Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

A sweet new Rough Rider!

2xTap · 17 · 4776

us Offline 2xTap

• No Life Club
  • Slipjoint Fanatic!
A sweet new Rough Rider!
on: September 11, 2010, 06:57:24 AM
This one came in last week with a bunch of other toys I bought. While I like their slippies I have never payed all that much attention to RR's lockbacks. But when they released this last week it definitely caught my attention. Mainly because of the style as it somewhat resembles a line from Moki I really like.

It's the Rough Rider model #1020 Lockback.

This thing sits in at 4 inches closed, the liners and lockbar are stainless steel and it's all held together with Torx bolts. And as you can see from the pics it's major outstanding feature is the blade and bolsters. These are made of San-Mai Damascus. To quote SMKW's these consist of "a core of carbon steel. Sixteen layers of spring steel are then folded around the core, creating a "sandwich" of thirty two layers for strength and rigidity." In my spine shot below of the bolsters and blade you can see this "core" they mention..........

While I am not a fan of carbon steel in pocketknives I can not deny that this some good looking stuff. This thing is definitely not your average Rough Rider! The scales on this lockback are Jigged Brown Bone, but they look more like Chestnut Bone to me. The color is a bit different than some of their other patterns done in Brown Bone.

And while Rough Rider has developed a reputation for quality build at a cheap price this particular one sports a F&F that is quite superb. The knife is rock solid tight with nary a gap to be found anywhere. The blade opens smoothly although locks up vault tight. And while the spring bar is stout it isn't difficult to disengage. The blade is sans any play of any kind in the locked position, the blade grinds are perfect, the edge bevels are clean and evenly ground and the edge itself is shaving sharp.

The fit of the bolsters and scales to the liners is nearly seamless. And the fit between the bolsters and scales themselves is likewise. You can just barely feel the transition between the two when sliding your fingers along the knife. The overall fit is real good..........

It is truely an impressive little lockback pocket knife. And to then take into account the steel used in this thing and the quality of it's fit and finish.......and at a lowly price of $24.99 a piece, these are quite possibly the best deal out there in any form of pocket cutlery. I highly recommend anybody who has the chance to get one of these to go get one. It is a impressive knife for the money.

2xTap
Knives, Watches, and Flashlights are like Guns......you can never have too many!

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: A sweet new Rough Rider!
Reply #1 on: September 11, 2010, 07:03:42 AM
Pretty! Nothing on ebay thou.  :(

00 Offline Freudian Frog

• No Life Club
  • I just don't know what went wrong.
Reply #2 on: September 11, 2010, 07:23:45 AM
OH MY GOD I HATE YOU.

*adds to list of random Rough Rider knives to try*
Got those frog legs.

us Offline 2xTap

• No Life Club
  • Slipjoint Fanatic!
Reply #3 on: September 11, 2010, 07:49:22 AM
jzmtl,

These just came out last week, that I can tell only Smoky Mountain Knife Works currently has them. But they should soon be popping up at other RR dealers.

FF,

Here's another new Rough Rider you need to try out..........

......just got this one in as well!  :D

2xTap
Knives, Watches, and Flashlights are like Guns......you can never have too many!

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #4 on: September 11, 2010, 08:01:07 AM
jzmtl,

These just came out last week, that I can tell only Smoky Mountain Knife Works currently has them. But they should soon be popping up at other RR dealers.

2xTap

Yeah looks like I'll wait till it shows on up ebay, SMKW wants $30 shipping, last two I bought from ebay was less than $3.

Wait is the bolster carbon steel too? That might be a pain to keep clean if you actually use it. From what I heard if you get any corrosion on it, even if it's cleaned up the pattern would be gone.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 08:04:58 AM by jzmtl »

us Offline 2xTap

• No Life Club
  • Slipjoint Fanatic!
Reply #5 on: September 11, 2010, 09:19:59 AM
jzmtl,

Yup, the bolsters are made of the same carbon steel San-Mai Damascus as the blade. All carbon steel is a pain to keep clean, and any form of carbon steel damascus is likey worse.....at least for a user. It's why I dislike carbon steel in pocketknives.

Can't say for sure how bad the pattern could be lost on any damascus if corroded and cleaned up as this is my first folded steel knife. I got mine for the looks, and couldn't beat the price. It won't be a user.

2xTap

ca Offline Sean

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: September 11, 2010, 09:20:14 AM
Oh those are so nice!  :tu:

us Offline specgrade

Reply #7 on: September 11, 2010, 04:07:00 PM
 Are the RR better in quality than the Steel Warriors or are they the same? I had a Steel Warrior doctor's knife and it was pretty nice for what it was.

us Offline 2xTap

• No Life Club
  • Slipjoint Fanatic!
Reply #8 on: September 11, 2010, 05:25:54 PM
specgrade,

I own a few first year production Steel Warriors and they are not quite up to the level of the Rough Riders. That said, since then their quality has improved and many have compared the SW's to the RR's favorably. I don't own any newer SW's so I can't do a direct comparison.

But, the same people who build the Rough Riders are responsible for a few other lines of slippies that are of equal quality. The new line of Colt slipjoints, the earlier overseas made Marble's Global Series of slippies, and the import line of slipjoints from Buck are all made by the same guys. So there are some other options out there.

A couple more import lines not made by the RR people but of similar quality are those from the U.S. Classic line and the newer Kissing Cranes.

2xTap

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #9 on: September 11, 2010, 05:35:50 PM
Looks pretty sweet!
I'm back!!

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #10 on: September 11, 2010, 06:05:09 PM
They really are great quality for the price.

I didn't realise they made higher end ones too - still obviously very cheap, but a cut above the basic range.

Thanks for the pics  :tu:
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

us Offline specgrade

Reply #11 on: September 11, 2010, 09:22:10 PM
specgrade,

I own a few first year production Steel Warriors and they are not quite up to the level of the Rough Riders. That said, since then their quality has improved and many have compared the SW's to the RR's favorably. I don't own any newer SW's so I can't do a direct comparison.

But, the same people who build the Rough Riders are responsible for a few other lines of slippies that are of equal quality. The new line of Colt slipjoints, the earlier overseas made Marble's Global Series of slippies, and the import line of slipjoints from Buck are all made by the same guys. So there are some other options out there.

A couple more import lines not made by the RR people but of similar quality are those from the U.S. Classic line and the newer Kissing Cranes.

2xTap

2xTap, great information, I had a Buck Toothpick that was made in China and it was decent. I really like the looks of some of the Kissing Cranes. Thanks!  :tu:

Good looking Damascus btw.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 09:25:04 PM by specgrade »

00 Offline Freudian Frog

• No Life Club
  • I just don't know what went wrong.
Reply #12 on: September 11, 2010, 09:46:56 PM
I don't have any Steel Warriors but a few of the Frost Family pieces and I can say Rough Rider is atleast on par. :tu:
Got those frog legs.

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #13 on: September 11, 2010, 11:03:00 PM
I did some reading on damascus re-etching, apparently it's easy to do with any strong acid (or even vinegar).

us Offline 2xTap

• No Life Club
  • Slipjoint Fanatic!
Reply #14 on: September 12, 2010, 03:29:48 PM
I don't have any Steel Warriors but a few of the Frost Family pieces and I can say Rough Rider is atleast on par. :tu:

Good call, I forgot about those. I as well have a couple Frost Family Series slippies, two Trappers.......

........and they are on par with with my better Rough Riders. Although I find RR's have heavier backsprings than the Frosts.

2xTap

us Offline 2xTap

• No Life Club
  • Slipjoint Fanatic!
Reply #15 on: September 12, 2010, 03:36:25 PM
I did some reading on damascus re-etching, apparently it's easy to do with any strong acid (or even vinegar).

I'm wondering how well that would work, with vinegar anyways? I know alot of guys that use vinegar to get a full coverage, even forced Patina on their carbon steel knives. I can see how it would bring out the layers but it might not look same.

2xTap

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #16 on: September 12, 2010, 06:45:49 PM
It seems you just have to leave it in there long enough. With strong acid a few minutes is enough, I guess with vinegar a few hours would be necessary. (turorial on knifeforum).

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%