Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Surge Owners Club

england Offline Kev D

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Surge Owners Club
Reply #480 on: July 23, 2017, 05:16:07 PM
Congrats Steve  :tu:

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #481 on: July 23, 2017, 05:32:39 PM
So how do you like the Surge Steve?
Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #482 on: July 23, 2017, 05:47:23 PM
I like it a lot Nate    :tu:

It's definitely a solid tool and everything on mine opens smoothly and easy. The pliers are a little stiff but this thing is in unused condition so I'm sure it will loosen up some with use.

:cheers:

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #483 on: July 23, 2017, 08:11:11 PM
I like it a lot Nate    :tu:

It's definitely a solid tool and everything on mine opens smoothly and easy. The pliers are a little stiff but this thing is in unused condition so I'm sure it will loosen up some with use.

:cheers:
Good deal Steve. I hope it serves you as well as mine has.
Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #484 on: July 29, 2017, 06:13:24 AM
Congrats Steve!

I didn't think I was going to like the outside blade type LMs, but the old Surge has really grown on me. I think it will you, too

us Offline sergemaster

• No Life Club
Reply #485 on: August 29, 2017, 07:37:21 PM
Amici,
Consider me a also a member, and officially since 2009..

Cheers,
Serge
Surge.jpg.jpeg
* Surge.jpg.jpeg (Filesize: 222.94 KB)
'I will NOT be threatened by a walking Meatloaf!!' - D. Kessler

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #486 on: August 29, 2017, 09:41:47 PM
Amici,
Consider me a also a member, and officially since 2009..

Cheers,
Serge

Nice serge :like: welcome to the club :salute: Love that sheath as well :tu: :like:

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #487 on: August 30, 2017, 04:33:35 PM
Nice Surge, Serge! And yes again on that sheath. I would love one of that quality but without the side slot

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #488 on: August 30, 2017, 04:41:32 PM
What the hell did I do?

I *may* have dropped my Surge the other day, and now the saw rests at an odd, upward angle, instead of level with the scale. So the nail Nick at the end of the saw slants upwards, while the nub at the base of the exchanger seems to sit properly against the bottom rail. There appears to be no obstruction in the slot where the saw rests...

Any thoughts? Mods please let me know if this should be a separate topic, but I thought the Surge club would be full of Surge-ical folks who might know.

Please and thank you in advance for any advice
IMG_0587.JPG
* IMG_0587.JPG (Filesize: 93.59 KB)

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #489 on: August 30, 2017, 05:21:16 PM
Was the saw out when you dropped it. I kinda looks like it is slightly bent. It could just be the pic.
Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #490 on: August 30, 2017, 06:15:16 PM
Is it seated in the holder correctly ?

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #491 on: August 30, 2017, 06:26:48 PM
The back of the saw does seem to be on a rising incline from handle to toe, with the toe seeming raised. It seems to sit in the blade exchanger as it should, with the typical wiggle of the older Surge exchanger.

I put the file in - nice. The back, while not necessarily LEVEL with the scale handle ancestral, at least was parallel with it.

Checking against a friend's Surge...his saw remains below profile of the surface near the lock release.

Is everyone else's parallel rather than having the toe rise?

us Offline sergemaster

• No Life Club
Reply #492 on: August 30, 2017, 07:40:09 PM
Amici,
Thanks for the thumbs up on the sheath..  :like:

Believe it or not, it's not a custom job, it's a factory. And it's offered directly from Maglite..

It fits the Surge and ST 300 perfectly, as well as the Swiss-tool. It's not really a good carry method for the Wave, Charge, or any of the mid sized tools. If you do, you will struggle a bit to remove it, especially in a pinch. Reason being, is that the pouch dimensions are better suited for the larger tools. 

The cost, I paid about $21.00 USD with shipping for it. In retrospect after using it for a few days, I feel it was definitely well worth it.. Especially if you like to utilize a M.M. in tandem along with your large sized MT as I occasionally do. Especially when your MM pushes out a nice 272 lumens.

Overall construction is pretty good. The leather is supple, not at all thin, and yet not too thick. The fit and finish if the leather is also quite decent. I noticed that the pouch was breaking in nicely just after a few hours of regular use. It is made of 100% cowhide and right here in the US of A which for a production pouch/sheath I found to be a nice change from the foul smelling sheaths produced south of the border I have encountered lately. The stitching is made with nylon thread. I used a quick pass with some fire to weld any Irish pendants that were visibly present. No need to, but it's a habit I picked up from countless uniform inspections during my time in the service. Along with a quick rub of Huberds shoe grease for protection from the elements while I'm outdoors when in the field.

To make it better, the sheath also has two snaps on the back of the belt loop as so to make it removable from your belt at any given time. If your looking for a good large MT/MM carry combo, I recommend it..

Cheers,
Serge   

« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 09:09:46 PM by sergemaster »

nz Offline Syncop8r

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #493 on: August 30, 2017, 11:18:59 PM
SURGEmaster  ;)

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #494 on: August 31, 2017, 12:52:05 AM
I will have to check that sheath out :salute: :like:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #495 on: August 31, 2017, 12:55:14 AM
Dropping it may have knocked something out of alignment with the saw :think: Because looking at mine the saw sits in there without curling up ???

Hopefully you can get this sorted :salute:

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #496 on: August 31, 2017, 05:32:11 AM
Amici,
Thanks for the thumbs up on the sheath..  :like:

Believe it or not, it's not a custom job, it's a factory. And it's offered directly from Maglite..

It fits the Surge and ST 300 perfectly, as well as the Swiss-tool. It's not really a good carry method for the Wave, Charge, or any of the mid sized tools. If you do, you will struggle a bit to remove it, especially in a pinch. Reason being, is that the pouch dimensions are better suited for the larger tools. 

The cost, I paid about $21.00 USD with shipping for it. In retrospect after using it for a few days, I feel it was definitely well worth it.. Especially if you like to utilize a M.M. in tandem along with your large sized MT as I occasionally do. Especially when your MM pushes out a nice 272 lumens.

Overall construction is pretty good. The leather is supple, not at all thin, and yet not too thick. The fit and finish if the leather is also quite decent. I noticed that the pouch was breaking in nicely just after a few hours of regular use. It is made of 100% cowhide and right here in the US of A which for a production pouch/sheath I found to be a nice change from the foul smelling sheaths produced south of the border I have encountered lately. The stitching is made with nylon thread. I used a quick pass with some fire to weld any Irish pendants that were visibly present. No need to, but it's a habit I picked up from countless uniform inspections during my time in the service. Along with a quick rub of Huberds shoe grease for protection from the elements while I'm outdoors when in the field.

To make it better, the sheath also has two snaps on the back of the belt loop as so to make it removable from your belt at any given time. If your looking for a good large MT/MM carry combo, I recommend it..

Cheers,
Serge
Thanks for the info! I carry either a large tool and a 272Lumen 2xAA mag or a medium tool with a 111Lumen 2xAAA. The smaller MT with mag brand 2xAAA 111Lumen LED pouch (ordered separately ) is fine size-wise, but the bigger mag and large tool with separate belt holders is cumbersome, so I will be ordering a case like yours very soon!
The Swisstool challenge is over tomorrow and I would like to try that style belt holder out with my Surge and 272Lumen Mag. Both tool and light are top of their game. IMO And when I use the SwissTool, it is cool it will fit too!
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline sergemaster

• No Life Club
Reply #497 on: August 31, 2017, 03:34:59 PM
Amici,
Here are some additional shots of the combo sheath from Maglite or your viewing pleasure. Today we have the 300 standing in for the Surge, so my apologies to any thread purists that may be floating about, ready to burn me for heresy at the MT stake!!  :facepalm:

Cheers,
Serge
Sheath 1.jpg.jpeg
* Sheath 1.jpg.jpeg (Filesize: 262.18 KB)
sheath 2.jpg.jpeg
* sheath 2.jpg.jpeg (Filesize: 240.81 KB)
Sheath 3.jpg.jpeg
* Sheath 3.jpg.jpeg (Filesize: 244.86 KB)
Sheath 4.jpg.jpeg
* Sheath 4.jpg.jpeg (Filesize: 164.16 KB)
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 03:36:14 PM by sergemaster »

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #498 on: August 31, 2017, 08:01:15 PM
Thank you, serge!
Looks awesome with the "surge"( :D) in it with the maglite.
I found them on amazon for $27. Seems like a good deal to me!
I see you store your MT locks down. I store mine locks up, so the break in will be easier for me I believe. I like the construction too!
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #499 on: August 31, 2017, 08:52:16 PM
That is a very nice looking sheath :like: :like: Love the quality of the construction :cheers: :tu: Thanks for all the extra pics of it :tu: :like:

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #500 on: September 01, 2017, 08:59:10 AM
That is a very nice looking sheath :like: :like: Love the quality of the construction :cheers: :tu: Thanks for all the extra pics of it :tu: :like:
+1!
One question though - how does it hold up in practice e.g. when sitting in a car - is it in the way?
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

us Offline sergemaster

• No Life Club
Reply #501 on: September 01, 2017, 09:15:08 PM

Dutch_Tooler wrote:

One question though - how does it hold up in practice e.g. when sitting in a car - is it in the way?

Amici,
For me, I really haven't experienced any real issues. But then again, just remember that this pouch utilizes a snap closure method. So if you do experience any issue as you mentioned, simply undo the snaps and remove the pouch when entering a vehicle or any other type situation.  When on the job or off the clock, I simply just unsnap from my belt, and toss to the side until the next time.. It's just that simple.  :tu: :tu: :tu:

Cheers,
Serge   

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #502 on: September 07, 2017, 06:31:00 PM

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #503 on: September 07, 2017, 07:50:54 PM
 :like: :tu:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #505 on: September 08, 2017, 05:25:34 PM

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #506 on: September 09, 2017, 04:34:59 PM
0909170816a~2 by Poncho 65, on Flickr

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #507 on: September 10, 2017, 06:02:24 AM
That pliar head is one of LMs best. IMO
The same plair style is on my Core and in some ways is easier to use than the new style with 154cm replaceable cutters. Great photos and I really like the blue in the recesses on your newer one! I may need to get some enamel paint and get my Surge looking cool too. :multi:
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 06:03:53 AM by gerleatherberman »

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #508 on: September 10, 2017, 07:42:32 AM
Anyone have a Surge they can trade. I NEED one!!!
I'm the milk man!

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #509 on: September 10, 2017, 04:13:27 PM
That pliar head is one of LMs best. IMO
The same plair style is on my Core and in some ways is easier to use than the new style with 154cm replaceable cutters. Great photos and I really like the blue in the recesses on your newer one! I may need to get some enamel paint and get my Surge looking cool too. :multi:

Thanks :cheers: Yes the plier head of the Surge/Core is a very great one indeed :like: The blue was accomplished with a blue Sharpie :D Just color it in like a 2 year old and then let it dry a few seconds then wipe if off and the recesses will stay blue :tu:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $149.46
PayPal Fees: $8.74
Net Balance: $140.72
Below Goal: $159.28
Site Currency: USD
47%