Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Skeletool is making quite a lot of noise.

us Offline NeitherExtreme

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Skeletool is making quite a lot of noise.
on: September 07, 2007, 10:32:02 PM
Just noticed that the Skeletool is one of the top two threads on the MT section of BladeForums, EDCForums, and CPForums. It's also making more of a show in the media than I remember any other tool. Living up to all this hype and interest will certainly be hard to do! Do you think it will, or even can?

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Re: Skeletool is making quite a lot of noise.
Reply #1 on: September 07, 2007, 11:14:20 PM
Be interesting to see if it can, for my part I can't see what all the fuss is about ??? please don't burn the heritic

I mean I can see it's a new and possible exciting developement on the multitool theme, but sometime less isn't actually more :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #2 on: September 07, 2007, 11:50:06 PM
It would be cool if multitool.org got a few from Leatherman to pass around... ;D
[

Reply #3 on: September 07, 2007, 11:55:26 PM
It would be cool if multitool.org got a few from Leatherman to pass around... ;D
Only if the mod's got a look in first ;D

Offline trickknife

• Deputy Dog
Reply #4 on: September 08, 2007, 12:45:10 AM
That's pretty sweet. O0  I'm sure all of the unbelievers will be converted to LM in no time.
-

Reply #5 on: September 08, 2007, 12:47:20 AM
That's pretty sweet. O0  I'm sure all of the unbelievers will be converted to LM in no time.
Nah, cut me in half and it say's swiss through the middle ;D

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #6 on: September 08, 2007, 12:55:55 AM
As long as it says "Leatherman" near the wallet :P

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #7 on: September 08, 2007, 12:57:33 AM
I like it, and I'll have to get one, at least for myself.  I like the carabiner, but I'm not certain I care for the minimalist nature of it.  To me, minimalism is more about packing as many features into as small a package as possible, not as few tools as possible into a regular sized (or bigger when you factor in the carabiner) unit.  I am also not a huge fan of "pretty" tools.  Pretty is as pretty does, and regardless of how good it looks, if it doesn't do the job, it's overpriced junk.  Of course, being pretty doesn't preclude it from doing the job, it just means that the designers are either on loan from Calvin Klein or have too much time on their hands.

The original PST made a MUCH bigger splash than any of these tools can do (how many other tools can say that they are responsible for inspiring hundreds of other designs?) and it wasn't pretty.  It was what it was supposed to be- functional, inexpensive and compact.

But, I suppose this is the $8 Starbucks coffee incarnation of the multitool world, and like a sucker, I'll be all over it too.  And, as much as I'd like to blame you guys- I need to get one for the good of the site and we need a review!- the truth is I want one because I want one, end of story.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: September 08, 2007, 12:58:05 AM

Look at the prices of the Charge and the SwissTool... I'd rather it said Victorinox near the wallet! :P

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #9 on: September 08, 2007, 01:14:48 AM
I like the carabiner, but I'm not certain I care for the minimalist nature of it.  To me, minimalism is more about packing as many features into as small a package as possible, not as few tools as possible into a regular sized (or bigger when you factor in the carabiner) unit. 
I see your point here, but I think I might see it a little different. Yes, the Skeletool design is fewer tools in a similar sized package, but I think that they improved on each of the few important implements they included (comparing to similar sized tools). The plier suposedly retain 80%(?) of full-tool strength, the knife is obviously an improvement, and the dedicated, non-folding screwdriver should be great too, especially with the added ability to carry two bits. The bits won't have great reach, but I think that the benefit of tool-steel and versitilty still make it "better" in many ways compared to any similar sized tool's screwdrivers. So I see it as not just slimming down the tool selection, but also beefing up the important ones. Of course, we'll only know this after we see the tool in action...

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: September 08, 2007, 01:20:20 AM
The bit holder is not a selling feature to me.  It is on most multis where you see it because it can be customized with the bits you need, but the flattened LM bits are really not something I like overall.  Add to that the fact that it doesn't fold and to me that increases the likelihood of losing the bit that you have, which will likely be the bit you use most (otherwise, why is it in the driver?) and there's no where else but Leatherman that you can get a replacement.

To me, the bit driver is the big failing on this and many other Leatherman tools.

Def

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #11 on: September 08, 2007, 01:40:51 AM
Hmmm... actually I don't have much of an argument for that one. It really bothered me too. I only got over it after I bought extras so I knew that I had replacements readily available, and then I was able to appreciate it's benefits.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: September 08, 2007, 01:53:10 AM
With four Charge models, I have lots of extras as well, but they don't make a good enough variety as far as I am concerned.  I think there are only one or two Robertson bits, which are very important to Canadians.  Everything here has a Robertson screw holding it together, and that's likely the ones I would lose because those are the ones that would be riding in the holder.  In addition, there are a few sizes of Robertson that are common and I really don't think that just the Leatherman ones are adequate.  If it was a standard bit adapter, I'd be happy as a pig in poopy because I could use or carry long shanked bits of each type (robertsons and others) and replace them anywhere if they got stripped, broken or lost.  There's a reason why everyone else in the universe is using standard sizes and shapes. 

Not that I am trying to poop on the Skeletool though.  It does look like a good tool, and I am looking forward to getting one.  Just what is the point of running a website or being a member of a discussion forum if you can't b*tch and moan about stuff, and talk about how much better it would be if we were in charge!

Def

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #13 on: September 08, 2007, 02:21:36 AM
I didn't know the Great White Land to the north used more Robertson screws! I personally love them. Doing electric work I used #1 and #2 more than anything else I think. Unfortunately... LM put #2 and #3 on one bit, and #1 with something else. Grrrr  >:( So yeah, I still agree that regular bits are nice. I spent a bit of time and thought a while back trying to figure out how to make an 1/4" adapter for my Charge, but I never did. Back to the Robertsons... that must be annoying when carrying a regular tool with no square options!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #14 on: September 08, 2007, 02:24:46 AM
I didn't know the Great White Land to the north used more Robertson screws!

Use them?  Hell, we invented them!  They were created around the same time as the phillips screws, but since Mr Robertson was off in Europe fighting a war they never got promoted as well as the phillips ones did, which is why the phillips is on just about everything.

http://www.robertsonscrew.com/

I'd also like to point out that my Scottish half is of the Robertson clan, which explains why I am a little screwy....

Def

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #15 on: September 08, 2007, 02:29:28 AM
I'd also like to point out that my Scottish half is of the Robertson clan, which explains why I am a little screwy....
Hehe, that explains a few things... :D Anyway, I really do like Robertsons, and would love to see them more, except for needing more tools all the time! Or, maybe that would be a good thing :P The only problem with Squares is that once they strip out its all over, time to turn out the lights and go home... Not that I know from experience or anything :D

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #16 on: September 08, 2007, 03:01:38 AM
Not really- it leaves lots of metal for those screw remover tools to bite into.

Def

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #17 on: September 08, 2007, 03:08:03 AM
Never tried that... But I'm especially thinking of a particular kind of screw, these soft Phillips/Straight/Robertson screws used for switches and recepticles and such. The square driver worked better on them than the rest, but if it ever stripped it out, there was nothing to do but turn it out one tiny turn at a time with a pair of pliers :cry:

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #18 on: September 08, 2007, 04:24:10 AM
I dismantled an old filing cabinet at work a few weeks ago, and it was held together with Robertson screws.  Further inspection yeilded a "MADE IN CANADA" stamp :)

I noticed you get a better grip on the Robertsons faster than with a Phillips. 

And here I am, giving away my SOG Robertson impliment..."I'll never need that!" :twak:
[

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #19 on: September 08, 2007, 04:27:20 AM
It's come in handy for me a few times!   ;D

Def

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #20 on: September 08, 2007, 04:56:53 AM
One more interesting thing about robertson screws.

A few years ago I was in an accident and crushed my left foot, which meant that I had to have surgery to put the fragments back in order, and a steel plate put in to hold it together.  8 screws were used to secure the plate to the bits of powdered foot- screws which I was amused to find out were Robertsons when I just happened to be peeking at my x-rays!  Talking to my ortho I learned that they always use Robertsons, although I don't know if there's any reason for it, or whether that's just what the hospital stocks.  Apparently they are about $14 a screw, which is pretty bad considering I can get a box of 1,000 for $9.99 at Canadian Tire!

I will be having more surgery eventually to have another, bigger screw put in (trying not to do that any time soon) and I am kind of curious to see what they are going to use for that!

Def

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #21 on: September 08, 2007, 05:00:43 AM
Apparently they are about $14 a screw, which is pretty bad considering I can get a box of 1,000 for $9.99 at Canadian Tire!

I doubt the Canadian Tire ones are sterilized :o

I wonder if the doc used LocTite...
[

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #22 on: September 08, 2007, 05:02:56 AM
With so many around, it seems like a multitool with the on-board ability to drive Robertson screws would be a priority to Canadians, no?
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Reply #23 on: September 08, 2007, 09:59:14 AM

Look at the prices of the Charge and the SwissTool... I'd rather it said Victorinox near the wallet! :P

Def
Damn right it victorinox is near my wallet! they seem to have almost as much of my money as my ex-wife does ;D

And beside's ny wallet is in my pocket so i would want a leatherman near there in case it got rusty ;) ;D

Reply #24 on: September 08, 2007, 10:08:04 AM
Wow, I'd never even heard of Robertson screw's before ::)

I don't think you'll find many on these shore's (I stand to be corrected), the closest we come is with allen key's!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #25 on: September 08, 2007, 12:18:19 PM
With so many around, it seems like a multitool with the on-board ability to drive Robertson screws would be a priority to Canadians, no?

Yes and no- I would prefer a standard bit driver so I could carry a couple of the more common sizes in whatever length shank I liked.  That's why I have always promoted standard sized 1/4 inch bit drivers on multis- I'd like the opportunity to carry Robertson bits, we had a member the other day asking about posidrive bits, most folks would consider posidrive and Robertsons a waste of space etc.  It's a simple and effective way to allow the user a significant amount of versatility without significant cost.

the closest we come is with allen key's

With only 4 sides, Robertsons are like Allen keys for beginners! ;D

Def

Offline gadgetman7

Reply #26 on: September 09, 2007, 04:50:12 PM
I wish the bit holders were standard size too. I think I've already lost at least four of the original bits.

I thought the size and weight of the skeletool were smaller. Am I wrong? (Happens all the time.)

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #27 on: September 18, 2007, 02:02:05 AM
I wish the bit holders were standard size too. I think I've already lost at least four of the original bits.

I thought the size and weight of the skeletool were smaller. Am I wrong? (Happens all the time.)
I think it will be smaller/lighter than most Multi-Tools out there, but the bits should be the same as always. (I think I understood your question, but if I didn't, I'll just blame it on lack of sleep) If you don't mind me asking, how'd you loose the bits? I've never had any problem with that, but I've heard people complain about the spring coming out or something.

Offline Tom Munch

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: September 18, 2007, 06:30:06 AM
The bit holder now has a lock on it.  That should help with losing bits.

Tom

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #29 on: September 19, 2007, 04:06:03 AM
The bit holder now has a lock on it.  That should help with losing bits.

Tom

I'm thinking the bit lock is a worthy feature.

In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%