Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Old GAKs

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Old GAKs
on: September 03, 2007, 07:06:11 PM
Image borrowed from SOSAK Online.. ;D

I was up in New Hampshire a week or so ago and found a box of about 6 of these at an Army surplus store selling for about $5-$7 a peice.  I picked out the two best looking ones for one of my little cousins and one of their friends.  The other two kids coulden't be lured away from the serrated one handed chinese knives, but I got two other kids to get GAKs ;D 

My question is, are any particular models rare?  One model my cousin had had Victorinox stamped on it (top in that pic), and the other had another logo I've never seen and had a saw cover (bottom most knife in the pic).  During the camping trip I used them for diffrent things and they felt really comfortable (I liked the scales a lot), and I liked the overall size...I should have gotten one myself :angry:

What is the going price for a decent used one online?  What do unused ones go for?
[

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Re: Old GAKs
Reply #1 on: September 03, 2007, 07:13:54 PM
Well tim's you man for nib and used stock...

http://felinevet.sosakonline.com/index.php?keyword=mauser&Search=Search&Itemid=1&option=com_phpshop&page=shop.browse

As for a price guide :-\ If it look's right and your comfortable that it's genuine, and the price seem's fair, I'd go for it :) you'll be getting a great knife!
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Reply #2 on: September 03, 2007, 07:37:39 PM
I've still got the Mauser officer's that my parents got for my 17th or 18th birthday, and a small scar on the palm of my hand to prove it ::)

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #3 on: September 03, 2007, 08:21:36 PM
The old GAKs are finally drying up, but they used to be available by the tonne.  Felinevet had a bunch of them in a while back and was selling them for around $8 each.  Finding them unused was a bit of a challenge though, although many were kept in decent enough shape.

The thing you have to look out for was who made them:

http://www.sosakonline.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=30&Itemid=35

Victorinox was only one of many manufacturers producing virtually identical knives for the German Army, plus as with anything reasonably successful, copycats were abound as well.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
Reply #4 on: September 04, 2007, 06:07:34 AM
   You chose well...the 108mm knives are some of the best ever made by anybody.One of their strong points is how pocket friendly they are to be a largish sized folder.My favorite is a Mauser that needed to be re-habbed,and Scibeer,one of the best modders out there,rehabbed and rescaled it in high-viz Micarta scales.
  At least a couple SOSAKers will go woods walking with nothing more than a GAK,...or Safari/Trooper equivalent,and a Scandi of some kind,and not feel under equipped.
I

Offline RedRamage

Reply #5 on: September 04, 2007, 02:54:31 PM
Wow, I thought the GAKs always had the wood saw on 'em.  I guess you really *do* learn something new every day!  Except for yesterday... I didn't learn anything new then.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #6 on: September 04, 2007, 03:57:58 PM
Those are saws, only with a sheetmetal cover over the teeth.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline RedRamage

Reply #7 on: September 04, 2007, 04:11:15 PM
Oh... um, I knew that.  I was, ah, just, um testing too see if everyone else was, ah, paying attention.  Yeah... I knew... I truly believe that I knew it such as and.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #8 on: September 04, 2007, 06:22:43 PM
 :D

If anyone needs to know something, just ask my kids. They know everything.  ::)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Reply #9 on: September 07, 2007, 06:28:19 PM
Cool knives.  I have been meaning to pick one of those up.  However, the last time that I went to a gun show was a long time ago and even when there I lose focus by being distracted by other appealing stimuli.

us Offline felinevet

• Banner Member
  • No Life Club
Reply #10 on: September 08, 2007, 05:50:34 PM
Cool knives.  I have been meaning to pick one of those up.  However, the last time that I went to a gun show was a long time ago and even when there I lose focus by being distracted by other appealing stimuli.

I still have a few available (without saw covers) in pretty good shape. Contact me if interested.
T

Offline jock1

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: September 13, 2007, 07:53:16 PM
I lent my Mauser to my sister back in the 80's and she has very kindly volunteered to return it to me it's a mixed blessing on one hand I will have a great knife but on the downside I dread to think what bloody state it's in after 20 years of neglect
I may have to turn to you guys or SOSAK for the renovation work

Offline zackhugh

Reply #12 on: September 13, 2007, 09:13:17 PM
I don't know.  Unless she really abused it, SAKs are pretty solid and tend not to corrode much.  There's already a thread on rehabbing old tools somewhere.

Ah, here it is:

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,1559.0.html
« Last Edit: September 13, 2007, 09:15:02 PM by zackhugh »

Reply #13 on: September 13, 2007, 10:42:36 PM
I lent my Mauser to my sister back in the 80's and she has very kindly volunteered to return it to me it's a mixed blessing on one hand I will have a great knife but on the downside I dread to think what bloody state it's in after 20 years of neglect
I may have to turn to you guys or SOSAK for the renovation work
I would'nt worry to much, SAK's are pretty much rust proof, so unless she's been using the blade's as screwdrivers :o, your probably pretty safe :)

Plus if it is pretty mangled, you could try and return it to victorinox and they might give you a replacement (probably not a mauser though :cry:)

Uk importers are...http://www.burton-mccall.co.uk/brands.html

Offline jock1

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: September 14, 2007, 12:10:24 AM
Cheers Guys
I will update you all when I have hands on hope this makes sense as i've had a few  :cheers:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%