Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Coppers using Gerbers?

Offline cryptrick

Coppers using Gerbers?
on: September 09, 2007, 01:02:22 PM
While flicking through the TV channels the other night (avoiding the 587 Quiz TV shows that are on British TV every night) there was this Crimefighters/Police show on :police:. The copper had just arrested this druggie who had just got his fix. The copper then picked up the foil with some pliers. The camera luckily then zoomed in and he was using a Gerber. I think it was an MP400 but could have been the 600. Does anybody know if the police are issued with these, or would it have just been the copper who bought one?
[

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Re: Coppers using Gerbers?
Reply #1 on: September 09, 2007, 01:19:51 PM
While flicking through the TV channels the other night (avoiding the 587 Quiz TV shows that are on British TV every night) there was this Crimefighters/Police show on :police:. The copper had just arrested this druggie who had just got his fix. The copper then picked up the foil with some pliers. The camera luckily then zoomed in and he was using a Gerber. I think it was an MP400 but could have been the 600. Does anybody know if the police are issued with these, or would it have just been the copper who bought one?
I've seen a lot of copper's using multi's but I doubt there issue item's, otherwise they could'nt afford toys like impretza's and fireblade's ;D

Jock's a copper so maybe he'll come along and give us an official answer  :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #2 on: September 09, 2007, 06:01:13 PM
The cops who carry them around here have purchased them on their own, which I think is a mark of an intelligent officer!  When I managed security companies, the best opportunities were given to the guards who carried SAKs or multis because they were obviously the guys who were willing and equipped to deal with issues.  I was tempted to lobby the owners of the company to issue a tool as part of the uniform, but decided then I'd have to work a little harder to find the standouts if everyone carried one!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Reply #3 on: September 09, 2007, 09:34:25 PM
The cops who carry them around here have purchased them on their own, which I think is a mark of an intelligent officer!  When I managed security companies, the best opportunities were given to the guards who carried SAKs or multis because they were obviously the guys who were willing and equipped to deal with issues.  I was tempted to lobby the owners of the company to issue a tool as part of the uniform, but decided then I'd have to work a little harder to find the standouts if everyone carried one!

Def
Have you ever thought about starting your own security firm?

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: September 09, 2007, 09:57:10 PM
Yup- problem is funding. 

Imagine you have one contract that needs 24/7 coverage.  That's 168 hours in a week.  You work 40 hours of that so you are paying out 128 hours to guards.  Now, assuming you want decent, trained people, you need to pay a minimum of $9/hour (here anyway).  That's 128 x $9/hour which works out to $1,152/week, not counting all the benefits, taxes etc that you have to pay as an employer.  Pays are usually bi-weekly here, so that's $2,304 per pay period.

Now, you start on September 1st, which means you don't bill until October 1st, which means that you have now had to shoulder two pay periods, or just under $5,000 before you can even send in a bill.  Most companies won't pay that bill when they get it, they'll tally it up with the rest of October's expenses (since that's when they get billed) and they'll send payment by the first of November... by which point you have now taken on four pay periods out of pocket and are now $10,000 in the hole, plus you have been working two months pretty well for free, because that $10,000 doesn't include paying your gas, rent, groceries etc.

I'm hoping to start a patrol/response service sometime in the next year, possibly do some investigation/surveillance work and maybe grow a security company from that.  But, I need a new car first.  Bright red Sunfires aren't the best for covert activity.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Reply #5 on: September 09, 2007, 10:04:07 PM
Yup- problem is funding. 

Imagine you have one contract that needs 24/7 coverage.  That's 168 hours in a week.  You work 40 hours of that so you are paying out 128 hours to guards.  Now, assuming you want decent, trained people, you need to pay a minimum of $9/hour (here anyway).  That's 128 x $9/hour which works out to $1,152/week, not counting all the benefits, taxes etc that you have to pay as an employer.  Pays are usually bi-weekly here, so that's $2,304 per pay period.

Now, you start on September 1st, which means you don't bill until October 1st, which means that you have now had to shoulder two pay periods, or just under $5,000 before you can even send in a bill.  Most companies won't pay that bill when they get it, they'll tally it up with the rest of October's expenses (since that's when they get billed) and they'll send payment by the first of November... by which point you have now taken on four pay periods out of pocket and are now $10,000 in the hole, plus you have been working two months pretty well for free, because that $10,000 doesn't include paying your gas, rent, groceries etc.

I'm hoping to start a patrol/response service sometime in the next year, possibly do some investigation/surveillance work and maybe grow a security company from that.  But, I need a new car first.  Bright red Sunfires aren't the best for covert activity.

Def
Bloody hell that's a lot of dosh to shell out :o, I figuered you'd have probably considered the idea before,
But investigation work, that would probably be Ok, I would imagine that's do-able as a one man show ???

But lose the idea of a car you can cover distance and never lose people on a bike ;D

* cbr1000rr_titelbild.jpg (Filesize: 50.19 KB)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: September 09, 2007, 10:19:15 PM
Maybe, but there's also the problem of trying to look casual sitting on the bike in front of a building for several hours in the middle of winter....   :pok:

Def

Reply #7 on: September 09, 2007, 10:26:02 PM
Maybe, but there's also the problem of trying to look casual sitting on the bike in front of a building for several hours in the middle of winter....   :pok:

Def
OK Scoobie van then :P

Seriously though would'nt you be better served by a used midrange car, rather than a new one?

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: September 09, 2007, 10:36:13 PM
I meant new to me- I couldn't afford a new car.  Ideally I am looking for a Jeep Cherokee type truck (preferably) or even a minivan to allow for space.  These kinds of things are pretty common nowadays, and I prefer the SUV for the 4x4 option- always nice to have options, even if you never use them.

I figure anything 5-10 years old would be just about perfect, and fortunately reasonably affordable. 

Of course for patrol/response I am seriously looking at this one.  Imagine a company logo on the door of this bugger, and maybe a Vector bar on the top.

It's only a 6 cylinder so may not be too bad on gas, is able to operate in any and all weather conditions (joining my local Severe Weather Assistance Team will allow me to be on the roads when other companies are grounded) and has enough of what we call "Visible Credibility" or respectability to allow me to be taken seriously.  Plus, a six inch lift and push bar makes sure that your logo (and phone number!) are seen no matter where you go!

Def

* Jeep01.JPG (Filesize: 37.23 KB)

Reply #9 on: September 09, 2007, 10:40:32 PM
$4k that pretty good if you ask me :)

It'd be more like $7k over here for that!

Mind you no one would buy it seeing as we pay almost the equivalent of 2 dollar's per litre over here :o

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: September 09, 2007, 10:44:56 PM
Gas is between a dollar and $1.10/litre here.  Instant nostalgia- when I got my first car I wouldn't fill up if it was any more than $.48 and our dollar was only worth about $.66US then!

Def

Reply #11 on: September 09, 2007, 10:50:31 PM
Gas is between a dollar and $1.10/litre here.  Instant nostalgia- when I got my first car I wouldn't fill up if it was any more than $.48 and our dollar was only worth about $.66US then!

Def
Here in blighty it was 67 pence per litre when I started riding and it's now 98pence!!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: September 09, 2007, 10:52:43 PM
That's crazy... We'd burn down our own Parliament buildings before we let it get to that price!

Just for the record, here's my first car:

I had a different spoiler on the back, but same color/model.

Def

Reply #13 on: September 09, 2007, 10:55:06 PM
Did it have a row of flashing red light's at the front? ;D

Reply #14 on: September 09, 2007, 10:56:46 PM
Here's my first set of demon wheel's

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #15 on: September 09, 2007, 10:57:38 PM
No, but it would have, had it not exploded on a highway one night... 120kmh and the engine went (damned 2.8 EFI piece of crap!) which was great seeing as how it was February and it had power steering and power brakes with no power going to either since the engine blew...

Now I know how that guy felt in that movie, riding the bomb all the way down, only in my case it was more like a torpedo!

Def

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #16 on: September 09, 2007, 10:59:12 PM
That's a beauty!  Reminds me of my old 500- virtually identical except the size!  These days it's hard to remember what that bike looked like when it still had two wheels and the forks were bent 90 degrees to the frame!

Def

Reply #17 on: September 09, 2007, 11:01:33 PM
That's a beauty!  Reminds me of my old 500- virtually identical except the size!  These days it's hard to remember what that bike looked like when it still had two wheels and the forks were bent 90 degrees to the frame!

Def
You've had bikes too, well your gona have to start a new forum now! :)

I'm of to bed now, it's my son's first day at big school tommorow and I'm dreading it :cry:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #18 on: September 09, 2007, 11:02:37 PM
Best of luck to him!

G'night mate!

Def

Reply #19 on: September 10, 2007, 09:40:15 AM
Best of luck to him!

G'night mate!

Def
Cheers fella :)

Offline jock1

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: September 10, 2007, 11:00:27 AM
I've seen a lot of copper's using multi's but I doubt there issue item's, otherwise they could'nt afford toys like impretza's and fireblade's ;D

Well I can speak for Strathclyde when I say that you are not issued with multi tools and I have not heard of any other force who issues them.Most of the cops up here carry Leathermans cause Gerbers are harder to find north of the border for some reason I carry a Vic climber for any odd job .If I had to pick up anything like that foil we are issued with a set of tongs which can be used for that and for searching pockets ,bags etc anywhere you just do not want to take the chance of putting your hand into cause it ain't good waiting for six months to find out if you have any potentially fatal illnesses
Better safe than dead

Reply #21 on: September 10, 2007, 11:23:08 AM

Well I can speak for Strathclyde when I say that you are not issued with multi tools and I have not heard of any other force who issues them.Most of the cops up here carry Leathermans cause Gerbers are harder to find north of the border for some reason I carry a Vic climber for any odd job .If I had to pick up anything like that foil we are issued with a set of tongs which can be used for that and for searching pockets ,bags etc anywhere you just do not want to take the chance of putting your hand into cause it ain't good waiting for six months to find out if you have any potentially fatal illnesses
Better safe than dead
To true mate, I don't envy you have to deal with that class off people day in day out :-\

A climber would fit the bill perfectly in your job i would of thought, enough tool's to be useful in a nice inoffensive    package :)

Thanks for your reply mate :)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #22 on: September 10, 2007, 12:10:29 PM
What about the Deluxe Tinker or Mechanic for the small pliers?  They could come in handy for getting at nasty stuff hidden in a pocket and the like.

Def

Reply #23 on: September 10, 2007, 12:26:37 PM
What about the Deluxe Tinker or Mechanic for the small pliers?  They could come in handy for getting at nasty stuff hidden in a pocket and the like.

Def
That's true, Mind you I'd sooner just beat them until they took it out of there own damn pocket's >:D

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #24 on: September 10, 2007, 12:30:58 PM
These days if you do that in uniform it just looks bad on you.

As comedian Bobcat Goldthwaight says "If you ever see me getting beat by 15 cops, PUT DOWN THE CAMERA AND HELP ME!"

Def

Reply #25 on: September 10, 2007, 12:34:05 PM
These days if you do that in uniform it just looks bad on you.

As comedian Bobcat Goldthwaight says "If you ever see me getting beat by 15 cops, PUT DOWN THE CAMERA AND HELP ME!"

Def
lmfao, now that's a damn good quote :D

Offline jock1

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: September 10, 2007, 12:36:32 PM

Def
Given that some of the people I have to search that closely  smell like they have been dead for a week at least! I prefer to use the issue tongs as they are easier to clean and if they get covered in something really nasty I can throw them away and it doesn't cost me a penny .
I may start carrying a Swiss Champ for a full range of handy tools in a sheeple friendly package as every now and again I get to do a good deed for some of the more vunerable people I deal with.
I have fixed door chains repaired dodgy window catches etc makes you feel good to help where you can

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #27 on: September 10, 2007, 12:41:29 PM
Good point...

I don't know of any agencies on this side of the pond that offer tongs to their officers.  Over here they tend to use rubber gloves more often than anything else, and there's quite an industry for puncture proof latex manufacturers.  I use a brand called Nighthawks that are virtually impenetrable and chemical resistant, but aren't cheap.  Tongs would make so much more sense!

Reminds me of the NASA pen story about how the Americans spent untold millions of dollars developing a pen for space travel while the Russians simply used a pencil!

You wouldn't happen to have a picture or any information on those tongs, would you?

Def

Reply #28 on: September 10, 2007, 12:51:11 PM

Def
Given that some of the people I have to search that closely  smell like they have been dead for a week at least! I prefer to use the issue tongs as they are easier to clean and if they get covered in something really nasty I can throw them away and it doesn't cost me a penny .
I may start carrying a Swiss Champ for a full range of handy tools in a sheeple friendly package as every now and again I get to do a good deed for some of the more vunerable people I deal with.
I have fixed door chains repaired dodgy window catches etc makes you feel good to help where you can
I hope the tong's have got a long reach, like at least across the room ;D

You need to hurry up and make sergeant so you can ''delegate'' ;D

Mind you at least your job still has high's like being able to help people, If i had my time over I'd like to think I might of been a copper :)

Offline jock1

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: September 10, 2007, 12:54:31 PM
Good point...

I don't know of any agencies on this side of the pond that offer tongs to their officers.  Over here they tend to use rubber gloves more often than anything else, and there's quite an industry for puncture proof latex manufacturers.  I use a brand called Nighthawks that are virtually impenetrable and chemical resistant, but aren't cheap.  Tongs would make so much more sense!

Reminds me of the NASA pen story about how the Americans spent untold millions of dollars developing a pen for space travel while the Russians simply used a pencil!

You wouldn't happen to have a picture or any information on those tongs, would you?

Def
They referred to as AMPEL Probes I think thats the company name I don't have any pictures but basically they look like surgical forceps they are polycarbonate and about 12 inches long

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%