Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Squirt ES4/PS4 Owner's Club

Andreas · 364 · 68243

us Offline New_World

• No Life Club
  • I EDC a cell phone
Re: Squirt ES4/PS4 Owner's Club
Reply #90 on: February 23, 2011, 12:13:00 AM
^Your file tipped with Philips/small screwdriver has some hinge play to it?  ??? Mine seems quite solid. Their 25 yr warranty is probably still in effect, I'd send it in for repair/exchange. They tend to have a no questions asked policy according to every post I've ever read about them, not that I've ever had any issues myself.

yep, has some play...quite a bit.
everything else works great on it.

I might send it in but not anytime soon unless it breaks.
Quality Control
Materials
Design

Offline Cleanser

Reply #91 on: February 25, 2011, 05:52:15 PM
Hi guys,
New member here.

I found this forum when searching to find a PS4 with screws and not rivets.  I finally got my PS4 with screws. I wanted to let those who may still be searching for a ps4 with screws know how I got mine. I bought a "leatherman ps4 with gift tin" in an attempt to find a ps4 with screws and was glad to see it had them. The ps4 with gift tin is a bit more pricey, but I used a coupon.  I'm not sure if other people will have the same results or if I just got lucky.. but I wanted to share the info. 

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #92 on: February 25, 2011, 06:58:01 PM
Good to have you here Cleanser.. :tu:
Any plans for a PS4 mod then?

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #93 on: February 25, 2011, 07:29:59 PM
welcome to the forum Cleanser. :cheers:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

Offline Cleanser

Reply #94 on: February 25, 2011, 07:31:20 PM
Good to have you here Cleanser.. :tu:
Any plans for a PS4 mod then?

Hi, thanks for the welcome.  I had / have plans to replace the file with a serrated blade from another mini multitool (ill post a picture of that tool later because as far as I can tell it is a very uncommon tool).  However, my most recent mod attempt on a victorinox resulted in a completely broken knife.. so I won't be making mod attempts until I build up more courage or stupidity. :)

ca Offline JackNate

Reply #95 on: February 27, 2011, 05:38:38 PM
I regretted buying the PS4, but it's kinda growing on me every time I use it.

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #96 on: March 01, 2011, 02:55:34 AM
I got a PS4 last summer as my first pliers based multitool. I immediately attached it to my keys and found that it came in handy on many occasions. A week or two after I got it the following incident occurred:

(I posted this story on another forum on 06-20-2010 and just copied and pasted it here)

This being New York City, I don't usually keep tools in my car, so today when I went to move my car to the other side of the street and found that the linkage behind the ignition lock cylinder had broken, rendering the car inoperable, I found myself in a bit of a jam. I did thankfully have a Squirt PS4 attached to my keys. First order of business, pull lock cylinder. I scrounged up a paper clip from the glove compartment and after 20 minutes of cursing finally got the cylinder to pop out. Next step, remove shift lock cable from the housing so I could put the car in Drive. The little pliers on the Squirt easily unbolted the cable. Then I used the pliers to extract the remains of the cracked rod inside. After a little inspection it was clear I'd never be able to turn the engine over without a long properly sized screwdriver, so I chose option two - hot wire the car. I used the little screwdriver on the squirt to pry off the cover on the underside of the steering column. Then I used the wire cutters to cut the four wires off the broken ignition housing. I then used the little knife blade to trim off the rubber on the ends of the wires and played around with them till I figured out how to get the engine to turn over. I used the pliers to twist the hot lead and two other wires together tightly and touched the fourth wire to the group and voila the car started up. Now all I had to do was press on the end of the shift lock cable and put the car in drive and then stick my finger down the tube which had housed the lock cylinder and release the steering lock. I then drove the car to the other side of the street, thereby avoiding a ticket tomorrow morning.

I've carried the PS4 religiously ever since and used it numerous times. It's a great little tool :salute:

Offline arab

Reply #97 on: March 01, 2011, 10:35:45 AM
Using Andreas' ideas, I received a "donor" Squirt S4 yesterday from Ebay and cannibalised it last night for some replacement parts for my PS4 (Pivots - again, thanks Andreas!). The swap-out resulted in my PS4 having a S4 nailfile.

My engineering skills are primitive but what I lack in ability I make up for with enthusiasm. After some butchering (Using drills, chisels, nail & hammer - the S4 rivets are strong!) I eventually released the S4 nailfile from it's rivet grip. Some quick work on the PS4 (Pivots are SO much handier than rivets) and I now have a bespoke PS4; My nails can now be manicured just as they were when I had my SAK Rambler.

I want to thank everybody who contributed to this forum and this thread for inspiring me. I want to thank my Mom and my Dad. I want to thank my brother for inspiring me to just go out there and enjoy my SAKs. I want to <SORRY TIME UP>  :cheers:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #98 on: March 01, 2011, 07:24:18 PM
Sounds excellent arab, can we get some pics?  (we like pics  :D)

Offline arab

Reply #99 on: March 02, 2011, 05:15:28 PM
Here it is:

I haven't included a picture of the butchered S4. Or my thumb which I pierced with one of the Torx drivers  :o

The S4 is now retired with my PD4 file "installed". I don't know if I will use the other tools - certainly the scissors looks very good, but how do I put it back together? I emailed knifekits.com about the shipping charges ($31.64 :rant:) for their 1/8" X 1/2" Pivot Barrel and screw kit but they haven't replied.

Does anybody know of a cheaper way of getting these to me in Ireland?
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 06:09:31 PM by arab »

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #100 on: March 02, 2011, 06:00:02 PM
I like that a lot. :tu:  I'm really not a fan of the wood/metal file you get as standard, it's just too short to be of much use IMO, so your solution makes more sense to me. :)

us Offline ari6126

• No Life Club
  • Colors!
Reply #101 on: March 02, 2011, 08:48:01 PM

Send it to someone in the US then have them forward it. PM me if you want me to do it.

Offline arab

Reply #102 on: March 02, 2011, 11:20:39 PM

Send it to someone in the US then have them forward it. PM me if you want me to do it.

That's a very kind offer. Before I consider ordering them, does anybody here know if they will actually work in place of my old rivet: I'm not allowed to post a link, but you will see what I am looking for at knifekits.com, product DRSPB8

us Offline ari6126

• No Life Club
  • Colors!
Reply #103 on: March 02, 2011, 11:29:36 PM

That's a very kind offer. Before I consider ordering them, does anybody here know if they will actually work in place of my old rivet: I'm not allowed to post a link, but you will see what I am looking for at knifekits.com, product DRSPB8

I don't know the answer to your question but why can't you post a link?

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #104 on: March 02, 2011, 11:32:18 PM

There's a little bit of software now that stops newbies from posting links.  It's nothing against arab, it's to stop spammers and spam bots.  Any real members (like arab) will very quickly rack up enough posts. :tu:

us Offline ari6126

• No Life Club
  • Colors!
Reply #105 on: March 02, 2011, 11:33:43 PM

There's a little bit of software now that stops newbies from posting links.  It's nothing against arab, it's to stop spammers and spam bots.  Any real members (like arab) will very quickly rack up enough posts. :tu:

Got it.

us Offline The Shadow

Reply #106 on: March 08, 2011, 10:16:55 PM
Just got a new ES4!  Great little tool.  Am I in the club?

This being New York City, I don't usually keep tools in my car, so today when I went to move my car to the other side of the street and found that the linkage behind the ignition lock cylinder had broken, rendering the car inoperable, I found myself in a bit of a jam.

I then drove the car to the other side of the street, thereby avoiding a ticket tomorrow morning.

Great story!  I had to hot-wire my old car once, but it was to get home. It's funny that you had to do it - just to avoid the ticket.  Typical NYC story, just like taking a subway to get back to your car (when you couldn't find a closer spot).
Who knows...

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #107 on: March 09, 2011, 03:43:11 AM
It's funny that you had to do it - just to avoid the ticket.  Typical NYC story, just like taking a subway to get back to your car (when you couldn't find a closer spot).

LOL, New York City is like another planet  :)

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #108 on: March 09, 2011, 08:39:29 PM
Welcome to the club Shadow. :D

au Offline Cyclone82

Reply #109 on: March 11, 2011, 02:05:04 PM
I didn't realize how small these are. I think i will end up getting one of the pliers version. Quick question, is it pretty safe to get one off ebay? eg i don't have to worry about picking up a fake one? and Is it hard to find them with screws instread of rivets now. ive seen them around $35 USD, Is that an average price?
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 02:13:16 PM by Cyclone82 »

Offline Cleanser

Reply #110 on: March 11, 2011, 04:01:16 PM
I didn't realize how small these are. I think i will end up getting one of the pliers version. Quick question, is it pretty safe to get one off ebay? eg i don't have to worry about picking up a fake one? and Is it hard to find them with screws instread of rivets now. ive seen them around $35 USD, Is that an average price?

A new one can be picked up from many online stores for $25 USD or less (see amazon). Finding one with screws is very difficult, you will either have to buy one used off ebay (making sure the gallery image is of the ACTUAL item being sold) or try your luck buying them from small online / local retailers who may have old stock. I haven't heard of fake PS4s.

au Offline Cyclone82

Reply #111 on: March 11, 2011, 04:13:29 PM
Thanks, just read this thead and watched some vids. If any one knows where to get screw types then let me know. I asked one ebay seller but i bet they are using a stock/old photo. Also do the older P4's have rivets or screws?
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 04:15:11 PM by Cyclone82 »

Offline Cleanser

Reply #112 on: March 11, 2011, 04:31:19 PM
As I posted a little bit ago, I got my leatherman ps4 with screws by buying one in a gift tin (but I can't confirm if all that are in gift tins have screws).

Or...
ebay has one. However, this one is personalized with advertisement on it.

I'm 99% sure it will actually have screws since it is being resold from another auction I bid on and lost. The original auction also showed screws. (I wish I could post links!)

P4 have rivets

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #113 on: March 11, 2011, 07:11:58 PM
Thanks, just read this thead and watched some vids. If any one knows where to get screw types then let me know. I asked one ebay seller but i bet they are using a stock/old photo. Also do the older P4's have rivets or screws?

All the older Squirts P4, S4 and E4 had rivets not screws.

If you drop our member Travis Autry a PM he'll get you a good price on a Squirt and might be able to tell you if it's riveted or screwed (though don't hold me to that, he might not  :D).

au Offline Cyclone82

Reply #114 on: March 12, 2011, 07:14:02 AM
Thanks. might try that. Undecided on colour though :-\

One ebay seller got back to me. Photo showed screws, but they said it had rivets.

us Offline New_World

• No Life Club
  • I EDC a cell phone
Reply #115 on: March 12, 2011, 08:13:08 AM
I want to join. =)
Quality Control
Materials
Design

au Offline Cyclone82

Reply #116 on: March 17, 2011, 09:55:10 AM
Well looks like im a member now. I have got a blue PS4 with screws comming. I still want a black and a red though.

How many colours do they come in?

us Offline New_World

• No Life Club
  • I EDC a cell phone
Reply #117 on: March 17, 2011, 10:08:36 AM
i think the s4 and p4 come in red, blue, black, and pink.

the ps4 come in red, black, and blue.

thats just my guess.

I bet the leatherman website says it....but its late...I'm off to bed!
Quality Control
Materials
Design

us Offline Mike 208

Reply #118 on: March 21, 2011, 12:44:35 AM
I joined the club yesterday - got a black Ps4.

au Offline Cyclone82

Reply #119 on: March 25, 2011, 09:37:33 AM
I got my first leatherman today. A blue PS4 with screws :tu:

Negative comments I had read before were

- pliers are to tight/hard to open
- screwdrivers are too hard to access

Here are my thoughts

Overall quality fairly good. Yes the screw drivers and most of the other tools are a little hard to access the nail slots. I can get them no worries so this is not an issue for me and i only cut my nails yesterday and like them really short. The blade is quite sharp, actually very sharp, a lot sharper than I was expecting. I can shave with it. Its only sharpened on one side so im not sure what the deal with that is.

Things I don’t like are the scissors are very floppy/loose at the center rivet. The lever you press on feels like its going to fall off the rivet, its that loose. Im disappointed in that and a bit scared to use them really as the hand lever seems like its just dangling there. No where near the same quality as Victorinox classic scissors. The scissors also seem to scrape/hit something when I try to fold them back into the handle. I think they are just a tight fit with not much clearance. It’s not a major issue for me though.

The second thing I was disappointed in was that the main rivet joint for the pliers is a bit loose and there is sideways movement in the 2 plier jaws. I was expecting not to have this in a ‘quality’ brand of pliers. Maybe its just mine or maybe they are all like that? At least the needle nose tips do line up though.

The last thing is that the pliers don’t close right up. There is a gap so it would only clamp and hold something 0.50-0.75mm. This might be normal or it may not be but I certainly wont be able to hold any real thin things.

I tried the wire cutters on some thin wire  maybe about 0.50 thickness. I would be a bit worried about trying anything more than small paper clip thickness. The pliers just seem a bit weak/vulnerable mainly due to how thin they are so you could only use these for very light work like electronics I reckon. The cutters would be good for circuit board work.

Overall I would say the quality is not as good as Victorinox. I have some Gerbers coming next week so it will be interesting to see how it compares to those.

I dont expect the blue annodized finish to last but when it does rub off you could either polish the handles or bead blast them to make them look better. I like the spring action of the pliers.

I am pretty happy with the PS4 and the main things I don’t like are the sloppy/loose scissor pivot and the loose plier pivot.

Would I buy another one? Yes I would so I could compare it to another to see if I got a dud but I wont pay the high price I paid for this one. I would like to get a red and black one to go with my blue one.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 09:40:53 AM by Cyclone82 »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD