Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

My two week old Swisstool has rust already

Guido · 51 · 7271

Offline Guido

My two week old Swisstool has rust already
on: August 06, 2010, 08:01:22 PM
I was out on the boat Wednesday evening and my Swisstool got wet.  When I got home I rinsed it off, but I didn't pull out each individual tool for a rinse and wipe down.  Given everything I've read about how rust resistant these are, I was very surprised to see this rust this AM. 
DSCF6312.JPG
* DSCF6312.JPG (Filesize: 101.21 KB)

Offline Guido

Re: My two week old Swisstool has rust already
Reply #1 on: August 06, 2010, 08:01:57 PM
More pics
DSCF6313.JPG
* DSCF6313.JPG (Filesize: 105.57 KB)

Offline Guido

Reply #2 on: August 06, 2010, 08:02:59 PM
And more still (sorry-don't know how to shrink them up on this MAC).
DSCF6316.JPG
* DSCF6316.JPG (Filesize: 105.54 KB)

Offline Guido

Reply #3 on: August 06, 2010, 08:03:31 PM
Uno mas.

DSCF6318.JPG
* DSCF6318.JPG (Filesize: 108.62 KB)

spam Offline John

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: August 06, 2010, 08:14:49 PM
Not surprising as it's not H1 steel and even that can rust so I've read, I'm sure it's just surface rust which can be rubbed of with wire wool  :tu: that said you mentioned not rinsing and wiping thoroughly,there ya go  ;)

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #5 on: August 06, 2010, 08:16:49 PM
Yea, but, but, but...

It's not a Leatherman!  :ahhh

:D

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #6 on: August 06, 2010, 08:17:30 PM
Vics rust, LM don't..  :ahhh :ahhh

spam Offline John

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: August 06, 2010, 08:20:45 PM
Vics rust, LM don't..  :ahhh :ahhh

Comon  :D leatherman + photo of sea in the same room= RUST  :pok:  :rofl:

england Offline Guardian

• Unless
Reply #8 on: August 06, 2010, 10:52:25 PM
Leathermans rust too....had a Charge TTI whose blade developed rust and it had never seen any water!!! The only salt water proof knives i have ever had are my SAK's. Stick them in sea water rinsw i fresh and thats i ever do,,,,no rust EVER!!!! :)
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."
― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

il Offline Threeme2189

• No Life Club
  • When in doubt, use a bigger hammer.
Reply #9 on: August 07, 2010, 01:01:32 AM
That really is the first time I have ever seen a Vic rust...
 :ahhh
Chuck Norris' preferred iron supplement is rebar.

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #10 on: August 07, 2010, 03:40:59 AM
Leathermans rust too....had a Charge TTI whose blade developed rust and it had never seen any water!!! The only salt water proof knives i have ever had are my SAK's. Stick them in sea water rinsw i fresh and thats i ever do,,,,no rust EVER!!!! :)

Oh, they can rust alright!

As John says, all steel can rust. Basically, if it's got iron in it - in the right circumstances it can oxidise.

Guido - I'd guess that it'll shift pretty easily given the high polish on the Vic tools. A bit of brasso will probably have it looking like new again, maybe some wire wool if it's managed to get in deeper already.
I used to come here a lot.

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: August 07, 2010, 03:59:37 AM
Not surprising as it's not H1 steel and even that can rust so I've read, I'm sure it's just surface rust which can be rubbed of with wire wool  :tu: that said you mentioned not rinsing and wiping thoroughly,there ya go  ;)

H1 doesn't rust.  One of my local knife shops set up a demonstration - Rock Salt in a glass jar filled with salt water.  A month in and the blade's perfectly rust free.

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: August 07, 2010, 04:17:11 AM

H1 doesn't rust.  One of my local knife shops set up a demonstration - Rock Salt in a glass jar filled with salt water.  A month in and the blade's perfectly rust free.

