Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What was your first car?

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
What was your first car?
on: September 12, 2007, 03:09:49 AM
Your first car and your first love are the only two things a man every truly remembers.  Sometimes they may be one in the same, but considering how many wives may be looking over members' shoulders, I'm only asking about the cars!  My first car was an '86 Pontiac Firebird, with a 2.8L fuel injected six cylinder with a four speed automatic transmission, in metallic blue.  This isn't it, but it's pretty close:

I don't think I have a picture of the actual car unfortunately.  I loved that car.  It was the "upscale" model with an overhead console with built in trip computer and removable flashlight- I have only seen one with that console since mine.  It also had an Alpine tape deck (CD player in a car? not in those days!) and twin Pioneer 6x9's in the B pillars.  It also had bucket seats in the back instead of the regular bench, and they were comfortable as all get out, as long as you didn't have legs!

Unfortunately it didn't last long- I found out later that '86 was the year GM changed from imperial to metric sizes, and that year's 2.8's were some of the worst engines they ever put out.  I found out the hard way when it blew up on me...

My next car, a '91 VW Fox was much better- I drove everywhere in that thing and it never gave me much trouble at all.  It was as different from my Firebird as you could get- wasn't sporty, wasn't luxury, wasn't fancy.  The only things they had in common were they were both blue 2 doors!  Just like this one, only in a pale blue so light it almost looks grey.  If you are familiar with VW's, you are likely familiar with that color!

I was also fond of this car, in many ways more than my Firebird, but mostly because this one worked all the time!  One thing that always amazed me was the raw power you could get from this little car's 1.9L engine and 4 speed manual transmission.  The second year I had it I actually raced a Camaro with the 2.8L engine and I smoked him hard.  I was actually at 80kmh before I realized I was still in first gear!  I went into second until I hit around 120kmh, said to hell with third and went right into 4th.  By that point there was no sign of the Camaro...

I've had  a few cars since then, each with it's own charm, but none like those two...

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Re: What was your first car?
Reply #1 on: September 12, 2007, 03:45:25 AM
Triple black 1996 Lincoln Town Car.

Such a heartbreaker. When I first recieved my license my grades were good enough and it was felt I was mature enough to inherit my Father's old car when it came time for him to buy a new one. Thus began my love affair with large, V8 luxury sedans. The first year I had the car I must have put 25,000 miles on it and spent a fortune in gas driving everywhere I could with as many friends as I could get to fit inside. Memories flood back of icy winter roads and endless bootlegger turns and donuts in the frozen high school parking lot. Don't even get me started on all the rubber I laid down around town. It was fast, had an excellent air-ride suspension and most importantly; was really really cool. I had 2 years of bliss out of that car before I had to give it up. The car died an early death after being beached on a frozen snowbank and the subsequent damage to that occured when the bottom of a hot engine hit a wall of solid snow.

Since then I've been saddled with this behemoth, but it's nearing the end of it's life with almost 200,000 miles on it.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: September 12, 2007, 03:46:57 AM

My first car was a 1972 Olds Cutlass. My foot was pretty heavy in those days. I'm fairly certain I was at least somewhat responsible for the gasoline shortages of the late 1970's.  :)

In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
Reply #3 on: September 12, 2007, 04:46:57 AM
Mine was a 72 Dodge Dart with a 318 c.i.d. engine,inherited on my grandfather's passing.

* 72dart3.jpg (Filesize: 35.33 KB)
I

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Reply #4 on: September 12, 2007, 04:50:34 AM
My first car was a 1984 chevrolet cavalier.  It was an ugly cream color with brown interior.  It went everywhere including off road.  

Since then I have had

88 S-10

88 Beretta

89 Caprice Classic

92 Firebird

89 Grand Prix

98 S-10

05 Cavalier

Yeah, I have had a lot of cars in the 11 years that I have been driving

Offline Viper

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: September 12, 2007, 05:40:04 AM
I haven't had a car yet, but when I do, I think I'll get a Ford Mustang.
[

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #6 on: September 12, 2007, 05:52:46 AM
A white 1989 Oldsmobile Delta 88...awesome car (can't find a pic online though ??? )

It was a luxury car that you woulden't have a stroke if you hit a pothole or some rough ground.  It drove great and had a nice sturdy feel...one of the last years that cars had "straight lines" before everyone switched over to the "curvy" look.

