Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

GAK passaround

Zag · 162 · 19134

de Offline Turnstone

• No Life Club
Re: GAK passaround
Reply #60 on: November 29, 2010, 04:40:11 PM
Some cool pictures  ;)

de Offline Turnstone

• No Life Club
Reply #61 on: November 29, 2010, 05:22:02 PM
And some more pictures...

The GAK together with the little paracord army it came with, thanks again, Dan!  :D

And the simple finger protector I made from a piece of plastic tube that fits onto the saw:

Now it's safe to use the bottle opener  :tu:

Of course you have to take the tube off the saw when you fold the saw back into the handles, so this is no perfect solution but better than no protector and bleeding fingers  :ahhh

de Offline Turnstone

• No Life Club
Reply #62 on: December 07, 2010, 12:43:38 PM
The GAK left Germany today and is now on a loooong journey around the world to Australia!

ni-ulster Offline cerbera147

• No Life Club
Reply #63 on: December 07, 2010, 12:56:47 PM
I believe they call it migrating :D

au Offline MultiMat

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • The MTO handshake.
Reply #64 on: December 07, 2010, 12:59:15 PM
 :gimme: :gimme: :D :D.

Looking forward to using that mad bottle opener  :D :D :D.
Not sure if I can match TS's stunning pics though  :think: :D :D

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

de Offline Turnstone

• No Life Club
Reply #65 on: December 07, 2010, 01:00:52 PM

I have included that piece of tube I used to protect my fingers. Should work for you, too ;)

au Offline MultiMat

• The MTO handshake.
Reply #66 on: December 07, 2010, 01:12:47 PM

I have included that piece of tube I used to protect my fingers. Should work for you, too ;)

:tu: :tu: I am keen to see how it performs  :D :D

00 Offline knyha

• Moravian
Reply #67 on: December 08, 2010, 10:11:45 AM

I think you will fall in love with this "mad bottle opener".
For me it was love at first sight eh... can-opening.
For my hands it is the best can-opener ever. It opens slowly but everything.

Mayby you all could enclose to this knife - short "certificate" - that this story will go with the knife.

I like this idea of passaround SAK!!!  :tu:
F

au Offline MultiMat

• The MTO handshake.
Reply #68 on: December 22, 2010, 04:07:46 PM
GAK has just landed 'Down Under'  8) 8) 8).

Thanks too Turnstone for shipping the GAK all the way too Oz & for also chucking in some cool extras  :salute: :salute: 8) 8) 8) 8).

Looking forward to having a go with the GAK  :D :D

Mat.

• No Life Club
Reply #69 on: December 22, 2010, 04:36:58 PM
That was quick  :tu:

de Offline Turnstone

• No Life Club
Reply #70 on: December 22, 2010, 09:54:08 PM
It didn't need much longer than the SAK that I sent to Jan in the Netherlands  :ahhh

Great that it arrived before christmas! Have fun with it!  :tu:

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #71 on: December 23, 2010, 01:51:41 AM

Thanks too Turnstone for shipping the GAK all the way too Oz & for also chucking in some cool extras  :salute: :salute: 8) 8) 8) 8).

Mat.

Be sure to read all the fine print before using Mat! ;)

In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

spam Offline scrappy

• Turd Bucket
  • No Life Club
Reply #72 on: December 23, 2010, 03:01:53 AM
Gross!

au Offline MultiMat

• The MTO handshake.
Reply #73 on: December 23, 2010, 07:19:30 AM

Mat.

Be sure to read all the fine print before using Mat! ;)

(Image removed from quote.)

:doh: :doh: :doh:

Bob you know how this is going to end  :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :D :twak: :twak:

You are EVIL Bob  :D :D :D

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #74 on: December 23, 2010, 04:53:44 PM
Wow!  I was not following this thread, but I see I should have been. Some really great pictures and ingenuity in here.  ... the humor...  :)

Maybe this thread was moved from another forum.

au Offline MultiMat

• The MTO handshake.
Reply #75 on: January 03, 2011, 01:37:16 AM
OK I have had the GAK for a bit now  ::) :D :D.
The saw is one serious tool quite a bit wider than any of the other saws found on any of my SAK's or MT's  :o :o :o.
I wonder is it ment to be a bone saw as well  :think: :think: :think:.
Just got too take a couple of pics , sharpen the blade & then PM Ashley.

de Offline Turnstone

• No Life Club
Reply #76 on: January 04, 2011, 08:56:02 AM
Just got too take a couple of pics , sharpen the blade & then PM Ashley.
I am curious if you can get it sharp. I tried, but couldn't get it any sharper than how I sent it to you. Wasn't satisfied with that at all, but didn't want to ruin the blade with any experiments  :ahhh ALL my other knifes are much sharper and I don't have problems with sharpening them, I don't know what's different with that one  :think:

au Offline MultiMat

• The MTO handshake.
Reply #77 on: January 05, 2011, 08:19:23 AM

The GAK with Turnstones patented saw cover protection devise/rubber tubing  :D.
PLUS the extras ; the REALLY cool lanyard that has found a home on my Dual Pro X  8) 8), a packet of fishing lights & a small SWG key chain tool, the SWG has a small square driver on it which I am not sure what it fits  :think: :think:. TS any ideas  :think: :think:
Thanks Turnstone for shipping all the way to Oz & for the cool extras  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

A bit of a Swiss military exercise  :D :D. GAK with my sons Vic 01+98 & Wenger 01 Soldiers.
Anyone got a spare 98 Wenger soldier  :think: :D :D

I thought I would tackle the saw cover problem my self , the first one was more of a whittling exercise , using the GAK of course , than an actual solution  :D. I call it the peanut shell saw cover(the shape reminds me of a peanut shell)  :P :D , I was supervising a bunch of kids in our pool new years eve day & just started whittling away on a hard wood branch I picked up in the back yard, whilst keeping an eye on the kids.

Ergonomic or what!!!  :P :D :D :D

Field testing  :P :D :D

I had a wee brain wave, that is my 2011 brain wave done & dusted  :P :D :D. Added to the inspiration , I found a use for Coke Zero  :o :o :D , well the can at least  :P :D :D.

The nice thing about the multimat aluminum saw cover protection devise/Coke can is that it is a nice snug fit allowing the saw to be closed with the cover on & stays on the saw when opening it + when you loose it  :P easy enough to replace  :D :D 

You can just see the MMASCD/Coke can with the saw closed.

More field testing  :P :D :D.

The GAK is a nice SAK , the blade is a good size , the saw is the thickest saw I have & the cap lifter works a treat, with some cobbling  ;) :D :D.The awl works fine , I do prefer my awls to be end mounted like those found on the larger alox SAK's. The GAK's awl is mid mounted. The awl did a good job as a pilot hole devise & put the hole in the Coke can  :tu: :tu:.

The saw for me was an interesting thing , at 1.7mm/0.06in thick it is a bit of a chunky bugger. In comparison too ; SwissGrip(monster of a MT) saw is 1.5mm/0.06in , a LM Supertool 300 is 1.1mm/0.04in, Swisstool 1.2mm/0.05in & Swiss Champ 1.1mm/0.04in. Measurements were taken from the middle of the saw blade with a cheap digital caliper(may or may not be accurate ::) :D :D).
So in use I found the GAK's saw tended too catch on the branch I was sawing , more so than the thinner Swiss Champ I had with me. I wonder if Vic made the saw wider to strengthen the tool on account of the extra stress the cap lifter would exert on it  :think: :think: or if was too just make the saw stronger  :think: :think: :think:.

I tried the saw on a bit of scrap soft wood & it worked fine  8).

So GAK saw for carpentry ; good
For bush work ; I am not sure , the saw tends to catch or get stuck on aussie hard wood branches  :think: :think:
As a SAK the GAK is a fine if slightly quirky tool  :tu: :tu: :tu:

Thanks too Zag for putting up the GAK for the pass-around & thanks again too Turnstone for paying the coin to get the GAK all the way too me in Oz & the cool extras :cheers: :cheers:.
Hopefully will have the GAK all cleaned up & packed up to send to J-sews/Bob tomorrow. Ashely has passed on the GAK so that just leaves Pacu after Bob , I think :think:.

BTW used my Smith's knife sharpener on the GAK got a OK edge but I was not happy with it so I threw the GAK at my Sharpmaker then a strop on my leather strop & now it is shaving sharp  8). I seem to have quite a few bald patches on my belly now  ::) :D :D :D

Mat.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 08:25:04 AM by MultiMat »

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #78 on: January 05, 2011, 11:56:45 AM
eew!  :ahhh

:to:
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #79 on: January 05, 2011, 08:44:10 PM
ALL my other knifes are much sharper and I don't have problems with sharpening them, I don't know what's different with that one  :think:
It's Swiss Elf Magic..!!  :ahhh :ahhh

btw.. Great Pics MM   :tu:

Offline Jack Russell

Reply #80 on: January 05, 2011, 09:29:30 PM
I dont think you need to hold the saw when using the cap lifter just hold the knife by the handle. The Danger is when you use the screw driver on the end if you are not careful the blade can double over and trap your fingers. Good thread. Great Knife. Vic.still keep stock of replacement saw guards. Ask for (product name) Mauser blade sheath. (Product Code) NSTKA8748.
Mike

au Offline MultiMat

• The MTO handshake.
Reply #81 on: January 06, 2011, 04:03:40 PM
GAK is leaving sunny Oz & is currently in-transit too the not so warm US east coast.

