Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Leatherman Surge Black (literally!)

noyan · 10 · 2530

Offline noyan

• New User
Leatherman Surge Black (literally!)
on: September 04, 2007, 11:16:14 AM
Hi everyone,
I've decided to carry around a tougher multitool than my victorinox camper (it is probably not the correct name for it but I bought it 15 years ago so I really have no clue what the real name is) and I went ahead and bought a black Surge.  Now my hands are covered in black powder all over. I wiped it off, washed it off and wiped it again but I just can't seem to get rid of the black residue on the unit.   I doubt that this is meant to be this way.  Can anyone provide pointers on how to get rid of this residue ? I've also noticed that the knife, the saw etc. are really difficult to open.  I almost ripped one of my finger nails trying to open the saw.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Leatherman Surge Black (literally!)
Reply #1 on: September 04, 2007, 01:07:19 PM
Unfortunately, that is one of the problems with many black coated tools.  All I can tell you is that both the tools and the coating will get better with use.  If you want to try lubricating the tools to see if that helps, try using powdered graphite rather than a liquid oil since oil tends to attract and collect crapola in the joints that will just make the problem that much worse.  You can also use the tried and true method of Prime time TV to loosen up your tool.  Sit yourself down in front of the tube and open and close the tool absentmindedly for an evening.

Welcome to the forum, and good luck to you!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline noyan

• New User
Reply #2 on: September 04, 2007, 04:50:36 PM
Defender,

Thank you for the reply.  I think spray it throughly with WD40 and let it drip over night to see what happens. And for the next night, I'll do as suggested and play along with it while watching TV.

Actually, I should have known better than purchasing a black coated tool.  I kind of expected it to be somewhat similar to my Blackops Stratofighter. I am probably going to get scratches all over showing gray metal below the coating and looking like hell probably. Oh well.

Cheers

Noyan

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #3 on: September 04, 2007, 06:20:13 PM
Welcome to the forum Noyan!

I've had to deal with the black stuff on a couple of knives and tools. It's annoying, but not seriously so. I wipe it all off as best I can, then oil it all up and wipe it again. Most of the black is gone after a couple wipings. Sounds like your Surge must be a particularly sooty one.
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #4 on: September 04, 2007, 08:36:23 PM
Glad to help any way I can.  you may want to consider using mineral oil instead of WD 40 or other lubricants in the future as it's cheap and readily available, plus it's food safe in case you ever find yourself opening packages or preparing food.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #5 on: September 05, 2007, 01:23:00 AM
I am probably going to get scratches all over showing gray metal below the coating and looking like hell probably. Oh well.

Hey, some of us like the 'used' look! ;D
[

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Reply #6 on: September 06, 2007, 07:13:28 PM
Interestingly enough I have either not had this problem or it was too minor to notice it.  I have a black SOG powerlock.  I carried it in the field so I guess if there was a problem, blood, sweat, dirt and other stuff will get rid of the problem quickly. :)

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: September 07, 2007, 04:16:30 PM
You can always wash it with dishsoap and a soft bristle brush. Avoid green scrubbie pads because they may scratch the finish. Then dry in a low oven or with a hairdryer, lubricate accordingly and the dust should be gone.

us Offline tango44

• VICTORINOX
Reply #8 on: September 12, 2007, 06:53:26 PM
Hi everyone,
I've decided to carry around a tougher multitool than my victorinox camper (it is probably not the correct name for it but I bought it 15 years ago so I really have no clue what the real name is) and I went ahead and bought a black Surge.  Now my hands are covered in black powder all over. I wiped it off, washed it off and wiped it again but I just can't seem to get rid of the black residue on the unit.   I doubt that this is meant to be this way.  Can anyone provide pointers on how to get rid of this residue ? I've also noticed that the knife, the saw etc. are really difficult to open.  I almost ripped one of my finger nails trying to open the saw.

What I did, when I got the black blast happened the same so every saturday when I cleaned my guns after a range session I sprayed the tool with WD-40 and after two weeks it was gone.

If this does not solve your problem I have an original inox surge that we can trade!
Enjoy!

Offline Viper

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: September 12, 2007, 10:19:46 PM
I had some trouble with my ALX for the first day or so, but my black Powerlock hasn't had trouble at all. No experience with a black SwissTool.
[

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD