Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The Hawk.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
The Hawk.
on: August 20, 2010, 04:50:43 PM
I was doing my usual cruising eBay to see what might catch my eye, when I spotted something similar to the Flip Grip that Dennis sold me a little while back. Intrigued, and due to the low price, I went for it. I am happy that I did.

The Hawk would appear to be a knock off of the Flip Grip design. Either it is a knock off, or they purchased the rights to use the patent. There is irony in that someone would knock off a fairly cheap MT to begin with.

Much like the Flip Grip, the Hawk also features a dual pliers head design where the handles just flip around. This means of course that these types of multi-tools are bulky because they don’t fold up like more traditional designs.

Unlike the Flip Grip which has a weird sliding plate that sort of cambers out and holds the pliers together, the Hawk went with a simple rotating latch.

The Hawk is a decidedly low budget tool. It does feature nice wooden handles, but that is all the luxury you are going to get out of this one. The folding tools are very cheap, even by cheap standards. The Phillips is weak and badly shaped, the LED light rattles away in its handle which it occupies completely by itself. The knife is sharp, but what is up with that short fish scaler and hook disgorger? On top of all that, none of the tools lock, and the back tab that keeps the tools in place when deployed is weak.

How does this compare with the Flip Grip you may be asking yourself? Not very well. The Flip Grip has plenty of good stuff going for it. Size, build quality, reassuring weight, better tools, etc. The Hawk does have those wooden handles…and I do like timber on my handles. It is a feature I would like to see more quality producers of multi-tools adopt.  Oh, did I forget to mention that the Hawk is smaller than the Flip Grip?

Overall, the Hawk is not completely bad, it does have a redeeming feature…honest! If you like the Flip Grip idea (from what I know, few did) in a smaller package, this could be the cheap still to big to carry comfortably on a belt tool for you. Hey at least it has fetching wooden handles.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 04:52:26 PM by Chako »
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24