Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Accentuate the positive!

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Accentuate the positive!
on: October 09, 2006, 04:01:39 PM
Before I lose this link again, I wanted to post it somewhere safe, where others could see it.  This is part of a blog from a SOSAK member, where he discusses some issues he had with a particular tool.

Warning, there is some foul language.  Not much, but I figure I'd better mention it just in case...

http://daremasterspoodle.blogspot.com/2006/04/one-mans-trash.html

Thanks Daremaster Spoodle, wherever you are...

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Fred

• I'm the one they call Dr FeelGood
Re: Accentuate the positive!
Reply #1 on: October 09, 2006, 05:23:53 PM
at least the pliers survived
Yabba dabba doo!

Offline damota

Reply #2 on: October 09, 2006, 09:18:18 PM
Would be a good story if there was any fact to it  :(
The copper pin is actually steel with a plated head if he had bothered to look were the tools lift out from he would see the nice shiny steel. In tool manufacture it would never be copper, brass maybe but in this case it is steel. Any threaded fitting does loosen in time if used and not not locked again, if he loosened or tightened it without using Locktite then of course it will loosen as you use it like all screws would, only difference is you can tighten it yourself when/if needed. The altenative is to have locking nuts or star washers both a bulky and costly solution.
Personly I think he has taken it to bits to get his story, that is about as good as his review of Silent Hill. His knowledge of tool maintenance is just right for someone who uses riveted tools and he should stick to them.
When Leatherman does produce its 6 pin torx screws you will find they will need Locktite when adjusted or they will loosen just the same. If he had loosened the screws on the Recoil I think he would have mentioned the plate that is the actual locking mechanism getting loose and jamming so it fails to lock. (The actual locking on Gerbers is a piece of thick steel shoved between the blade/tool and the frame)

Dave

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #3 on: October 09, 2006, 09:33:22 PM
I cant believe you know so much about Gerbers . I cant get on with them myself and wouldnt give them the time of day  :( Shame because at first they look like they have a lot to offer but ........ but lets not go there , I know there are 1 or 2 or maybe even as many as three Gerber followers on here and dont want to get drawn into an argument .Dunc

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #4 on: October 09, 2006, 09:34:49 PM
Just pulling your leg btw   ;)

Dunc

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #5 on: October 09, 2006, 09:40:28 PM
His knowledge of tool maintenance is just right for someone who uses riveted tools and he should stick to them

That's kind of the whole point of this site- letting folks know the benefits/drawbacks to each style, type and design of tools.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline damota

Reply #6 on: October 10, 2006, 01:36:36 PM
I know there are 1 or 2 or maybe even as many as three Gerber followers on here and dont want to get drawn into an argument .Dunc

LOL
The only reason I use Gerbers is that the same company imports most of the knives and all the multitools from the states and on 2 occasions 1 with my 600 plus 1 with a knife I was sent items that had been sent back to them when I bought through there retail section. So as far as I am concerned a lifetime guarantee means nothing because I would not deal with them and only buy stuff from the likes of Hienie (who gets them direct from a US company) that I know are checked. Any repairs, either we do them or they get binned. SOG has very little placement here and the only Victronix I see are the little knives. Leatherman situation may change if they are putting in 6 pin torx's, so tightening of friction loosening can be done by the owner. As far as I am concerned only with a Gerber do I know I can easily fix them.
IMO the Gerber Recoil is just a gimmick type tool but it does work within its limited size and is strong enough for its job. I had to put cross hatching on the nail nicks and it does now open one handed every tool except the scissors. The pin that was mentioned has one of the smallest circlips that I have seen out side of a camera shutter, if it ever popped off you would never find it nor would you be able to replace it. It is one of those thing that if you hold it you have to play with it and it has not loosened or popped off yet. I would not buy it again now I have the Freeman but lets be fair.

Dave

us Offline Fred

• I'm the one they call Dr FeelGood
Reply #7 on: October 12, 2006, 01:46:38 AM
damota, FELINEVET ships everywhere for members
Yabba dabba doo!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00