Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

** SOG Agency **

us Offline sergemaster

• No Life Club
** SOG Agency **
on: August 28, 2010, 10:59:26 AM
Amici,
Here is my newest addition from SOG, the Agency based on a fighter design that was carried by CIA operatives during the Vietnam war.

The Agency is 12.7 inches overall and has a 7.5-inch blade. Steel is AUS 8. Both satin finish and black TiNi blades are available. The one I purchased has the black TiNi. The blade has a drop point with a long false top edge that extends about 4.5 inches. The choil is similar to the type found on the Randall Model 1 and combines with the taper of the false edge at the top of the blade to give the ricasso a width of about .75 inch.

This taper to the top of the blade gives it a slight leaf-like appearance. Weight is 9.6 ounces. The tang extends full length. The stacked, epoxied washer grip has red/white/black spacers at top and bottom. The black pommel cap is affixed with a round nut, which is inset. A hole for a lanyard or wrist thong is drilled near the top of the pommel cap. The crossguard is also black and is curved to the rear.

It is about 2 inches wide and is definitely smaller than a typical Randall Model 1 crossguard. Note that I continue to make comparisons to the Randall Model 1, as I feel that was the knife that was the inspiration for the original knife upon which the Agency is based. The ricasso is marked on one side “SOG/Agency” on the other, a serial number as well as “Taiwan” in white etching.

The production sheath is black leather with a retention strap and a sharpening stone in a pocket.  I find the snap extremely stiff and very difficult to open and close, but it will likely wear in. Since I don't like stock sheaths, I contacted a sheath maker I know in Va. and had him make me a proper one based on a Randall type "C" design for around $60.00. It arrived today and came out better than I had expected.

I like SOG knives a lot, as I feel they give good quality for a reasonable price. Speaking of that, price for an Agency with satin finish is about $100.00, and one with the TiNi Finish goes for about $135.00 that I've recently seen listed on Ebay.

The Agency is a very beautiful knife overall, which, like SOG’s other historical fighting knives such as their version of the original MACV/SOG knife from which the company took its name conjures up images of use in harm’s way. The long, black blade, curved crossguard, and leather washer handle blend very well aesthetically.

I consider this one of the best looking fighting knives available and at a decent price. Balance is excellent on the Agency and it is light and lively in the hand. Because of its looks and historical association, the Agency should appeal to collectors, but it is also a well-designed fighting knife that will appeal to users as well. The Agency is a quick knife in the hand; I consider that to be a very good thing in any quality combat knife since it would be an awkward situation for ones knife to fail them when they need it the most.

Cheers,
Serge
Agency 1.jpg
* Agency 1.jpg (Filesize: 59.62 KB)
Agency 2.jpg
* Agency 2.jpg (Filesize: 51.36 KB)
Agency 3.jpg
* Agency 3.jpg (Filesize: 61.75 KB)
« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 11:04:37 AM by sergemaster »
'I will NOT be threatened by a walking Meatloaf!!' - D. Kessler

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Re: ** SOG Agency **
Reply #1 on: August 28, 2010, 02:15:42 PM
Nice :gimme:
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

ca Offline Sean

• No Life Club
Re: ** SOG Agency **
Reply #2 on: August 28, 2010, 05:49:31 PM
Those are some of the loveliest fixed blades Sog makes.  :tu:  I've eyeballed them numerous times
but don't carry a fixed blade that size often.  Anyhow, nice knife.  :)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%