Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Gerber Legend 800

Roadie · 22 · 6488

gb Offline Roadie

• No Life Club
  • Hello...is this thing on?
Gerber Legend 800
on: September 17, 2007, 02:14:06 PM
Here's some of my ramblings about the Gerber 800, its not very well organised....but then neither am i!

The Gerber 800
Well I've had this tool for a while now and so far I'm still as happy with it as when I got it!! The  tool  is well put together and  all the tools are well made  and function well. The spring loaded jaws are fantastic, makes using them a dream and the cutters were great when I was making cables the only problem is that the jaws don't open particularly wide but thats not a huge problem unless you need to cut thick cable/wire. The scissors are very sharp and hare zero play in them but as has been mentioned before they are just too short, but for cutting string/twine they are more than adequate. The knife is plenty sharp enough and the serrations on it are not too aggressive which  i prefer (especially compared with my paraframe from gerber) The saw coupler is a great idea, but now I need to get some more blades to find the right one for me! The screwdrivers are a lot easier to use  than my other gerbers as you can use the tool in the 'stretch' position which on the tools with flickout pliers is not possible. They are very good drivers well ground and fit most screws very well, they aren't the longest available but unless you encounter alot of recessed screws this won't be a problem.

So pro's:
Good ergonomics
Great cutters
Sharp scissors
Saw coupler
Strong
Outside tools

Con's:
Stubby scissors
Bulky
Fit and finish isn't top notch but is more than adequate.
Drivers might not be long enough for you.

Life is like a sandwich...the older it gets the crustier it becomes!

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Re: Gerber Legend 800
Reply #1 on: September 17, 2007, 02:45:45 PM
Cool review there mate, I definatly think having sprung loaded plier's must be a real boon, (Are you listening rival firms) :)

Is the saw blade it comes with not to hot on wood then?

That top picture look's bloody good mate, it belongs in the great multi tool picture thread :)!
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #2 on: September 17, 2007, 02:49:20 PM
Good stuff- I didn't realize it was such a big tool though!  I really like the new Gerber head design too.  I dunno if it's just a looks thing but it seems like it would be much stronger.  Of course, it's not like I have ever broken a plier head on any other tool, but it's nice to see advancements being made.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
Reply #3 on: September 17, 2007, 02:52:11 PM
 I find it surprising that scissors on Gerbers aren't any better,considering that Gerber is a division of Fiskars.
I

gb Offline Roadie

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: September 17, 2007, 03:32:22 PM
The thing is that there is plenty of room to put longer scissors in there, they just chose not to.

The head may have had to have been redesigned to allow for the replaceable cutters. As they had to remove material to put them in they would have had to strengthen the head and thus make it bigger than before. The pic shows what the head on my 600 would be like with the cutters and no redisgn.
Gerber heads.jpg
* Gerber heads.jpg (Filesize: 55.69 KB)

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #5 on: September 17, 2007, 03:34:20 PM
Cool review there mate, I definatly think having sprung loaded plier's must be a real boon, (Are you listening rival firms) :)

Nice mini-review Roadie.

My Gerber Suspension has a similar setup to the Legend.  I've been using the Suspension a lot lately, while working around the house and yard.

I've reached the conclusion that I don't want a daily user multitool without:

1. Spring-loaded pliers
2. Outside-opening tools
3. One-hand opening blades

Once I became accustomed to daily use of a multi with those features, there's no way I'd consider replacing it with another multi without those three features.

N

Reply #6 on: September 17, 2007, 03:35:02 PM
Yeah there wouldn't be much metal left to take the strain would there ::)

gb Offline Roadie

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: September 17, 2007, 03:37:31 PM
I agree on those three points, but i would also like to see flick out pliers in the mix too, they are just so handy. I have no idea if thats possible but would love to see it done.

Reply #8 on: September 17, 2007, 03:37:45 PM

I've reached the conclusion that I don't want a daily user multitool without:

1. Spring-loaded pliers
2. Outside-opening tools
3. One-hand opening blades

Once I became accustomed to daily use of a multi with those features, there's no way I'd consider replacing it with another multi without those three features.

Trouble is that really narrow's the field :)
« Last Edit: September 19, 2007, 08:03:56 PM by Defender »

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #9 on: September 17, 2007, 03:57:02 PM
I agree on those three points, but i would also like to see flick out pliers in the mix too, they are just so handy. I have no idea if thats possible but would love to see it done.

IIRC, Gerber does make a model that has the flick-out pliers and four one-hand-opening, outside-opening blades and tools.

