Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Spirit Blade

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Spirit Blade
on: October 11, 2006, 10:06:27 AM
When the OHT came out alota people didn't like the serrations on the blade so they took them off.  I did this on my OHT as well  as my SwissTool Spirit. Has anyone else done this to their Spirit or am I the only crazy one
"

Offline gatch

Re: Spirit Blade
Reply #1 on: October 11, 2006, 02:16:51 PM
It is not really all that necessary now as the Spirit S has a standard Vic spear point blade, that is unless you need scissors on your Spirit.

us Offline Fred

• I'm the one they call Dr FeelGood
Reply #2 on: October 12, 2006, 01:42:38 AM
I didn't grind the one on my Spirit down since it eventually wore down on it's own.It's a great little straight razor once you do that
Yabba dabba doo!

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #3 on: October 12, 2006, 02:00:54 AM
I haven't ground the serrations on my Spirit (yet), but I probably will the first time it needs to be sharpened.
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: October 12, 2006, 02:09:52 AM
I was alittle nervous about changing the blade.  I did it to my OHT and had no problems. I have a good close up picture of the blades but I am having trouble posting pics.
"

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #5 on: October 12, 2006, 02:11:06 AM
I like the serrations.  True, they can be a pain to sharpen, but they work well.  I think much of the anti- serration movement is the result of the tactical knives that were all available with partially serrated blades for years.  Mid to late 90's if it wasn't a combo edge, it wasn't sold, and everyone swore it was the best thing they'd ever seen.  Each company had their own serration patter, each more "tactical" (ie scary looking but useless) than the last  Just after the new millenium that fad had worn off and folks realized that what they really had was two half knives, not one hole one, and that the serrations, while intimidating, were for the most part, useless, unless you needed to dismember a number of ninjas on the way to work.
Victorinox never really did much with serrations, which is good because they didn't spend a fortune on a serration cutting machine like alot of other manufacturers did, but they did offer certain special models with the serrations.  And, like most things Victorinox does, they did it right!  So if you aren;t a fan of serrations, much of your opinion is likely formed by fallout from the mall ninja wannabee knives, so give the Vic serrations a try.  They aren't hard to get rid of if you decide you don;t want them, but give them a chance.  You will probably be pleasantly surprised.
Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: October 12, 2006, 02:11:56 AM
What problem are you having with pics? 

Send me an e-mail at grant.lamontagne@gmail.com and I'll see if I can help.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: October 12, 2006, 02:21:28 AM
e-mail sent, thanks Def
"

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #8 on: October 12, 2006, 02:25:43 AM
Picture upload wasn't working for me either earlier, but it seems to be okay now.

~Bob
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: October 12, 2006, 02:27:01 AM
Here's a try
blades.jpg
* blades.jpg (Filesize: 36.67 KB)
"

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: October 12, 2006, 02:27:47 AM
I am still quite new to this software, but it looks like we had exceeded the maximum amount of storage alotted for the whole forum, probably due in large part to the Multitool picture thread.  I just increased the size we have available by roughly about 10x.  That should get us through the night at least until Esteban gets in to work tomorrow and figures out what I did, and how to fix it properly!
Def

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: October 12, 2006, 02:30:17 AM
Thanks Def I like pictures and this is the best place on the web
"

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: October 12, 2006, 02:33:35 AM
I'm just glad we got it working again.  The account I have for sites is astronimically huge, so we shouldn't really have too many restrictions on pictures and things...

Def

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: October 12, 2006, 02:53:30 AM
I may just have to get another Spirit, maybe a Spirit S.  What's great about the Spirit besides the fact that is one of the best tools on the market is that one of the best for your money.
"

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #14 on: October 12, 2006, 02:55:51 AM
That is true... highest tool per dollar ratio of any tool on the market I think.

Def

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: October 12, 2006, 03:00:10 AM
That is true... highest tool per dollar ratio of any tool on the market I think.

Def
  To think that you can get a Spirit for what most of the LM Juice models cost!!!
"

Offline colubrid

Reply #16 on: October 12, 2006, 04:18:30 AM
What's great about the Spirit besides the fact that is one of the best tools on the market is that one of the best for your money.

Amen to that.

Offline Tom Munch

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: October 15, 2006, 06:21:50 PM
prime77,

Did you grind the blades on the Spirit & Trekker in the picture to a chisel grind or flat grind?

Tom

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: October 16, 2006, 08:07:01 AM
prime77,

Did you grind the blades on the Spirit & Trekker in the picture to a chisel grind or flat grind?

Tom
I made them both Flat grinds.
"

us Offline felinevet

• Banner Member
  • No Life Club
Reply #19 on: October 19, 2006, 02:17:00 AM
I like the serrations.  True, they can be a pain to sharpen, but they work well.......... And, like most things Victorinox does, they did it right!  So if you aren't a fan of serrations, much of your opinion is likely formed by fallout from the mall ninja wannabee knives, so give the Vic serrations a try.  They aren't hard to get rid of if you decide you don't want them, but give them a chance.  You will probably be pleasantly surprised.
Def

AMEN Def! Thank you. I know everyone has their own preferences and opinions but I really wonder why people dismiss SAK
serrations out of hand. It's like some cult that you have to get rid of 'em. I happen to like them on SAKs and agree, please give 'em a try before you go grinding away.
T

Offline Lion

Reply #20 on: November 03, 2006, 07:18:11 PM
I like the serrations.  True, they can be a pain to sharpen, but they work well.  I think much of the anti- serration movement is the result of the tactical knives that were all available with partially serrated blades for years.  Mid to late 90's if it wasn't a combo edge, it wasn't sold, and everyone swore it was the best thing they'd ever seen.  Each company had their own serration patter, each more "tactical" (ie scary looking but useless) than the last  Just after the new millenium that fad had worn off and folks realized that what they really had was two half knives, not one hole one, and that the serrations, while intimidating, were for the most part, useless, unless you needed to dismember a number of ninjas on the way to work.
Victorinox never really did much with serrations, which is good because they didn't spend a fortune on a serration cutting machine like alot of other manufacturers did, but they did offer certain special models with the serrations.  And, like most things Victorinox does, they did it right!  So if you aren;t a fan of serrations, much of your opinion is likely formed by fallout from the mall ninja wannabee knives, so give the Vic serrations a try.  They aren't hard to get rid of if you decide you don;t want them, but give them a chance.  You will probably be pleasantly surprised.
Def

First off, hello. This is my first post here. Great forum.

I don't like serations much. Admitedly, they do have their uses, but I prefer a plain edge. My dislike dosen't come from tactical knives either. I like to whittle. Plain edges just work better for me.

Leo

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #21 on: November 03, 2006, 09:51:47 PM
Welcome to the forum Lion!

I agree that serrations just don't suit certain things, just like plain edges and combo edges have their weaknesses as well.  My point was mostly for folks who dislike serrations because of bad experiences in general purpose duties (all-round kind of stuff) when the aggressive nature of tactical knfe serrations proved to be too excessive for every day chores.

But again, that's another nice thing about Victorinox serrations- the steel is soft enough, and the serrations small enough that they can be removed easily enough if you don't want them.

Def

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: November 04, 2006, 08:26:26 AM
The serrations didn't bother me that much but I just could get more uses out a plain edge. Me and my stepsons like to mess around in the woods and I too like a plain edge to whittle.  I have to admit thought there have been times since I removed the serrations where I wish they were there.
"

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD