Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What's your latest SAK?

edap617 · 37479 · 2513901

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Re: What's your latest SAK?
Reply #90 on: December 05, 2010, 09:56:24 PM
Nice pattern, I don't think I've seen waves before.
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #91 on: December 05, 2010, 11:55:06 PM
Nice; someone just sold an Ensign on ebay with the same pattern.

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #92 on: December 06, 2010, 09:08:23 AM
My latest SAK is an older Executive. It has aluminium tweezers and a single leaf scissor spring. I noticed that the scales are a bit thinner than those on current 74mm models :) Didn't know that.
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

gb Offline Neil

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #93 on: December 06, 2010, 10:42:45 AM
I'd not noticed that :think: Could it be that the one you've just acquired has been polished thinner?

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #94 on: December 06, 2010, 10:45:59 AM
I'd not noticed that :think: Could it be that the one you've just acquired has been polished thinner?

Hmm... that could be the case. I'll check it out later today (or later this week ;) ). I will also take a couple of pictures.

Edit: a pic:

I don't think it has been polished. The tweezers & toothpick are a little bit thinner as well.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 11:13:31 AM by Reinier »

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #95 on: December 06, 2010, 11:28:07 AM
More pictures of my Victoria Executive :)

BTW: no keyring :)
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 11:39:05 AM by Reinier »

gb Offline Neil

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #96 on: December 06, 2010, 02:01:46 PM
Certainly doesn't look polished thin.  I don't think I've got any cellidor 74mm quite that old to do a compare contrast.

us Offline stressmaster5000

• No Life Club
  • No PM's - just email please
Reply #97 on: December 06, 2010, 06:46:26 PM
My latest SAK is an older Executive. It has aluminium tweezers and a single leaf scissor spring. I noticed that the scales are a bit thinner than those on current 74mm models :) Didn't know that.
I have several older 74mm Executives some with Victoria and I noticed that many have these thin scales. The modern inserts do not work very well in them either.

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #98 on: December 06, 2010, 06:51:56 PM
And do you have any idea when those thinner scales were made? I think they are very nice, they make the knife just a little more sleek.

• No Life Club
Reply #99 on: December 06, 2010, 07:03:46 PM
And do you have any idea when those thinner scales were made? I think they are very nice, they make the knife just a little more sleek.
Not really.

I noticed your old Victoria Executive has the fine serrations on the orange peeler blade. I have noticed on some real old Executives/Directors there is a smooth edged orange peeler blade and then I also have several older Executives with fine serration orange peeler blades. I also have an Executive with riveted scales that have the smooth edged orange peeler blade. I got a couple of Executives with a bail too. They have fine serrations.

• No Life Club
Reply #100 on: December 07, 2010, 02:27:36 AM
Picked up this Victorinox WorkChamp from Dennis. Its like new and pretty hefty. The metal saw/file is the newer style with very aggressive cutting edges.

us Offline jazzbass

• No Life Club
Reply #101 on: December 07, 2010, 02:49:01 AM
My latest - a late 1940s Armee Suisse 91mm Waiter. The scales are not in the greatest shape as you can see, but the price was right ($2).

Now, there something quite unusual about this knife that is visible in this picture if you're observant enough. I wasn't, and didn't notice it until after I got the knife. Bonus points to whoever can figure it out. Only half bonus points to Stressmaster - I know he has one of these, too, and can cheat  :D

us Online gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #102 on: December 07, 2010, 03:18:33 AM
My latest - a late 1940s Armee Suisse 91mm Waiter. The scales are not in the greatest shape as you can see, but the price was right ($2).

Now, there something quite unusual about this knife that is visible in this picture if you're observant enough. I wasn't, and didn't notice it until after I got the knife. Bonus points to whoever can figure it out. Only half bonus points to Stressmaster - I know he has one of these, too, and can cheat  :D

Hmm  :think:

Odd nail nick placement because of can opener?  :think:

Only 3 pins instead of 4?  :think:

I think you should post it to me so I can look it over and figure it out!  :mail: :pok:

:D
« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 03:24:23 AM by gustophersmob »
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

• No Life Club
Reply #103 on: December 07, 2010, 03:19:51 AM

(Image removed from quote.)

:P

• No Life Club
Reply #104 on: December 07, 2010, 03:24:02 AM

:D
Actually the Victorinox Officer knives I have handled from the 1940's all have this odd more centered placement of the nail nick. If you get a photo of this knife with both top side tools closed you will see that the nick for the blade is slightly obscured by the can opener.
[/quote]
« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 03:26:19 AM by stressmaster5000 »

us Online gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #105 on: December 07, 2010, 03:30:34 AM
Is it that the can opener would have to close on the opposite side of the blade from the modern waiter (based on the nail nick being visible)?  :think:
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

us Offline jazzbass

• No Life Club
Reply #106 on: December 07, 2010, 03:37:41 AM
Hmm  :think:

Only 3 pins instead of 4?  :think:

Both excellent guesses, but no. Like Wayne said, this is the typical nail nick position for 1940s era knives. The crab claw can opener sits a lot higher than the caplifter that is currently found in this position, so the nick on the main blade needs to be centered to be accessible. A modern style blade in a crab claw type knife would be all but unopenable without opening the can opener first.

