Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Announcement to all Multitool.org members

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Announcement to all Multitool.org members
on: September 19, 2007, 03:43:54 PM
Ok guys, bear in mind it's not 100% ready yet, but it is functional and that's what counts.  In effort to provide all the information available in the most useful manner possible, we started this site and forum.  Well, in an attempt to keep advancing and not rest on our laurels, we now introduce the Wiki at Multitool.org for your reading, researching and archiving pleasure!

You can see it here right now:

http://multitool.org/wiki/tiki-index.php

I'll be adding a link to it in the menu on the main site shortly to make it easier to access, but for now, go nuts checking out what's there, adding anything you think is necessary and ask any questions or make any comments you like here. 

One thing to warn you all about- it does not share a database with the forum software, so you will have to register there and log in separately from the forum here.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline Papacat

Re: Announcement to all Multitool.org members
Reply #1 on: September 19, 2007, 04:19:38 PM
It looks great, Def! 
"

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: September 19, 2007, 05:04:41 PM
Thanks, but again the credit for this one goes pretty well to Bob (J-sews) as he's been spearheading it, and the RedRamage for his work on it, and for building www.SAKWiki.com, which of course was how Bob and I learned how to work the software.  Well, more Bob than me since I still don;t know what I am doing... :-[

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #3 on: September 19, 2007, 06:03:37 PM
That's it?  That's the announcement?  I thought maybe we were switching to a Tactical Folder forum :P
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: September 19, 2007, 08:00:47 PM
No, but it's a good place for everyone to post all the lists, charts and other info they've been accumulating lately!

Def

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: September 19, 2007, 10:04:22 PM
It's now been added to the menu on the main page at www.Multitool.org in case anyone is interested.

Def

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #6 on: September 19, 2007, 10:14:41 PM
On the homepage at the bottom, what is the MT 4th from the right?

Computer isn't great and I can't seem to work it out.
I'm back!!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: September 19, 2007, 10:20:00 PM
It looks like a Gerber Multi Plier in black oxide to me, but I couldn't narrow down which MP it is as I'm not as familiar with Gerbers as I'd like.

Def

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #8 on: September 19, 2007, 10:38:10 PM
I'm sure someone will know what one it is.
I'm back!!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: September 19, 2007, 10:41:16 PM
Probably an MP600- with so many variants of it, I think they account for around 85% of Gerbers you see!

Def

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #10 on: September 19, 2007, 10:57:37 PM
Probably an MP600- with so many variants of it, I think they account for around 85% of Gerbers you see!

Def
Cynic ;D

I'm glad its out in the public domain now, hopefully it'll be as successfull as sakwiki is :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

gb Offline Roadie

• No Life Club
  • Hello...is this thing on?
Reply #11 on: September 19, 2007, 11:04:31 PM
MP400 i think, the scissors and cutouts on the handles give it away.

As to the wiki....great idea!
Life is like a sandwich...the older it gets the crustier it becomes!

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #12 on: September 19, 2007, 11:41:54 PM
Very nice addition. Looking forward to checking it out in more detail!
S

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #13 on: September 20, 2007, 03:15:39 AM
On the homepage at the bottom, what is the MT 4th from the right?

Computer isn't great and I can't seem to work it out.

That one is a Gerber 400 compact. They didn't make very many in black oxide finish.
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #14 on: September 20, 2007, 04:03:58 AM
The Multitool Encyclopedia is eventually going to be THE source for any and all multitool facts, figures, and data. We all talk about important stuff here in the forums, but then those facts get lost in the threads somewhere. A month or two later, an important piece of info can be difficult to find.

That's where the Encyclopedia will come in handy. Because it uses "Wiki" software, tidbits of data on this or that tool can be entered onto the Encylclopedia by any one of us, at any time. (No more waiting for Def to load it onto the main site)  :grin: :pok:

What goes into the Encyclopedia?..........dates of manufacture, data, different variations of a tool. Basically, all the facts.

What doesn't go on the Encyclopedia?.......reviews, opinions, articles. Those type of things are what the main site here at Multitool.org is better suited for.

How can you help?......the Encyclopedia is going to be a monster in terms of the amount of information that needs to be entered. There is way more data in the world of multitools than what I can plug in myself. If you'd like to try writing a page, it's not very hard:
  • First thing to do is get registered.
  • Then check out a page that is already written. Here's one on the Vic SwissTool. Link = https://wiki.multitool.org/tiki-index.php?page=SwissTool Look it over, and note the format and layout of the page.
  • Now go back to the MANUFACTURER'S LIST, click on a manufacturer, and then click on one of the many "question marks" you see. The question marks mean that a tool does not yet have a page written about it. (most of them don't yet, obviously!)
  • The Wiki software takes you to a page with a blank edit box, where you can begin writing up a page on the tool. If you need help remembering the format, go back to a page that is already written, hit EDIT, then right click and copy the format. Now you can go back to your page and PASTE. Then its a simple matter to rewrite the text for your chosen tool. (Sounds complicated. It ain't. Proof: even I can do it!)  :P
  • Remember: You CANNOT screw anything up. The Wiki software saves all the previous versions. If something doesn't turn out the way you want it to, it's easy to go back. Send me a PM if you need help.
  • Or better yet, ask here in the forums if you need assistance. Chances are that if you have a question, someone else is wondering the same thing. I'm no expert, but I know just enough to be dangerous!

Thanks in advance for the help!
Bob
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%