Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Bibler Tents

ca Offline Shane769

• No Life Club
  • Gone Climbing.
Bibler Tents
on: August 18, 2010, 07:52:36 AM
I know this is a very gearcentric group, and I love my gear, but currently I need a new tent. I'm choosing between 3 at this moment, a high quality 2-3 person MEC (Nunatak); cheaper, older design MEC (Lightfield); or an expensive Black Diamond/Bibler tent, the Tempest. I have seen both MEC tents, but never one of the Tempests. So I was wondering if any of you have seen or used a Bibler, and can let me know if I should shell out the cash to get one.
"I would rather live 40 years of excitement and fun and exhilarating and just WOOOO, full volume, then 80 years of la di di di da... you know... boring. Why not get out there and live it?!"

de Offline Shorty66

Re: Bibler Tents
Reply #1 on: August 21, 2010, 01:20:17 AM
Well, its a bit hard to recommend you a tent if we dont know anything of the things you are planning to do with it.

Of your round up i would definitly go for the bibler tempest. Its a really amazing tent: extremely sturdy, versatile and yet relatively lightweight.
I have used the Bibler fitzroy and Bombshelter and seen a tempest in real conditions - those tents are just great.

I have moved to the black diamonds tents now though. They are lots lighter and still very sturdy - if you dont plan to do some real serious bas blizzard camping you will be satisfied with the black diamond superlights.
The Firstlight has become the primary choice for many hard climbing expeditions - the bigger less extreme tents like the lighthouse or especially the skylights are great for all year round camping in every condition.

The skylight is somewhat the superlight version of the tempest: Similar floorplan (slightly bigger to acomodate 3), but only one entrance, one pole less and added netting in the front third for an awesome cabriolet-feeling.
I would recommend you to have a look at those lighter Black Diamond tents and post somne information about the trips you are planning to make it easier to me to recommend you something...
T - `cause i like tea :)

ca Offline Shane769

• No Life Club
  • Gone Climbing.
Reply #2 on: August 21, 2010, 03:21:30 AM
DO'H! How could I leave that out. Mostly I'm centered around winter camping in Northern BC. Backcountry skiing being the prime goal. I am not concerned about having a 3 person tent, I would prefer a 2 person with a spacious vestibule for cooking and the like. Weather can get down to -40C and the wind is pretty nasty. There is a fair lack of natural shelter in some of the better ski areas, so not being able to rely on trees to block wind is important. I would also use it for backpacking as well.
"I would rather live 40 years of excitement and fun and exhilarating and just WOOOO, full volume, then 80 years of la di di di da... you know... boring. Why not get out there and live it?!"

de Offline Shorty66

Reply #3 on: August 21, 2010, 12:08:48 PM
For that conditions the skylight wont suit your needs as the vents are not fully closable. That can be quite uncomfortable in snowstorms.

I still don`t know your height, so i wont suggest some of the smaller tents.

For your application (skiing and backpacking) i would try to stay below 3kg or about 7lbs. I think thats already quite a weight for a backpacking tent. Of course there are lots of tents for extreme conditions that are heavier but you wont have that much fun skiing with them in your pack.

For extreme toughness and a well thought-out design as well as a spacious vestibule i´d recommend the MSR Fury.

Even though thats a really nice tent it would still be to heavy to me. For a little less sturdiness but a little bigger vestibule the Mountain Equipment Dragonfly 2 XT is about 500g lighter.
It´s really difficult to get in the US though.

If you like versatile Tents you should also have a look at the Black Diamond Lighthouse Tent.
It`s sturdy enough for winter storms, large enough for people over 180cm and has an optional vestibule wich adds a lot of space but can be left at home for a really lightweight experience.

I own the Black Diamond Hilight tent and an optional vestibule (and carbon poles by the way  :D ) which i use in about the same conditions as you: Wintercamping on high alpine summits.
Its on the small side though and you will have a tough time fitting in there if you are taller than 180cm. Considering you will use a winter Sleeping bag that bag will most likely touch the wally on each side in that tent. You will need a sleeping bag with waterproof outershell in that tent.
If you own such a sleeping bag and are max 180cm tall, that tent might be an option for you.
By the way: Its typical use weight is 1,3kg (or 1,2 with carbon poles  :D).

The Bibler Tempest would also be a good choice - its just slightly heavy (as the Fury is).
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 12:18:09 PM by Shorty66 »
T - `cause i like tea :)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $149.46
PayPal Fees: $8.74
Net Balance: $140.72
Below Goal: $159.28