Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Surge Owners Club

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Re: Surge Owners Club
Reply #390 on: June 30, 2017, 03:04:00 AM
Anyone else lose that stupid retaining spring for the bit driver?

This is one of the two reasons I was never into this tool or the wave, or some others. A survival tool, or even an "emergency go- to" tool, should not be designed where parts of it can ever "fall off" and get lot under the truck or in the woods on a mountain.

I went against my better judgement and nougat this used because it is otherwise robust, and the price was great.

My other reason for not being into this type of Leatherman is that I prefer my weapons to be weapons, and my tools to be tools. Having one-handed, outside accessible knives makes this a weapon first. But that's a story for another day.

Now that I have it, I really like it. But the bit driver sits useless. I bought a replacement set of bits, only to realize the spring is gone.

Anyone have a source for one of those?

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #391 on: June 30, 2017, 04:35:36 AM
Always drop Leatherman an email and ask them if they would send out one :shrug:  Worse they can say is to send it to them :tu: I don't know if I have ever really heard anyone talk about losing one of these though :think:

Oh and if you email them, let us know the response :salute:

us Offline aluminated

Surge Owners Club
Reply #392 on: June 30, 2017, 05:39:19 AM

No.

My other reason for not being into this type of Leatherman is that I prefer my weapons to be weapons, and my tools to be tools. Having one-handed, outside accessible knives makes this a weapon first. But that's a story for another day.
Stuff and nonsense. Why should tools require the use two hands as  well as eye or two to operate? I am far more likely to be using one hand to hold something and only having its mate to fetch my MT than ever needing to use my Waves or Surge as personal defense items, something they would NOT excel at. Not having to look at the tool to find out which blade is falling to hand (or thumb to be exact) is a real advantage if I happen to need to keep my eye(s) on what is being cut. My 2¢. YMMV.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 05:40:57 AM by aluminated »

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #393 on: June 30, 2017, 07:28:40 AM

No.

Stuff and nonsense. Why should tools require the use two hands as  well as eye or two to operate? I am far more likely to be using one hand to hold something and only having its mate to fetch my MT than ever needing to use my Waves or Surge as personal defense items, something they would NOT excel at. Not having to look at the tool to find out which blade is falling to hand (or thumb to be exact) is a real advantage if I happen to need to keep my eye(s) on what is being cut. My 2¢. YMMV.

Stuff and nonsense, you say? I mean all of the following respectfully...

When was the last time you had to hold something in position in prep for using a tool on it, when you did not also know ahead of time that you would indeed be required to actually use the tool on it, sir?

Why should tools require the use of two hands, you ask? To that I reply, why then are 90% or more of the multi tools - Including Leatherman - out there needing two hands to open the Plyers, when Leatherman' s signature tool is the Plyers?

I can tell you which blade on my super Tool will be coming out just based on where the little lanyard ring is, and wether the chop-out for the saw is visible to  me. I can see , and FEEL both.

Why two hands for a tool?...here is more on that...Imagine using  a hammer without a nail. That's a two hand job, not that it Leatherman related, but it is tool related. I believe we must hold the bottle before being able to use the bottle opener. Oh, wait, how come a long- shanked screw driver is not given the privilege of having one hand operation...Lord knows I have had to hold many a picture frame against the wall with one hand prior to screwing in the frame hanger...eyeglass repair, wire stripping or cutting when working under the dash or hood (bonnet?) of my truck...drywall screwing, worm gear radiator hose screwing...nut and bolt tightening, staple removing, punching through leather or reeming a hole into a wooden dowell...sawing a small branch, filing a fish hook or even filing my own nails clearly requires two hands with a Leatherman...

OR...stabbing and slicing...

So which of the above do you most often do with your Leatherman, and why isn't THAT tool given one-hand status on more than one model. See what I mean?

Correct, neither the Wave nor the Surge would make great self defense weapons, but let's face it - they would not make bad ones at all in a pinch. And they developed at the exact time that a new generation of pegged or slotted one-hand opening, side clip -in- pocket- wearing "tactical" mini knives were becoming the rage. I applaud Leatherman' s vision and insight to include these types of blades on his tools as well.

There is nothing wrong with one-handed operability of this tool or any other. I like it as well. But the fact remains that it is the KNIVES that are one- hand open on most of these, more so than anything else. Whether you realize it or not , they were developed as tools that also had a tactical edge, so to speak.

Hell, one can make anything in their hands a weapon. I'm just calling it like I see it. When a focus is on speedy, one handed knife-opening, you have more focus on the weapon, that's all. Nothing wrong with that, but that's not strictly a tool.

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #394 on: June 30, 2017, 07:38:35 AM
But I digress...

Poncho - I have sent Leatherman an email to their main customer service email address, and will surely let you all know what becomes of it. I have never sought anything from them, but have heard that their customer service is as legendary as the tools they create for us.

This Surge is growing on me, to the degree that I would rather make it whole than just carry on with another tool at the moment.

us Offline Wallace72

Reply #395 on: June 30, 2017, 08:02:12 AM
I seriously doubt that Leatherman ever designed their tools with any consideration of them being used as weapons..even auxiliary ones at that. It's just a matter of convenience. Typically blades of any kind are more useful where they can be accessible without unneeded delay whether that be holding a wire with one hand and splicing it with the remaining hand holding the knife or using the serrated knife in a one handed fashion to quickly cut a seatbelt. Besides OHO tools are actually more conservative and less likely to attract attention then unfolding a tool in an attempt to pull out an implement and making a larger public display.

au Offline T.Sawyer

Reply #396 on: June 30, 2017, 08:57:07 AM
I love my Surge. When I'm at work, time is money. Oho saves time. Simple. If you can save time in one place, you can use it where it really counts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tom

nz Offline Syncop8r

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #397 on: June 30, 2017, 11:42:42 AM
This is one of the two reasons I was never into this tool or the wave, or some others. A survival tool, or even an "emergency go- to" tool, should not be designed where parts of it can ever "fall off" and get lot under the truck or in the woods on a mountain.
I wouldn't have thought of a Surge as a "survival tool" (your definition of a survival tool may be different), more a toolbox in the hand.
I do agree with your point about survival (or outdoor) tools and pieces which may become lost though.

If I suddenly need to use my Surge as a weapon I guess I would be throwing it.

us Offline aluminated

Reply #398 on: June 30, 2017, 02:46:58 PM
Meh, just get close and drop it on your opponent's foot. That may be enough.

I thank TB for making my point for me with his extensive list of two-handed operations. Wouldn't it be just swell if some of them could be one-handed? LM took the opportunity to improve functionality of its TOOLS, and a blade is just that. However one chooses to think about or use the tool is up to that individual. However, I do wonder what some may then think about Grandma's paring knife or the the 18" machete (listed under "Tools" by the manufacturer) that I was obliged to carry for years.

In any case, the missing spring seems to be a failure. I'd inspect the holder for a crack or other damage that may have allowed a release of tension (something the user probably already performed) and if all is well, give LM a call. It's no stretch at all to claim that the replacement is their responsibility. If all is not well, then the replacement of the entire holder is their responsibility as well.

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #399 on: July 01, 2017, 03:11:15 AM
I seriously doubt that Leatherman ever designed their tools with any consideration of them being used as weapons..even auxiliary ones at that. It's just a matter of convenience. Typically blades of any kind are more useful where they can be accessible without unneeded delay whether that be holding a wire with one hand and splicing it with the remaining hand holding the knife or using the serrated knife in a one handed fashion to quickly cut a seatbelt. Besides OHO tools are actually more conservative and less likely to attract attention then unfolding a tool in an attempt to pull out an implement and making a larger public display.

I respectfully disagree, based on the timing of Leathermans development  of these OHO blades, as well as the fact that  it isn't the Philips head screwdriver that got the OHO treatment.

Nothing says that the wire cannot then be grasped after the blade is opened, rather then grasping  wire and then reaching for the tool. I'm not telling anyone how to cut wire, I'm just stating that it is not likely that the wire truly need to be grasped before you open the blade. Whereas in a self defense situation, you want  a one handed knife pronto. To me it is Crystal clear. Not that there is anything wrong with it. I have a Browning model 810 folding locker. While not technically a OH O, I've learned to use it as one, and love it.

Again, I do like the Surge, and don't mean to be at odds. Just how I see the why of the OH O blades developed on a tool full of many other good tools.

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #400 on: July 01, 2017, 03:19:59 AM
Well I just got a Leatherman OHT with OHO Phillips and flathead screwdrivers, OHO can/bottle opener, OHO saw, OHO strap cutter.... I guess I had better learn how to use them as weapons since that is their primary function.  ;) :pok:

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #401 on: July 01, 2017, 03:24:10 AM
Meh, just get close and drop it on your opponent's foot. That may be enough.

I thank TB for making my point for me with his extensive list of two-handed operations. Wouldn't it be just swell if some of them could be one-handed? LM took the opportunity to improve functionality of its TOOLS, and a blade is just that. However one chooses to think about or use the tool is up to that individual. However, I do wonder what some may then think about Grandma's paring knife or the the 18" machete (listed under "Tools" by the manufacturer) that I was obliged to carry for years.

In any case, the missing spring seems to be a failure. I'd inspect the holder for a crack or other damage that may have allowed a release of tension (something the user probably already performed) and if all is well, give LM a call. It's no stretch at all to claim that the replacement is their responsibility. If all is not well, then the replacement of the entire holder is their responsibility as well.

Yes, dropping the Surge on an assailant' s foot would probably do it. Too funny. That's a great line. Having moved from PST ii daily carry to the Surge, I certainly can see why.

I have inspected the holder as per your suggestion, and all appears well. I have reached out to Leatherman via email

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #402 on: July 01, 2017, 03:35:17 AM
Well I just got a Leatherman OHT with OHO Phillips and flathead screwdrivers, OHO can/bottle opener, OHO saw, OHO strap cutter.... I guess I had better learn how to use them as weapons since that is their primary function.  ;) :pok:

When the name of he tool is OHT for One Hand Tool, it ought not be any other way.  :twak:   :)

If I am not wrong, the primary reason for its development was for returning service men and women who may have lost an arm or the use of it.

So, how many multis out of the Leatherman lineup can do that? Out of how many in the total lineup ever? Why do you think knives got that treatment, but screw drivers and can openers don't (but for rare occasion)?

Anyway, as I have said, nothing wrong with OHO of knives on these tools. Just stated how I see it and why I delayed getting one. I have it now and like it a lot, if I can ever get this bit driver issue sorted out.

us Offline aluminated

Reply #403 on: July 01, 2017, 03:42:32 AM
Yes, dropping the Surge on an assailant' s foot would probably do it. Too funny. That's a great line. Having moved from PST ii daily carry to the Surge, I certainly can see why.

I have inspected the holder as per your suggestion, and all appears well. I have reached out to Leatherman via email
Well they better take care of you or there will be some gravitational assault of the dorsum pedis. Please keep us all advised.

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #404 on: July 01, 2017, 03:43:06 AM
So, how many multis out of the Leatherman lineup can do that? Out of how many in the total lineup ever? Why do you think knives got that treatment, but screw drivers and can openers don't (but for rare occasion)?

My guess is that Leatherman decided that certain tools such as the knives (and scissors, saw/file on the Surge) would be the most handy to access with one hand where perhaps your other hand is busy holding something.

Also to me it is more about being able to access the most-used tools more easily rather than whether it is with one hand or two.

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #405 on: July 01, 2017, 03:44:46 AM
Always drop Leatherman an email and ask them if they would send out one :shrug:  Worse they can say is to send it to them :tu: I don't know if I have ever really heard anyone talk about losing one of these though :think:

Poncho and everyone

Sent an email to Leatherman customer service yesterday evening, describing the issue briefly. Shellee from Leatherman emailed me back this afternoon and asked for my physical address to send a new spring out. She said it is rare they  send a part out directly but  this is one of those types of occasions.

I gave my address, thanked her, and hit her up for some decals while I was at it. Unfortunately no decals left but she promised my spring would be mailed out before the long holiday.

Will let you know when it arrives and if it puts back together right. Thanks

hk Offline aurabattler

Reply #406 on: July 01, 2017, 08:18:58 PM
In my experience,  OHO blade on a MT is not a "nice to have" feature but a choice of feature. You pay to have this feature. You pay for the extra cash and weight for this feature. So,  I do think one should consider how he use the tool to decide whether he need the OHO blade or not. I personally don't prefer OHO blade on MT but this is only for my experience. YMMV.

I don't know how to describe but the following situation happened to me too many times which holds me back from carrying the Surge even if I need somehting bigger.

It happened many times when I was setting up some signal and power cables.  I was handling some cables,  some wires,  some zip ties, some duct tape,  some paper and some rope.  You may imagine the situation that I was using the pliers and knife simultaneously. If I am having the Skeletool or Surge with me, what I have to do is close the pliers and open the blades handsomely with one hand,  use the blade,  close it with one hand and the re-engage the pliers. The Skeletool is better as the blade is still accessible with the pliers on. If I only need a quick cut, it can make it but for the Surge, every time I have to open and close and open and close non stop as the knives are all locked when the pliers are engaged. In this situation,  the rebar or even the spirit can be more convenient as I can use the knife without closing the pliers... Yes,  I always have a folder with me for the cutting tasks but I always want to complete the job without pulling out too many tools. If this can be done by a MT,  I want to finish with it. There are always dedicated tools out there but that's not what an MT for.  And it is awkward when the convenient feature becomes a pain.

You may not use your tool in the same style and situation as me thus you may disagree but this is my experience and my story. YMMV.  :cheers:
« Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 08:23:01 PM by aurabattler »

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #407 on: July 03, 2017, 04:41:47 AM
AURABATTLER

You might find it interesting to know...if you open the plyers half way, you can still engage the knife. Then, finish opening the players and then open the knife to lock. That should leave your knife locked open, with your plyers open. A little scary to use, but it can work

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #408 on: July 03, 2017, 04:45:59 AM
Three American Classics. Four if you count me. I took the pics after replacing the coolant pump on the '99 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0
CAM000331.jpg
* CAM000331.jpg (Filesize: 90.46 KB)
CAM000411.jpg
* CAM000411.jpg (Filesize: 100.85 KB)

au Offline T.Sawyer

Reply #409 on: July 04, 2017, 01:51:06 PM
Such a capable tool. Rarely fails for me at work

Tom

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #410 on: July 04, 2017, 05:06:46 PM
Great pic, Sawyer. Advertisement quality.
I've done some work on cars, and other stuff, by am by no means a mechanic per se...pardon my ignorance, but what are those devices in the backdrop?

au Offline T.Sawyer

Reply #411 on: July 04, 2017, 09:45:16 PM
I've done some work on cars, and other stuff, by am by no means a mechanic per se...pardon my ignorance, but what are those devices in the backdrop?
Cheers thundah. They are polymeric insulators. They are used for powerlines to insulate conductors from each other or when the cable terminates at a power pole to insulate the conductor from the structure.
Tom

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #412 on: July 04, 2017, 11:45:04 PM
Nice pic TS.  :tu:

au Offline T.Sawyer

Reply #413 on: July 06, 2017, 09:54:35 AM
Go Surge

Tom

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #414 on: July 06, 2017, 11:55:51 AM
More great pics TS :like: :like:

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #415 on: July 06, 2017, 11:58:40 AM
It's a Power Surge!

au Offline T.Sawyer

Reply #416 on: July 06, 2017, 01:25:48 PM
Haha cheers. Power Surge is a rad name Syncop8r

Tom

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #417 on: July 09, 2017, 12:42:36 AM
It's a Power Surge!

Will Syncop8 be here all zee week?
Should we tip our waitress?

Love it Sync. That's my kind of stuff. I am the king of the "groaner" puns at work, so I really appreciate that. May I use it?

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #418 on: July 09, 2017, 12:45:57 AM
Cheers thundah. They are polymeric insulators. They are used for powerlines to insulate conductors from each other or when the cable terminates at a power pole to insulate the conductor from the structure.

Thank you for that TSawyer. Did not know they clamped on that way. So, instead of the old blue glass and white ceramic like in your last post...so are these some sort of plastic? Temporary clamp-ons?

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #419 on: July 09, 2017, 01:06:08 AM

Poncho and everyone

Sent an email to Leatherman customer service yesterday evening, describing the issue briefly. Shellee from Leatherman emailed me back this afternoon and asked for my physical address to send a new spring out. She said it is rare they  send a part out directly but  this is one of those types of occasions.

I gave my address, thanked her, and hit her up for some decals while I was at it. Unfortunately no decals left but she promised my spring would be mailed out before the long holiday.

Will let you know when it arrives and if it puts back together right. Thanks

To all interested parties...Shellee from Leatherman came through for me. I just received and tested the Surge replacement spring and bit.

The postage on the package was dated the 30th June. Date of my last post about this. She sent it right out and accounting for the Independence Day long weekend, it arrived here today, 8 July. I was anxious, but that's really perfect given it went regular mail. Package included three bit retention springs and a PZ3/R1 double sided bit.

Although I really am liking the Surge a lot, the fact that I used my PST ll to fix the Surge - well that's saying something.

The spring went in using the PST ll smallest screwdriver as a push, as did the PZ3/ R1 bit. I was able to lift the Surge and hold it aloft indefinitely by the bit alone. That made me happy.

So, my thanks to Leatherman, and specifically to Shelled over there. Great tools and customer service. I have sent her a nice email that I hope her supervisor and Mr. Leatherman both see.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 01:10:34 AM by ThundahBeagle »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $149.46
PayPal Fees: $8.74
Net Balance: $140.72
Below Goal: $159.28
Site Currency: USD