Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Leatherman Wave, opening tools issues

ufox9al · 25 · 13560

ca Offline ufox9al

Leatherman Wave, opening tools issues
on: September 14, 2007, 08:40:24 PM
Hi, all,
The Wave was on sale at my local store, so I picked it up. I never owned a Leatherman multitool before, and so I was not familiar with the way the tools are stored in a handle. And, of course, a smart person would have found a store that has a demo, but I just got mine in a blister pack and had no change to try it out before buying. I heard so many good things about the tool, that I assumed I wil love it...
Finally, to the question. Why are the tools stored inside the handle are so hard to get out? The nail nicks are tiny, the springs (or friction) make the opening of, for example scissors, an adventure. Am I too spoiled by a Swisstool? I like the one-handed blades, but the getting file out is also a pain.
On another note, the edges of the handles next to the knife blades, saw, and file have relatively sharp edges. I don't think they will cut through skin, but scratches seem to be guaranteed. I guess I could take a file to them.
And, for my final question, is anyone interested in a new Wave, barely out of a box?  :angry:
Alexei
-------
Alexei

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Re: Leatherman Wave, opening tools issues
Reply #1 on: September 14, 2007, 08:46:45 PM
Hi, all,
The Wave was on sale at my local store, so I picked it up. I never owned a Leatherman multitool before, and so I was not familiar with the way the tools are stored in a handle. And, of course, a smart person would have found a store that has a demo, but I just got mine in a blister pack and had no change to try it out before buying. I heard so many good things about the tool, that I assumed I wil love it...
Finally, to the question. Why are the tools stored inside the handle are so hard to get out? The nail nicks are tiny, the springs (or friction) make the opening of, for example scissors, an adventure. Am I too spoiled by a Swisstool? I like the one-handed blades, but the getting file out is also a pain.
On another note, the edges of the handles next to the knife blades, saw, and file have relatively sharp edges. I don't think they will cut through skin, but scratches seem to be guaranteed. I guess I could take a file to them.
And, for my final question, is anyone interested in a new Wave, barely out of a box?  :angry:
Alexei
I'm sorry to hear your having trouble's with your wave, I'm sure it'll get better with some use :)

Maybe if you open and close the tools they'll loosen up a bit.

The swisstool is a very hard act to follow's so maybe you just need a bit of time to bond with the wave, failing that I'm sure you'd have no problem's selling it here :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline NeitherExtreme

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #2 on: September 14, 2007, 08:59:42 PM
Hmm... If the pivots really are too tight, I'd say its a warrenty issue, and you should be able to get that fixed or replaced. I would expect that it will loosen up on its own with a little use & a few drops of oil. OTOH, Swisstools are know for having the best fit/finish in the Multi-Tool world, hands down. So if it's just that its not as "perfect" as the Vic, well thats quite possibly true. And although I hope you end up liking the tool, I would guess micky's right and you'd be able to find a buyer somewhere around :)

gb Offline Roadie

• No Life Club
  • Hello...is this thing on?
Reply #3 on: September 14, 2007, 09:06:43 PM
See i would have said it is harder to get the tools out on the swisstool than my wave...but it may just take a bit of time and use before the tools on the wave are easy to get at, try and spend a while just opening and closing the tools and they should loosen up a bit.

The edges on the handles haven't given me any scratches but i'll agree that they aren't the most comfortable of my multitools.

Roadie
Life is like a sandwich...the older it gets the crustier it becomes!

Reply #4 on: September 14, 2007, 09:07:15 PM
Hmm... If the pivots really are too tight, I'd say its a warrenty issue, and you should be able to get that fixed or replaced. I would expect that it will loosen up on its own with a little use & a few drops of oil. OTOH, Swisstools are know for having the best fit/finish in the Multi-Tool world, hands down. So if it's just that its not as "perfect" as the Vic, well thats quite possibly true. And although I hope you end up liking the tool, I would guess micky's right and you'd be able to find a buyer somewhere around :)
I hadn't considered that it could be a warrenty issue, maybe you should try and compare it with another wave if you can, to see if your's is a rogue :)

Reply #5 on: September 14, 2007, 09:10:35 PM
See i would have said it is harder to get the tools out on the swisstool than my wave...but it may just take a bit of time and use before the tools on the wave are easy to get at, try and spend a while just opening and closing the tools and they should loosen up a bit.

The edges on the handles haven't given me any scratches but i'll agree that they aren't the most comfortable of my multitools.

Roadie
Well I've not got a wave to compare it too, but if it's harder than a swisstool, then the fella's got problem's ;)

ca Offline ufox9al

Reply #6 on: September 14, 2007, 09:26:42 PM
Thanks very much, guys, for your comments. I am impressed by how quickly you reacted, and the quality of the responses. The "up for sale" comment was really tongue-in-cheek, and I am planning to give the wave a chance. I DO like one-hand opening blades, the pliers, and the scredriver with changeable bits. I think the real issue I have is with the actual design in that the nail nicks for in-the-handle tools (including the screwdriver) is are at the edge of the tools (not the side, like on the swisstool) and very close to the pivot, which gives no leverage for getting them out (on the swisstool I can get out the saw, the file and some other tools just by pushing my finget into the approximate area of the nail nick and the friction is enough to tget the tool up to a point where it can be grabbed by fingers. As for the file on the wave, the nich is at the end opposite the pivot, but there is a portion of the case which, again, creates a very narrow opening to get my finger/nail into.
I think I will feed it some oil and see if it decides to co-operate with me better  ;)
Alexei
-------
Alexei

us Offline NeitherExtreme

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #7 on: September 14, 2007, 09:35:36 PM
Hopefully it loosens up for you. I think I do know what you mean though, I just remembered how it took a while for me to get used to opening the implements on my Charge when I got it. Those inside tools are definetly a different motion than opening a slipjoint style knife. I don't use the nail-knicks (is that the right word?) to open them the whole way either, just to get them out of the tool.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #8 on: September 15, 2007, 12:27:22 AM
I wonder if the rocker switches are dragging too heavily? 

ufox9al, try fully depressing the lock switch with your thumb while unfolding the scissors or the bit drivers. Does that make a difference?
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #9 on: September 15, 2007, 01:22:51 AM
Depending on the Torx screws used I think the new Wave ises T-10 wich are available at most auto parts stores/hardware stores), you can also lossen the actual bolt that holds the tools together.
[

Offline trickknife

• Deputy Dog
Reply #10 on: September 15, 2007, 01:50:05 AM
Do you have an other Wave.  The new Waves came out in 2005, but the older ones are still around.  My old wave had much stiffer blades.  My new model wave is much much better.

If it is a new one, bummer.....oil is the key and lots of working it out.
-

ca Offline ufox9al

Reply #11 on: September 15, 2007, 02:13:51 AM
I am not sure how old is the model I got. Theoretically it should be post-2005, but who knows? Is there a way to check? I am sad to report that after adding some lube and working the implements thigs did not really improve. I can get the large bit holder out without breaking my nail, but the scissors, small bit holder, and flat scredriver are a murder. Holding down the lock does not help, th eproblemseemsto be the tightness of the pivots. So, my options are: get a security torx bit (will probably not be my first choice, since without the springs, the friction seems to be the only thing that keeps the tools from falling out), grow out some thumb nails, use car keys, add a dedicated "knife pick" to the keyring, use the nail file on my Rambler SAK, or just forget about bits and scissors, anduse it as pliers with 2 blades (open smoothly, BTW), a saw, and a file.
Thanks again to everyone for excellent suggestions!
Alexei
-------
Alexei

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #12 on: September 15, 2007, 02:32:11 AM
Is there a way to check?

yup, pull out the tools, and on the inside of the handle should be 4 numbers:  month/year   So it would look something like "0206"...and check both handles..sometimes they were produced at diffrent times. :multi:
[

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #13 on: September 15, 2007, 03:07:54 AM
The bit driver device means it is a "New Wave"

Sounds like you've narrowed the problem down to friction then. I've recently disassembled and reassembled a bunch of Leatherman Charges, very same mechanism as your New Wave. I can say from experience that it takes very little tension on the pivot screws to cause the blades to become tight. The difference between "just right" and "too tight" can be as little as 1/4 of a turn on the pivot screws.

So the big question: does your Wave have 5-star Torx screws, or 6-stars?
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

ca Offline ufox9al

Reply #14 on: September 15, 2007, 03:14:55 AM
Thanks for the info on manufacture date. It is "0607" which means that it is either hot off the press, or just over a year old.
Also, thanks for the info on pivot tightening. The torx screws are 6 stars with a pin in the middle. the end screws, which are tight are smaller than the pliers/blades screws. are they #10 or smaller? I guess I can just carry the wave with me to the store and check the sizes on the spot.
-------
Alexei

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #15 on: September 15, 2007, 04:44:22 AM
The torx screws are 6 stars with a pin in the middle.

:ahhh

You might have to order them online, or buy them from someone here.
[

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #16 on: September 15, 2007, 04:48:11 AM
One last point on pivot screw loosening:

It is VERY important not to strip out the flats on the crossholes in the frame.

Long story, but the pivot axle isn't completely round; it has two flats on it. The crossholes through the frame are also flattened, to match. This keeps the axle from rotating when you fold out a tool, which in turn prevents the "clumping" that used to occur on most multitools ten years ago. If you rotate the wrong torx screw-head, it will strip the flattened holes. (Been there, done that!)

Check out the picture below. The screw on the left is actually the flattened axle. It needs to be held steady. (Not at all difficult to do)
The screw on the right is the real screw. Try loosening it about 1/4 turn. (Not difficult either) That should solve the opening problems.

Bob

* New Wave screws.jpg (Filesize: 73.03 KB)

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #17 on: September 15, 2007, 04:49:42 AM
The torx screws are 6 stars with a pin in the middle.

You might have to order them online, or buy them from someone here.

I've been seeing 6-star security bits everywhere. Even my local hardware store has them now. (Wish the 5-stars were as easy to find)

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #18 on: September 15, 2007, 01:25:44 PM
Where would your Wave be if it weren't for Victorinox?  That wrench and ratchet look awfully familiar!  :grin:

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #19 on: September 15, 2007, 04:06:59 PM
I had the same problem with mine. Send it to warranty and they will replace it.
B

ca Offline ufox9al

Reply #20 on: September 15, 2007, 04:33:47 PM
I had the same problem with mine. Send it to warranty and they will replace it.
Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, sending it in under warrantly would be my last resort, because shipping charges from Ontario, Canada (expecially for trackable package) would most likely be much more than the cost of 2 torx security bits. Plus, if I get the bits, I would get to keep them for future adjustments  :)
-------
Alexei

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #21 on: September 15, 2007, 04:58:52 PM
Not really- you could probably just drive it there.  Leatherman's Canadian representative is Eastern Outdoor Sales in Oakville:

166 South Service Road East
Oakville, Ontario
Canada L6J 2X5

TEL: 905-825-3103
FAX: 905-847-3047
eosi@sympatico.ca

Def

Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ca Offline ufox9al

Reply #22 on: September 16, 2007, 02:13:21 AM
Thanks, Def! I will give them a call. I do hope it is a service centre, not just a sales office!
-------
Alexei

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #23 on: September 16, 2007, 03:27:40 AM
Nope- they handle all warranty claims in Canada.

Def

ph Offline edap617

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: September 21, 2007, 03:49:54 AM
Thanks for letting us know that the 4 digits number inside the handle of the Wave stands for month and year. My Wave has this marking "1206".

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%