Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SwissChamp Supertimer

Zag · 25 · 5286

gb Offline Zag

SwissChamp Supertimer
on: August 15, 2010, 07:56:17 PM
Are these rare?  ???
I have the opportunity of buying one but it's not cheap so i want to make sure before pulling the trigger.
AloxWorld.com

us Offline Sazabi

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: SwissChamp Supertimer
Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010, 08:00:10 PM
They're uncommon.  I'd not suggest paying more than about $90 USD if ordering from a US site.

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: August 15, 2010, 08:03:52 PM
I've only ever had two pass through my hands.  Sold mine last week, sorry Bernard.  Still got its little brother available :)
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: August 15, 2010, 08:20:52 PM
They were a lot more uncommon a couple years ago, but show up a little more regularly right now (maybe 1 a month or so) on ebay.  Some have been NOS, as some people are still finding them at small dealers.  The last one sold on ebay Aug 7th for $100.00 or so; it was mint with papers, box, and pouch, and had 9 bidders.

gb Offline Zag

Reply #4 on: August 15, 2010, 08:31:12 PM
They were a lot more uncommon a couple years ago, but show up a little more regularly right now (maybe 1 a month or so) on ebay.  Some have been NOS, as some people are still finding them at small dealers.  The last one sold on ebay Aug 7th for $100.00 or so; it was mint with papers, box, and pouch, and had 9 bidders.
Very interesting. Thanks for that.

I think I'll pass on the one i had in mind as it's around $150 in a box with a classic   :-\
AloxWorld.com

us Offline bren10man

Re: SwissChamp Supertimer......"..oh, soooo sorry...."
Reply #5 on: August 15, 2010, 10:01:23 PM
...but I am in the USA for GOOD....

When I lived in Korea until 1 month ago, I would go to the Vic store up in Namdaemun market up in Seoul....the dude was LOADED with NIB Supertimers; 18 I think is what he said.  Cost: @$85.  That is where I got mine.
MOLON LABE!

Offline richs2891

Reply #6 on: August 15, 2010, 10:44:20 PM
I have one of those with black handles, my sister bought it for me 12 years or so ago !
Once used it once or twice, still have the box as well. Never knew it was called the supertimer
Richard

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: August 17, 2010, 03:07:13 AM
I have one of those with black handles, my sister bought it for me 12 years or so ago !
Once used it once or twice, still have the box as well. Never knew it was called the supertimer
Richard
I'd like to find a black one.  :tu:

gb Offline Little Tinker

Reply #8 on: August 10, 2017, 07:10:56 PM
I just wandered by a tabac in France with a few SuperTimers and TimeKeepers on display.  I think the ones in the window have a bit of UV damage to the Perspex, which is a shame, but I might get one of the ones from inside shop for myself.  I saw they had the scissor / hook combo and round mini screwdriver but didn't tune into the face numerals to further lock down age / rarity.

I don't go hunting for old models, so am unsure how unusual these are now, but if anyone in UK would like new example I'll see if there are enough for me to snag and send on you.  IIRC prices were a shade under EUR70 and EUR40 respectively.

gb Offline Fast Bill

• No Life Club
  • Carpe titanium
Reply #9 on: August 10, 2017, 11:13:19 PM
I just wandered by a tabac in France with a few SuperTimers and TimeKeepers on display.  I think the ones in the window have a bit of UV damage to the Perspex, which is a shame, but I might get one of the ones from inside shop for myself.  I saw they had the scissor / hook combo and round mini screwdriver but didn't tune into the face numerals to further lock down age / rarity.

I don't go hunting for old models, so am unsure how unusual these are now, but if anyone in UK would like new example I'll see if there are enough for me to snag and send on you.  IIRC prices were a shade under EUR70 and EUR40 respectively.
Sounds interesting. I'll PM you LT
Per Titanium Ad Tearoom.
Apex predator of fruit cake

gb Offline Little Tinker

Reply #10 on: August 15, 2017, 11:44:12 AM
I saw they had the scissor / hook combo and round mini screwdriver but didn't tune into the face numerals to further lock down age / rarity.

I was pleased to find they have Roman numerals, and screwdrivers with the PAT mark which also adds a little variance to what I have (not sure if my old Climber still has one of those after a few replacements!).

TimeKeepers are in the little snap top presentation box, which is also nice.  One SuperTimer in original box with proper leaflet, another in SwissChamp box probably due to shopkeeper mixing them up in the past :(.

wales Offline Smashie

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Smurf it!
Reply #11 on: August 15, 2017, 12:26:31 PM
Rare enough that I can't find one for sale, get it, get it now!
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: August 15, 2017, 12:30:28 PM
Rare enough that I can't find one for sale, get it, get it now!
:imws:

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #13 on: August 15, 2017, 01:58:17 PM

I'd say those are very good prices LT - Especially as new - I reckon they'd sell for a lot  more than that on ebay

gb Offline Little Tinker

Reply #14 on: August 15, 2017, 03:42:43 PM
TimeKeepers are in the little snap top presentation box, which is also nice. 

Just noticed that the TimeKeeper (now purchased  :salute:) has fluted corkscrew, key ring on liner, and screw pivot on scissors.

Don't some of those predate the TimeKeeper release?  Were they all built on old Compact stock or something?

gb Offline Little Tinker

Reply #15 on: August 15, 2017, 04:52:59 PM

Don't some of those predate the TimeKeeper release?  Were they all built on old Compact stock or something?

