Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Ironbridge

DaveK · 27 · 3327

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Ironbridge
on: August 11, 2010, 01:32:34 AM
We had a day-trip to Ironbridge today for the first time in a few years.

Ironbridge takes it's name from a 100ft iron bridge that spans the River Severn. The bridge was the first to be made from iron, and was essentially erected as an advert for a new technique perfected by Abraham Darby for creating pig iron using blast furnaces fuelled by coke rather than charcoal. It is widely held that this manufacturing process was the catalyst that really kick-started the industrial revolution, and Iron Bridge Gorge products were distributed all over the world.

It's astonishing that the bridge, erected in 1779 is still going strong today, and the area now known as "The Ironbridge Gorge" and it's multitude of museums is now a World Heritage Site.

We visited one of the museums today (in my opinion the best one) Blists Hill, where a Victorian village has been recreated around the historic pre-existing exhibits that have been there for over 200 years.

Some pictures then!

A working replica of the world's first steam locomotive, built in Coalbrookdale (Ironbridge) for Richard Trevithick in 1802:

Some typical early 1800s blast furnaces:

One of my favourite relics at the Blists Hill museum is the Hay Inclined Plane. The age of this thing blows my mind, and it's fitting that it has now been granted ancient monument status. The inclined plane is a way of getting heavy goods and materials (think iron ore, bricks, tile etc) down a very steep 207ft slope to the river below.

This particular plane was first operational in 1791, using horses to pull the heavy loads, before a stem engine house was added in 1793.

The heavy materials would be transported to the top of the incline by flat bottomed boat via canal, (which is dry at this point these days), before being dragged onto submerged, wheeled cradles and in turn dragged up onto rails:

Here's an info board that explains it all better:

The load would then be allowed to descend the 207ft to the bottom, where river boats would await. The weight of the descending load, via gearing would pull empty boats back uo the slop via parallel rails:

A truly remarkable bit of 18th Century technology!

After the museum, we went to Ironbridge itself, and I took a few snaps of the bridge (well you have to really, don't you)?

And finally a nice shot of the River Severn, from the bridge....

I used to come here a lot.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Re: Ironbridge
Reply #1 on: August 11, 2010, 02:47:15 AM
Love these little photo essays you have going Dave. Keep this up, and I reckon I will get a good idea of some parts of the UK without even leaving my home.  :D

Interestingly enough, just 70 miles east of my city, resides another town called Iron Bridge (population 800), named in 1886 from a steel bridge built two years beforehand that spanned the Mississagi River. This bridge was replaced in 1949 with a concrete one.

A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: August 11, 2010, 03:20:05 AM
Great pics again as usual Dave! :tu: I really envy you and all the great places you get to visit! :cheers:
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #3 on: August 11, 2010, 07:24:27 AM
I'd love to see Mr Trevithick first loco up close like that (even if it is a replica) 8)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

gb Offline Magic Bus

• No Life Club
  • Ruler of the E01 society!!
Reply #4 on: August 11, 2010, 07:29:10 PM
This brings back memories, thanks Dave. I visited back in the late '70's as part of a college trip.
Gabba gabba hey!!

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: August 12, 2010, 01:48:00 AM
As long as people enjoy reading this stuff - I'll keep posting it guys - thanks for the feedback :tu:

I forgot the money shot though!

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: August 12, 2010, 01:55:24 AM
Great pics as always Dave. :tu:  I've seen that bridge and the Trevithick loco in a few documentaries but I'd love to see them in the flesh.  :cheers:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: August 12, 2010, 01:58:08 AM
Thanks for the tour Dave :tu:  We're thinking of going at some point as it has steam stuff and my eldest has got quite into the Victorian Farm and Victorian Pharmacy TV series.

I think I was nine the last time I visited, so about due a return.
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: August 12, 2010, 02:02:05 AM
It's very close to where we have held a couple of the meets Gareth (less than 15 minutes away).

If the mini-meet goes ahead in September - we can do a quick diversion to the bridge :tu:

Thanks for the tour Dave :tu:  We're thinking of going at some point as it has steam stuff and my eldest has got quite into the Victorian Farm and Victorian Pharmacy TV series.

I think I was nine the last time I visited, so about due a return.

Tbh - there's not a huge amount there steam-wise Neil. There's reference to it, and of course that Trevithick loco is special, but there's not a huge amount to see "in action".

You might find the Black Country Museum is a better fit - it has trams and a trolley-bus and a better Victorian Sweet Shop :D

http://www.bclm.co.uk/

gb Offline Neil

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: August 12, 2010, 02:07:00 AM
We'd probably camp over for a couple of days and do a general explore.  Thanks for the link :tu:

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: August 12, 2010, 02:19:03 AM
To be honest, if you picked the right place to camp, you could be under 30 minutes from both museums!