Go back after a year :D

I know H1 is great stuff, but in the right conditions I'm sure it can rust. Get them to suspend the knife with the blade half in the water, half exposed to the air - I remember doing that with nails in O level chemistry! If the blade is totally submerged, it would take ages for any decent steel to rust - you need oxygen too.

Offline josekym

Reply #13 on: August 07, 2010, 10:34:46 AM
Wow, a rusted Vic...  My first time to see one too!   :ahhh

But, I bet that wipes off pretty easy with a spritz of WD40.

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #14 on: August 07, 2010, 06:40:52 PM

Go back after a year :D

I know H1 is great stuff, but in the right conditions I'm sure it can rust. Get them to suspend the knife with the blade half in the water, half exposed to the air - I remember doing that with nails in O level chemistry! If the blade is totally submerged, it would take ages for any decent steel to rust - you need oxygen too.

H1 is very very rust resistant . Spyderco guarantee their H1 not to rust .

Dunc

us Offline 82brutus

Reply #15 on: August 07, 2010, 06:47:25 PM
After you rinsed it, was it stored out in the open or in a case and was the case damp?
“We shall neither fail nor falter; we shall not weaken or tire...give us the tools and we will finish the job.” - Winston Churchill

spam Offline John

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: August 07, 2010, 06:56:00 PM
Not surprising as it's not H1 steel and even that can rust so I've read, I'm sure it's just surface rust which can be rubbed of with wire wool  :tu: that said you mentioned not rinsing and wiping thoroughly,there ya go  ;)

H1 doesn't rust.  One of my local knife shops set up a demonstration - Rock Salt in a glass jar filled with salt water.  A month in and the blade's perfectly rust free.

Lets test this one I'll stick a SAK blade in a glass of salt water for a month,lets see what happens ;)

[edit] test started plenty of rock salt in a jar,chances are not a lot will happen  ;)

« Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 07:08:47 PM by John »

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #17 on: August 07, 2010, 07:07:23 PM
H1 is very very rust resistant . Spyderco guarantee their H1 not to rust .

Oh, I'm sure it's very rust resistant - and if you believe everything you read, H1 is as good as it gets.

The fact that Spyderco play the percentages by guaranteeing it against rust doesn't mean they don't think it can. It just means that they expect to have to honour that guarantee very rarely - in return for a gazillion knives sold on that guarantee! (See Gerber's lifetime warranty, Leatherman's 25 year warranty etc). It's just good advertising at the end of the day :)

spam Offline John

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: August 07, 2010, 07:38:02 PM
If anyone can access BF this would be interesting rust marks under the handle  :think:

Found plenty of "rust" discoloration under handle scales of "H1 ... - 17:49
18 Jun 2006 ... Several people have tried to get H1 to rust, and failed. .... TSETWNDFFAFFUG, Spyderco Forum Archive, Strider Knives Forum, Tinives Forum ...
www.bladeforums.com › ... › General Knife Discussion - Cached - Similar

gb Offline Magic Bus

• No Life Club
  • Ruler of the E01 society!!
Reply #19 on: August 07, 2010, 07:38:15 PM
Don't worry it's only a tool, just clean it, it's not the end of the world  :D ;)
Gabba gabba hey!!

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: August 07, 2010, 08:23:38 PM
that is kinda odd though, I mean I've had my various swisstools stay wet for quite some time and did'nt get even a spec of rust. Don't get me wrong, I know they aren't magically rust proof, but seeing it stain over night like that kinda surprises me.

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #21 on: August 07, 2010, 08:26:25 PM
Not surprising as it's not H1 steel and even that can rust so I've read, I'm sure it's just surface rust which can be rubbed of with wire wool  :tu: that said you mentioned not rinsing and wiping thoroughly,there ya go  ;)

H1 doesn't rust.  One of my local knife shops set up a demonstration - Rock Salt in a glass jar filled with salt water.  A month in and the blade's perfectly rust free.

Lets test this one I'll stick a SAK blade in a glass of salt water for a month,lets see what happens ;)

[edit] test started plenty of rock salt in a jar,chances are not a lot will happen  ;)

(Image removed from quote.)

John suspend it with a bit of string so it's half in the water and half out - that'll be a prettier effect.

us Offline Singh

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: August 07, 2010, 11:03:07 PM
Rust resistant steel will still rust. As it was said earlier; it has iron it. 

Surface will rust will buff out with steel wool.

Next time it gets wet, soak the tool in some mineral spirits to displace the water.  Let it dry, and then apply some mineral oil in the joints.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 11:04:54 PM by shamus »

Offline Guido

Reply #23 on: August 08, 2010, 03:10:14 AM
I scrubbed it with mild soapy water and one of those soft plastic brillos used on dishes.  Most of the rust came off, but there is still a little bit on the blade.  I don't have brasso or steel wool, go figure--just when you need it, you're out of it.   

After you rinsed it, was it stored out in the open or in a case and was the case damp?

I rinsed it under the faucet and toweled it dry.  I probably left it out for an hour or two but can't quite recall.  

Next time it gets wet, soak the tool in some mineral spirits to displace the water.

Won't that affect the red 'Victorinox' insignia?  This seems like a lot of effort to take every time it gets wet.  

I shouldn't be surprised about the rust, but I am.  I think based on my readings of other people's experiences, I thought the STs were a little more impervious to rust.  As a result, I did not take the type of precautions that I normally would under these circumstances. Next time I will do a better job of rinsing and drying.  

I have a David Boye folding knife, which is supposed to be totally impervious to rust.  The metallurgy perhaps makes this possible:  it's dendritic cobalt.  It's new, so we will see.  
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 03:13:01 AM by Guido »

us Offline yud

• No Life Club
  • Still has a SOGgy feeling
Reply #24 on: August 08, 2010, 03:21:53 AM
I have had SAKs with rust, BUT not on polished areas (mainly in the nail nick and on the nile file).

However I did get them in lots on Ebay and it was clear to me that they were used hard.

Just another weirdo with a beard :B:

Knight of the SOSAK and Defender of the sacred nail file

us Offline Singh

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: August 08, 2010, 03:42:27 PM

Won't that (mineral spirits) affect the red 'Victorinox' insignia?

eh, probably... but that wouldn't be big deal to me. Better that than rust.  ;)

spam Offline John

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: August 08, 2010, 04:39:04 PM

[edit] test started plenty of rock salt in a jar,chances are not a lot will happen  ;)

John suspend it with a bit of string so it's half in the water and half out - that'll be a prettier effect.

Done Dave  ;) I'll check back here in a month,don't hold your breath tho I doubt much will happen  ;)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 04:43:37 PM by John »

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #27 on: August 08, 2010, 11:44:27 PM
No worries John - I'll not hold my breath for a month mate :tu:

ph Offline duckman1975

• No Life Club
  • Naked without my multitool!
Reply #28 on: August 09, 2010, 01:30:46 AM
IMHO every metal multitools or knives no matter how rust proof or resistant give time and moisture will rust, so always clean and lubricate :)
Multitools are the best thing that happened to mankind since the invention of the wheel!

us Offline 82brutus

Reply #29 on: August 09, 2010, 09:23:08 PM
Thanks for the response Guido.  I was surprised at how quickly you saw it rust, good to keep in mind.  I was out this weekend and was the unfortunate victim of a thunderstorm and deluge.  I ended up soaking wet as if I had jumped in the water.  I wasn't too worried, but having read this post last week, I did go ahead and after I got out of the rain, do some drying and rust protecting which I probably wouldn't have been so careful about in the past.   So thanks!
“We shall neither fail nor falter; we shall not weaken or tire...give us the tools and we will finish the job.” - Winston Churchill

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%