Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Playing with the new toy :)

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Playing with the new toy :)
on: September 16, 2010, 11:23:58 PM
My Girlfriend just picked up a Canon SX 20IS a couple days ago in preparation for our trip to Colorado next week. Hopefully before then I will also be getting myself it's little brother, the SX 120IS for "lighter duty" work. Anyway, I did some playing around with hers today getting a feel for it and playing around with lighting and settings. It's been several years since I've had a decent camera (I used to do a lot of 35mm photography with an "old school" Canon Rebel) so still getting back in the swing of it. Results are as follows:

First up is a couple shots of my current EDC. Played around with different aperture settings

This one I initially didn't think turned out when I saw the closer flower way out of focus. It wasn't until I looked at it on my comp I saw that it had focused on the ladybug I didn't even know was there lol.

I love this shot. My hood makes an excellent background for the CX.

In my front yard. Was raining earlier and still very overcast, so I was having a hard time with the lighting. This was the best attempt at this shot, and I'm still not happy with it. I don't like the composition, but the lighting was terrible in all the others.

Getting this one surprised me. I was in macro and the wind was blowing hard at the time. Can't even tell that flower was whipping around in the wind. Complete luck that it is even in the frame, let alone clear.

I had read that the camera likes to keep the ISO setting too high in low light, and I have to agree. This was taken in my garage and shows a lot of noise. Something to be aware of in the future.

I need to keep my foot off the gas lol.

This is Buzz.

I thought this turned out to be kind of interesting.

Such a dreary day.....

OMGWTFBBQ!!???

This is only a small sampling of my experiments from today. Some were better than others. I really like the camera, just wish it were mine lol. Can't wait to get mine, I know I won't get the same quality, but it's also less than half the price (after using some store credit I have) and much, MUCH easier to carry around. Be prepared for an inundation of shots when I get back from my vacation ;)
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 11:25:48 PM by thebullfrog »

gb Offline ryan1835

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • buh
Re: Playing with the new toy :)
Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 11:46:51 PM
congrats with the new toy, i think that might be the camera chako uses for the majority of his pictures here

i just gave away my compact :( i hope to get another one soon
I

Offline VicX

Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 11:57:02 PM

:tu:

(Image removed from quote.)

Is it dinner time? No?! Then leave me alone...

(Image removed from quote.)

That is the same expression Olivia, my cat, has everytime I play with my camera. Il''be buying a Nikon D5000 for christmas: I wonder what her expression will be on the day I start playing with THAT camera... :D

gb Offline ryan1835

• buh
Reply #3 on: September 17, 2010, 07:15:10 PM
i have the d5000 it s a nice camera, what are you wanting to use it for?

also a new nikon dslr has just come out the nikon 3100
I

Offline VicX

Reply #4 on: September 17, 2010, 07:30:31 PM

I wanted to take a big step and buy a proper camera. My Kodak is a compact camera, it works but it doesn't do much else. I'm an amateur, of course. Do you think the D5000 is a good choice?

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: September 17, 2010, 07:57:31 PM
i love michelin wildgripper lites i think its there greenes  :D  cool pics  :tu:

gb Offline ryan1835

• buh
Reply #6 on: September 17, 2010, 08:21:57 PM

I wanted to take a big step and buy a proper camera. My Kodak is a compact camera, it works but it doesn't do much else. I'm an amateur, of course. Do you think the D5000 is a good choice?

yeah, but if you think your stick to photography and can afford it id go for the d90, it has 2 screen which is helpful and easier acess to all the various settings ALSO you can you use the older af lenses :)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryan-pull/ all of those were taken with the d5000 ive only had it since june and wouldnt really call myself an expert but it might give you an idea of what it can do
I

Offline VicX

Reply #7 on: September 17, 2010, 08:42:39 PM
yeah, but if you think your stick to photography and can afford it id go for the d90, it has 2 screen which is helpful and easier acess to all the various settings ALSO you can you use the older af lenses :)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryan-pull/ all of those were taken with the d5000 ive only had it since june and wouldnt really call myself an expert but it might give you an idea of what it can do

The D90 is a true beauty, but I really can't afford it, which is why I thought the D5000 would be a good compromise. I love photography and I try to do my best with the camera I have.

I like your photos. "fishing docks" is my favorite. Good job! :tu:

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: September 17, 2010, 08:48:28 PM
I like "Damselfly". I really need to work on getting better color into my shots, were any of those touched up?

gb Offline ryan1835

• buh
Reply #9 on: September 18, 2010, 10:12:07 AM
only a tiny but, i inly used the basic editor thingy in iphoto though  :rofl:

and if thats the case the d5000 is a brilliant place to start  :) its user friendly and explains stuff to you and tells you when your letting too much light in etc
I

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #10 on: September 18, 2010, 01:52:41 PM
Nice photographs.

I was thinking of replacing my venerable S5 IS once it dies with the SX20 IS. But the way the S5 IS is going, there might be another model to replace it by then.  :think:
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: September 19, 2010, 04:25:21 AM
the SX 30IS just came out, so yeah Chako, already too late lol.

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #12 on: September 19, 2010, 10:57:04 AM
Ewww cats  :P, but that Skeletool looks great..  8)

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #13 on: September 19, 2010, 02:33:50 PM
Figures.  :D

My S5 IS is a true workhorse. I can tell when it needs batteries before it tells me due to the wonky white balance issues...which means, I have used this camera so much that I am in tuned with its eccentricities.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

gb Offline ryan1835

• buh
Reply #14 on: September 19, 2010, 02:45:31 PM
nikon need to come up with one now....

especially as i gave away my compact  :(
I

ca Offline Sean

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: September 19, 2010, 04:38:03 PM
Nice pic's there bullfrog!  Hey you have a Japanese Chin?  My GF has one and it's a lovely little dog.

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: September 20, 2010, 01:07:58 AM
It's my Mom's actually, she has two. Brother and sister. She also has 7 cats, 2 birds, and a turtle in her house lol. But yeah the Chins are cool as hell.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%