Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Flick out plier's

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Re: Flick out plier's
Reply #30 on: September 09, 2007, 09:32:33 PM
Ok, then are there any real life downside's to the flick out plier's ???

Niggely little thing's like a rattle I can probably live with, but are there any more glaring fault's :-\
. IMHO, the only good thing about the gerber was the fact that it had one handed pliers...everything else was kinda crappy. :(
Maybe that explain's there lack of popularity then ???
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

gb Offline Roadie

• No Life Club
  • Hello...is this thing on?
Reply #31 on: September 10, 2007, 12:21:08 AM
I don't find the tools on any of my gerbers crappy, yes they may not be as good as some other makes, but they are quite servicable, and for the most part the tools are a lot cheaper than the other brands, which isn't a bad thing! The pliers are so handy you'll miss them on any other tool you use, and they have even got tools with one handed blades (is it the freehand?) so you get the best of both worlds there. The screwdrivers may be stubby but they work very well as long as the screw isn't too far recessed. In my opinion Gerbers are fantastic tools at a great price and are very creative with what they do, what innovations have leatherman come up with? apart from a replaceable bit driver? most of their tools follow a pretty basic formula with just a different set of tools or materials. Gerber have replaceable wire cutters, a saw coupler and one handed pliers.

ermmm yeah....buy a gerber! :D
Life is like a sandwich...the older it gets the crustier it becomes!

Reply #32 on: September 10, 2007, 09:53:24 AM
I don't find the tools on any of my gerbers crappy, yes they may not be as good as some other makes, but they are quite servicable, and for the most part the tools are a lot cheaper than the other brands, which isn't a bad thing! The pliers are so handy you'll miss them on any other tool you use, and they have even got tools with one handed blades (is it the freehand?) so you get the best of both worlds there. The screwdrivers may be stubby but they work very well as long as the screw isn't too far recessed. In my opinion Gerbers are fantastic tools at a great price and are very creative with what they do, what innovations have leatherman come up with? apart from a replaceable bit driver? most of their tools follow a pretty basic formula with just a different set of tools or materials. Gerber have replaceable wire cutters, a saw coupler and one handed pliers.

ermmm yeah....buy a gerber! :D
Are you on commistion ;) ;D

gb Offline Roadie

• No Life Club
Reply #33 on: September 10, 2007, 11:08:52 AM
Oh i wish! I only have 3 gerbers, although that may be 4 by the end of today......

Reply #34 on: September 10, 2007, 11:23:58 AM
Oh i wish! I only have 3 gerbers, although that may be 4 by the end of today......
What model are you after, and whatcha got mister ;D

gb Offline Roadie

• No Life Club
Reply #35 on: September 10, 2007, 01:03:07 PM
Well i'm after a mp400, and i have the precurser to the mp600, mp600 and the Legend 800. There's one on ebay that i have my eye on so lets hope the price doesn't get too high!

Reply #36 on: September 10, 2007, 02:22:53 PM
Well i'm after a mp400, and i have the precurser to the mp600, mp600 and the Legend 800. There's one on ebay that i have my eye on so lets hope the price doesn't get too high!
Ebay's a fickle thing, sometime's you get lucky, other time's something goes for a stupid amount ::)

Anyway best off luck with the bid mate, and let us know how you get on :)

Offline damota

Reply #37 on: September 11, 2007, 03:20:30 PM
Flick out pliers are what make this tool the multitool. If you loosen the axle screw 1/4 turn one you have flicked the plier head out, hold one of the handles and pull back the Saf T Lock the handle tools will drop half open so by useing your finger you can select the tool you need forward while moving the others back. The friction of the lock plate helps while selecting the tool. Turn the tool round and draw back the plier head and this makes sure it is impossible for any tool in use to shut on you even if you catch the Saf T Lock. This means the whole tool can be operated one handed. Try that with any of the butterflies.
Gerber screw driver do the job but a simple bit adapter opens up the world of 1/4 hex bit in just about every screw design ever made.
As I have said before no sliding mech/ no multi tools for me.

Dave

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD