Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

From Skeletool to Wave

Offline Andreas

• No Life Club
From Skeletool to Wave
on: August 15, 2010, 10:41:38 AM

Right now I'm sitting at a bench at work, doing some very boring wait-and-see work that doesn't require much attention. I thought it would be a good time to share some impressions about the Wave I got a week ago, after having used a Skeletool and Skeletool CX for the last 3 years.

This review is written and posted from an iPhone 3GS, including shooting, editing and uploading the pictures. Modern technology ftw...

Anyways... The reason I've been using the skeletools for so ling is basically two things: they're small and they have the tools I normally need. The carabiner and the low weight let's me clip them to my belt loop and not have to worry about a sheath. Now however I have my last day at work and since my future need for a multitool like that will be in my geocaching bag and for general home use I thought I'd get something bigger, and when I found a Wave for $35 on the forum I couldn't resist!

Obviously the size and weight difference is noticeable when moving up to a Wave. I don't know how the Charge is in comparison, but the stainless Wave is definitely on the heaved side - but I don't mind that at all. It feels good in the hand and the weight makes it feel more solid. I've already broken the pliers on a skeletool so ita nice to have something bigger. I don't use the pocket clip though as that seems like a disaster waiting to happen with such a large tool.

Feature wise I really like the added serrated blade and saw, and I've even used the file as makeshift sand paper a couple of times, although there are better uses for that spot IMO. Outward opening one hand blades is a must for me, which is why I don't like tools like the ST. the larger blades compared to the skeletool is also nice, and the saw does work better than my diy skeletool add on.

Inside the handles are the bit drivers, which of course I like a lot. I do miss the quick access of the skeletool bit driver, but I can live with it. The scissors are nice but should be bigger to be more useful, as is I'd rather use the scissors on my Climber. The can opener is completely useless to me and the flat head screwdriver should jut be shaped like a prybar beauae that's what people need it for when they have the bit driver. In oter words, with the exception of the bit drivers the inside tools didn't impress me at all.

In my humble opinion, the perfect Wave would trade the file for evil510's awesome scissors and simply leave out the file. The small bit driver and a decent replaceable prybar would fit into one handle while a FULL SIZE bit driver would go in the other. The MUT type pliers would also be nice, with replaceable wire cutters.

Overall though the Wave is a very nice tool, but my OCD doesn't care for some of the perfectly good space wasted on inferier tools. Everyone have different needs thought, so I guess it's the most commonly used tools that are in here.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Re: From Skeletool to Wave
Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010, 10:45:28 AM
Fine comparison mate :tu:
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Offline sappyg

Reply #2 on: August 16, 2010, 01:20:53 AM
excellent review and observasions cptno. i  tried the wave and actually wound up trading it for a skeletool.
i

ph Offline duckman1975

• No Life Club
  • Naked without my multitool!
Reply #3 on: August 16, 2010, 03:41:02 AM
If you love the wave you are going to love the charge, was for wieght difference there is almost not difference but the built quality and the scales are to be just excellent.
Multitools are the best thing that happened to mankind since the invention of the wheel!

us Offline specgrade

Reply #4 on: August 16, 2010, 04:48:07 AM
 I'm really liking that plain edge blade on the Wave!  :tu:

us Offline SlackOne

• See Saw Seen
Reply #5 on: August 17, 2010, 04:48:37 AM
The most amazing thing about the Wave is which tools people find useless :P

Personally, I think the opener and small bit driver are complete wastes of space, but other people wouldn't have the tool without them.  And say what you will about the flat driver, but I think it's nearly perfect for what it does.  When you don't want to carry around the whole freaking bit extender system, the flat driver is a boon.  There are a whole lot of flathead screws that are bigger than the default two-sided bit that the Wave carries on-board can handle.  I've used that flat driver on cabinetry, license plates, chain-link fencing, and a whole lot of other screws that would have ruined the flat side of the two-sided bit.  That, and it's a pretty good tool to pry open cans of stuff like paint, spackle, or dry wall mud.

Also, don't forget that the "third edge" on the Wave's file acts as a metal saw.  It isn't heavy duty, but it's saved me a few times for chores like trimming protruding screws.  The diamond file is a pretty handy sharpener, and does a number on gardening tools.  The coarse side...erm...well...I don't know that I've really used the coarse side at all. 
Half-ass done wholeheartedly!

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: August 21, 2010, 07:39:09 PM
Actually the Wave , and Charge ride well with the pocket clip . Leatherman clips are quite strong , and be covered with heat shrink tube for greater grip , if desired .

Chris

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: August 21, 2010, 08:42:59 PM
The Leatherman can opener is great for opening packages if you give it a bit of a sharpening.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $139.46
PayPal Fees: $8.05
Net Balance: $131.41
Below Goal: $168.59
Site Currency: USD
44%