Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Surge Owners Club

ca Offline Landrew

• Not yer typical toothless abductee
Re: Surge Owners Club
Reply #90 on: January 30, 2013, 08:49:16 PM
Well - not according to this:

[or title: SHOT show 2013: Leatherman]

WOW.  I wish I *had* dreamt it.  People were using the bit drivers as a pry-bar?!?!  Say what? ???

Aye carumba...

One can only hope that the video contains now-outdated info.  Because that's a fool move if there ever was one.  Improve, yes.  However, if it's not broken, eh?
Never underestimate...
Yes, I can believe someone using the eyeglass driver as a prybar.  Unfortunately, yes.

00 Offline Kukamunga

• drool, *drool* for cool multitoolz
Reply #91 on: January 30, 2013, 10:09:51 PM

Never underestimate...
Yes, I can believe someone using the eyeglass driver as a prybar.  Unfortunately, yes.

I thank you and bmot, for I now realize what you both are talking about.  I watched the vid again and now see WHICH part of the tool JULI is showing; I thought it was the larger bit driver...no matter what you people was sayin'.

Forgive me; if only I were a bit more Holmesian in my dailies.

Still - that makes even less sense; people are actually using that wisp of a driver as a pry tool.  Truly WTF.  And on that note.
...nothing in his pockets but knives and lint...

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #92 on: January 30, 2013, 11:54:04 PM
Well - not according to this:

[or title: SHOT show 2013: Leatherman]

WOW.  I wish I *had* dreamt it.  People were using the bit drivers as a pry-bar?!?!  Say what????

Aye carumba...

One can only hope that the video contains now-outdated info.  Because that's a fool move if there ever was one.  Improve, yes.  However, if it's not broken, eh?

I have to say that I was half expecting them to retire the Surge soon, but the changes they're making make perfect sense. That little bit driver makes sense on the smaller tools but manipulating something that precise with such a big frame always seemed a bit nut and sledge hammer to me.

The t-shank holder amendment is long overdue and adds a ton of utility, but most of all they've turned it into a proper heavy duty tool I reckon. By that I mean that I informally categorise my tools into two groups:

1) Smaller pocketable tools for precision jobs (maybe Wave, Charge, etc) where you have a wide range of utility and options;

2) Bigger, heavy duty tools where you can knock seven shades of smurf out of stuff without worrying about bits snapping or bending Core, ST300 etc.

The Surge always had a few too many things from category 1 in it to be a serious category 2 contender, which is why I've always favoured the Core and then the ST300 for "proper" jobs.

I'm determined not to buy any more tools until I've decided what I'm doing collection wise, but I might be tempted to trade something for a new Surge when they appear and give it another go.

Those folding scissor things looked cool too.
I used to come here a lot.

ca Offline Landrew

• Not yer typical toothless abductee
Reply #93 on: January 31, 2013, 12:02:39 AM
Glad they didn't dump the eyeglass bit driver from the Charge also. There are few surprises more unwelcome than having your eyeglasses fall apart when you're hiking in the bush. I will hang on to my current Surge with the tiny bit driver, but I wish they would have upgraded something else instead of just putting in a small blade screwdriver; I mean it already has a full set of interchangeable bits, two full sets in fact.   I would have rather seen something like a small side-cutter for cutting zip-ties.

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #94 on: January 31, 2013, 12:07:22 AM
Well, when I used to frequent this place, I didn't wear glasses, but now I do so I have a new appreciation of that little thing!

I like having it on my Charge, I seemed to find enough uses even when two eyes were sufficient though!
I used to come here a lot.

us Offline Outback in Idaho

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Not all those who wander are lost.
Reply #95 on: February 02, 2013, 02:35:09 AM
New 2013 Surge (scanned & cropped) in the Leatherman catalog.
SCAN0019.JPG
* SCAN0019.JPG (Filesize: 247.57 KB)
¬ Outback in Idaho

Behind every mask there is a face, behind that a story.

us Offline Multiple Personality

Reply #96 on: February 02, 2013, 05:36:46 AM
I would like to have the new plier head with the replaceable wire cutters.  I've been using the blade exchanger with DeWalt t-shank jig saw blades for years with no problems.  I'm not crazy about the change of the small eyeglass screwdrivers for a fixed small screwdriver.  I like my small eyeglass screwdriver very much and I use it a lot.  I'm not crazy about the changes, I think I will keep my original Surge.

us Offline baja820

Reply #97 on: February 02, 2013, 05:43:59 AM
 Swap out the pliers with st300 jaws. Problem solved!

God made man but Samuel Colt made them equal.

us Offline Outback in Idaho

• Not all those who wander are lost.
Reply #98 on: February 02, 2013, 05:48:02 AM
I would like to have the new plier head with the replaceable wire cutters.  I've been using the blade exchanger with DeWalt t-shank jig saw blades for years with no problems.  I'm not crazy about the change of the small eyeglass screwdrivers for a fixed small screwdriver.  I like my small eyeglass screwdriver very much and I use it a lot.  I'm not crazy about the changes, I think I will keep my original Surge.

Someone told me they removed the mini-screwdriver from the Vic corkscrew plastic twist holder and inserted a Leatherman eyeglass driver into there. If I recall, it was a tight fit & required pliers to swap sides. But you'd need a place to put a twisty if you don't have a Vic.

Don't have a spare corkscrew twisty tool to try it with myself.
¬ Outback in Idaho

Behind every mask there is a face, behind that a story.

us Offline Multiple Personality

Reply #99 on: February 02, 2013, 05:48:30 AM
Yeah but I have to buy a ST300 to do that.

us Offline baja820

Reply #100 on: February 02, 2013, 06:05:23 PM

Its only sixty bucks...  :D

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #101 on: February 02, 2013, 06:10:30 PM

Its only sixty bucks...  :D

And that is how we celebrate the need/excuse for another tool :cheers:
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

us Offline baja820

Reply #102 on: February 02, 2013, 06:31:37 PM
Yeah... I just used the calculator on my phone to add up how much I've spent on my multi tools....

Roughly $700 :whistle: :oops:

PST- gift
Super tool- $15 used
Original wave-$65
New wave-$70
Surge-$80
Juice KF4-$75
Juice S2-$45
Sidekick-$30
Sidekick-$30
Wingman$30
Rebar-$50
Supertool300-$65
Sog power pliers-$60
Sog small pliers-$20
Sog small pliers-$20
Squirt P4-$30
MUT-$110

That's all I can think of right now......
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 06:33:34 PM by baja820 »

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #103 on: February 03, 2013, 01:05:16 AM
Oopsy...  that can happen :D
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #104 on: February 03, 2013, 02:50:51 PM
I'm glad I read the bit about them dropping the mini bit driver in favor of a medium flat head. I don't get it, since the large bit driver already has one?

They should've put the wonderful little package opener from the Wingman in that slot, if anything.

Also, if the regular wire cutter is strong enough to cut a coat hanger without denting, why do we need a replaceable one? Just in case we're feeling stupid and try to cut something exotic?

Another topic: How are you guys carrying the 40 bit set and large driver extension? Is there a way to do it on the stock pouch? Carrying them separately? Bought a different pouch? I saw on Amazon that NiteIze makes a bigger pouch that will carry all of this stuff.

One neat surprise about the bit extension is that it will not only take the proprietary thin Leatherman bits, but also PROPER 1/4" hex ones! This makes a versatile tool even more versatile.

Side note, I noticed the black coating on the bits is just a coating. I thought at first it might be a sign of hardening, but I guess not. Have to go with a proper hex bit in the extension for that. ;)
-Jeremy
"Well begun is half done."
-Aristotle

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #105 on: February 03, 2013, 03:12:08 PM
Well I can join thanks too Barry  :tu: pics soon but surge has had a rub down and now soaking in a oily bath  :D he has a hard week ahead of him  ;)

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #106 on: February 03, 2013, 04:00:48 PM
Well all washed and oiled for starting on the maintenance job again Monday  :tu:
IMG_00000072.jpg
* IMG_00000072.jpg (Filesize: 138.83 KB)

us Offline carlb

Reply #107 on: February 17, 2013, 08:40:06 PM
Got a new surge on a trade today.

NOTErized!

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #108 on: February 21, 2013, 08:21:38 AM
I might join shortly. Well, I will join eventually. I've been wanting a Leatherman since 1986 and never touched one with my hands yet. Victorinox fulfilled all my needs up to now. But that is going to change, we won't live forever!

us Offline baja820

Reply #109 on: February 21, 2013, 07:24:31 PM
Do it!!!! :D

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #110 on: February 21, 2013, 08:49:18 PM
It depends on the seller too.  :whistle:

us Offline carlb

Reply #111 on: February 22, 2013, 03:47:57 AM
I might join shortly. Well, I will join eventually. I've been wanting a Leatherman since 1986 and never touched one with my hands yet. Victorinox fulfilled all my needs up to now. But that is going to change, we won't live forever!
1986?!  That's getting close to 30 years. After you get one I'm sure you'll be regretting the last 27 years. I've been carrying a Leatherman for about 20 years and use it several times daily. I'd be lost without it. I almost want to send you one of mine to show you what you've been missing for all these years. Almost.

NOTErized!

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #112 on: February 22, 2013, 12:14:26 PM
I ordered one and I'll join the Club soon.
Yes, it was 1986 when my Greek/German/American cousin was serving in the US Army in the (then) West Germany and visited his other homeland for the summer, while I was giving exams for entrance to the medical school. He brought a catalogue from the US army shop and it was the first time that I encountered the Leatherman (Gerber and Buck too). I had 100$ to spend and I asked him for a Swisschamp. Victorinox tools served me well since, I can't complain. But I never got a Leatherman since it costs 150€ here, three times the US price, and one can get a Swisschamp for 65€ or a full Toolchest of decent quality for 30€.
But you can't access these matters just with strict financial terms, there is always the sentiment of a child that craves a shinny toy and one shouldn't suppress these wishes for ever. Yes, it is time to have my Leatherman. I don't want to collect them all, so I should get one that would satisfy for a long time. I believe this will be the Surge and I hope  I am right. I will always have my faithfull SAKs for lighter duties, so I decided to go for the heavyweight one.

us Offline carlb

Reply #113 on: February 22, 2013, 01:45:17 PM
I ordered one and I'll join the Club soon.
Yes, it was 1986 when my Greek/German/American cousin was serving in the US Army in the (then) West Germany and visited his other homeland for the summer, while I was giving exams for entrance to the medical school. He brought a catalogue from the US army shop and it was the first time that I encountered the Leatherman (Gerber and Buck too). I had 100$ to spend and I asked him for a Swisschamp. Victorinox tools served me well since, I can't complain. But I never got a Leatherman since it costs 150€ here, three times the US price, and one can get a Swisschamp for 65€ or a full Toolchest of decent quality for 30€.
But you can't access these matters just with strict financial terms, there is always the sentiment of a child that craves a shinny toy and one shouldn't suppress these wishes for ever. Yes, it is time to have my Leatherman. I don't want to collect them all, so I should get one that would satisfy for a long time. I believe this will be the Surge and I hope  I am right. I will always have my faithfull SAKs for lighter duties, so I decided to go for the heavyweight one.
the surge is nice. You'll like it.

NOTErized!

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #114 on: March 02, 2013, 02:12:22 PM
Still waiting and try to warm up reading about it. But the Surge Club is poor relatively to the Wave and Charge and the others. Come on boys, please feed my greed!

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #115 on: March 02, 2013, 03:15:39 PM
Is a "Surge 300" (Surge with the plier head from a Supertool 300 with replaceable cutters) eligible for membership in this slightly exclusive club ?  If not I have a stock standard one as well, so I guess I'm in.

I like the hefty feel of the Surge, and they also give a secure grip on the LM Universal bit holder for heavy duty screw-drivering etc

One Surge each in my van and my car, along with a partner-in-crime-Crunch (for when you want to hold two things at once).
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

nl Offline bmot

• No Life Club
  • Don't judge a tool by it's brand
Reply #116 on: March 02, 2013, 05:03:39 PM

Is a "Surge 300" (Surge with the plier head from a Supertool 300 with replaceable cutters) eligible for membership in this slightly exclusive club ?  If not I have a stock standard one as well, so I guess I'm in.

I'd say it does, as LM's gonna make them themselves ;)
A knife-carrying guide for the international traveller. : http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,47532.0.html

us Offline baja820

Reply #117 on: March 02, 2013, 05:08:18 PM

I like the hefty feel of the Surge, and they also give a secure grip on the LM Universal bit holder for heavy duty screw-drivering etc

One Surge each in my van and my car, along with a partner-in-crime-Crunch (for when you want to hold two things at once).

Maybe we should start our own club :whistle:

Offline cibui

Reply #118 on: March 04, 2013, 06:19:53 PM
Hi guys, i think i'm eligible to join hehehe.... Surge BO owner here.... Got it off ebay sometime last month

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leatherman Juice XE6 / Leatherman Surge BO / Leatherman Super Tool 300 EOD BO / Leatherman Wingman

Brunei Darussalam

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #119 on: March 04, 2013, 06:55:46 PM

Maybe we should start our own club :whistle:
(Image removed from quote.)

Although so will everyone else once the new surge comes out  :D  :tu:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31