Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

September's Sosak

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
September's Sosak
on: September 01, 2007, 06:41:30 PM
September's Sosak is up and it's packet with really decent article's, so get yourself over there for a look :)

http://www.sosakonline.com/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1

Big thanks for everyone who took the time to right the articles :)

The possible death of the alox line has got me worried, so I'm doing the right thing by robbing a bank to save as may alox knives as I can, anyone with me ??? , I stilll need a getaway driver and some help working the GPS :D
« Last Edit: September 01, 2007, 06:44:25 PM by micky d »
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: September's Sosak
Reply #1 on: September 01, 2007, 09:13:40 PM
To heck with the bank- I'm robbing Felinevet! :P

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Reply #2 on: September 01, 2007, 09:47:38 PM
To heck with the bank- I'm robbing Felinevet! :P

Def
now that's a plan!, lend me the airfare and it's a deal ;)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: September 01, 2007, 09:49:46 PM
Airfare?  I'll mail you my inflatable raft...  send a distress call and bring Dunc along! :D

Seriously, for some reason, this month's SOSAKOnline seemed like a significant amount more work than usual, and I am pretty pleased with what we came up with this time.  It was a lot of effort on the parts of quite a few people, but in the end it's all worth it.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Reply #4 on: September 01, 2007, 09:56:06 PM
Airfare?  I'll mail you my inflatable raft...  send a distress call and bring Dunc along! :D

Seriously, for some reason, this month's SOSAKOnline seemed like a significant amount more work than usual, and I am pretty pleased with what we came up with this time.  It was a lot of effort on the parts of quite a few people, but in the end it's all worth it.

Def
I've always been a huge fan of sosakonline, but the last two months really have been something special, and all the hard work realy show's

I'm sure Dunc will be on board with our little scheme anyway >:D and I'll bet his life boat will have some seriously big motor's on them to outrun the yankee coast guard ;D
« Last Edit: September 01, 2007, 10:00:32 PM by micky d »

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: September 01, 2007, 10:15:23 PM
If the US Coast Guard gives you any trouble (shouldn't since you'll be well North of their waters!) just try to look Cuban!   ;D

It's funny actually- most of the work I did this month was behind the scenes type work- updating keywords, descriptions etc... you won't see any of it, but hopefully it should increase the page ranking on the search engines, which hopefully will add up to increases in membership.

I think we've gone about as far as we can with the software the way it is now- we are likely going to have to make some major changes very soon, which very well may kill Esteban and I!

Def

Reply #6 on: September 01, 2007, 10:19:19 PM
If the US Coast Guard gives you any trouble (shouldn't since you'll be well North of their waters!) just try to look Cuban!   ;D

It's funny actually- most of the work I did this month was behind the scenes type work- updating keywords, descriptions etc... you won't see any of it, but hopefully it should increase the page ranking on the search engines, which hopefully will add up to increases in membership.

I think we've gone about as far as we can with the software the way it is now- we are likely going to have to make some major changes very soon, which very well may kill Esteban and I!

Def
If you kark it, can you write me in to you will first?

Offline zackhugh

Reply #7 on: September 01, 2007, 10:33:13 PM

OK, I know Def told me it was dangerous to quote you, but all this slang has me googling.  I guessed the meaning from context, but just to be sure I did a search.  I should be better prepared if I ever make it over there.  "He was so skint, he had nothing to eat and karked it."  Is that right?  Apparently in Australia, I can also say "cactus" instead of "kark it."  Where's dingosrun to confirm?

Reply #8 on: September 01, 2007, 10:35:08 PM

OK, I know Def told me it was dangerous to quote you, but all this slang has me googling.  I guessed the meaning from context, but just to be sure I did a search.  I should be better prepared if I ever make it over there.  "He was so skint, he had nothing to eat and karked it."  Is that right?  Apparently in Australia, I can also say "cactus" instead of "kark it."  Where's dingosrun to confirm?
Bang on the money fella  :D to kark it is to die!

Reply #9 on: September 01, 2007, 10:36:44 PM
And Def was right if you quote me your in danger of being thought of as an idiot just like me ;)

Offline zackhugh

Reply #10 on: September 01, 2007, 10:38:47 PM

Def

OK, back on topic.  Don't want to spread the "leather man corn hole" topic over to this thread.  Anyway, I agree that the last two months at SOSAK have been exemplary.  Lots of cool articles to draw in new enthusiasts and keep old enthusiasts interested.  Actually, I wouldn't mind seeing you change the layout a little bit.  I've missed seeing some articles and features, I suppose because of how the software displays the information. 

Still, nice work over there!

Reply #11 on: September 01, 2007, 10:41:39 PM

Def

OK, back on topic.  Don't want to spread the "leather man corn hole" topic over to this thread.  Anyway, I agree that the last two months at SOSAK have been exemplary.  Lots of cool articles to draw in new enthusiasts and keep old enthusiasts interested.  Actually, I wouldn't mind seeing you change the layout a little bit.  I've missed seeing some articles and features, I suppose because of how the software displays the information. 
It is a little awkward to use, especially if your trying too find something specific, but the Def empire are aware of the software's short comings, so it'll be fixed sooner or later

Offline zackhugh

Reply #12 on: September 01, 2007, 10:45:25 PM
And Def was right if you quote me your in danger of being thought of as an idiot just like me ;)

I dunno.  Anyone who likes SAKs and Swisstools as much as you can't be that bad.  :multi: (Aside: This smiley always makes me think it's a tourist posing for a picture at the Empire State Building or something). 

Besides, the world needs all the people it can to ally against that Leatherman madness.  :o ;D :pok:  Geez, hope they don't lurk here and unsubscribe me from their newsletter.

Reply #13 on: September 01, 2007, 10:49:38 PM

I dunno.  Anyone who likes SAKs and Swisstools as much as you can't be that bad.  :multi: (Aside: This smiley always makes me think it's a tourist posing for a picture at the Empire State Building or something). 

Besides, the world needs all the people it can to ally against that Leatherman madness.  :o ;D :pok:  Geez, hope they don't lurk here and unsubscribe me from their newsletter.
:D :D :D

Too true about the leatherman bias, beside's leatherman's are just fine as long as you keep them away from water, humidity, sweat and pictures containing water ;) ;D

Offline zackhugh

Reply #14 on: September 01, 2007, 11:06:03 PM
At least I was in the Swiss Forum when I posted that!

Hey, since we're both islanders (my island's a tad smaller), we know about water, salt, and humidity and what they do to knives and tools.  I haven't had problems with my Leatherman tools (though the same can't be said about one of my Gerbers), but corrosion is a real issue in some places.  Not a spot of rust on my 25 year old Vic Champion.

Reply #15 on: September 01, 2007, 11:13:53 PM
At least I was in the Swiss Forum when I posted that!

Hey, since we're both islanders (my island's a tad smaller), we know about water, salt, and humidity and what they do to knives and tools.  I haven't had problems with my Leatherman tools (though the same can't be said about one of my Gerbers), but corrosion is a real issue in some places.  Not a spot of rust on my 25 year old Vic Champion.
Exactly why I'm a swiss man through and through, I've had leatherman's and despite a lot of care and attention they did spot with rust all the time,  :angry:

I've just got back from a holiday by the sea with my son, and I took an alox farmer with me, and after 5 days of sea air and general damp, it's fine, not the slightest hint of corotion. :) :) :)

Victorinox and Wenger may well not use the latest in knife steel's, but there reliable in any and all condition's, backed up by a cast iron warrenty, by a company that's been in the business for over a hundred years!

what more could you want ;)

Reply #16 on: September 01, 2007, 11:15:44 PM
Oh and what island, I think you'd strugle to find one smaller than ole blighty ;D

Offline zackhugh

Reply #17 on: September 01, 2007, 11:36:00 PM
Victorinox and Wenger may well not use the latest in knife steel's, but there reliable in any and all condition's, backed up by a cast iron warrenty, by a company that's been in the business for over a hundred years!

Yeah, it's amazing to me that they've used more or less the same steel (I assume anyway--I guess Def or someone will be along to correct me if I'm wrong) for a long time and it refuses to rust and still cuts very well. 

Funny, I've always thought Victorinox should make a bigger fixed blade and make a sheath to piggyback a Swisstool or SAK in it.  I wonder if that steel would work for a five-inch utility blade...

I had to send my father's Executive in for repair.  I let him use my Minichamp in the interim. :)  I forget, there was something weird with a backspring and the scissors.  I was a little hesitant, thinking they might say he abused it and it's not covered under warranty.  However, they fixed it right up and shipped it back (for free), oiled and functioning perfectly.  I could not ask for better service.

I'm on Oahu in the Hawaiian islands.  I suppose I could be on a smaller island like Molokai, but I think it would be harder to get SAKs and multis there, at least in a store.  We're at opposite ends of the world but I think normally online around the same time.

Reply #18 on: September 01, 2007, 11:43:58 PM

Yeah, it's amazing to me that they've used more or less the same steel (I assume anyway--I guess Def or someone will be along to correct me if I'm wrong) for a long time and it refuses to rust and still cuts very well. 

Funny, I've always thought Victorinox should make a bigger fixed blade and make a sheath to piggyback a Swisstool or SAK in it.  I wonder if that steel would work for a five-inch utility blade...

I had to send my father's Executive in for repair.  I let him use my Minichamp in the interim. :)  I forget, there was something weird with a backspring and the scissors.  I was a little hesitant, thinking they might say he abused it and it's not covered under warranty.  However, they fixed it right up and shipped it back (for free), oiled and functioning perfectly.  I could not ask for better service.

I'm on Oahu in the Hawaiian islands.  I suppose I could be on a smaller island like Molokai, but I think it would be harder to get SAKs and multis there, at least in a store.  We're at opposite ends of the world but I think normally online around the same time.
aloha then mate ;D

Feel free to send me a barong anytime ;)

As for the executive's I seem to recall tim (felinevet) saying that of all the sak's he's handled (which is probably thousand's) that the 74mm were the one's most likely to have problem's :cry: but as you said Victorinox gave you no problem's on the service front, which is as it should be :)

The older sak's used carbon steel blade's what type I don't know but I'm sure one of the other's will  :)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #19 on: September 02, 2007, 05:25:10 AM
Want to hear something funny?  I was posting the SAK of the Month this month and as I was accessing the article from the Admin section, up came the SAK of the Month for September '06!  We have been doing the SAK of the Month for a whole year as of this month!

Didn't know that!  It doesn't seem that long, and I'll be damned if I remember what all the SAK of the Months were! :D

Def

Offline Viper

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: September 02, 2007, 06:13:31 AM
You have to do the SwissChamp or the XLT month, since it's my birthday!  ;D :D
[

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #21 on: September 02, 2007, 01:59:26 PM
Your birthday's late- we did the SwissChamp in June!

http://www.sosakonline.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=179&Itemid=35

:D

Def

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #22 on: September 02, 2007, 05:20:59 PM
Just was over checking out this month's SOSAKOnline front page. Great job Def! I must say that the new format, with the grid layout, is very nice! I like it a lot better. Everything that is new for this month is right there at a glance. Well done!
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline Viper

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: September 02, 2007, 08:09:11 PM
That's why my back-up was the XLT! I have a long list if that doesn't work  ;)
[

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #24 on: September 02, 2007, 11:43:01 PM
I don't have an XLT so unless someone steps up and writes the article and provides some excellent pictures, I am afraid it will have to wait.

Def

Offline Viper

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: September 03, 2007, 06:05:20 AM
Pick me! Pick me!

I have tomorrow off!  ;D
[

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00