Hope it finds you soon Bob/J-sews. :tu:

• No Life Club
Reply #82 on: January 06, 2011, 09:56:27 PM
Good to hear I wasn't the only one having difficulties sharpening this :D

This is shaping up to be a successful passaround  :tu:

Thanks Zag  :cheers:

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #83 on: January 07, 2011, 04:22:59 AM
Great report and photos Mat!! :salute: I'm looking forward to seeing this GAK first hand, as I've never played with one before. :) :)

PS ~ hope you've included that fantastically engineered MMASCD device with it buddy! :tu:

PSS ~ (and hope you've cleaned and disinfected the blade after those belly-hair expirements too!) :P :D
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

de Offline Turnstone

• No Life Club
Reply #84 on: January 07, 2011, 09:31:50 AM
(Image removed from quote.)
The GAK with Turnstones patented saw cover protection devise/rubber tubing  :D.
PLUS the extras ; the REALLY cool lanyard that has found a home on my Dual Pro X  8) 8), a packet of fishing lights & a small SWG key chain tool, the SWG has a small square driver on it which I am not sure what it fits  :think: :think:. TS any ideas  :think: :think:
Sorry, I wasn't online much during the last days and just saw your thread. The small square driver on the keychain tool fits on standard German radiator heaters. They have a valve to let air out, and you need a special key for it. SWG is a supplier for electricity, gas, water etc. so a driver for a heater on their giveaways makes sense  :D Maybe you find some use for it, if not, you still have the bottle opener!  :tu:

Great new ideas for the saw protector!  :tu:

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #85 on: January 07, 2011, 11:35:30 AM
That has got to be the funkiest radiator key ever :D
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

au Offline MultiMat

• The MTO handshake.
Reply #86 on: January 07, 2011, 01:06:57 PM

PS ~ hope you've included that fantastically engineered MMASCD device with it buddy! :tu:

PSS ~ (and hope you've cleaned and disinfected the blade after those belly-hair expirements too!) :P :D

Cobbled Coke can is in-situ Bob  ;) :D + having access to endless alcohol wipes has its benefits  ;) :D :D.
Personally I do not know what all the fuss is about my belly may be ample but it is a clean belly  :D :angel: It could of been been so much worse I could of taken pictures of the belly hair shaving results the GAK achieved   :ahhh >:D

Sorry, I wasn't online much during the last days and just saw your thread. The small square driver on the keychain tool fits on standard German radiator heaters. They have a valve to let air out, and you need a special key for it. SWG is a supplier for electricity, gas, water etc. so a driver for a heater on their giveaways makes sense  :D Maybe you find some use for it, if not, you still have the bottle opener!  :tu:

Great new ideas for the saw protector!  :tu:

Ahh a multi function radiator key  8) :D :D. Quirky tool to go with the slightly quirky GAK  :D 8) 8)
Thanks TS  :cheers: :cheers:

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #87 on: January 08, 2011, 11:27:17 PM

Cobbled Coke can is in-situ Bob  ;) :D + having access to endless alcohol wipes has its benefits  ;) :D :D.
Personally I do not know what all the fuss is about my belly may be ample but it is a clean belly  :D :angel: It could of been been so much worse I could of taken pictures of the belly hair shaving results the GAK achieved   :ahhh >:D (Image removed from quote.)

Too bad you didn't take a picture, it would have made a fantastic SAKtivity photo! :D

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #88 on: January 31, 2011, 12:07:16 AM
The GAK has been here in the frigid north country for several days now. :) I'd like to say I've been letting it aclimate to the 100 degree F temperature change between molten Australia and here :o but truth be told I just haven't gotten around to testing it yet. :P :D

Took it outside for a bit of a walk today though. :)

I must say, European army knives are different in at least one major respect from the ones around here; no way in heck would the top brass allow a corkscrew to be fitted on a USAAK. ;)  Do european soldiers in the field often find themselves in desperate need of a corkscrew?? ???

au Offline MultiMat

• The MTO handshake.
Reply #89 on: January 31, 2011, 01:39:18 AM
Nice shot Bob  8) 8) 8) 8).

That is a bit of a temperature difference for the poor old GAK  :P :D :D
Having our second day of 41DC/105DF  :ahhh :ahhh

Donations

Operational Funds