If they like steam engines, you could do worse than visit the Science museum (or Thinktank as some moron thought sounded better)  ::) They have some pretty impressive looking engines there and they fire them up each day too: http://www.thinktank.ac/page.asp?section=242&sectionTitle=Power+Up

They have a bunch of interactive things for the kids too. I seem to remember it was a bit pricey, but they had to kick us out at the end of the day and the kids loved it! Definitely a good move if it's raining!

gb Offline Neil

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: August 12, 2010, 02:23:09 AM
Looks good but yep, pricey  :-\

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #12 on: August 12, 2010, 02:52:25 AM
Our company had a surprise visit from OSHA recently. (Occupational Safety and Health Administration) We were written up for not having a sheet metal guard properly in place on a small bench top beltsander. ::) ::) ::) I wonder what the OSHA inspector would think of those big open exposed gears on the side of Richard Trevithick's engine? :D :D

(Image removed from quote.)
(Image removed from quote.)

In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: August 12, 2010, 02:53:50 AM
Lol. It makes you wonder whether there would have actually have been an industrial revolution if we'd had "Health and Safety" in those days doesn't it?

gb Offline Neil

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: August 12, 2010, 03:03:22 AM
Good job you didn't have a SOG on you Bob  :ahhh

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #15 on: August 12, 2010, 08:17:58 AM
It's very close to where we have held a couple of the meets Gareth (less than 15 minutes away).

If the mini-meet goes ahead in September - we can do a quick diversion to the bridge :tu:

D'oh!  :doh:

Ah well, as you say, next time I'm in the area. :tu:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #16 on: August 14, 2010, 08:57:38 AM
Thanks for posting Dave . I was supposed to go there on a School trip but the great storm of 87 put pay to that .

gb Offline ryan1835

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • buh
Reply #17 on: August 14, 2010, 09:28:06 AM

What about the blue bell railway?
I

gb Offline Neil

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #18 on: August 14, 2010, 02:14:06 PM
Pricey as well for a family visit but on the hit list :)

gb Offline ryan1835

• buh
Reply #19 on: August 14, 2010, 02:27:58 PM
I have a friend who an apprentice there I'm hoping to get behind the scenes in the workshop soon
I

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #20 on: August 14, 2010, 07:43:06 PM

What about the blue bell railway?

I don't know what that is tbh!

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #21 on: August 14, 2010, 07:58:13 PM
That's some impressive scenery Dave  :D  As for me, I'm afraid our daytrips are on hold until cooler weather.  It's been sweltering hot here in Florida and difficult to stay cool  8)
SAW

us Offline yud

• No Life Club
  • Still has a SOGgy feeling
Reply #22 on: August 15, 2010, 09:42:18 PM
Some really good shots there Dave :tu:

Just another weirdo with a beard :B:

Knight of the SOSAK and Defender of the sacred nail file

Offline Hedge Kid

• Member 003 of the MickyD Fan Club
Reply #23 on: August 16, 2010, 01:20:53 AM
Great shots Dave. Funnily enough I was thinking of taking Son of Hedge Kid there for a couple of days. Blists Hill looked good. But then I remembered being hauled around Ironbridge as a teenager and not appreciating it as much as I would now  :D  Mind you, steampunk wasn't cool then  :) I may go for a weekend later in the year.

So Dave, which do you think is better, Blists Hill or the Black Country Museum. I've never been to Blists Hill and haven't been to the Black Country Museum since I was a kid.

Neil, if you want to go to the Thinktank, I'll keep an eye out for vouchers for you. I get them emailed cos I'm a 'local'. If you do go, go early, take packed lunches and plenty of water because the cafes are rubbish and expensive. Have you thought of going to Bewdley or Kidderminster for the Severn Valley Railway? The safari park is good there too. However, with the safari park you want to go early in the season because they give you a free return for the same car during the same season, so you can go once in spring and once in autumn (avoid summer unless you like being cooked inside your own car while a variety of animals stand and watch, laughing)
I

gb Offline Neil

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #24 on: August 16, 2010, 02:26:11 AM
Vouchers would be good :D :tu:

I've come to the conclusion that unless its going down to the local pool or parks, everywhere is expensive these days :(  I'm not being a Scrooge, just watching the pennies  :)

Offline Hedge Kid

• Member 003 of the MickyD Fan Club
Reply #25 on: August 17, 2010, 12:18:08 AM
I'm a scrooge about it  :D I've been to too many places that cost far too much money and then it's rubbish!
I

gb Offline Neil

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #26 on: August 17, 2010, 12:35:15 PM
Been there done that  :-\ 

Yesterday was nearly a cheap day; had a picnic at the park with the wasps.  Then it all got expensive as I went to the dentist for a checkup and filling ::)  £45.60!  and that's on the NHS  >:(

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%