Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Just got a Skeletool

joea · 17 · 3026

au Offline joea

Just got a Skeletool
on: September 11, 2010, 04:32:45 AM
Hello to everyone,
                         Just got a new Skeletool (about a week ago) and I'm still in the honeymoon period  :o so I'm not keen to go out and give it any hard work just yet. So I was wondering if anyone who has had one for a while, has got any stories on what the Skeletool can stand up to? The pliers look smaller than what I'm used to (Leatherman Kick) so has anyone broken theirs, or have they been surprised what they can do?
Look forward to hearing anyone's opinions/stories  ??? Cheers, Joe.

us Offline waveman7

Re: Just got a Skeletool
Reply #1 on: September 11, 2010, 04:59:05 AM
Howzit Joe, congrats on the skeletool.  I don't want to scare you but I did manage to snap the pliers on my original skeletool.  I was pretty much my fault, not the tools.  I was trying to bend a bent screw tab on a 4x4 inch electrical junction box.  Pretty much stainless steel.  Instead of applying pressure along the length of the jaws I tried to twist the tool to make the tab straight and the jaws snapped right off right above the pivot point.  Out of curiosity, when I got my warranty replacement I tried to do the same thing again, this time applying pressure along the jaws and the tab straightened right out.

Other than that my subsequent tools have all stood up to any punishment I've put it through.

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: September 11, 2010, 05:52:14 AM
I have heard of the Skeletool pliers breaking more often than other tools, however I just got my Skeletool a couple days ago and I don't worry about it. I think a lot of people are just using them harder than they are meant to be. So long as you don't do anything dumb with them (I mean seriously, look at how small they are) then I don't think you'll have any problems. Also: Never, ever use them in a twisting motion like waveman said lol. Besides, it's a Leatherman-if they do break they'll take care of it.

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #3 on: September 11, 2010, 02:08:26 PM
I've used a skeletool exclusively for a while (not recently though) and after they first came out I used the tool very hard. I mainly use my tool for working on stuff like floor machine at work and stuff. Never had a problem with the pliers not being strong enough. There were times I expected something to snap but it took the usage rather well. Now try the Crucial and do the same things and I would expect it to fail. Leatherman makes good pliers, I have never had any issues with them snapping but then again I don't use them hard enough to do that. Plus I avoid the twisting motion and stuff, always thinking smarter not harder.  ;)

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: September 11, 2010, 03:52:23 PM
They are a nice tool , as long as you stay within the safe operating envelope of the pliers . I wouldn't be trying to cut chain link fence with them .

Chris

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Reply #5 on: September 11, 2010, 03:54:28 PM
First off, congrats on your purchase of a Skele!  Long story short, I had a stainless one and sold it and it's been a big regret of mine.  SO, I have a Sheletool CX on the way and can't wait.  What I can tell you is the screwdriver works very good and the knife blade is ideal.  Overall ergonomics of it closed are awesome but one small hangup is the plier grip while open takes a little getting used to.  As per the pliers, they seem adequate for many tasks but I want to address breakage:  I broke the jaw clean off of my SOG PowerLock while bending a piece of metal!  It surprised the hell outta me when that jaw went shooting across the room but what the powerlock failed at, my SURGE succeeded - and that is in no way a cut on SOG, I love SOG products - my point being pliers on multitools can and will break.  I'm sure I could have broken the Surge had I tried hard enough but back to the point...  Enjoy your new Skeletool and don't be afraid to push it to it's limits as LM has an excellent warranty  :cheers:
SAW

us Offline waveman7

Reply #6 on: September 11, 2010, 09:15:28 PM
Enjoy your new Skeletool and don't be afraid to push it to it's limits as LM has an excellent warranty  :cheers:

When my pliers snapped, I did some research.  Sent in the tool in the next day, got it back about 8 days later fully replaced.  Leatherman Warranty = Awesome.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #7 on: September 11, 2010, 09:22:38 PM
For routine EDC, my Skeletool is my first choice because of the function/size ratio.  If I'm doing heavy duty work, I may take a Surge, but generally use a Charge.  For electrical work, I really like my Charge.

For hiking, outdoors work and camping, Skeletool is my favorite.

I think the Skeletool is my overall favorite since the original PST

Offline Andreas

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: September 11, 2010, 09:28:13 PM
For routine EDC, my Skeletool is my first choice because of the function/size ratio. 

Ironically, that's why I carry a PS4. I used to carry the Skeletool, but I don't trust the pliers any more than I trust the pliers on the PS4 and so I might as well go down in size and way up in functionality

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #9 on: September 11, 2010, 09:30:27 PM
Yes, but I like the bit-driver capability of the Skeletool, and those bits take a fair amount of torque.
SAW

Offline Andreas

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: September 11, 2010, 09:33:27 PM
My PS4 can actually use more bits than my Skeletool, but indeed can't handle as much torque.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #11 on: September 12, 2010, 02:28:47 AM
My PS4 can actually use more bits than my Skeletool, but indeed can't handle as much torque.

The PS4 can use Allen bits and Torx bits?  I didn't know that.

au Offline MultiMat

• The MTO handshake.
Reply #12 on: September 12, 2010, 04:34:24 AM
G'day & welcome Joe  :D :D.

I really like my Skeletool + they have a very cool bottle opener  :tu:, great for impressing your mates at a BBQ  ;) :D :D.

I think the pliers are in the same category as Leatherman's Juice pliers , that is medium too light duty so if you are really needing to crank  on something I would stick to your Kick or get a Surge  :pok: :D :D.
I think I remember reading Kwakster saying he thought the blade hole cut outs lead too blade failure/breakage  :think:, Kwakster used to fix Leatherman for a quid.
When it comes too the crunch LM has a very good warranty service so Joe use that Skelly with out fear & if it breaks you will get a new one   :D :D

Welcome to MTO too mate  :D :D

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

Offline Andreas

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: September 12, 2010, 09:07:15 AM

The PS4 can use Allen bits and Torx bits?  I didn't know that.

Well, mine can  :ahhh
http://andreasodegard.com/2010/09/leatherman-squirt-bit-and-microbit-adapters/
I mostly use small bits these days so having it use microbits (torx as low as T4, phillips as low as 000 etc) is more useful to me than the skeletool's normal hex bits

us Offline Pacu

Reply #14 on: September 12, 2010, 09:31:46 AM
WTG on your new multi :)

I love my freestyle..guess i need to step up and get a skele
then send it to Evil for mods >:D
:like:    :MTO:

au Offline joea

Reply #15 on: September 12, 2010, 10:18:38 AM
Thanks for the feedback. I think I'll stick to the Kick for heavier jobs. But I've always got the Leatherman warranty to fall back on if I do break the Skeletool.  :D Cheers, Joe.

Offline Andreas

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: September 12, 2010, 10:21:55 AM
Probably the best. My Skeletool pliers broke trying to bend a metal part of a window lock

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91
Net Balance: $73.25
Below Goal: $226.75
Site Currency: USD
24%