Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What's your latest SAK?

edap617 · 37500 · 2536559

england Offline Kev D

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: What's your latest SAK?
Reply #26400 on: April 21, 2018, 11:28:42 PM

england Offline Kev D

Reply #26401 on: April 21, 2018, 11:29:13 PM
These just arrived

Nice pic Kev D! :like: :tu: :tu:

Congratulations on the new SAKS! :cheers: :cheers:

Thank you  :cheers:

fr Offline Régis-Joël Charnay

Reply #26402 on: April 22, 2018, 02:45:43 AM
Victorinox, Wenger, Swiza

fr Offline Régis-Joël Charnay

Reply #26403 on: April 22, 2018, 02:49:57 AM
and just before
Victorinox, Wenger, Swiza

us Offline jalind

• No Life Club
Reply #26404 on: April 22, 2018, 05:22:42 AM
:mail:

This arrived today . . . one of the Wenger I've been trying to find for a l-o-n-g time, the Teton with a smooth large blade (not serrated) and Phillips driver on the back side. Most of the smooth blade I've found have a corkscrew and the Phillips have a serrated. Killing two birds with one stone with this. Bought the Wenger Grenadier watch because it had the Teton I wanted. The quartz watch is not excess baggage though. Needed something to give to someone who has done much for me recently. He's an avid golfer, and that's an understatement. He also has a bevy of quartz watches around because he's always forgetting to put one on, like some people have reading glasses stashed everywhere. Found a BNIB 85mm Wenger Golf Pro to put into the watch box for him to go with the watch. Should have it tomorrow or Monday.

(Image removed from quote.)

The Teton with non-serrated blade and Phillips . . .

And in another package, a Victorinox EvoGrip S101 . . . the EvoGrip version of a Spartan or Tourist with locking blade.

Along with that one came this Victorinox AirBoss Mach 9 with a 25j ETA 2824-2 28.8kbps high beat under the hood. Not giving this one away  ;)
An homage to military watches with its dial and hands, it's not a true one with its case finish and dead flat (sapphire) crystal, but better categorized as a field watch.

The lume is very bright!

John

Nice pics, great haul John  :tu:

.... must resist looking at watches  :drool:

Tried for years and it didn't work
  :assimilate:
I've got all manner of brands and mechanical movement calibers now.
About four dozen accumulated . . . and counting.
WARNING: They take up more space than SAKs.

Thanks,
John
« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 05:23:53 AM by jalind »
John

us Offline jalind

• No Life Club
Reply #26405 on: April 22, 2018, 05:45:31 AM
Got a Swisscard Lite as permanent companion to my wallet...

A SwissCard classic (without light) has been a permanent part of my wallet for some years now and it's an excellent EDC. I've used it for all sorts of things. People are amazed when I pull it out and start doing a "MacGyver" with it.

As I occasionally have to go to the county courthouse which houses a number of county offices. It's the one thing I almost forget about. Because it's a courthouse, the entrance is identical to airport security, staffed by the county sheriff with identical weapons restrictions. I have to do a pocket dump into the vehicle console or trunk beforehand.

Don't forget about what's in your wallet going through security checkpoints.  ;)

John

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #26406 on: April 22, 2018, 09:49:08 AM

This arrived today . . . one of the Wenger I've been trying to find for a l-o-n-g time, the Teton with a smooth large blade (not serrated) and Phillips driver on the back side. Most of the smooth blade I've found have a corkscrew and the Phillips have a serrated. Killing two birds with one stone with this. Bought the Wenger Grenadier watch because it had the Teton I wanted. The quartz watch is not excess baggage though. Needed something to give to someone who has done much for me recently. He's an avid golfer, and that's an understatement. He also has a bevy of quartz watches around because he's always forgetting to put one on, like some people have reading glasses stashed everywhere. Found a BNIB 85mm Wenger Golf Pro to put into the watch box for him to go with the watch. Should have it tomorrow or Monday.

And in another package, a Victorinox EvoGrip S101 . . . the EvoGrip version of a Spartan or Tourist with locking blade.

Along with that one came this Victorinox AirBoss Mach 9 with a 25j ETA 2824-2 28.8kbps high beat under the hood. Not giving this one away  ;)
An homage to military watches with its dial and hands, it's not a true one with its case finish and dead flat (sapphire) crystal, but better categorized as a field watch.

The lume is very bright!

