Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

I Voided My Leatherman's Warranty

Charger · 39 · 10197

ca Offline Charger

• Mr. Crunch!
I Voided My Leatherman's Warranty
on: August 12, 2010, 01:24:19 AM
How many of you can say the same?

And guess what?

You're AWL jealous!!!!

My Wave just got a little eviler!  Replaced the flathead driver with one of them stingers from a ST300, thanks to another member you all have guessed by now.  Fairly easy swap on my end, it is just a little thicker than the tool it replaced.  I tried to then swap the slotted driver with the canopener, but that was way to thick.  oh well, at least i got an AWL.  Lock up is solid, although the notch is just a tad thinner than than the others, so it clicks a little extra while unlocking.  If I felt the urge I could file it a bit, but I don't because it fits the locking mechanism tighter.  

Already came in handy today.  I now have a voided warranty on a charge and a wave :o :o :o

Phase one of the Super Wave, complete.

« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 01:27:23 AM by Charger »

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Re: I Voided My Leatherman's Warranty
Reply #1 on: August 12, 2010, 01:27:15 AM
Looks great mate. :tu:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #2 on: August 12, 2010, 01:30:15 AM
Very nice Charger - well done mate :cheers:
I used to come here a lot.

ca Offline Charger

• Mr. Crunch!
Reply #3 on: August 12, 2010, 01:32:10 AM
Very nice Charger - well done mate :cheers:

couldn't have done it without you sir ;)

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: August 12, 2010, 01:34:42 AM
I might try to make an awl by grinding a driver I think :)

Not sure how it might work out, but it sounds like fun :D

ca Offline Sean

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: August 12, 2010, 01:36:40 AM
I just wished I could find a use for an awl.  :-\  I never use 'em.

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: August 12, 2010, 01:38:34 AM
Me neither Sean - I just want to shred some metal :D

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: August 12, 2010, 02:10:09 AM
That looks awlfully useful :D :tu:
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #8 on: August 12, 2010, 02:15:44 AM
That looks awlfully useful :D :tu:

Ack! Don't get THAT started again!! :ahhh

Hehe, looks great Charger!! :tu:
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

ca Offline Sean

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: August 12, 2010, 04:41:12 AM
Me neither Sean - I just want to shred some metal :D

Well sounds like a good afternoon project anyhow Dave.  :)  Kind of like my cane I made, won't need it
hopefully for another 35 years or so... I hope.

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Reply #10 on: August 12, 2010, 05:52:53 AM
Got to have an awl.  Great for pre-drilling holes, boring new holes in belt, scribing, and many other uses  :salute:
SAW

us Offline David

Reply #11 on: August 12, 2010, 06:55:58 AM
Great mod there Charger    :tu: 
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

us Offline evil510

• Envision. Create. Innovate.
Reply #12 on: August 12, 2010, 08:06:26 AM

My Wave just got a little eviler!  Replaced the flathead driver with one of them stingers from a ST300, thanks to another member you all have guessed by now.  Fairly easy swap on my end, it is just a little thicker than the tool it replaced.  I tried to then swap the slotted driver with the canopener, but that was way to thick.  oh well, at least i got an AWL.  Lock up is solid, although the notch is just a tad thinner than than the others, so it clicks a little extra while unlocking.  If I felt the urge I could file it a bit, but I don't because it fits the locking mechanism tighter.  

Already came in handy today.  I now have a voided warranty on a charge and a wave :o :o :o

Every Leatherman I have is modded, so no more warranty for me lol. Glad you got it installed and put to use. I took the can openers out of both my Wave and Surge but have two versions under way, one goes into the bit driver, the other into the clip/lanyard slot to see which is more practical for me. While I use a can opener 1% of the time, I still want to have one as an add-on I can slip into my sheath. As for the tight fit... I like all of my tools to lock up tight with no play. I fabricate my notches to a .001" tolerance whereas I am guessing Leatherman goes with something more along the lines of .005" (if not more) of a tolerance. I have found differences in measurements, even amongst the same type of tool with a different date code. For the most part, the implements are pretty consistent, but I have found differences in plier head thickness and frame widths and they sometimes need slight adjustments when modding them. Glad you like the awl, put it to some evil use  ;)
CURRENT PROJECTS:
Evil's Urban Trekker (on hold)
Shear Evil (on hold)
The Evil Incarnate (a work in progress)

UPDATES:
Evil's Quad Strop Mini introduced.....
Evil's Pocket Octo-Driver introduced.....
Brute Driver HD - COMPLETE

LATEST NEWS:

ca Offline Charger

• Mr. Crunch!
Reply #13 on: August 12, 2010, 06:27:42 PM
Every Leatherman I have is modded, so no more warranty for me lol. Glad you got it installed and put to use. I took the can openers out of both my Wave and Surge but have two versions under way, one goes into the bit driver, the other into the clip/lanyard slot to see which is more practical for me. While I use a can opener 1% of the time, I still want to have one as an add-on I can slip into my sheath. As for the tight fit... I like all of my tools to lock up tight with no play. I fabricate my notches to a .001" tolerance whereas I am guessing Leatherman goes with something more along the lines of .005" (if not more) of a tolerance. I have found differences in measurements, even amongst the same type of tool with a different date code. For the most part, the implements are pretty consistent, but I have found differences in plier head thickness and frame widths and they sometimes need slight adjustments when modding them. Glad you like the awl, put it to some evil use  ;)

:tu:Very interesting, and It really does lock up more securely.  What do you put instead of a canopener?

And dont worry, the awl has already been at its evil ways.  If you never use an awl, you'll never need it. Once you start to use it for some things, you use it for everything.  IMO

Offline umberto00

Reply #14 on: August 12, 2010, 07:00:59 PM
I've ground down the large flathead driver on both my Wave and Charge into awls. Works great! I can't live without an awl on my multi-tool!

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #15 on: August 12, 2010, 07:10:41 PM
Lovely job, and definitely a useful tool addition in my opinion  :tu:
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

Offline Dizos

Reply #16 on: August 12, 2010, 07:53:14 PM
Extremely awlsome!

Did you have to sacrifice the ST300 for parts or are you able to get the awl as a stand alone item?

de Offline Jmora

Reply #17 on: August 12, 2010, 09:02:57 PM

:tu:Very interesting, and It really does lock up more securely.  What do you put instead of a canopener?

And dont worry, the awl has already been at its evil ways.  If you never use an awl, you'll never need it. Once you start to use it for some things, you use it for everything.  IMO

interesting  :think:, I'm one of those who has yet to find much use for an awl, though I hear everyone else here raving about them. From now I'm going to EDC the SAK farmer or soldier, and concentrate on really using it  :salute:. Maybe one of those superfluous drivers on my sideclip could also be ground down.

us Offline Outback in Idaho

• Not all those who wander are lost.
Reply #18 on: August 14, 2010, 05:55:09 AM
Was it a straight pull from the Super Tool 300 and slid it into the Wave? Strange, didn't look like it would fit.

If I had a grinder I'd of fixed that flat blade a long time ago and made it into an awl. Myself, wanted one with the hole, but that stainless steel is tough. (Could always snap the blade if needing warranty work and modify it again.)

:pok: Wished was a part house or some place to buy tools to replace them in ours, since Leatherman is not listening. Maybe if certain individuals would find a way to produce more of them replacement tools we could purchase kits or parts from them.  :pok:

Been tempted to buy a Surge just for the awl, well and for the semi-t-shank ability too. Cheapest I can find is $74. Keep hoping the MUT will drive Surge prices down more.

Why a Wave has a flathead tool when there's a large bit driver... perfect place for an awl.
¬ Outback in Idaho

Behind every mask there is a face, behind that a story.

us Offline sawman

Reply #19 on: August 14, 2010, 06:01:00 AM
The perfect place on the Wave for an awl is that tiny bit-holder  :)
SAW

us Offline evil510

• Envision. Create. Innovate.
Reply #20 on: August 15, 2010, 09:18:48 AM
While this is not my post, I am guessing that some of these posts are geared towards me so I figured I would chime in. You can view the original post of this awl here.....Direct Bolt-In Awl for Wave/Charge

Small bit driver and can opener have been removed. As of the moment, the large bit driver is used primarily for various bits. I also installed long reach dedicated drivers... and of course the monster sized awl.....

Did you have to sacrifice the ST300 for parts or are you able to get the awl as a stand alone item?
I bought the ST300 for sacrificial parts to begin with. Mainly the plier head that I wanted to mod into my Surge. I tried numerous times to sell the ST300 with Surge head but no takers. It was still a great tool but I didn't get along with it, so I took it apart for other projects.....

Was it a straight pull from the Super Tool 300 and slid it into the Wave? Strange, didn't look like it would fit.
You're right, it won't fit outright. Keeping the full length, I reshaped and retapered the awl to make clearance for the plier head in a Wave. The whole pivot end also had to be reshaped and a new lock notch installed.....

The perfect place on the Wave for an awl is that tiny bit-holder  :)
I agree. The small bit driver was the very first thing that I removed. Making the precision screwdriver bits that fit the large bit driver made the small bit driver obsolete on both my Wave and my Surge. The reason I suggested this awl replace the large flat driver was mostly for the fact that most modify that driver into an awl. Also, considering the length and shape of the awl, it is the perfect spot for it to go. The backside of this awl needs to be up against the inner wall in order to clear.....
CURRENT PROJECTS:
Evil's Urban Trekker (on hold)
Shear Evil (on hold)
The Evil Incarnate (a work in progress)

UPDATES:
Evil's Quad Strop Mini introduced.....
Evil's Pocket Octo-Driver introduced.....
Brute Driver HD - COMPLETE

LATEST NEWS:

Reply #21 on: August 15, 2010, 09:28:50 AM
Wished had the tools and the gift to swap an ST300's jaws into a newly purchased Surge - 'cept the Surge I just ordered is black oxide. That shiny silver of the ST300 would stick out!

Mr. Evil510, think the big fella upstairs if giving you a calling. Perhaps modding & patenting them could be just what ya need to be retiring ina  few years in the Caribbean Isles.  :drink:
¬ Outback in Idaho

Reply #22 on: December 31, 2010, 12:35:20 AM
This topic needs and stickied.  :D

Wished I would of done a better job altering the awl from the ST300. Over did it a bit when I should of just stopped. If I get my hands on another awl...  >:D

Is there a jig or recommendation on aligning the washers and driver in the tool, so the screw can be inserted easily? Managed to mangle the washer between the scissors and the small bit driver - had to remove it. Don't have a spare washer that thin either.

Where is E510 anyhow?
¬ Outback in Idaho

us Offline sawman

Reply #23 on: January 06, 2011, 01:55:30 PM
Maybe Evil510 got offered a high paying job at LM and due to nondisclosures he's not allowed to use the forums anymore :think:
SAW

Reply #24 on: June 01, 2011, 04:38:29 PM
Bumping this post with another awlsome photo ...

¬ Outback in Idaho

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #25 on: June 01, 2011, 04:42:54 PM
Can the awl replace the mini driver or is it too narrow?

nl Offline Sgt Bash

Reply #26 on: June 01, 2011, 11:12:22 PM
chuuh! shoulda sent my wave to you instead.... :doh:

Sarge

I came with nothing. I leave with nothing. Everything else is just borrowed.

Reply #27 on: June 02, 2011, 06:57:02 AM
Can the awl replace the mini driver or is it too narrow?

Looks to be about the same thickness, yet have to allow for the jaw clearance when folding the tool too.
overnadundertti.jpg
* overnadundertti.jpg (Filesize: 54.49 KB)
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 06:58:52 AM by Xelkos »
¬ Outback in Idaho

Reply #28 on: June 02, 2011, 07:03:26 AM
That tool side when folded up...
P6010030 (1).JPG
* P6010030 (1).JPG (Filesize: 85.11 KB)
¬ Outback in Idaho

Reply #29 on: June 14, 2016, 11:41:38 PM
And guess what?
(Image removed from quote.)
You're AWL jealous!!!!

My Wave just got a little eviler!  Replaced the flathead driver with one of them stingers from a ST300, thanks to another member you all have guessed by now.  Fairly easy swap on my end, it is just a little thicker than the tool it replaced.  I tried to then swap the slotted driver with the canopener, but that was way to thick.  oh well, at least i got an AWL.  Lock up is solid, although the notch is just a tad thinner than than the others, so it clicks a little extra while unlocking.  If I felt the urge I could file it a bit, but I don't because it fits the locking mechanism tighter. 

Already came in handy today.  I now have a voided warranty on a charge and a wave :o :o :o

Aww... the photos went missing. This I think fueled a rebellion...  :D
DSC00513.JPG
* DSC00513.JPG (Filesize: 185.11 KB)
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 11:50:16 PM by Xelkos »
¬ Outback in Idaho

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $384.86
PayPal Fees: $20.11
Net Balance: $364.75
Above Goal: $64.75
Site Currency: USD
122%