I'd consider getting another 1989 Olds whenever I decide to sell my Caddy (or it self destructs, whichever comes first.)...
[

Offline znapschatz

Reply #7 on: September 12, 2007, 05:54:42 AM
A 1951 Plymouth sedan with bashed in trunk lid and banged up hood.  I paid $50 for it, drove it all over the state for about one year, and sold it to another student for $50. 
I am really an old guy.

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #8 on: September 12, 2007, 07:08:00 AM
Mine was a 1987 Dodge Omni... I've got pics of it around here somewhere.  I got into 3 accidents with that thing, the last of which was a rollover.  I was trying to drift it around some turns on a dirt road... that was before I knew how hard it was to drift a front wheel drive car :)
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: September 12, 2007, 07:47:07 AM
My first one was a 1986 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme. Similar to this one except it's was a ugly creme soda color had numerous dents on all sides and the cloth ceiling was failing down. It had two different sets of hubcaps and had trouble going up hills. Man I loved that car

* new.jpg (Filesize: 22.85 KB)
"

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: September 12, 2007, 01:54:46 PM
Hold the phone here- I hate to stop a thread when it's going good like this, but Spoony buddy, I need to address something!

Since then I've been saddled with this behemoth, but it's nearing the end of it's life with almost 200,000 miles on it.

On a cargo van, that's barely middle aged!  When I gave up my work van in March (after leaving that job) it had half a million kilometers on it, and was still going strong... and it was a Dodge of all things! (lil poke at Mike! :P)  If you wait till that thing dies to replace it, get comfortable, cause you could be there for a long time!

Now back to the regularly scheduled thread, already in progress... :D

CQC-7, does your uncle own the dealership or something?  I can see you are a Chevy man!

Having had three Pontiacs (a Catalina, Firebird and now the Sunfire) and a GMC Tracker I guess I have the same problem, but my next vehicle will likely be a Jeep or some other 4x4.  If I should buy another car after that, it'll likely be a VW- if you want fuel efficiency, get an Asian car, if you want raw power, buy American, if you want both you have to go European!

Interesting to see the cars that most of us started with, and how each of those cars probably instilled in all of us the importance of having a good tool and being prepared!  :grin:

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline Sparkey

• Road Monkey
Reply #11 on: September 12, 2007, 02:15:29 PM
White 86 Buick Regal with crushed velvet seats, wire spoke wheels, and a bitchin V8 engine. I got it from my great uncle in Maryland in 92...it had 4000 miles on it...It was pushing 200k when I sold it b/c it got to be too much in upkeep...a thermostat here, an alternator here, a fuel pump here..etc...nickeled and dimed to death. :D
"

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: September 12, 2007, 02:55:28 PM
Careful there Sparkey, you'll be hitting a century with your next post!

Make it count!   ;D

Def

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Reply #13 on: September 12, 2007, 05:44:54 PM
No , my uncle is a professional drunk not a car dealer. :)  I have always had GM cars.  My 2005 cavalier will probally be the last GM product that I will ever own.  It has 38,000mi and the transaxel seal is leaking.  I called GM and they say that they will fix it even though it is no longer under warranty.  I guess that I will find out monday.  I have had bad luck with this one.  Hit twice, and had the slave cylinder go out in may.  I'll definately never buy a new car again. 

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #14 on: September 12, 2007, 10:44:12 PM
A 1970 AMC Gremlin. It was a total piece of crap but it was only 100$ and it was 1982
S

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #15 on: September 13, 2007, 12:42:54 AM
It's kinda funny I know, but I've always had a fascination with the Pacer, Gremlin and Eagle!  Funny that the same company that brought us the Pacer:

also brought us this:

Not much in the way of similarities, is there? :D

Def

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #16 on: September 13, 2007, 10:45:19 AM
Does this count ;D

Mine was a red one, and as everyone know's the red one's were faster ;)

I've never had a car, I've always been on two wheels, and sometimes off two wheels and in a ditch ;D
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
Reply #17 on: September 13, 2007, 06:26:35 PM
Does this count ;D

I've never had a car, I've always been on two wheels, and sometimes off two wheels and in a ditch ;D
                   HERETIC!!!!!  And you from the land that gave the world Norton,Triumph,and BSA! Not to mention Enfields and Vincents.
I

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #18 on: September 13, 2007, 06:30:43 PM
That's a good point....  :o

Def

Offline Sparkey

• Road Monkey
Reply #19 on: September 13, 2007, 06:41:23 PM
But you meet the nicest people riding a Honda....How he got here is beyond me... ;D
"

Reply #20 on: September 13, 2007, 07:06:06 PM
Does this count ;D

HERETIC!!!!!  And you from the land that gave the world Norton,Triumph,and BSA! Not to mention Enfields and Vincents.
Soon as I can afford one I'll be buying a nice Triton, I've only got seven more life time's before I can afford one ::) ;D

* tritonSteffenKimmerle2.jpg (Filesize: 45.55 KB)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2007, 07:09:15 PM by micky d »

Reply #21 on: September 13, 2007, 07:07:49 PM
But you meet the nicest people riding a Honda....How he got here is beyond me... ;D
Oi,  ;D

I can go off people you know...

...and then ban them >:D ;) ;D ;D

Offline Sparkey

• Road Monkey
Reply #22 on: September 13, 2007, 07:10:11 PM
Oi,  ;D

;) :pok:

My first ride was a Honda, my dad used to take me out on his when I was wee...and he is a nice guy ;D
« Last Edit: September 13, 2007, 07:12:04 PM by Sparkey »
"

Reply #23 on: September 13, 2007, 07:19:40 PM
Oi,  ;D

My first ride was a Honda??, my dad used to take me out on his when I was wee...and he is a nice guy ;D
What one did he have, I love old bike's, new one's dont really do it for me these days ::)

My dad got me into bike's buy having them when i was a kid, I'm desparatly trying to break the cycle now, otherwise my boy will get into them as well!

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #24 on: September 13, 2007, 07:22:12 PM
Ugh... why'd you have to bring up motorcycles?  Now I want a Triumph Speedmaster...

I've always liked Enfields too... What other UK/European bike makers are there?
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

Reply #25 on: September 13, 2007, 07:28:13 PM
Ugh... why'd you have to bring up motorcycles?  Now I want a Triumph Speedmaster...

I've always liked Enfields too... What other UK/European bike makers are there?
Erm, of the top of my head, sachs, bmw, ktm, pergeout, piaggio, laverda, ducati, cagiva, derbi, aprilia, italjet, mbk and triumph.

there are probably more but i can't think of them at the moment ::)

Offline Sparkey

• Road Monkey
Reply #26 on: September 13, 2007, 07:28:38 PM
Oi,  ;D

My first ride was a Honda??, my dad used to take me out on his when I was wee...and he is a nice guy ;D
What one did he have, I love old bike's, new one's dont really do it for me these days ::)

My dad got me into bike's buy having them when i was a kid, I'm desparatly trying to break the cycle now, otherwise my boy will get into them as well!

I don't know the particular model...it was similar to the pic you showed...except it was gold. He got rid of it while I was still a kid. He never had the time to ride it and whenever he wanted to go out he always had to take me! ;D
"

Reply #27 on: September 13, 2007, 07:32:07 PM
this one?

* pix-labels-012-copys.jpg (Filesize: 10.99 KB)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #28 on: September 13, 2007, 09:45:13 PM
new one's dont really do it for me these days

Not even the Honda Valkyrie Rune?

This is pretty well my dream bike... this or the Dodge Tomahawk!

Def

Reply #29 on: September 13, 2007, 10:35:29 PM
new one's dont really do it for me these days

Not even the Honda Valkyrie Rune?

(Image removed from quote.)

This is pretty well my dream bike... this or the Dodge Tomahawk!

Def
Too big, too heavy, too long, and far too slow ;D

Any bike that need's a reverse gear, is just a little bit silly if you ask me, although they do look good in a judge dread kinda way ;)

Seriously our roads are short and narrow's so we europeans like light, powerful bike's with razor sharp steering, things like Fireblade's, R1's, and GSXR 1000 are your average brit's cup of tea :)

I've still got a huge soft spot for MZ's though ::)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD