Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Help with scales for Recruit

de Offline Turnstone

• No Life Club
Help with scales for Recruit
on: August 17, 2010, 08:57:01 AM
From my first paycheck I just got a Vic Recruit. I like this small cheap celidor a lot, it is my first 84 mm SAK. I never thought the size would make such a difference, but I like the size much more than my old Spartan, and now I want a small Tinker, too  :ahhh

Problem: I ordered it online (new), and the scales on the side with the cross (and the tweezers) are loose. They were so loose that I could snap them off without any tools, just with my fingers (and I don't have strong fingers). And once they were off, they are even looser  :rant: The knife was so cheap that sending it back or to Victorinox would be almost as expensive as buying a new one. Getting new scales from Rotokid is the same.

Are there other replacement scales for the Recruit than the standard red ones? I would love to have StayGlow scales, but I am afraid that they were never available for this knife. I would take Ruby or Sapphire, too, but paying almost the same for the ordinary scales as for the whole knife...  :ahhh

What about glue? I hate the though about fixing them this way, but on the other hand, this was so cheap that I could always buy another one if I wanted to take them off for any reasons and it doesn't work because they cannot be removed anymore. What type of glue can you recommend? Is it enough to put the glue just in the holes, or do I better keep the glues away from the holes because I could fix the tools this way, too?

Last option: time to try to build my own scales...  :pok: I am not sure if I can do it, but it would be really cool to have a SAK with custom scales.   :think:

What would you do?

Thanks for your help!

Offline Andreas

• No Life Club
Re: Help with scales for Recruit
Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 08:59:31 AM
Super glue works wonders ;)

00 Offline Freudian Frog

• No Life Club
  • I just don't know what went wrong.
Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 09:16:41 AM
Either use glue (simple super glue or an epoxy or something), or make it into a scaling project. :P
Got those frog legs.

de Offline Turnstone

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: August 17, 2010, 09:23:34 AM
Oh, I forgot to mention a little detail about the knife... seems it doesn't sell very well from this shop, I got one with the old, pre-2005 stamp on the main blade, with shield  :D

Where should I put the glue, if I decide to glue the scale?

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: August 17, 2010, 12:29:29 PM
Super glue can react with the cellidor causing it to crack or craze.  A simpler glue would suffice, something like Bostick or Gloop.  Just a drop in each bushing hole and then lightly clamp for twenty four hours :tu:
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

Offline sappyg

Reply #5 on: August 17, 2010, 04:10:32 PM
my old recruit had the same issue as yours. i used hot glue but my method really boogered up the scales. at the time i did not know how easy it is to remove the scales so i drilled some holes and pumped them full of hot glue. looked like poo but this was a working knife and looks were secondary to me.

it 'fixed' the problem right away as the glue sets quickly and it held up very well abeit ugly. i think it would work just as well doing the proper way by removing the scales. a couple of drops on the pins and snap the scales back in place and they should be good to go.
i

us Offline Spork, Lord of Lime Jello!

• No Life Club
  • Benner fan club #003
Reply #6 on: August 17, 2010, 04:33:37 PM
Be careful with Superglue...it may wick past the bushings and bind the knife.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #7 on: August 17, 2010, 04:44:53 PM
I have made a few leather scales and glued them on using rubber cement. So far, the cement has held rather nicely. You could try rubber cement.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

de Offline Turnstone

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: August 17, 2010, 04:48:12 PM
Thanks for your suggestions!  :tu:

I will see what we have at home to glue the scales.

us Offline Mike 56

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: August 17, 2010, 04:54:28 PM
In the past i have used J-B Weld but after reading about Goop clear on this forum i tried it now that is all i use. I buy it at target stores. I put a small amount were the pins fit into the scales a clamp over night.
I think Alcohol, Tabacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency. 

Mike

de Offline Turnstone

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: August 23, 2010, 01:08:52 PM
I used something called "Uhu Kraftkleber" to glue on the scale. The tube said it can be used for all kinds of plastic, and for metal, too. Filled only the bushing holes. After a few days of carrying it, no problems so far.  :tu:

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: August 23, 2010, 01:19:06 PM
Good to hear and thanks for reporting back on your success :tu:
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

Offline sappyg

Reply #12 on: August 23, 2010, 05:31:03 PM
I used something called "Uhu Kraftkleber" to glue on the scale. The tube said it can be used for all kinds of plastic, and for metal, too. Filled only the bushing holes. After a few days of carrying it, no problems so far.  :tu:

sounds like the problem is solved  :tu:
i

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $149.46
PayPal Fees: $8.74
Net Balance: $140.72
Below Goal: $159.28