John

Thanks,
John

I've got into trouble with my wife when I bought a Sinn 157 M  TY - Lemania 5100.
I did not buy any watch after that for the following 12 years (yes I love her), till I've got the G-Shock bug  :facepalm:
But that's over now too.

I've got the Sinn new at my Air force time back in 1995.
This was the German Airforce pilots issue. They used this model from Sinn and alternatively one from Tutima (same movement, different buttons). Tested to be accurate at 8g  :D

I had a friend travelling to Frankfurt am Main to buy one from the factory, as these were not available at any Jewellery or Watchmaker shop back in 1995.

My following watch additions were more economical but as much fun...

Victorinox Mini Champ & G-Shock G-2300

« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 09:52:32 AM by MTMatt »

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #26407 on: April 22, 2018, 10:10:00 AM
Got a Swisscard Lite as permanent companion to my wallet...

A SwissCard classic (without light) has been a permanent part of my wallet for some years now and it's an excellent EDC. I've used it for all sorts of things. People are amazed when I pull it out and start doing a "MacGyver" with it.

As I occasionally have to go to the county courthouse which houses a number of county offices. It's the one thing I almost forget about. Because it's a courthouse, the entrance is identical to airport security, staffed by the county sheriff with identical weapons restrictions. I have to do a pocket dump into the vehicle console or trunk beforehand.

Don't forget about what's in your wallet going through security checkpoints.  ;)

John

Now that could easily happen to me, if I don't forget my wallet at home as I often do  :D

se Offline stoneshank

Reply #26408 on: April 22, 2018, 05:29:05 PM

The lume is very bright!

John

Thanks,
John

I've got into trouble with my wife when I bought a Sinn 157 M  TY - Lemania 5100.
I did not buy any watch after that for the following 12 years (yes I love her), till I've got the G-Shock bug  :facepalm:
But that's over now too.

I've got the Sinn new at my Air force time back in 1995.
This was the German Airforce pilots issue. They used this model from Sinn and alternatively one from Tutima (same movement, different buttons). Tested to be accurate at 8g  :D

I had a friend travelling to Frankfurt am Main to buy one from the factory, as these were not available at any Jewellery or Watchmaker shop back in 1995.

My following watch additions were more economical but as much fun...

Victorinox Mini Champ & G-Shock G-2300

That's quite a sweet story, made me smile. Never heard of the Sinn watches before! Do you follow YouTube reviewers on watches too?

~ i love whittling and SAK's  ~

us Offline jalind

• No Life Club
Reply #26409 on: April 22, 2018, 06:09:29 PM
 :mail:  Very late yesterday . . .

An Alox MiniChamp . . .
Different from my other MiniChamp, it's thinner and very rigid. Came with a very nice heavy leather pouch.

In the same package was an Alox Electrician

In another package was the Wenger Golf Pro. Left the plastic on the scales for the photos as I'm giving this to someone . . .
Has a cleat wrench, divot tool, and in a pick for cleaning golf club heads in lieu of a corkscrew or Phillips. Not open are a large blade and a combo can opener and cap lifter similar to the Victorinox.

In the box now . . . in place of the Teton . . . ready for presentation . . .

John

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #26410 on: April 22, 2018, 06:28:41 PM

That's quite a sweet story, made me smile. Never heard of the Sinn watches before! Do you follow YouTube reviewers on watches too?

Thanks, no I do not actively look out for watches for quite a while now  ::)

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #26411 on: April 22, 2018, 06:35:41 PM

An Alox MiniChamp . . .
Different from my other MiniChamp, it's thinner and very rigid. Came with a very nice heavy leather pouch.

In another package was the Wenger Golf Pro. Left the plastic on the scales for the photos as I'm giving this to someone . . .
Has a cleat wrench, divot tool, and in a pick for cleaning golf club heads in lieu of a corkscrew or Phillips. Not open are a large blade and a combo can opener and cap lifter similar to the Victorinox.

John

Great Scott... I guess you are a collector  :D
Love the Alox  :tu: but would not have any use for a golf tool.
When I was looking for a Minichamp I had the Alox one in mind. But I couldn't find it here, so impatience lead me to buy the regular one  :D
Now I love the pen.

Btw, the Alox pics are a tad on the dark side.
Seems the shiny blades have nothing to reflect.
Otherwise they're great as usual  :tu:
« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 07:55:29 PM by MTMatt »

us Online FolderBeholder

Reply #26412 on: April 22, 2018, 07:07:44 PM
An Alox MiniChamp . . .
Different from my other MiniChamp, it's thinner and very rigid.
Did Victorinox change the scale thickness?
Rest in peace ColoSwiss, you will always be remembered.

us Offline jalind

• No Life Club
Reply #26413 on: April 22, 2018, 07:56:17 PM

An Alox MiniChamp . . .

John

When I was looking for a Minichamp I had the Alox one in mind. But I couldn't find it here, so impatience lead me to buy the regular one  :D
Now I love the pen.

Send the shiny blades have nothing to reflect.

Thanks . . . the Wenger Grenadier and the Golf Pro SAK are a gift to a man who's done some valuable things for me recently. He's an avid golfer and that's an understatement. Also has a bevy of quartz watches - keeps them stashed in places at home, at work and in his car, as he'll take one off and forget to put it back on before he leaves. This is one I know he'll like.

Wouldn't know what to do with a golf SAK either. I've got a Vic Caddy . . . a 58mm Classic with divot tool in place of the nail file and the old style removable ballpoint pen in the scales instead of a toothpick. I'll eventually give it away to a deserving golfer.  :)

John

us Offline jalind

• No Life Club
Reply #26414 on: April 22, 2018, 08:03:51 PM
An Alox MiniChamp . . .
Thinner than the ones with Cellidor scales. The Alox scales are much thinner than the Cellidor plus the aluminum liner under them. Nor do they need space for T&T that the Cellidor do. My modified MiniChamp with T&T Classic scales is 13.0mm thick. The Alox is 10.1mm thick.

John
« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 08:04:53 PM by jalind »
John

us Online FolderBeholder

Reply #26415 on: April 22, 2018, 08:28:53 PM
An Alox MiniChamp . . .
Thinner than the ones with Cellidor scales. The Alox scales are much thinner than the Cellidor plus the aluminum liner under them. Nor do they need space for T&T that the Cellidor do. My modified MiniChamp with T&T Classic scales is 13.0mm thick. The Alox is 10.1mm thick.

John
Oh, okay, I thought you were comparing it to another Alox.  :facepalm:
Rest in peace ColoSwiss, you will always be remembered.

ph Offline MrWilson

• just another SAK EDC'er
Reply #26416 on: April 23, 2018, 01:39:15 AM
My latest SAK, not new though--my old Champion with new scales made of wood burl from Bali, Indonesia.
PSX_20180422_225850.jpg
* PSX_20180422_225850.jpg (Filesize: 144.11 KB)
PSX_20180422_230009.jpg
* PSX_20180422_230009.jpg (Filesize: 123.15 KB)

us Offline jalind

• No Life Club
Reply #26417 on: April 23, 2018, 04:57:14 AM
My latest SAK, not new though--my old Champion with new scales made of wood burl from Bali, Indonesia.

:2tu:
I haven't seen burl like that on other than (smoking) pipes. I'm very curious how the Vic logo was inlaid onto them!

John

us Offline jalind

• No Life Club
Reply #26418 on: April 23, 2018, 05:04:49 AM

An Alox MiniChamp . . .

John

Now I love the pen.

Seems the shiny blades have nothing to reflect.
Not really a collector . . . more "accumulator" of watches as well as SAKs. I carry and wear and use them all.
 :D
John
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 05:05:54 AM by jalind »
John

ch Offline Syem

• No Life Club
Reply #26419 on: April 23, 2018, 08:20:33 AM
These scales are absolutely gorgeous!

us Offline jalind

• No Life Club
Reply #26420 on: April 23, 2018, 08:31:50 AM

Thanks, no I do not actively look out for watches for quite a while now  ::)

I don't follow YouTube watch reviewers either, although the very colorful Archie Luxury can be entertaining in spite of his considerable horological ignorance (a fixation on Patek Philippe among other serious flaws). Be forewarned, his videos are most assuredly NSFW as he drops F-bombs repeatedly throughout along with other considerable cursing.

I knew who Sinn is immediately, along with the legendary (now discontinued) Lemania 5100 chronograph movement, also used by Fortis and Tutima. Sinn is an excellent German watch company based in Frankfurt, A.M. noted for their aviation related watches. Movements are Swiss. The Lemania 5100 was noted for its simplicity and robustness under extreme conditions (the g-forces mentioned) with space application, not just aviation. Not surprising, given the general price of Sinn watches, and Lemania 5100 powered chronographs in particular, that it got him in trouble if the purchase weren't disclosed and discussed beforehand  ;) Note that what survived from Lemania in the 1980's was bought by Breguet in the 1990's, which is part of the Swatch Group. An Omega 321 derived from the Lemania CH27 movement was used in the Omega chronographs bought by NASA during the Gemini and Apollo missions and used for the moon landings.

While there are many watch companies, there are comparatively very few watch movement makers. The overwhelming majority are made by Seiko (mechanical and quartz; SII is their subsidiary that sells to others), Citizen via their subsidiary, Miyota (mechanical and quartz), ETA which is part of the Swatch Group in Switzerland (mechanical and quartz), Ronda in Switzerland (primarily quartz, but mechanical again as of 2016), and Sellita in Switzerland (mechanical; makes ETA clones as they were a contract manufacturer for them for many years). There are others but with small production numbers and generally in-house "manufacture" for extremely high priced luxury watches, such as Audemars Piguet. Numerous companies in the Richemont Group, such as the better known of their brands, Panerai, make their own movements. There are brands in Switzerland that put Rolex with its carefully crafted hood ornament marketing, and companies that sell exclusivity ostentation like Tag Heuer to shame.

Most of the YouTube watch reviewers are about the brands and they do not have the depth of horological knowledge to talk much about what's under the dial, which is akin to the engine under the hood of a vehicle. A wrissmurfch is three things: (1) a piece of jewelry worn on the wrist, (2) a precision timekeeping instrument, and (3) a housing to protect the precision instrument. The vast majority of YouTube reviewers focus on the first and mention the second, at best, in passing.

As a side comment, the two traditional watchmaking regions in Germany (movements in particular) are Pforzheim, south of Frankfurt A.M. about halfway between there and Zurich, and Ghashuette, just south of Dresden. Post WWII recovery had its ups and downs with central Pforzheim being completely destroyed near the end of the war with incendiary firebombing and Glahuette being gutted by the Soviets for reparations. Glashuette has reemerged stronger than ever following the reunification after having been under the thumb of the DDR and bootheel of the Soviet Union, with Union, Glashuette Original, Nomos, A. Lange & Sohne and Muehle-Glashuette. Pforzheim is noted for Stowa, Laco and Aristo now. I've undoubtedly left out some companies in both regions. These are the ones that came to mind quickly.

John

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #26421 on: April 23, 2018, 12:32:55 PM

Beautiful SAK MrWilson! :like: :tu: :tu:

nl Offline Mactire404

• There's a SAK for that!
Reply #26422 on: April 23, 2018, 12:39:25 PM

Wonderful! And the one with the cherryblossom is awesome too!
My SAK collection and more: http://pocketknives.home.blog

nl Offline glenfiddich1983

• aka "G-Fiddle" and "Glen-Fizzle"
Reply #26423 on: April 23, 2018, 01:30:25 PM

Nice!
[--- arms length ---] (-.-) 

^-- where the cat sits

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #26424 on: April 23, 2018, 01:33:09 PM
Excellent scales Mr Wilson :dd:  :like:
fail to prepare prepare to fail

us Offline jalind

• No Life Club
Reply #26425 on: April 24, 2018, 02:06:18 AM
 :woohoo:
BNIB SwissBuck Trekker arrived . . .

John

ph Offline MrWilson

• just another SAK EDC'er
Reply #26426 on: April 24, 2018, 06:38:21 AM

:2tu:
I haven't seen burl like that on other than (smoking) pipes. I'm very curious how the Vic logo was inlaid onto them!

John

According to the modder, I asked the same question and I forgot about how it is done. But one can actually take off the Vic logo off the cellidor scales (I forgot how but its possible). Then transfer it to the custom scales. I think it will only work if working on wood that we put some top layer of polished material (I know its not lacquer) that makes it shiny.

Thanks WSpeed, glenfiddich, Vicman, Syem for liking the scales.  :cheers: :tu:

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #26427 on: April 24, 2018, 08:31:34 AM
You can carve besides the Vic logo to retrieve it and glue it onto custom scales.

Some varnish will smoothen it out.

Did it once myself.

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #26428 on: April 24, 2018, 12:56:24 PM
 :woohoo:
BNIB SwissBuck Trekker arrived . . .

John

Nice SwissBuck John! :like: :tu: :tu:

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #26429 on: April 24, 2018, 12:57:34 PM
You can carve besides the Vic logo to retrieve it and glue it onto custom scales.

Some varnish will smoothen it out.

Did it once myself.

Good looking SAK Mechanickal! :like: :tu: :tu:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56