Looking at the tool history resources, apparently not.  Just seems to mean they're from c.1991.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 05:52:07 PM by Little Tinker »

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #16 on: August 15, 2017, 10:48:01 PM
Fascinating LT.

The info we have indicates that those tool changes happened in 91 (scissor pivot in 92)
And the Wiki says the TK was introduced in early 92.

So yes this shop must have some of the very first Timkeepers made - that are 25+ years old - Made in 91 or 92
- It's funny how precisely you can date SAKs sometimes.
Buy them all!!
I wonder if our dates are correct ??? ie TK was available earlier or tool changes later
- Or it was just slightly older stock used on the TKs in that shop.

EDIT: Just read above - Did you say the CO/SD has the PAT mark?
That is really weird - As didn't that disappear in 1980?

Sometimes SAK dating is very puzzling
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 10:55:52 PM by Huntsman »

gb Offline Little Tinker

Reply #17 on: August 17, 2017, 07:51:14 PM
Buy them all!!

I didn't quite to that, but  ;)  :D...  In the second picture you might just be able to see the older features: PAT on screwdriver, screw in scissors, groove on corkscrew,
TickTock.jpg
* TickTock.jpg (Filesize: 167.45 KB)
Timekeeper.jpg
* Timekeeper.jpg (Filesize: 215.13 KB)

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #18 on: August 17, 2017, 08:11:46 PM
Oh my! :drool:

gb Offline Little Tinker

Reply #19 on: August 17, 2017, 08:33:50 PM

It says the PAT mark went in 2008 here: http://victorinox.metodi.me/91mmtools.php#miniscrewdriver, which is presumably after all the stock made while the patent applied (20 years?) had been used.

I asked the shopkeeper how long they had been with her.  She said she'd got them from the owner of another shop which had closed down, so it doesn't tell us much.  I wonder what else was distributed form there  ::)  :o ...

My final purchase from there might be a Traveller SOS set for ~EUR70.  I'm not that interested in the knife, but like the idea of the compact pouch with compass / thermometer notch  :P.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 11:02:43 PM by Little Tinker »

gb Offline Fast Bill

• No Life Club
  • Carpe titanium
Reply #20 on: August 17, 2017, 10:33:25 PM

It says the PAT mark went in 2008 here: http://victorinox.metodi.me/91mmtools.php#miniscrewdriver, which is presumably after all the stock made while the patent applied (20 years?) had been used.

I asked the shopkeeper how long they had been with her.  She said she'd got them from the owner of another shop which had closed down, so it doesn't tell us much.  I wonder what else was distributed form there  ::)  :o ...

My final purchase from there might be a Traveller SOS set for ~EUR70.  I'm not that interested in the knife, but like the idea of the compact pouch and compass / thermometer.holder  :P.

That's an excellent haul LT and a surprising what you bumped into there. Quite agree with you about the Traveller SOS set it's a great combination to have. :cheers:
Per Titanium Ad Tearoom.
Apex predator of fruit cake

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #21 on: August 18, 2017, 08:18:48 AM
My final purchase from there might be a Traveller SOS set for ~EUR70.  I'm not that interested in the knife, but like the idea of the compact pouch with compass / thermometer notch  :P.

I was being dim :twak:
I was referrring to the date the PAT mark disappeared from the regular SD (which of course does not even feature in the Timekeeper), not the mini SD
So mystery solved !!

Why don't you like the Traveller  ? The one with the barometer, timer, alarm, temperature, altimeter etc etc
What's not to like ??? If you get it keep the pouch and I'll buy the Traveller off you  :tu:  :o
Once again that is an amazing price - The regular Traveller can sell for $150 + over here without the kit 

BTW - Are you living in France or just travelling
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 08:20:10 AM by Huntsman »

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Reply #22 on: August 18, 2017, 08:25:05 AM
...but I am in the USA for GOOD....

When I lived in Korea until 1 month ago, I would go to the Vic store up in Namdaemun market up in Seoul....the dude was LOADED with NIB Supertimers; 18 I think is what he said.  Cost: @$85.  That is where I got mine.
This I don't get. I recently bought a Recruit from a local guy who have several SAKs with reasonable prices. He said he sources his cheap SAKs from South Korea.

What is it about SAKs and SK?

gb Offline Little Tinker

Reply #23 on: August 18, 2017, 09:10:33 PM

Why don't you like the Traveller  ? The one with the barometer, timer, alarm, temperature, altimeter etc etc
What's not to like ??? If you get it keep the pouch and I'll buy the Traveller off you  :tu:  :o
Once again that is an amazing price - The regular Traveller can sell for $150 + over here without the kit 
Unfortunately its the set with a Huntsman with plus scales: https://www.swiss-knife.com/en/swiss-army-knives/victorinox/sets/victorinox-traveller-set.html.  The SOS in my original title was misplaced.  Still a decent price so I got it to see how I get on with the pouch (which isn't available as a separate item AFAIK.  I may get a modern electronic scale knife soon if I see one at a good price.

BTW - Are you living in France or just travelling

Just staying near Val d'Isere for a week.  It's been great.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 09:43:23 PM by Little Tinker »

gb Offline Little Tinker

Reply #24 on: August 18, 2017, 09:44:37 PM

To round things out I got a couple of 2.2311 economy 84mm Lumberjacks for under EUR10 as I plan to make a Compact Small Tinker or similar...

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%