Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SAK for my dad

us Offline lovenhim

SAK for my dad
on: September 03, 2010, 05:32:35 AM
Hello everyone.  I was talking with my dad today and I will be going to see him in a week or so.  He mentioned not having a pocket knife.  He has never owned a SAK, so I wonder what I should get him for a first SAK.  He is a DIY guy who does all his own house repair, is an old school car mechanic, and has his first ever quality flashlight...a Streamlight Stylus Pro that he EDCs now.  I was thinking of a 91mm model and I am thinking a SAK over a multitool for him.  What are your ideas?  I am thinking a Super Tinker. 
When In doubt, C4

mx Offline Sidhartha

• Hecho en México
Re: SAK for my dad
Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 05:42:00 AM
swisschamp or handyman (craftsman) i think your dad would love the pliers.  :tu:
custom swiss army knives

us Offline jazzbass

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 05:51:00 AM
If he's a DIY guy like you say, an inline Philips is a must IMO. If buying new look at a Yeoman (can get them new from SwissBianco), Explorer, Spartan Lite, Champion Plus, or Huntsman Lite. If buying used a Yeoman, Scientist or Passenger and clean them up, maybe replace the scales. I have a lot of interests in common with your father (home DIY, auto repair, etc) and the inline phillips is one of my most used tools.

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #3 on: September 03, 2010, 07:32:59 AM
Swisschamp!

ni-ulster Offline cerbera147

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: September 03, 2010, 10:31:29 AM
I think as a proper 'Dad SAK' the Farmer fits the bill  :tu:

Not sure it ties up with his needs especially as keen mechanic  :think:

What about the Wenger EVO S557?  :tu:

Would he not appreciate Leatherman's take on the SAK? The Juice  :tu:

de Offline Turnstone

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: September 03, 2010, 10:56:06 AM
I got a Huntsman with plus scales for my father. Nice collection of tools, not too large for pocket carry.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #6 on: September 03, 2010, 12:02:41 PM
The Wenger S557 is an awesome SAK. EDC'd mine for quite a while.  I sorta lost faith a bit when the corkscrew deformed after one use... :(

But if he's not a wine drinker then all's good!  (The alligator wrench is very nice)

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #7 on: September 03, 2010, 12:31:08 PM
How about a Victorinox Hercules or WorkChamp with a Victorinox sheath that would fit the knife. Those 111mm knives are workhorses.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #8 on: September 03, 2010, 12:49:30 PM
I think the swisschamp is always a goodun as it covers most bases so it bound to have what he needs, and just feels and looks like a nice gift. It is also what many think of when people say swiss army knife so it's nice from that angle as well.
I'm back!!

us Offline Singh

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: September 03, 2010, 03:39:14 PM
Your dad sounds a lot like mine. My father was a mechanic and fixed  EVERYTHING around the house .

My dad would find the pliers on a  SAK utterly useless. If your dad is like mine, then he’ll have plenty of dedicated tools to use, so his SAK or MT doesn’t have to be all-inclusive; it just has to be useful and not too much of a pain to lug around. Honestly, my father would found a Swisschamp too much of a fuss to have in his pocket.

My dad had an original  Leatherman PST and found it very useful. Given that, I’d get him a  Swisstool Spirit.  It’s not too bulky or heavy, and he’s more likely to carry  it.  Or if it’s a SAK you want to get him, I’d opt for something simple: A Farmer, Soldier, Climber or Super Tinker. Or maybe just a Tinker.   
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 03:43:24 PM by shamus »

us Offline lovenhim

Reply #10 on: September 03, 2010, 05:13:20 PM
Your dad sounds a lot like mine. My father was a mechanic and fixed  EVERYTHING around the house .

My dad would find the pliers on a  SAK utterly useless. If your dad is like mine, then he’ll have plenty of dedicated tools to use, so his SAK or MT doesn’t have to be all-inclusive; it just has to be useful and not too much of a pain to lug around. Honestly, my father would found a Swisschamp too much of a fuss to have in his pocket.

My dad had an original  Leatherman PST and found it very useful. Given that, I’d get him a  Swisstool Spirit.  It’s not too bulky or heavy, and he’s more likely to carry  it.  Or if it’s a SAK you want to get him, I’d opt for something simple: A Farmer, Soldier, Climber or Super Tinker. Or maybe just a Tinker.   

You pretty much nailed it with my dad.  He built the wooden deck with a skill saw, hammer & nails, no fancy air nailers or table saw were used.  His primary mechanics tool collection are from the 60s so nothing fancy there.  He would dig a hole for a flag post with a shovel or post hole digger, no power auger.  He does have those dedicated tools and you are right in saying that if the SAK or multi is too complex it would not get used.  I went to the Sosak website and I bought him a Super Tinker for $10.  I am not sure he would not think the Superchamp was not overkill and complex (where is that awl located on this thing?)  When I recieve the SAK I will make sure it is sharp and the scales are all shiny.  With my dad it is the thought that counts and not the fact that the knife is new or used.  I thought about a juice but I was not sure if it would not be to complex for him.  I think he will like and use this SAK for an EDC tool.  Thanks for the help.
When In doubt, C4

br Offline M.TEX

Reply #11 on: September 03, 2010, 05:19:47 PM
 Just go easy on him...don't start him with a large knife ( ea. swisschamp )
 just figure what it will be the use ( most ) and go from there...
 M.TEX
M.TEX

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #12 on: September 04, 2010, 09:49:51 AM
Super Tinker sounds a good choice to me.  If someone isn't particularly in to SAKs then I wouldn't give them more than a three layer one to start with, IMO they'll just never carry the thing if it's any bigger.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

Offline VicX

Reply #13 on: September 06, 2010, 08:22:51 PM
Hello everyone.  I was talking with my dad today and I will be going to see him in a week or so.  He mentioned not having a pocket knife.  He has never owned a SAK, so I wonder what I should get him for a first SAK.  He is a DIY guy who does all his own house repair, is an old school car mechanic, and has his first ever quality flashlight...a Streamlight Stylus Pro that he EDCs now.  I was thinking of a 91mm model and I am thinking a SAK over a multitool for him.  What are your ideas?  I am thinking a Super Tinker. 

Swisschamp/Handyman are great choices.
If you think something thinner could be easier for him to carry, an Explorer Plus.

VicX

Offline Silentsniper441

Reply #14 on: September 08, 2010, 12:25:11 AM
id say swiss champ, deluxe tinker or craftsman
I

us Offline turbov21

Reply #15 on: September 09, 2010, 01:07:05 PM
The Super Tinker is a very good choice! :tu: :tu:

spam Offline Fisting_Chili

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: September 09, 2010, 02:12:09 PM
Easy.....Wenger Giant!
:rofl:
“Do not go gentle, into that goodnight.  Rage....RAGE against the dying of the light!"

-Dylan Thomas

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $149.46
PayPal Fees: $8.74
Net Balance: $140.72
Below Goal: $159.28
Site Currency: USD