Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

M.T.O ZA2 list, (watch project#2)

Zed · 268 · 18055

spam Offline Zack

• No Life Club
Re: M.T.O ZA2 list, (watch project#2)
Reply #240 on: October 08, 2010, 04:14:25 AM
Got mine today...I like it even more then the ZA1.  Looking forward to the ZA3, and 4, and 5 and.....  Great work Paul, I must say I am no longer sad about giving up my seikos, than and the wife agreed to buy me a new seiko diver for Christmas, but I might tell her to get me something else.  This watch is amazing.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #241 on: October 08, 2010, 08:33:49 AM
Got mine today...I like it even more then the ZA1.  Looking forward to the ZA3, and 4, and 5 and.....  Great work Paul, I must say I am no longer sad about giving up my seikos, than and the wife agreed to buy me a new seiko diver for Christmas, but I might tell her to get me something else.  This watch is amazing.

cheers mate and im happy you love it , i have to say i wear the ZA2 more than any other watch even my 6309  :tu:

spam Offline John

• No Life Club
Reply #242 on: October 08, 2010, 08:39:01 PM
Ok my bracelet is flying to Gunga (Canada)  :D

Winging its way to Canada  :tu:  :cheers:

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #243 on: October 08, 2010, 09:29:10 PM
cheers mate and im happy you love it , i have to say i wear the ZA2 more than any other watch even my 6309   :tu:
I'm glad to hear you got it up and running again mate.. :tu:

Pics..  :pok:

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #244 on: October 09, 2010, 01:08:50 PM
cheers mate and im happy you love it , i have to say i wear the ZA2 more than any other watch even my 6309   :tu:
I'm glad to hear you got it up and running again mate.. :tu:

Pics..  :pok:

no pics yet allan, its not been running for long but not much different than before  :D   :tu:

ca Offline gunga

Reply #245 on: October 16, 2010, 02:57:43 AM
Well, got my ZA2, it's a heavy bugger!  The clasp on this strap is much improved over the ZA1.  I needed to sand and polish the crown as noed before.  Other detailing is a bit nicer on the ZA2 vs the ZA1.  Nice rugged watch, both of them!  The domed crystal is interesting. 

I tried the bracelet for a day or 2, but switched to Nato.  With bracelet, this watch felt a bit too heavy on my wrist (my other watch is a Ti Seiko with light Ti bracelet).

Hmmm, I'm gonna have to pick up a few more Natos and RAF straps.  Zed, where do you get yours?

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Reply #246 on: October 16, 2010, 03:09:12 AM
Paul offered to swap out the movement for me which is fair enough, and I may take him up on that.  My other option being a bit more expensive, going to a jeweler and have an ETA installed.  I haven't decided yet what I want to do.  I don't really look at it as being a "broken" watch.  There's nothing wrong with the watch, it just needs a new movement.  In the mean time I found an affordable CASIO to wear that fits quite well and has all the functionality I need.   :hu:  :D
SAW

Offline InspectorWinter

Reply #247 on: October 16, 2010, 04:21:05 AM
I got mine, not overly keen on it.. wish it had the cyclops and a NATO (hint hint Paul am willing to pay....)

spam Offline Zack

• No Life Club
Reply #248 on: October 17, 2010, 06:16:40 AM
Well my za2 has developed an interesting quirk.  I can go back in time, but can't advance forward.  Meaning if it stops (I have 4 auto's in my rotation)then I have to go backwards to get it to set.  If I try and advance forwards the crown just unscrews.  How do I fix this?

spam Offline John

• No Life Club
Reply #249 on: October 17, 2010, 11:19:16 PM
Zack you have to unscrew the crown and when it's free you pull the crown out to advance forward IIRC

spam Offline Zack

• No Life Club
Reply #250 on: October 18, 2010, 06:33:35 PM
 If I unscrew the crown to advance the time forward it unscrews from the stem.

ca Offline gunga

Reply #251 on: November 14, 2010, 06:48:17 AM
I have the same problem zack.  My watch is now useless as I can't set the time or date and my crown unscrews when I try and set the time.

Edit: I know zed will take care of it, just disappointed that my za2 is now non-functional
« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 09:22:22 AM by gunga »

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #252 on: November 14, 2010, 01:59:36 PM
It seems a bad batch of movements was used and this is partly why I have not sent my watch back to Paul for a new movement.  I don't want another defective one put in and lose out on all that shipping. 
SAW

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #253 on: November 14, 2010, 07:16:40 PM
ok guys i cant opologies enough, this isnt a movement issue its just a case of the crown unscrewing from the stem, this might help if you feel confident enough to try it, get a large bit of sticky tack push it on the case back and hold the watch tight at the front, twist anti clock wise, now i use a proper tool to tighten these but this does sometimes work, once the back is off you will need some thin needle nosed pliers, remove the movement ring and then grip the stem from the inside, turn the crown to tighten it back up as tight as possible , then replcae the movement ring and srew the case back on, this is only a crown issue and i had it last week on one i was working on , i think i might apply lock tight in the future, im really sorry guys for these issues and once i get the wedding out the way i will try my hardest to sort anything out, its all been a learning curve for me as ive tried my hardest to build a nice watch without charging the earth but sadly i didnt think of extra funds to one side for any problems, my fualt as i didnt wont to charge you guys too much , again im sorry to any one with problems and ive learnt a few lessons,

paul

spam Offline Zack

• No Life Club
Reply #254 on: November 14, 2010, 09:12:09 PM
I believe mine is a movement issue. Mine just randomly stops even on a full wind, ill probably send it when the funds allow or see how much the local watch repairman will charge for an eta. However my za1 has never had one single issue and has talen a few licks, matter of fact I lost the pip in mine today.

ca Offline gunga

Reply #255 on: November 14, 2010, 10:52:58 PM
My fix is in progress, this video really helps.

Look up :How To Clean Your Rolex or Other Fine Watch  on you tube.

Paul/Zed, I think your watches are great, good price, nice stuff.  I love to tinker so now I have a real reason.

:D

I'll get some loctite and let you know how things go.

ca Offline gunga

Reply #256 on: November 14, 2010, 11:34:55 PM
Semi success.  I got it fixed but the stem keeps loosening.  Even with "perma-lock" (fake locktite).

May heva to get more "real" loctite.  I did manage to clean out some annoying condensation in the lense tho.  Nice...

gb Offline ryan1835

• buh
Reply #257 on: November 14, 2010, 11:44:02 PM
I believe mine is a movement issue. Mine just randomly stops even on a full wind, ill probably send it when the funds allow or see how much the local watch repairman will charge for an eta. However my za1 has never had one single issue and has talen a few licks, matter of fact I lost the pip in mine today.

yeah my za1 s had a right battering at work, the pip went a while ago and now ive scratched the cyclops love the watch though  :)
I

ca Offline gunga

Reply #258 on: November 15, 2010, 08:37:37 AM
Got my ZA2 working again, had to re-do the loctite 3 times before it would stick (had to wait longer for it to set).  I hope it stays.

Had a weird timing quirk where I was somehow like 8 hours off.  Will have to monitor to make sure nothing weird is going on...

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #259 on: November 15, 2010, 11:03:20 AM
HI guys, glad some sorted and most enjoying there watches, ive just chatted to def about problems, i will try my hardest to sort these problems and i guess teething issues , sadly its my fault but i never over charged on the watches as wanted everyone to have a good price but sadly left me without a profit to cover problems, my fault so i will try and honour my work, again sorry guys for the issues,

paul

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #260 on: November 15, 2010, 01:58:39 PM
ok guys , i sadly cant afford return postage but if you guys with problems can send me the watches back ill sort them out and pay for repairs parts and return postage, plus can people pm me and not leave it here as i get mixed up with what is going on  :tu:

thanks
paul

ca Offline gunga

Reply #261 on: November 15, 2010, 08:12:19 PM
Still really like your watches Zed.  If you people are comfortable opening up their ZA2s, the unscrewing crown issue is not a hard fix.  However, I think you have to take the whole stem out, add loctite, and tighten it a decent amount and allow time for the loctite to cure.  They still come loose if this is not done (at least mine did about 3 times).

It's tough selling such a fiddly item at such a low price.  I really appreciate your efforts, and now that's I've had a chance to tinker, am really still happy with my ZA1/ZA2.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #262 on: November 15, 2010, 09:42:57 PM
Still really like your watches Zed.  If you people are comfortable opening up their ZA2s, the unscrewing crown issue is not a hard fix.  However, I think you have to take the whole stem out, add loctite, and tighten it a decent amount and allow time for the loctite to cure.  They still come loose if this is not done (at least mine did about 3 times).

It's tough selling such a fiddly item at such a low price.  I really appreciate your efforts, and now that's I've had a chance to tinker, am really still happy with my ZA1/ZA2.

thanks for the coments mate, im going to use locktite in the future as seems a better way to do it, this doesnt just happen on my builds its a general thing, ive had it happen on 2 seiko divers and another watch i had, loctite seems the long term cure,  :tu:

Offline Abstraction

Reply #263 on: November 23, 2010, 04:23:49 PM
Guess I've been lucky, my ZA2 is still going perfectly despite it being the watch i pick up to wear 80% of the time :) Only thing i've noticed is it looses around a minute a week but that's hardly the end of the world, not like it takes long to adjust once a month or so :)

Thanks again Zed

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #264 on: March 19, 2011, 08:38:29 PM
here is a list of some of the next members who want the ZA2 im going to do 10 again,  :tu:

Def#1
john#2
gunga#3
chako#4
ryan#5
abstraction#6
donvito#7

case SS 44mm engraved case back screw on, screw in crown,unidirectional click bezel.ST-16 21 jewel movement automatic, SS bracelet, possibly a might do nato or silicone as options, price without postage £45 no matter what strap, postsage UK £2.50 signed for 1st class, U.S-Canada etc £7.00  i hope to have these out by the end of sept  :tu:

ca Offline gunga

Reply #265 on: March 19, 2011, 08:52:45 PM
What's with the bump?

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #266 on: March 19, 2011, 08:54:30 PM
What's with the bump?

sorry clicked wrong button  ::)

ni-ulster Offline cerbera147

• No Life Club