As for the rivets, another good guess, but no. Vic went to three visible rivets in the 1930s, so all knives from then until the late 50s when the hidden rivet knives show up are three rivet knives.

I'll give one sorta-kinda hint: I have > 300 91mm knives in my collection, dating from the early 1940s to present. This is the only 91mm knife I have ever seen or know of with this feature. It's visible in the picture if you know what to look for.

us Offline jazzbass

• No Life Club
Reply #107 on: December 07, 2010, 03:38:40 AM
Is it that the can opener would have to close on the opposite side of the blade from the modern waiter (based on the nail nick being visible)?  :think:

:D Yes... meaning - what exactly  ???
« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 03:40:55 AM by jazzbass »

us Online gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #108 on: December 07, 2010, 03:41:13 AM

Yes... meaning...  ???

Meaning on a modern waiter (or any modern SAK's blade layer), the blade would be on "top" when you looked at it from the side with the shield as in your pic; with the secondary tool, in this case the can opener, behind it.

Based on the fact that I can see the nail nick on your Waiter, the can opener would have to close in front of the blade in order for it to be accessible.  Which is backwards from modern ones.

Hopefully that made sense
« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 03:43:00 AM by gustophersmob »

us Online gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #109 on: December 07, 2010, 03:46:58 AM
OK, one final shot-in-the-dark guess (as you can see, I'm really into this for some reason  :D):

It looks like I can see just a hint of a back spring poking out beneath the main blade which might mean it would be flush with the liners to make it stick out that far. 

Quite unusual for a knife with back spring tools to have springs flush with the liner.  At least it is on modern Vics.

I have never seen an older one like this in person though, so I really have no idea what I'm even talking about. ;)

us Offline jazzbass

• No Life Club
Reply #110 on: December 07, 2010, 03:52:45 AM
Meaning on a modern waiter (or any modern SAK's blade layer), the blade would be on "top" when you looked at it from the side with the shield as in your pic; with the secondary tool, in this case the can opener, behind it.

Based on the fact that I can see the nail nick on your Waiter, the can opener would have to close in front of the blade in order for it to be accessible.  Which is backwards from modern ones.

Hopefully that made sense

:tu:

Nice - that's it exactly. Yeah, hard to explain but that's exactly what I was looking for. The blade on every 91mm SAK is ground at an angle like a wedge. This is so the pen blade/large end tool can close on the other side. On EVERY SAK I've ever seen the large end tool (awl, screwdriver, combo tool, caplifter, whatever) closes behind the large blade. Since this can opener closes in front of the blade, this means that the large blade in this knife itself is ground in a wedge shape that is reversed from pretty much every other 91mm SAK ever made.

FWIW, I have a 1950s version of this same knife where the can opener (same crab claw style) is positioned in the normal combo-tool location - behind the main blade. In this case, the can opener is a specially made tool designed for the Waiter (a la the combo tool) and not the standard production can opener (as this one is) with a different blade.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 03:56:05 AM by jazzbass »

us Online gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #111 on: December 07, 2010, 03:56:01 AM
 :ahhh I win!!!  :ahhh

Wait, what did I win?  :think:

;)

us Offline jazzbass

• No Life Club
Reply #112 on: December 07, 2010, 04:02:50 AM

;)

You got some points. Um... 50 of them. You can redeem them for some nice items in the gift shop.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #113 on: December 07, 2010, 09:30:29 AM

$2!  I'll double your money and give you $4, now you won't get an offer like that every day. :D

Gorgeous SAK though mate. :drool:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #114 on: December 07, 2010, 10:07:26 AM
I noticed your old Victoria Executive has the fine serrations on the orange peeler blade. I have noticed on some real old Executives/Directors there is a smooth edged orange peeler blade and then I also have several older Executives with fine serration orange peeler blades. I also have an Executive with riveted scales that have the smooth edged orange peeler blade. I got a couple of Executives with a bail too. They have fine serrations.

I noticed that too. I think I first saw the different versions of the orange peeler on your blog :D

By the way, I'd love to see pics of Executives with a bail! <--- edit: found them on your site  :tu:
« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 10:10:02 AM by Reinier »

gb Offline Neil

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #115 on: December 07, 2010, 10:34:33 AM

Bargain on the golden oldie :tu:  Someone everyone else wasn't paying attention :D

us Online gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #116 on: December 07, 2010, 04:33:54 PM

;)

You got some points. Um... 50 of them. You can redeem them for some nice items in the gift shop.

Yeah! Just a few more and I can redeem them for this!  :climber:

;)
platinum_SAK.jpg
* platinum_SAK.jpg (Filesize: 14.1 KB)

ca Offline Käfer

Reply #117 on: December 08, 2010, 12:07:32 AM
Here's my latest:

us Online gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #118 on: December 08, 2010, 12:24:51 AM
Here's my latest:

I like these more and more each time I see them.  The wood grain is very nice.  :tu:

ca Offline Käfer

Reply #119 on: December 08, 2010, 12:31:56 AM
Pictures just can't do them justice.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62