Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Dropped my camera

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Dropped my camera
on: September 13, 2007, 05:43:39 PM
I know, I know  :twak:

It still works, I just dropped it and the zoom was out.  Not a happy situation, that's for sure.

Of course it got me thinking that maybe I should start looking at cameras again in case I need to make an "emergency" purchase.  Here's what I like:

Minimum 8MP- mine is a 6.1, but if I have to replace it, I'll replace it with better

SD card- no other memory card will do as I have many SD's and nothing else.  All my other stuff takes SD

Minimum 10X Optical Zoom- I like to see things closely without having to leave my chair

Maximum $300- Def ain't gots no moolah.

That's pretty well all I absolutely have to have in a camera, and to be honest, I'll probably go for another Kodak, but I am open to different options.  Of course I am not heading out to buy one today, I just want a list of options before I have to.

Any suggestions?

Def

Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Re: Dropped my camera
Reply #1 on: September 13, 2007, 07:09:37 PM
Can you get all of that for $300??? 

If so, I'll buy one too!
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #2 on: September 13, 2007, 07:25:08 PM
Ooh bad luck matey :(

Good luck find a new one, even if it does me we'll get more grotty mug shot's  ;D
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: September 13, 2007, 09:47:10 PM
My camera has all that (except only 6.1MP) and it was about $300 when I bought it.  Now it's $200 and comes with a portable photo printer too.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #4 on: September 13, 2007, 11:16:51 PM
Sound's like a bargain mate :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline eodtech

• No Life Club
  • Rule #9 - Never go anywhere without a knife.
Reply #5 on: September 14, 2007, 12:30:15 AM
Panasonic FZ8

I just ordered one to replace my Sony that self destructed it's LCD screen yesterday

Review

Really big news is the inclusion of Raw shooting and a much better electronic viewfinder

ALSO

Kodak just released it's Hi Def Z812

Have fun

« Last Edit: September 14, 2008, 11:35:21 PM by eodtech »
Why do I carry a 45 ?
Because they don't make a 46 !

Offline Viper

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: September 23, 2007, 06:07:54 AM
Def-

Could you post a picture of it?

;)
[

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: September 23, 2007, 02:29:40 PM
Actually, I could since I have three digital cameras....

:P

Def

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #8 on: October 23, 2007, 11:11:33 PM
Def,

Is this the Kodak that you dropped?  Do they have an option for an accessory tube to mount around the lens?  Just curious, because this is the first thing I buy when I buy a zoom camera, for protection.  I just mount a UV filter on the end and it encases the motorized lens.  You can see examples of this in the pictures of my Canon and Olympus cameras in the "camera pictures" thread.  It's a good investment if it's possible on your camera.

As far as suggestions for a replacement camera, you are to the point where you need an SLR.  If you want 8MP and you don't want noisy pictures, you really must upgrade to SLR.  The reason is that the light sensor in "Zoom" cameras like your Kodak and my Canon IS are smaller than in SLR cameras, simply due to the size of the body of the camera.  This forces manufacturers to increase the density of the sensor to increase the MP.  The more dense the sensor, the more noise is introduced into the picture.  The larger sensor of the SLR cameras allows lower density and thus a cleaner picture.  Many of the new zooms (like Sony) have very good anti-noise algorithms to clean up the picture, but they slow down picture processing resulting in fewer fps, and the anti-noise still isn't good enough to make up the difference in sensor size (for now).
« Last Edit: October 23, 2007, 11:21:38 PM by NutSAK »
- Terry

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: October 23, 2007, 11:48:49 PM
Yeah, I'd decided that an SLR was indeed the next step- the problem is the cost.  Those buggers aren't cheap!

I'd hoped to keep this one for a few years, and so far it's showing it's age after a year.  Of course if I didn't drop it so much, then maybe it would look a little better!

There is a small adapter that screws into the lens housing that I assume is for various add ons, but I haven't explored that option much.

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%