Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

So what do you use to get to the great outdoor's

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: So what do you use to get to the great outdoor's
Reply #30 on: September 18, 2007, 02:18:49 PM
That's what my uncle has.  The big bikes are great for some things, but the trails around my parent's place is mostly mud, trees and sand, where smaller, lighter and more maneuverable bikes are better suited.  Remember this picture?

I don't want to think about how deep a 660 would have sunk in that mud!

Besides, the 300 managed to drag me and the 250 home well enough after that puddle.  Of course the 250 runs rings around most ATV's because the whole machine weighs less than 300 pounds.  Of course I don't think we ever exceeded 30mph, and that was on the road, not in the woods.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
Reply #31 on: September 19, 2007, 04:10:30 AM
Many years ago,more than I care to count,one of my first runs as a newly minted EMT was a trauma code,involving an ATV rider,unfortunately a fatality.The whole thing was aggaravated by the rider having plowed open a nest of yellow-jackets.
 A helmet might have helped some,but internal injuries were far too extensive and severe.
I

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #32 on: September 19, 2007, 06:27:24 AM
Haha... 300cc & 250cc?  Mine is a Yahama Grizzly 660 :)
That's the one with the really trick suspention isn't it ???

I'm sure I saw one complete the paris dakar last year :)

Crap... I spelt Yamaha wrong...  (I went to publik skool)
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #33 on: September 19, 2007, 06:32:35 AM
That's what my uncle has.  The big bikes are great for some things, but the trails around my parent's place is mostly mud, trees and sand, where smaller, lighter and more maneuverable bikes are better suited.  Remember this picture?

(Image removed from quote.)

I don't want to think about how deep a 660 would have sunk in that mud!

Besides, the 300 managed to drag me and the 250 home well enough after that puddle.  Of course the 250 runs rings around most ATV's because the whole machine weighs less than 300 pounds.  Of course I don't think we ever exceeded 30mph, and that was on the road, not in the woods.

Def

When I first got the Grizzly, I would get stuck a bit, even with the locking diffs.  I ended up changing from the stock tires to some ITP Mudlite's, and I very rarely get stuck anymore.  It's been thru some seriously deep mud too (I love mud :) )

It's a nice machine, but I admit that I bought it because it was the biggest at the time.  If I had to do it over, I would definately go with a smaller (and cheaper) quad.
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #34 on: September 19, 2007, 01:52:55 PM
I love mud too- most pictures of me on an ATV are taken when we are stopped because I am in a mud pit that's a bit too deep!   :grin:

I have to say, my initial reaction would be to get the biggest bike I could as well, but since driving my parent's quads (bear in mind my folks are in the latter half of their 60's and are off roading!) I see that anything over 300 is really overkill.  My father's Cat managed to haul him, me and the Honda about ten miles over rough terrain to get home.  The only thing that stopped the Honda was just the lack of serious low end bull power and no 4WD.  However, it's maneuverability and light weight allow it to go many places other quads can't go, and it climbs hills like a billy goat.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #35 on: September 19, 2007, 09:19:33 PM
Of all the trail bike's I've ever ridden in the dirt, this one was head and shoulder's better than the rest :)
I give you the yammie serow :)

* yamaha-serow-225-we-2002.jpg (Filesize: 51.73 KB)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD