Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Midnite Manager - What the classic should have been?

Offline Andreas

• No Life Club
Midnite Manager - What the classic should have been?
on: August 09, 2010, 09:27:44 PM

One of the reasons I never liked SAKs before I started making wood scales (and discovered there were alox models out in the wide world) were those pesky little tweezers and toothpicks that I'd lose before the day was over and it would leave me with a knife full of "holes". I never got the point of having something as unhygienic in my pocket at all times and could never see myself using one - if I need a toothily, I'll use the knife or simply make one.

Furthermore, the Classic 58mm knife has also always seemed like a peculiar invention to me. When I think of a SAK I think blade, bottle opener combo tool and can opener combo tool. Having a knife that along with the tweezers and toothpick has a nail file and scissors seems to me more like a model that would be called Paris Hilton than Classic, and since the Classic is what's sold most places here in Norway I've held a grudge against it for taking up the spot of better SAKs.

Put these two grudges together, and you can see why I sat upright in my chair when I came across the Midnite Manager. Gone are the useless (in my opinion) toothpick and tweezers, and replacing them you have a ballpoint pen and a light. granted it's not the most ergonomic pen or the brightest light, but these are infinitely more useful in my eyes than what they're replacing. As if that wasn't enough, the nail file has gotten the screwdriver tip that can be found on some classic models, and added in for good measure is a combo tool with a cap lifter/bottle opener, wire stripper and a magnetic phillips head screwdriver. The size of this phillips makes it a lot more useful for the things I do than the oversized phillips head on larger SAKs, and the magnet makes it so much easier to use it.

I know that a lot of people like scissors and on this model I don't mind them because it has so much else along with the scissors. Also with a blade this small the scissors will be equally comically sized, but that goes for pretty much all multitools and it certainly gets the job done. The four tools that are included also combine to do pretty much all tasks you could ask from a 58mm tool, and if you look at something like the MiniChamp all they really add is some peculiar tools like an orange peeler, a second blade, a dedicated screwdrivers (instead of having it on the file) and so on. In my opinion that adds bulk and a higher price tag without really adding that much functionality.

All in all I think the Midnite Manager is the best designed 58mm SAK out there, at least for my needs. The one I have now I ordered for a friend, but I might have to get my own since the Squirt P4 that I have on my keyring lacks so many of the Midnite Manager's tools - just like most multitools do. I do wish it had a brighter, white LED instead of the red one but a 3mm LED is going to be weak no matter what, and you'd only use such a light to find something nearby anyways (be it in a bag, the keyhole to your car or whatever). I'd be really interested in seeing some of the tools from the MM on a larger SAK, specifically the small magnetic phillips head and the two handle tools.

us Offline markn951

• I'm actually Canadian
Re: Midnite Manager - What the classic should have been?
Reply #1 on: August 10, 2010, 04:52:13 AM
excellent write up Andreas! Will you get me one, too?  :D

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: August 10, 2010, 04:55:02 AM
It really depends what you're using it for, I guess.  When I'm camping I tend to bring along a Classic because it's very, very useful, even on it's own.

us Offline markn951

• I'm actually Canadian
Reply #3 on: August 15, 2010, 03:14:48 AM
By the way, Victorinox now has a version of the midnight manager with a bright white LED.

http://www.swissarmy.com/MultiTools/Pages/Product.aspx?category=executive&product=53751&

Offline Andreas

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: August 15, 2010, 07:10:19 AM
Oh, very nice!

de Offline Turnstone

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: August 16, 2010, 04:52:16 PM
That's a great review, with beautiful pictures!  :tu:

I often need tweezers, so I prefer the Manager over the Midnite Manager. But I love that little tool, too! I use the scissors for my fingernails, and the only thing that is not so useful is the small blade. You can use it to open letters, but for any serious cutting it's too small.

us Offline markn951

• I'm actually Canadian
Reply #6 on: August 16, 2010, 05:29:21 PM
That's a great review, with beautiful pictures!  :tu:

I often need tweezers, so I prefer the Manager over the Midnite Manager. But I love that little tool, too! I use the scissors for my fingernails, and the only thing that is not so useful is the small blade. You can use it to open letters, but for any serious cutting it's too small.

This and packages is what I feel most people who buy this will be doing with a blade 90% of the time anyways. I think it fits it perfectly!

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: August 16, 2010, 06:26:39 PM
Nice write-up and pictures mate. :tu:  I don't have one myself but do have a Rambler (as a near permanent fixture on my keyring. 

I'm not having a go at you here but I would like to ask how you manage to loose the T&T?  I only ask as you're not the first person to say they've had the issue, and I can honestly say that I've never lost either of them in my life (and I have over 40 SAKs).  Just curious.  :)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

de Offline Turnstone

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: August 16, 2010, 06:35:19 PM
I'm not having a go at you here but I would like to ask how you manage to loose the T&T?  I only ask as you're not the first person to say they've had the issue, and I can honestly say that I've never lost either of them in my life (and I have over 40 SAKs).  Just curious.  :)
Same here. Never lost one of them on any of my SAKs... :think:

Offline Andreas

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: August 16, 2010, 06:54:15 PM
So what do you use them for anyways? I find them mostly useless compared to pliers

spam Offline Zack

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: August 16, 2010, 07:29:45 PM
Nice write-up and pictures mate. :tu:  I don't have one myself but do have a Rambler (as a near permanent fixture on my keyring. 

I lose the toothpick almost immediately it seems.  But I am a habitual tooth picker, so I lose them going down the road usually.  I just buy new ones from the catman and keep a stash on hand.

de Offline Turnstone

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: August 16, 2010, 07:47:12 PM
So what do you use them for anyways? I find them mostly useless compared to pliers
Toothpick as toothpick, I don't need them often, but from time to time... And tweezers for pulling out ticks, hairs, splinters etc. I use the tweezers nearly every day! So of course I have tweezers in my Manager, and not the toothpick  :tu:

us Offline SlackOne

• See Saw Seen
Reply #12 on: August 17, 2010, 04:41:21 AM
I find the Vic toothpick to be a better toothpick than a whooooolllle lot of other options, especially the wooden ones in restaurants.  It is very useful to me, as I have a couple of teeth with crowns that have a very tight spacing with the teeth around it...the flat head on the VicPic slides in better than a round or rectangular pick does.  Especially when dealing with meat.  I'll just use it and wash it up with hand soap the next time I have access to a sink (which is usually right away if I'm eating.)

The tweezers are less useful to me usually, but have come in handy when dealing with wood and metal splinters.  I carry a full-size Vic so I can also have the straight pin handy to help pick the splinter out first, then use the tweezers to finish up.  They sometimes work better than pliers I have on hand because the head is so thin that it can slide under the head of a splinter more easily.  I've also used them to pluck ticks off of myself and my dog.  Again, they get cleaned with anti-bac soap and occasionally something like anti-bac hand cleanser.
Half-ass done wholeheartedly!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD