Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Fave 111mm SAK

Benner · 63 · 9920

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Re: Fave 111mm SAK
Reply #30 on: September 02, 2010, 11:45:44 AM
hunter (still dont have one but i really llike it :twak:), oh forester, oht and all its variants (soldier, gak)

(Image removed from quote.)

Nice photo :tu:

The only one I have is an OHT and I like it a lot. I use it round the house only (due to the boring laws etc) but it feels so well put together, I wish I could get more use out of it.

I hardly ever buy SAKs with corkscrews so this one is just fine for my needs. I especially like the saw; you can do some proper damage with it  :tu:

To my own flesh  :-[
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #31 on: September 03, 2010, 01:06:53 AM
I've had a old Forester, a new Forester, a Workchamp and a new Soldier and parted with everyone of them.

A standard Leatherman like my Charge is only 100mm long, so there's no way a SAK that's even bigger is going to work out for me :)
I used to come here a lot.

us Offline django.cj

Reply #32 on: September 03, 2010, 04:19:42 AM
OHT is my favorite, although my Hunter is getting a lot of carry time lately.  I'm thinking about picking up a soldier or OH Forested, but I'd like this one in a plain edge, which is harder to find.

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #33 on: September 03, 2010, 12:43:39 PM
Lots of OH fans here.  Don't you all find it's absolutely rotten to hold when using anything bar the blade?  That killed it for me.
I'm back!!

us Offline django.cj

Reply #34 on: September 03, 2010, 01:53:01 PM
Lots of OH fans here.  Don't you all find it's absolutely rotten to hold when using anything bar the blade?  That killed it for me.
Nope. The hump sits between my index and middle fingers when using the saw. OH opening is priceless IMO. I wish Vic would release an OH Hunter.

us Offline BIG-TARGET

• No Life Club
  • "Survival must be earned"-Klingon Proverb
Reply #35 on: September 03, 2010, 04:04:05 PM
Nope. The hump sits between my index and middle fingers when using the saw. OH opening is priceless IMO. I wish Vic would release an OH Hunter.

OH Outrider would be perfect for me ::)
"Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall;
 Some run from breaks of ice, and answer none:
 And some condemned for a fault alone." -William Shakespeare, King Lear (1608), Act IV, scene 6, line 169

us Offline Sazabi

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #36 on: September 03, 2010, 04:42:56 PM

My fingers are thin and long enough to fit through the OH hole whenever I'm using another tool. :tu:

cs Offline edcgear

• No Life Club
Reply #37 on: September 03, 2010, 05:18:33 PM
A question...

...a VIC Sentinel plane edge w/clip or WEN Ranger 51 w/clip??

:shrug:
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
There is method to my madness....
http://svakodnevnesitnice.blogspot.com/

spam Offline glorn

• No Life Club
  • His name is Robert Paulson.
Reply #38 on: September 03, 2010, 07:00:03 PM
A question...

...a VIC Sentinel plane edge w/clip or WEN Ranger 51 w/clip??

:shrug:

I have the Sentinel and it is lovely. Can't speak for the Wenger.
G

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #39 on: September 03, 2010, 07:02:27 PM

Seems it's just you and me mate. :)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #40 on: September 03, 2010, 07:08:34 PM
I'm used to being in the minority.  :D
I'm back!!

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #41 on: September 04, 2010, 07:28:58 PM
As so many like the OHT, tomorrow I will dig it out of my for sale pile and give it another go.
I'm back!!

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #42 on: September 04, 2010, 07:31:31 PM
As so many like the OHT, tomorrow I will dig it out of my for sale pile and give it another go.
You have a "for sale" pile..??  :pok: :pok:

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #43 on: September 04, 2010, 07:32:58 PM
I have a HUGE for sale pile.  All no longer used so have to go.
I'm back!!

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #44 on: September 04, 2010, 10:27:57 PM
Odd, I don't recall seeing a Benners Really Big Garage Sale thread...? ??? :D
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #45 on: September 04, 2010, 10:29:32 PM
Odd, I don't recall seeing a Benners Really Big Garage Sale thread...? ??? :D
Well you know how bad he is at ridding himself of shelf queens ::) :D
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #46 on: September 04, 2010, 10:38:48 PM
I'm still compiling the list.  :D
I'm back!!

kr Offline sasamikoyu

Reply #47 on: September 22, 2012, 02:28:42 PM
One Hand Master RT is one of my favorites.

Offline HighlandPark

Reply #48 on: September 22, 2012, 03:49:51 PM
four pages and no one mentioned "nomad"?
its like the better version of a spartan (at least for my big hands)
for everything else i have my spirit x paired with it. that way i have an additional big blade, corkscrew and (most important) t&t!

count me in. somehow i never had the need for ohe hand opening knives.

:facepalm:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #49 on: September 22, 2012, 04:27:12 PM
for everything else i have my spirit x paired with it. that way i have an additional big blade, corkscrew and (most important) t&t!

Good man. :salute:
 :D

I'm still more than happy with my Forrester, though I do now have a Outrider on my wish-list.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

Offline RDog

Reply #50 on: September 22, 2012, 08:29:46 PM
The one hand vics are what led me to this site...

What I wanted was the OH trekker, but with a corkscrew in place of the phillips bit.  don't see much use for the phillips bit on a GP woods knife...the corkscrew allows the carry of mini screwdriver for sunglasses and such and maybe, just maybe would open a bottle of wine on the trail.

One of my general feelings about SAKs is they should have the toothpic and tweezers, without them they are really just "normal" traditional folders...plus the tweezers have helped out many times at work and at play in the past.

So I wanted the OH trecker because it had the T&T but wanted a corkscrew...thought with the internet and all it would be easy to find...I was wrong.

So I buy the OH Fireman, it has what I want, plus the seatbelt cutting blade.  I feared that it would be a bit too thick...and I was right.  I don't really like it, would be better off with a multi tool.

...of course befor I buy anything I think that getting the OH forester and swapping out the scales for ones w/the T&T is the best bet....but can't find the scales for sale.

So then I find a used OH trekker, and now have that as well.  Its the right size for me, it can go in a pocket, but I am stuck with the phillips bit, so my original wants go wanting.

Now I fear down the road I'll get a forrester and swap scales from one of these others and get the knife I wanted all along, as well as just what I did not want...the other two knives. 

Truth be told, I think I should have just gotten a new multitool, (thats what I really need as my original leatherman finally gave it up after 18 yrs)  I have plenty of folding knives but no MT right now.

A good MT plus my tinker, and any of my larger folders would cover all my needs and wants.  When will I learn?

us Offline Donald

Reply #51 on: September 23, 2012, 12:49:51 AM
RDog, I agree with you on the corkscrew. One of my favorite 111mm knives:

I wish they were generally available like this.

gr Offline MARIOS7319

• Happiness depends upon ourselves. Aristotle
Reply #52 on: September 23, 2012, 01:19:55 AM
I have a Resque Tool in the car and my trusty Workchamp XL in the toolbox. :D

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Reply #53 on: September 23, 2012, 01:33:13 AM

Good man. :salute:
 :D

I'm still more than happy with my Forrester, though I do now have a Outrider on my wish-list.
Wow... thread necrosis!

Add me to that list BTB...  The backwards liner lock release flummoxes me every time... I've never been able to get used to it.  Granted, I've never owned one, but just handling one it has always put me off.  Not to mention the fact the hump in the blade gets in the way.

Gareth, the Outrider is one of the greatest all around 111's ever made IMHO... I've had one for almost 10 years, and it was my very first 111.  Last fall, Steve took the saw out for me; it's a good 2 mm thinner w/o it, and what's left is an almost perfect set of EDC tools for me. 

I got a Hunter a couple months ago, and Steve added a scissors/phillips layer to it for me, and now it's pretty much the perfect outdoors SAK for me.  In fact, it's just like an Outrider except it's got the little serrated blade and a full thickness combo tool instead of the openers.  It lives in my hiking pack now, and I like it so much I constantly find myself coming up with excuses to either carry it in general, or go for another hike.   :whistle:

I also love my Work Champ; it fits my hand perfectly, and I love the toolset, everything that's essential and nothing superfluous, like the fish scaler on the Swiss Champ.  I actually do carry it on my belt from time to time; last time was over the Labor Day weekend here (when I torqued my back  :facepalm: ), and it was very handy pretty much the entire weekend at my wife's family's cabin.

I really think 111's are the perfect SAK... simply an awesome size.  Rangers are great knives too, but just a bit too big for EDC.  Now, if Wenger made a Ranger with a saw and scissors in addition to the main OHO blade, I might consider that a nearly perfect outdoors knife.
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

se Offline Northern Geek

Reply #54 on: September 23, 2012, 09:25:51 AM
By the way.. is it possible to switch the blades so that you'll have a OHO blade with a slide lock? I really love the one hand opening part.. but the actual lock is not particularly comfortable.

Or maybe add the scissor / long philips layer to a OHO knife? For instance switching the saw on a Trekker to the scissor / philips combo?

I think I'd like an outrider with the saw removed and the blade switched to a OHO version. Preferably plain edged. :P
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 09:29:56 AM by Northern Geek »

Offline RDog

Reply #55 on: September 24, 2012, 04:16:48 PM
RDog, I agree with you on the corkscrew. One of my favorite 111mm knives:

(Image removed from quote.)

I wish they were generally available like this.

Thats a nice one.

Question on that leatherman style, how useful do you find such a small MT?  That one is TSA approved?

us Offline JNieporte

Reply #56 on: September 25, 2012, 10:12:47 AM
Hunter or Rucksack.
This is gonna hurt...

se Offline kinskibrain

Reply #57 on: September 27, 2012, 01:27:32 AM
Victorinox Forester (dual density)

Alternatively the 08 Soldiers knife but I prefer the Forester because I much rather have the cork screw than the philips. I also think the red/black looks a lot better and is more practical with its higher visibility.

I would really like to try the Wenger Rangergrip 78. I suspect it could become my new favourite in this class.

00 Offline WWW

• No Life Club
Reply #58 on: September 27, 2012, 02:37:19 AM
(...) anyone have a set they'd want to trade for a saw... or money? (...)

~ evil ~

If I had one I would give it to you for free, just to see the result of the mod, but since I don't ... :facepalm: :cry:

Offline Mattexian

Reply #59 on: September 30, 2012, 10:57:01 PM
Lovin' my OH Soldier here a lot!  Got lots of use from it last weekend on a campout/wedding, starting with cutting lots of cord while setting up camp, then slicing open food packaging and the food itself, opened a bottle of fine adult beverage during the reception :drink:, even used the Phillips driver as a marlinspike to untie a knot during breakdown.  Today used the can opener/driver to take apart a box fan for thorough cleaning, and the large driver to unscrew some hose clamps since I'm taking down our above-ground pool for the season.  Plus it's big enough that it's easy to handle, when my early arthritis acts up! :rant:

For now I've shelved my idea of removing the saw from my older OHT to make it into an OH Adventurer, after noticing the backspring of the saw is different at the hinge from the spring of the main blade.

Matt in Texas
R

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69