Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Surge Owners Club

us Offline Outback in Idaho

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Not all those who wander are lost.
Surge Owners Club
on: August 19, 2010, 07:06:10 AM
After a couple of years of wishing, dished out the $74 and bought me a BO Surge. Just came in today.   :D

Only one thing is bugging me, the scissors.

In the closed position, use my left hand & thumb to deploy the scissors all the way out and up, expecting a click. No click! Instead the spring is all the way on the left of the main blade, with the other scissor lever along side.
The work-around seems to slightly move the smaller lever to the right, and then move my thumb to the right of the main blade, the push left. Click!

Is this normal, and needing worked in more?

Deploying

Waiting for a click...

No click!

Another photo of the blade fully extended - Not locked

Flip over and move scissors upward

Click!

Or slide small lever to right, then move main blade over for the click!

Now it's locked!

Past the scissors I finally have a tool with an awl, and a warranty. Now awaiting Surge TTi - with awl.

Really notice the handle slap with the hefty mongrel, will take some time to get used to it. My former wave feels like a Squirt now! Passed the Wave on to my Mother who really likes that saw & file system.  :drool:
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 08:53:16 AM by Xelkos »
¬ Outback in Idaho

Behind every mask there is a face, behind that a story.

ca Offline Shane769

• No Life Club
  • Gone Climbing.
Re: Surge Owners Club
Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 07:26:52 AM
Yeah it is normal that the scissors need to be slightly open before they will lock into place. I will say that I am a former Surge owner :P :(
"I would rather live 40 years of excitement and fun and exhilarating and just WOOOO, full volume, then 80 years of la di di di da... you know... boring. Why not get out there and live it?!"

us Offline evil510

• Envision. Create. Innovate.
Reply #2 on: August 19, 2010, 07:59:11 AM

Really notice the handle slap with the hefty mongrel, will take some time to get used to it.
Yes, it is normal. With this design the spring is under no pressure when the scissors are folded up, only when fully deployed. Another work around is after partially deployed, continue unfolding, pressing on the tip until in the locked position, spring will pop into place. Anyway, that is what worked for me... that is, when my Surge actually had Surge scissors  ;)  As for the handle slap, that bugs the hell out of me on any of my tools. Nothing a few well placed shims won't fix.....

~ evil ~

CURRENT PROJECTS:
Evil's Urban Trekker (on hold)
Shear Evil (on hold)
The Evil Incarnate (a work in progress)

UPDATES:
Evil's Quad Strop Mini introduced.....
Evil's Pocket Octo-Driver introduced.....
Brute Driver HD - COMPLETE

LATEST NEWS:

Reply #3 on: August 19, 2010, 08:06:48 AM

Really notice the handle slap with the hefty mongrel, will take some time to get used to it.
Yes, it is normal. With this design the spring is under no pressure when the scissors are folded up, only when fully deployed. Another work around is after partially deployed, continue unfolding, pressing on the tip until in the locked position, spring will pop into place. Anyway, that is what worked for me... that is, when my Surge actually had Surge scissors  ;)  As for the handle slap, that bugs the hell out of me on any of my tools. Nothing a few well placed shims won't fix.....

~ evil ~

Wonder where those well placed shims would go.  :o

Your Surge mod: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,20213.msg384960.html#msg384960 :drool: /wants
Only the ST300 I have is silver, the Surge is BO. :lol:
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 08:23:58 AM by Xelkos »
¬ Outback in Idaho

Offline landroza

Reply #4 on: August 19, 2010, 08:16:18 AM
Yeah it is normal that the scissors need to be slightly open before they will lock into place. I will say that I am a former Surge owner :P :(

I'm a new Surge user and I hold the Surge for less than one month before sent back for warrenty purpose. I faced the same issue at the scissors side.
Have you check the land yard clip status. Mine can not fully deploy..

Reply #5 on: August 19, 2010, 08:41:03 AM

I'm a new Surge user and I hold the Surge for less than one month before sent back for warrenty purpose. I faced the same issue at the scissors side.
Have you check the land yard clip status. Mine can not fully deploy..

Is this a fully deployed lanyard ring? Seems a bit short compared to other tools.

Had to use the Style CS' nail trimmer file to push the ring back up past the end of the tool, from inside the tool exchanger channel. Then grabbed what I could and pulled out.

The ring doesn't want to be pulled out any further.
¬ Outback in Idaho

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #6 on: August 19, 2010, 08:42:18 AM
Consider scissors have a nail nick, I don't think they designed it for easy OHO.

Lanyard ring on mine is like that too.

us Offline Vadim

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: August 20, 2010, 07:40:50 PM
I'm a Surge user too  ;)
_DSC0001.JPG
* _DSC0001.JPG (Filesize: 94.59 KB)
_DSC0002.JPG
* _DSC0002.JPG (Filesize: 83.67 KB)

Offline landroza

Reply #8 on: August 21, 2010, 02:17:12 AM
I'm a Surge user too  ;)

Nice sheath you have there..

Collected my Surge from the local dealer for warrenty issue on scissors and lanyard ring.

Scissors - slightly better
Lanyard ring - same as before

They replace a display unit for me, although it is older than my new surge but I found that
this replaced Surge has better quality. (less loosen) An the best part, I got an extra wooden
saw + original packing box (yellow).

us Offline Vadim

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: August 21, 2010, 07:46:26 AM
I'm a Surge user too  ;)

Nice sheath you have there..

Collected my Surge from the local dealer for warrenty issue on scissors and lanyard ring.

Scissors - slightly better
Lanyard ring - same as before

They replace a display unit for me, although it is older than my new surge but I found that
this replaced Surge has better quality. (less loosen) An the best part, I got an extra wooden
saw + original packing box (yellow).

Yeah,thank you for great sheath!Really like it.
My Wave has a better QC than Surge.
Every Surge unit I replaced was with the same bad quality.
I like quality of ST300,much better  :tu:

Unusual Observation
Reply #10 on: September 05, 2010, 02:51:24 PM
Was cutting some light stuff today when I felt the handle wiggling or something, and was wondering if anyone else has noticed this odd peculiarity.

With your Surge closed, open the scissors (facing up).
Then operate the scissor handle back and forth and see if your serrated blade moves back and forth in the handle.

Mine seems to make the serrated blade move from the right side to the left when the scissors are clamped, then the blade moves back to the right when the scissors are reopened.

Maybe mine's possessed, or it had a bent pivot joint, unsure. Thought I'd ask if anyone's notices this peculiarity on their Surge too.

If could get my new Olympus camera to work like it claims it should half the time, I could record a small movie clip. Knew I should of stuck with the Sony Cybershot - least I wouldn't have to take 20 macro shots to get one good picture.
¬ Outback in Idaho

us Offline evil510

Reply #11 on: September 06, 2010, 05:32:59 AM
Was cutting some light stuff today when I felt the handle wiggling or something, and was wondering if anyone else has noticed this odd peculiarity.

With your Surge closed, open the scissors (facing up).
Then operate the scissor handle back and forth and see if your serrated blade moves back and forth in the handle.

Mine seems to make the serrated blade move from the right side to the left when the scissors are clamped, then the blade moves back to the right when the scissors are reopened.

Maybe mine's possessed, or it had a bent pivot joint, unsure. Thought I'd ask if anyone's notices this peculiarity on their Surge too.

Hey Xelkos. First off, double check the tension of the pivot bolt to see if it is adjusted correctly. After that, if you are talking about the knife moving that is opposite of the scissors before they are in the locked position, yes, quite possible you have a bent pivot bolt. If that is the case, more than likely it is the male end of the sex bolt. They bend out of whack pretty easily and create pressure points that make it bind instead of the pressure being evenly distributed. Couple of things you can try... you can take it out and carefully straighten it. Sometimes, simply removing the pivot bolt and reversing it reduces this issue, depending on which tool you use more often. If you want the nodule on the liner lock to apply more initial pressure to keep your blade in place you can remove the knife and pry out the liner lock a bit and then re-install knife. Keep in mind it will take a little more effort to break the free of that pressure. Hope some of that made sense and helped a little bit.....

~ evil ~
CURRENT PROJECTS:
Shear Evil (on hold)

UPDATES:

LATEST NEWS:

us Offline David

Reply #12 on: September 06, 2010, 06:58:54 PM
SURGE
Surge 010.JPG
* Surge 010.JPG (Filesize: 97.07 KB)
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #13 on: September 06, 2010, 07:40:11 PM
I have a couple CAMO SURGES and in addition to them being built with spot-on precision, the camo is done very nicely and uniquely for each Surge.  I would not sell them for any amount  :cheers:
SAW

us Offline Pacu

Reply #14 on: September 06, 2010, 07:53:53 PM
Surge owner here too.

I love this tool.

:like:    :MTO:

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #15 on: September 06, 2010, 07:56:01 PM
2HO..  :)

us Offline Accujohn

• No Life Club
Surge Owners Club
Reply #16 on: September 11, 2011, 09:44:54 AM
I have several other leathermans costing more, but my Surge is by far my go-to at home heavy duty knife. I have the replacement blades for when i need them and despite it's fit and finish issues compared to some tighter models, it handles everything i throw at it. Had some grip comfort issues when sawing through wood for a solid 5 minutes but it got it done fast and still sharp. A great, no fluff, versatile workhorse. It also saved my choking dog's life last month!

Offline theblackabbot

Reply #17 on: September 12, 2011, 08:23:58 PM
How did you save your choking dog with a Surge?  Poor ole fellow!  Glad he is ok now!

us Offline Accujohn

• No Life Club
Surge Owners Club
Reply #18 on: September 13, 2011, 12:01:46 AM
How did you save your choking dog with a Surge?  Poor ole fellow!  Glad he is ok now!

The story is on the leatherman site... But my puppy got his collar snagged in our older dogs mouth. They both panicked and choked the puppy out. His collar wouldnt come undone so i used the serrated safety tip blade to get under and cut it off. He snapped to a few seconds later thankfully

Offline theblackabbot

Reply #19 on: September 13, 2011, 12:11:18 AM
Surge to the rescue!! :multi:

za Offline Jors

• Johan Crous
Reply #20 on: September 13, 2011, 06:13:46 AM
I am also a Surge user and edc. No other model yet could kick it out of my no one favourite. Although I also like the ST300.
Regards
Johan

LEATHERMAN: Charge TTi; Super Tool 300; Surge; Pulse; Squirt P4; Micra; MUT STD; Bit Adapter; Universal Bit Adapter; Bit Extender; Leatherman Bit Kit; SOG: Powerlock (S60); Pocket PowerPlier (S44-N); Paratool (S31-N); CrossCut (CC51-CP); Rebar.
Lightsaver LS805 Commando; LED P7 & P5 (EDC); Maratac AAA (EDC Backup); Maglite Solitaire LED.
Cold Steel Lawman; Cudeman 8" & 10" Bowie. 4 Joseph Rogers, 4 Opinel; Buck 110 & 112 & 503.
www.johancrous.co.za

ca Offline Beerplumber

• No Life Club
Surge Owners Club
Reply #21 on: September 13, 2011, 06:27:48 AM
How did I miss this thread until now!?  Count me in too please!

us Offline Vadim

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: September 13, 2011, 09:22:14 AM
I am also a Surge user and edc. No other model yet could kick it out of my no one favourite. Although I also like the ST300.

Same here,my best EDC - Surge!  :tu:

spam Offline keldan

Reply #23 on: September 13, 2011, 08:15:35 PM
I EDC a Surge at home :)

Very good tool, but a little too bulky and heavy for when I go out.

The one thing that would make this even closer to perfect would be replaceable wire cutters! :drool:

us Offline Vadim

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: September 13, 2011, 10:25:29 PM

The one thing that would make this even closer to perfect would be replaceable wire cutters! :drool:

And the TTi handles!  :tu:

Reply #25 on: September 13, 2011, 10:55:07 PM

And the TTi handles!  :tu:

Aluminum or other durable scales would be better, while also keeping the cost down.
The scales on the Surge is a big issue, more so on camouflaged & black oxide as rounding them annoyingly squared edges also removes the coating.

For a former flagship model the Surge sure got the short end of the stick. Even a new one has the old blade exchanger on it. Nothing like the revised edition that is currently on the black oxide Super Tool 300 EDO model.

Leatherman seems slow to upgrade their tools...
¬ Outback in Idaho

za Offline Jors

• Johan Crous
Reply #26 on: September 14, 2011, 07:42:55 AM
I am thinking on fitting my Surge with the ST300's pliers head. I am also referring to Evil and I think one other person who did it. Then it will be a Super Surge.
If Leatherman should decide to upgrade the Surge with scales like the Charge tti. harder knife blade and the ST300 pliers, it will be the possible new flagship.
I do so muck with my big tool that I just don't want to go downwards for a smaller one.
The Surge for the purpose of this forum post is still not completele safe: If LM should decide to bring a second option for the ST300 - scissors, blade changer and bit holder, then the Surge will have a bigger competition. The one hand opening may then be the only drawback.
Regards
Johan

LEATHERMAN: Charge TTi; Super Tool 300; Surge; Pulse; Squirt P4; Micra; MUT STD; Bit Adapter; Universal Bit Adapter; Bit Extender; Leatherman Bit Kit; SOG: Powerlock (S60); Pocket PowerPlier (S44-N); Paratool (S31-N); CrossCut (CC51-CP); Rebar.
Lightsaver LS805 Commando; LED P7 & P5 (EDC); Maratac AAA (EDC Backup); Maglite Solitaire LED.
Cold Steel Lawman; Cudeman 8" & 10" Bowie. 4 Joseph Rogers, 4 Opinel; Buck 110 & 112 & 503.
www.johancrous.co.za

ca Offline Beerplumber

• No Life Club
Surge Owners Club
Reply #27 on: September 16, 2011, 01:14:24 AM
Did evil already do that? Do you know which thread that was? If they fit without too much evil doing I am so going to do that.  Oh dear more favors to ask of Metropolicity...

ca Offline Metropolicity

• No Life Club
  • Hack Virtuoso
Reply #28 on: September 16, 2011, 01:22:57 AM
Did evil already do that? Do you know which thread that was? If they fit without too much evil doing I am so going to do that.  Oh dear more favors to ask of Metropolicity...

HA! you wish ;)

You have the advantage of being my city however...tactical advantage....
Why stop now?

Visit the whole Skinth family here: http://www.skinthsolutions.com

Keep up with The Skinths on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/SkinthSolutions

Shapeways - Metro's Q-branch:
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/metro-qbranch

PayPal: metrogradegoods [at} gmail. com

us Offline evil510

Reply #29 on: September 16, 2011, 01:29:39 AM
I did that swap quite a long time ago. I can dig up the post when I am back at my computer tonight.....

Sent from my Evil Android via Tapatalk Pro
CURRENT PROJECTS:
Shear Evil (on hold)

UPDATES:

LATEST NEWS:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24