Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Beef Jerky

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Beef Jerky
on: September 08, 2007, 04:42:48 AM
What's everyones favorite dehydrated meats?  Earlier this week I bought some Wild Bill's beef jerky at the liqour store and it was so good, I ordered 24 cans of it from ebay!  It's made out in PA and as far as I can tell distribution isn't that great (I've only seen it in one store).  www.wildbillsfoods.com

Before that it was Jack Link's jerky for the past few weeks; it's basically the same price as Wild Bill's...but not as good.

And waaay before that it was Slim Jims :grin:

[

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Beef Jerky
Reply #1 on: September 08, 2007, 04:49:01 AM
I could live off beef jerky!  Jack Links is about all that's available around here unless you go to some small smokehouses.  Some of them are good, others are not so good.  Always look in the kitchen at one of those places.  If it's clean and there are no animals lounging around on the food prep surfaces then it's probably not good!

One of these days I am going to buy myself one of those home jerky machines and make all kinds of dehydrated animal parts...

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: September 08, 2007, 05:06:44 AM
Last month a guy at work brought in a batch of smoked turkey jerky. OMG was it good! I can't hardly wait for the next batch!
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

br Offline M.TEX

Reply #3 on: September 08, 2007, 05:52:34 AM
 Ummmmmmmmmm Im just waiting for the next gun and knife show here in my
Town....There is a guy from Maybe New Hampshire or Maine ??? not sure ...He does some Good stuff ... Not only Jerky but , Cheese , Sausages etc....All home
made....This time I will get his web address...so this way I don't need to wait for
another show.... :grin:  :cheers:

BTW the show is in Marlborough - MA at the end of this Month.
You can find more info at Northeast shooters forums...
M.TEX

Offline Viper

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: September 08, 2007, 08:39:42 AM
I love Hombre, but it's quite pricey and fairly hard to find, they also make beef sticks flavored with Worceshire (spelling???) sauce. The beef sticks are the best beef sticks I've ever had too, and they are actually really cheap, although harder to find than a smart blonde.
[

Offline Sparkey

• Road Monkey
Reply #5 on: September 08, 2007, 02:36:32 PM
There's a beef jerky outlet near here...right next to bass pro! I got a variety pack of elk, deer, and buffalo...good stuff. And they have a mix and match section which is really cool, just load up a bag and go! ;D
"

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
Reply #6 on: September 09, 2007, 09:16:25 PM
Mmmmmmmmmm...jerky! I like Link's and Bridgford's jerkys.If Wild Bill's is as good as those other Pennsy taste treats...Snyder's of Berlin potato chips,and Clark bars...then the taste buds are in for a whale of a ride.
I

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #7 on: September 09, 2007, 09:21:27 PM
Mmmmmmmmmm...jerky! I like Link's and Bridgford's jerkys.If Wild Bill's is as good as those other Pennsy taste treats...Snyder's of Berlin potato chips,and Clark bars...then the taste buds are in for a whale of a ride.
This is probably a stupid question, but just how unhealthy is jerky ???

I mean beside's the salt content, there's probably not alot of fat to worry about is there?
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: September 09, 2007, 09:38:33 PM
Not much fat no, but anything that's been burned or seared apparently contains carcinogens, so I'd read that eating jerky can increase the risk of getting cancer.  But then, so can smoking, breathing, and probably going potty.  In short I don't think theres anything left that won't cause some kind of cancer.  In fact, I think avoiding things that may cause cancer and worrying about cancer causes cancer...

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Reply #9 on: September 09, 2007, 09:49:29 PM
Not much fat no, but anything that's been burned or seared apparently contains carcinogens, so I'd read that eating jerky can increase the risk of getting cancer.  But then, so can smoking, breathing, and probably going potty.  In short I don't think theres anything left that won't cause some kind of cancer.  In fact, I think avoiding things that may cause cancer and worrying about cancer causes cancer...

Def
not that your a cynic of course ;) ;D

I don't worry about it to much, if it get's me it get's me.

I do try and stay a bit health if i can, I'm the only one of my mates/relative's in there 30's without a bear gut, so I need to stay fit so I can carry on taking the piss out of them and hitting on there women ;D

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: September 09, 2007, 10:01:38 PM
Yeah, but then you cyclists are going to die from either being hit by a bus or breathing their fumes!   >:D

Def

Reply #11 on: September 09, 2007, 10:08:45 PM
Yeah, but then you cyclists are going to die from either being hit by a bus or breathing their fumes!   >:D

Def
Nothing wrong with sucking diesel ;D

Busses I can live with it's all these bloody 4x4's, they never ever leave you anywhere enough room >:(

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: September 09, 2007, 10:22:44 PM
I like 4x4's... but then with the weather around here I think they are necessary!

Def

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #13 on: September 09, 2007, 10:25:12 PM
Just like anything else...if you eat a case of jerky a day, you're going to get fat and sick.  If you have a ounce or two every other day or so as a snack, you should be fine. :grin:

I'll be getting my order tomorrow at work via UPS.  Yes, I've been tracking my shipment of jerky...I'm splitting it three ways with the other guys I work with.  
[

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #14 on: September 09, 2007, 10:46:41 PM
You guys hiring? :D

Def

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: September 10, 2007, 05:14:45 AM

Def
                Will work for jerky? As opposed to "will work for jerks". :grin:
I

Reply #16 on: September 10, 2007, 09:57:05 AM

Def
:D :D :D

good one mate ;D

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #17 on: September 10, 2007, 12:12:18 PM

Def

I'd have to try that- I am sick of it being the other way around!

Def

Offline jock1

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: September 10, 2007, 01:06:00 PM

Def

Busses I can live with it's all these bloody 4x4's, they never ever leave you anywhere enough room >:(
That cause they are usually driven by the schoolrun mum or some arrogant A****** whos too busy yakking on there mobile

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #19 on: September 10, 2007, 02:02:49 PM
I guess since I don't have kids, I must be the second one!  ;D

Def

Reply #20 on: September 10, 2007, 02:32:23 PM

Def

That cause they are usually driven by the schoolrun mum or some arrogant A****** whos too busy yakking on there mobile
Tell me about it >:(! It's just as well i'm so skinny or I would have been squished ages ago ;D

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Reply #21 on: September 11, 2007, 04:24:45 AM
Try Uncle Mikes Beef Jerky.  It is made in Lancaster, Ohio I believe.  I det it at the local meat market.  Of course it is manufactured about an hour away from where I live so I do not know how readily available it is in other places.  I buy it by the two pound bag.  It costs about $25.  But it lasts a while. 

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: September 11, 2007, 04:31:05 AM
I'll look for Uncle Mike's.I'm maybe an hour and a half from Lankster,as they pronounce it Central Uhia ;D It's getting onto that time of year when I start hankering for Lebanon bologna and smoked cheese,and the farm markets up that way are generally my best bets for them.
I

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Reply #23 on: September 11, 2007, 04:35:52 AM
Leboneese Below Knee is available at Wol-Mart

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #24 on: September 11, 2007, 04:45:35 AM
Well, today was jerky day.  24 cans!

It tastes great and I like the little container it comes in (can be pocketed, just stay away from dogs!).  However I don't really like it shredded, I like it in the "biteable" form.  That's my next order when my 8 cans are gone! ;D

I'll try Uncle Mike's if I can find it...I'll see if they have awebsite..
[

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Reply #25 on: September 11, 2007, 04:55:00 AM
I will hunt some up soon once it is in stock at the meat market it is gone the next day.  That is why I buy in bulk.  Possibly send some your way if I can get a hold of some.  It comes in small packs too. 

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%