However, the rest of its tools are inside-opening.

Can't recall which model that is at the moment, but it's probably as close as you'll get to having all four of the features you want.

Edit: right after posting that, I remembered the model is the Gerber Freehand.

« Last Edit: September 17, 2007, 03:59:50 PM by ringzero »
N

Offline Fishnuts2

Reply #10 on: September 19, 2007, 01:32:03 AM
I use my 800 on the weekends and at the cabin.  I like the spring loaded pliers and the knife is easy to get at.  I bought a driver kit for it that fits on the Phillips head and this allowed me to get at some screws on a boat motor that were impossible to get at  without removing the power head.  Swisstool Spirit rides with me to work, and these two are my most carried out of the 16 or so Pliers multis that I have. 8)
W

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #11 on: September 19, 2007, 03:29:49 AM
Does anyone think the handles on the 800 are a bit thick?
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: September 19, 2007, 06:37:18 AM

I'm suprised no one has mentioned this earlier. I think the handles are both exceptionally thick and deep, and I have fairly large hands. The size doesn't bother me, it's just something I noticed compared to my other large tools.

gb Offline Roadie

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: September 19, 2007, 06:04:21 PM

Yep! But i don't think it detracts too much from the tool, i don't have big hands and find it quite comfy to hold.

Reply #14 on: September 20, 2007, 06:03:16 PM
I've got to say the big handle's do make the 800 look comfortable to use :)

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #15 on: September 21, 2007, 02:41:11 AM

Another nice thing about the 800 is that it can be taken apart easily for service. (I think. Never tried it myself.) The little Torx wrench that is included for changing cutter blades also fits the pivot screws.

In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Reply #16 on: September 21, 2007, 09:45:02 AM

Another nice thing about the 800 is that it can be taken apart easily for service. (I think. Never tried it myself.) The little Torx wrench that is included for changing cutter blades also fits the pivot screws.

Oh well another tool to add to the ever expanding list then ::)

Reply #17 on: October 12, 2007, 07:01:54 PM
So how do you feel about the 800, almost a month on Roadie mate ???

gb Offline Roadie

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: October 12, 2007, 07:10:42 PM
I'll try and write up some thoughts this evening, right now i'm starving so its food time!

Reply #19 on: October 12, 2007, 07:16:42 PM
I'll try and write up some thoughts this evening, right now i'm starving so its food time!
Your a student, your always hungry ;D

I'll look forward to reading it mate ;D

gb Offline Roadie

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: October 12, 2007, 09:56:47 PM
Its nothing about being a student i've always had a huge appetite! I once ate 3 plate sized portions of lasagne in one sitting....what?! i was hungry!

As to the 800, i still love the sprung pliers they just make life so much easier especially when doing a lot of cutting work. The blade is still very sharp even after cutting up a few thick cardboard boxes (it was also really easy to cut with!) and other assorted materials. The saw has seen a bit of action and managed to cut through most stuff fairly well (not too good on wood though) The scissors are still very sharp but also still too stumpy, why didn't they make them longer! It has become my heavy duty tool around the house rather than my swisstool as things are just so much easier to get at than, don't get me wrong i love the swisstool just not when i need things quickly the only tool that isn't really brilliant is the philips driver which could do with being a bit longer and slightly more "defined" (if that makes sense). I haven't noticed any play in any of the joints which is good, so overall i'm extremely happy with it. I'd recommended it to anyone!

Reply #21 on: October 12, 2007, 10:52:12 PM
Its nothing about being a student i've always had a huge appetite! I once ate 3 plate sized portions of lasagne in one sitting....what?! i was hungry!

As to the 800, i still love the sprung pliers they just make life so much easier especially when doing a lot of cutting work. The blade is still very sharp even after cutting up a few thick cardboard boxes (it was also really easy to cut with!) and other assorted materials. The saw has seen a bit of action and managed to cut through most stuff fairly well (not too good on wood though) The scissors are still very sharp but also still too stumpy, why didn't they make them longer! It has become my heavy duty tool around the house rather than my swisstool as things are just so much easier to get at than, don't get me wrong i love the swisstool just not when i need things quickly the only tool that isn't really brilliant is the philips driver which could do with being a bit longer and slightly more "defined" (if that makes sense). I haven't noticed any play in any of the joints which is good, so overall i'm extremely happy with it. I'd recommended it to anyone!

I'm glad your happy with it mate, I agree with you about the scissors though, its a shame there not bigger as there not really any good reason (other than cost ::)) that they couldnt have droped in a bigger pair :-\

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD