, 09:12:57 AM

Sounds like the Marlboro Troubleshooter except the Troubleshooter has the Phillips not the corkscrew.  Nice tool set......good luck.   :cheers:

No clue, sorry duder.

I do know what these two beauties are that FINALLY arrived today.  :ahhh :ahhh  Both firsts for me.  :D
WP_20170626_23_57_29_Rich.jpg
* WP_20170626_23_57_29_Rich.jpg (Filesize: 89.44 KB)

fr Offline m47mu74nt

• No Life Club
Reply #24257 on: June 27, 2017, 10:58:27 AM

I do know what these two beauties are that FINALLY arrived today.  :ahhh :ahhh  Both firsts for me.  :D
One day I will finally seek for that BY SAK, and that day it might be a KL92

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #24258 on: June 27, 2017, 11:25:48 AM

Well... I think it's relatively easy to tell the 84's and 91's apart for me, at least from the 80's models onward...  :think:

Depending on the angle of the shot some times it can be tricky but you can tell them apart most of the times. from the scales you can tell the 91's are slightly wider and that makes the logo look slightly "smaller" in the overall context of the scale than on the 84's. You can tell by the bottle opener shape and length, the can opener too, but it's trickier... You can tell by the pivot of the back tools being closer to the shield logo (as already mentioned). You can also tell on the 84mm 2 layers Small Tinker, Tourist and Sportsman the middle liner's cut goes longer into the handle (up until the middle of the can opener), at least on models up to 2012 or so, current ones has the middle liner cut just like the Spartan/Tinker. And there is of course the blade shape slight difference between the two  :cheers:
I'm sure there are more ways to tell them apart in pictures, but these are the most obvious ones.

That's why i say that the Sak's used on Macgyver (at least up till the 4th season) are a lot more 84mm models than people realize, even the list on Macgyveronline.
A lot of times where people think is the Tinker or Spartan, is actually the Small Tinker or Tourist/Sportsman (confirmed by screen shots and analyzing them very carefully  :facepalm:)
On an example... On the "Eraser" Ep. he uses a Tourist at the bar fixing the ginger-ale dispenser scene and then a Spartan when he is trying to pry a glass window out of a door to hide in an abandoned building.
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #24259 on: June 27, 2017, 11:28:36 AM

Well... I think it's relatively easy to tell the 84's and 91's apart for me, at least from the 80's models onward...  :think:

Depending on the angle of the shot some times it can be tricky but you can tell them apart most of the times. from the scales you can tell the 91's are slightly wider and that makes the logo look slightly "smaller" in the overall context of the scale than on the 84's. You can tell by the bottle opener shape and length, the can opener too, but it's trickier... You can tell by the pivot of the back tools being closer to the shield logo (as already mentioned). You can also tell on the 84mm 2 layers Small Tinker, Tourist and Sportsman the middle liner's cut goes longer into the handle (up until the middle of the can opener), at least on models up to 2012 or so, current ones has the middle liner cut just like the Spartan/Tinker. And there is of course the blade shape slight difference between the two  :cheers:
I'm sure there are more ways to tell them apart in pictures, but these are the most obvious ones.

That's why i say that the Sak's used on Macgyver (at least up till the 4th season) are a lot more 84mm models than people realize, even the list on Macgyveronline.
A lot of times where people think is the Tinker or Spartan, is actually the Small Tinker or Tourist/Sportsman (confirmed by screen shots and analyzing them very carefully  :facepalm:)
On an example... On the "Eraser" Ep. he uses a Tourist at the bar fixing the ginger-ale dispenser scene and then a Spartan when he is trying to pry a glass window out of a door to hide in an abandoned building.

You SURE about the part I made bold?
For sure, it's the angles I have trouble with.  Most of the SAKs I buy are crappy photos, lucky to get more than one...
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 11:30:22 AM by El Corkscrew »

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #24260 on: June 27, 2017, 11:39:50 AM

You SURE about the part I made bold?
For sure, it's the angles I have trouble with.  Most of the SAKs I buy are crappy photos, lucky to get more than one...

I'm pretty sure about the part in bold mate...  :cheers: That's one of the main differences i've always noticed between Small Tinker's/Tourist's and Tinker's/Spartans, the way that middle liner cut is longer. As far as i've seen the liner cut on the Spartan's/Tinker´s where always like that, shorter. At least i've yet to see any different evidence to prove me wrong...  :think:

My current 2017 small Tinker's/Tourist/Sportsman have the liner cut shorter now, just like the Spartan/Tinker. My 2010 Small Tinker/Tourist still have the longer liner cut.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 11:42:13 AM by MacGyver »
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #24261 on: June 27, 2017, 11:53:14 AM

Tell me which one's which, stat!  (JK :D )
WP_20170627_02_43_15_Rich.jpg
* WP_20170627_02_43_15_Rich.jpg (Filesize: 83.88 KB)

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #24262 on: June 27, 2017, 12:03:46 PM

:rofl:    :rofl:    :like:

Well on a split second the middle ones look like 84's :D

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #24263 on: June 27, 2017, 12:18:02 PM

Black one is 91mm

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #24264 on: June 27, 2017, 05:23:24 PM
Y'all are awlsome.  All I know is there are 3 84mm in that pic.... I think :think: :D

fr Offline m47mu74nt

• No Life Club
Reply #24265 on: June 27, 2017, 07:30:54 PM
Y'all are awlsome.  All I know is there are 3 84mm in that pic.... I think :think: :D
:tu:

00 Offline Borg

• No Life Club
Reply #24266 on: June 27, 2017, 09:00:41 PM
My trusty evening and weekend edc green explorer with its new friend, a nice shiny red explorer  :D

Poker Face Milk dud world champion 2021

Offline Psych

Reply #24267 on: June 28, 2017, 02:33:54 AM
Green Cadet arrived today.

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #24268 on: June 28, 2017, 04:18:28 AM
L ->R Hoffritz pre '75 Exec, 84mm Golfer post ('85-'91), 91mm Golfer ('85-'91mm), DAK '92, AO Cadet, Green Pioneer

Scored the Green Pioneer off Captain Spaulding... looks like people missed out some great alox deals he had...  :think: 

SAKs in the SANK, nahm sayin mags? :D

WP_20170627_17_56_50_Pro.jpg
* WP_20170627_17_56_50_Pro.jpg (Filesize: 76.49 KB)

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #24269 on: June 28, 2017, 04:19:08 AM
My trusty evening and weekend edc green explorer with its new friend, a nice shiny red explorer  :D

Great pic, B!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%