Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Yet another thing in the way of saving money...

Viper · 11 · 2800

Offline Viper

• No Life Club
Yet another thing in the way of saving money...
on: September 13, 2007, 06:36:02 AM
http://sogknives.com/store/BP-1.html

I also have the Killowatt and some multitool parts to buy, not to mention tools from other brands.

:ahhh :ahhh :ahhh

What am I to do?

EDIT: Gah, I have to stop looking on this site. I had hoped I had this one out of my mind for good, now I have to buy one.

http://sogknives.com/store/B66.html
« Last Edit: September 13, 2007, 06:48:28 AM by Viper »
[

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Re: Yet another thing in the way of saving money...
Reply #1 on: September 13, 2007, 10:30:37 AM
Are assisted opener's legal where you live then?

There totally illegal in the UK :(
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Offline Viper

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: September 14, 2007, 06:21:34 AM
Yeah.
[

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Reply #3 on: September 14, 2007, 04:03:31 PM
I often wondered if assissted openers are illegal in Ohio.  The Ohio revised code prohibits people from "carrying" switchblades, butterfly, and gravity knives, and I believe any knife that opens by any means other than hand power.  However, they still sell assisted knives at X-mart.  Automatic knives a perfectly legal to buy as pieces for a collection but not for carry. 

Offline znapschatz

Reply #4 on: September 14, 2007, 10:04:59 PM
I often wondered if assissted openers are illegal in Ohio.  The Ohio revised code prohibits people from "carrying" switchblades, butterfly, and gravity knives, and I believe any knife that opens by any means other than hand power.  However, they still sell assisted knives at X-mart.  Automatic knives a perfectly legal to buy as pieces for a collection but not for carry. 

As a fellow Ohioan, I have learned not to worry about carry laws too much.  Knife laws here are fairly liberal.  As long as your concealed folder locking blade does not exceed 4 inches, and not in the categories you listed, they are legal.  However, case law was established when folders were commonly two handed opening, and has not been settled about the one handed opening variety. 

On the street, the matter is pretty much up to an LEO, who is there to preserve public order, not be a dipstick.   If a cop observes a family guy cutting up a child's picnic sandwich with a Spyderco Endura, no problem, not even interested except maybe to strike up a conversation with a fellow knifeknut.  Finds a boy scout knife on someone at the scene of a disturbance, possible big problem.  I have been in both kinds of situations (several times, actually) and have found that common sense usually prevails; that is, I have never been arrested, warned, or had anything confiscated in those encounters.

If you are a ordinary law abiding person, carry what you like, you have nothing to fear.  If not, I don't sympathize.  :police:
« Last Edit: September 14, 2007, 10:11:24 PM by znapschatz »

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5 on: September 14, 2007, 11:38:58 PM
That's been my experience as well. However, get caught doing something suspicious with an illegal knife in your possession, and you've probably got some 'splaining to do!
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Reply #6 on: September 15, 2007, 04:02:19 PM
The ohio revised code is probally the most obscure governing document ever created.  There are not statutes for knife length.  There is also a very vague definition for "weapon."  If a LEO wants to take you to jail for carrying a golf pencil, he pretty much can.  Personally, I have had no problem with carrying whatever.  I had a traffic accident a month ago and when I was giving my account of the event to the officer in his car I thought that he was going to ask me to remove my multitool before getting into the car.  However, he said nothing.  Blades usually make police officers nervous but I guess that I did not seem dangerous.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #7 on: September 15, 2007, 04:56:22 PM
If a LEO wants to take you to jail for carrying a golf pencil, he pretty much can.

I have to disagree with that statement.  Unless you were threatening someone with a golf pencil (or anything else) it's unlikely that anyone would have to worry about it.  By using a catch all phrase like "weapon" you are actually allowing the populace more freedom since an object is not technically a weapon until used as such.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Reply #8 on: September 15, 2007, 06:38:45 PM
Sorry Def,

If a person were to use a golf pencil in a threatening manner or it is percieved to be a threat to the officer, is what I should have said. 

Offline znapschatz

Reply #9 on: September 16, 2007, 12:43:00 AM
The ohio revised code is probally the most obscure governing document ever created.  There are not statutes for knife length. 

There are varying local ordinances, though.  My info came from

http://www.thefiringline.com/library/blades/knifelaws.html

Please check the OH entry.  Maybe it is incomplete or out of date.  If you have more current or authoritative information differing from this, please post.

Offline Viper

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: September 17, 2007, 06:04:30 AM
I just saw an EOD PowerLock on eBay, and it is advertised that it "outperforms the Buck Bucktool".   ::)
[

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $139.46
PayPal Fees: $8.05
Net Balance: $131.41
Below Goal: $168.59
Site Currency: USD