Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Let's have a knife thread.

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Let's have a knife thread.
on: September 19, 2007, 12:06:10 PM
Yes, this is a forum devoted almost entirely to multi-tools and multi-knives but there always seems to be a small amount of chatter in a few threads about personal likes/dislikes and general opinions of regular folding knives. Let's centralize all those opinions and see what everyone has to say about those darn single purpose folding or fixed blade knives. After all, a lot of multi-tools share DNA with single use folders and the prospering of one will help the other. Or will it?

What do you like to use? What do you like to collect? Favorite brands or styles? Are you a steel snob or is surgical stainless for you? What do you sharpen with? Don't own any single use folders? Why not? Hate folders and only carry fixed blades? SAKs only? Colored handles or tactical black? Traditionals only? Did you get into single use knives first or multis? Have any heirloom knives?

Let's hear what the multi-tool aficionado has to say!

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Let's have a knife thread.
Reply #1 on: September 19, 2007, 02:23:37 PM
I can play the Tactical Knife game too.  I still have some left after the Great Tactical Knife Purge when I realized how much better SAKs and multis were.  Some of these have been obtained since then as well.  I usually pick up what I like here and there and don;t confine myself too much to types, labels etc.

I really like small fixed blades though.  That's kind of my dirty little secret.  I've always preferred the strength of a fixed blade over folders, and small ones are very handy to have around.  In the good old days I used to carry a Cold Steel Para Edge Tanto (name is bigger than the knife!) under the glove pouch on my belt, which was always in the center of my back.  Wearing black pants and working mostly at night, the small handle wasn't visible in the inverted position, but was readily available to either hand.  As with any fixed blade, there was no problems orienting it properly to ensure a quick and easy opening.  I might have been even better off if I'd had the sense to buy the double edged one, but tantos were way cooler!

Def

* Tacticals.JPG (Filesize: 113.65 KB)
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline Sparkey

• Road Monkey
Reply #2 on: September 19, 2007, 03:36:00 PM
I grew up in the country and still live close to it, so having a pocketknife was an essential. My dad carried (and still does) an uncle henry stockman that still sees daily action for everything from slicing fruit to stripping wire. I got my first knife (a commemerative Elvis barlow ;D) when I was four. I carried it until it literally fell apart...I had a modest collection of folders when I was younger, but most of them got traded away or sold. I always prefer folders over fixed blades, just because I find fixed blades awkward in most situations. (I've always used folders for camping and hiking) I've carried all kinds of pocketknives, even to school (shows how much times have changed, and I'm not that old!) My favorite styles are (obviously) The SAK and the classic barlow design...preferably with a spear point main blade, but I don't mind a good clip or drop point and as far as steels go, as long as it keeps a good edge through day-to day use, I don't really care. I've carried several "tactical" type folders, but never grew that attached to them, usually they got sold, traded or are hanging out in a drawer somewhere (I've never been a fan of pocket clips either, even though I use a LM with one). I don't like a bulky knife b/c it's going to go in a pocket, so something around 3 and a half to four inches closed with a good sized blade. I don't like small knives (i.e. keychain sized SAK). I've carried them, but always with a larger knife. I got into carrying a multi around 10 years ago and carried them exclusively (sometimes with a SAK), but I switched back to a SAK about 5 years ago when I changed to a job where I didn't need so many tools...I struggle day to day over whether I fall into the "knife-guy" or "multitool-guy"...I can never decide, so that's probably why I carry a SAK. I usually prefer black or other muted colors for a knife...but I prefer those colors for everything! I don't like plastic scales on a knife because they will self destruct in my pocket, even regular SAKs. Alox is the only way to go if your going for a pocket carry (that one's for you, Micky D.) I've carried a Wenger SI for going on 6 years that replaced a red alox pioneer that I LOST!!! >:( (Little did I know it would become a collector's item later!). The pioneer/soldier/SI style seems to work best for me. I'm thinking about upgrading to a pioneer harvester. I do a lot of work in the yard and garden and would like to have the wood saw and the pruning blade within the durable alox package. I'm not much of a collector, everything has to have a practical use, because space is always at a premium around my place. But I do plan on passing down my SI to my son once he's old enough...I hope that answers the questions and sparks more discussion...I've been thinking about this same topic for a while myself...
"

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: September 19, 2007, 03:45:50 PM
I've been carrying a SAK since I was 5 or 6 years old.  If they learn to respect a knife when they are young, it's something that will carry on to every facet of their lives, until they get old enough to start web based communities about them! :D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline Sparkey

• Road Monkey
Reply #4 on: September 19, 2007, 03:49:17 PM
If they learn to respect a knife when they are young, it's something that will carry on to every facet of their lives,

Def

Well said... :cheers:
"

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: September 19, 2007, 03:55:20 PM
Yeah, it'll probably mean a few quick anatomy lessons, some tears and possibly some stitches, but cuts and scrapes are part of growing up.  I have a lifelong respect for axes since I was 8 years old and put my father's hatchet into my left shin because I didn't treat it properly.

I'm not saying a kid has to get major injuries- I am against that as much as possible, but even more against keeping the kid indoors, out of the woods, in a plastic bubble with nothing more than a Nintendo to keep him (or her) company.  Kids get cuts and scrapes, kids get scars they'll carry for the rest of their lives, and kids will move on.  I don't even remember my first stitches- I think I was maybe three years old and I got hit under the chin by a swing.  It was so traumatic to me, the only way I know it was there was because my Mom told me about it years later!  Kids need a few marks to really learn to appreciate and respect things like the woods, animals, knives and eventually cars, trucks, motorbikes, alcohol and drugs.

Def

us Online David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #6 on: September 19, 2007, 11:46:50 PM
Did someone say knives?

David

* DSC03313 (Small).JPG (Filesize: 69.79 KB)

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #7 on: September 19, 2007, 11:49:08 PM
Dave can I have the salt 1....

Well it was worth a shot! ;D
S

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #8 on: September 19, 2007, 11:49:14 PM
I was never big into folders.  I might have two or three chinese folders laying around from years ago, but aside from that, it's SAKs and a Leatherman folder with drivers.  I'd like to get a Spyderco or a CRKT M-16 spearpoint at some point though.  

I never got into "steels"...as in buying knives depending on what steel is was made from.  The stainless SAK blade works fine for me.
[

us Offline Viking

• J-sews Fan Club-- Member #0001
Reply #9 on: September 20, 2007, 12:22:08 AM
I'm a big knife collector as well.  Usually small folders and fixed blades.  I'll have to get around to taking some pics.

us Online David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #10 on: September 20, 2007, 12:33:37 AM
Hawkchucker, it's not a salt. It's a first gen Endura with combo edge, they don't make them in combo anymore.  :grin:

David

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #11 on: September 20, 2007, 01:02:02 AM
Wow it looks just like my Salt. (second row ) The only Tac Knife besides my Buck strider.

Only blade I now really carry is the Alox Farmer.
S

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Reply #12 on: September 20, 2007, 01:15:30 AM
DavidBinGA,

I'll trade you my alox farmer for the surefire. :)

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: September 20, 2007, 06:53:16 AM
Def, nice G10 Native!

I'm not much of a collector, everything has to have a practical use, because space is always at a premium around my place.

I used to be the same way, sometime around last winter a switch just flipped and I became a collector.

Seems like there are at least a few members with some pretty neat collections.

Here's what I've decided to label my collection, meaning I won't be selling any in the future.

I like to use one-hand open/close folders for my cutting tasks but usually carry a smaller folder for public knife use if I feel the environment is not appropriate for a full-size EDC knife. Currently I collect Spyderco folders but I am going to branch out soon into slipjoints because I like having different blade styles in a single knife. The orange G10 Case knives have really caught my eye and I have one on the top of my list when I get a little cash saved up. I recently bought my first two fixed blades and have a new appreciation of them for outdoor use, they are just so much sturdier and safer than folders in the woods, I may have started a Scrapyard Knife Company addiction though, I love the sharp prybars  :angel:.

As long as a knife isn't 420 or AUS4 I don't mind the steel but I do like to educate myself on the different wonder steels so I know how to use them most effectively. For sharpening I have a Lansky with some diamond hones, a Sharpmaker and a small benchstone. I plan to add a large tri-hone when I can find a good one for a reasonable price. As you can see from the pictures I prefer colored handles to tactical black and odd ergonomics and blade shapes to traditional styles.

I also have a soft spot for knives with full-size handles with smaller blades. The Dodo is by far my favorite knife design. I actually got into folding knives first when my Grandfather gave me his old Ulster BSA knife, I still have it but forgot to include it in the pics, it worn and has a deep patina but means a lot to me. My father always EDCs a Schrade fruit tester knife (the long skinny yellow one in the second pic) and has for almost 40 years I have one he gave me a while ago and it really means a lot to me. He still has a case or two of that style that he bought when he had a business license, a good thing now that Schrade is gone.

I really like small fixed blades though.

Me too, it just seems like the good ones are so expensive. Have any small fixed blade bargains to recommend?

Wow it looks just like my Salt.

How do you like the Salt? I've carried one type of Salt almost everyday for 3 years, I really like H1 steel. The edge holding seems to get better when the edge angle is reduced to 25-30 degrees inclusive.

Here's one for you guys, what knife (other than a SAK) would really compliment a full-size multi?

Let's see some more pics, MTO members have some interesting collections.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2007, 06:55:33 AM by Spoonrobot »

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #14 on: September 20, 2007, 10:28:01 AM
This is pretty much my entire collection these day's :cry:

This is a good thread so I'll write spmething meaningful later, as right now I'm off down the woods :grin:

And like Sparkey said Alox rules :)

Ps sorry for the crappy picture ::)

* sa400002mg3.jpg (Filesize: 9.93 KB)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #15 on: September 20, 2007, 01:33:20 PM
Have any small fixed blade bargains to recommend?

Outdoor Edge Wedge and Wedge II ~$20 or so

Cold Steel Para Edges $30-40

Cold Steel Hai Hocho (now discontinued) $30-40

Cold Steel BraveHeart ~$50

CRKT Stiff KISS ~$30

These are a few good ones.  Search for "Neck Knives" and you'll find many others, although as you said, some can get pricey.  There are lots that aren't though.

Def

Reply #16 on: September 20, 2007, 05:54:53 PM
Have you thought about a BRKT Mikro ???

http://www.barkriverknifetool.com/canadian_guide/mikrocanadian/index.html

I used to have a Northstar, and I can't recommend brkt highly enough, in fact i wish I'd never sold it

us Offline NeitherExtreme

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #17 on: September 20, 2007, 11:07:47 PM
I'm OK with "normal" knives. They all have benefits (or at least should :P ) Besides the $2 cheapos from when I was young, I never got anything more than a Delica4 and the new Ladybug with VG10. Both nice knives, but they're all I need in the tactical department. I should mention that a big problem for me with knives is that if I spend too long looking at them, I'll end up wanting the $300+ ones, and that's just being silly (on my budget at least!). The only knives I still find myself drooling after at this point would be some nice small, old-fashioned slip-joints. I haven't started buying any, and maybe I should leave it that way! Oh yeah, the Spyderco Kiwi still looks pretty nice to me as well... Kinda a mix between modern and old-fashioned.

Reply #18 on: September 20, 2007, 11:13:43 PM
I'm OK with "normal" knives. They all have benefits (or at least should :P ) Besides the $2 cheapos from when I was young, I never got anything more than a Delica4 and the new Ladybug with VG10. Both nice knives, but they're all I need in the tactical department. I should mention that a big problem for me with knives is that if I spend too long looking at them, I'll end up wanting the $300+ ones, and that's just being silly (on my budget at least!). The only knives I still find myself drooling after at this point would be some nice small, old-fashioned slip-joints. I haven't started buying any, and maybe I should leave it that way! Oh yeah, the Spyderco Kiwi still looks pretty nice to me as well... Kinda a mix between modern and old-fashioned.
Well if you like VG10 you'll love the falkniven range especially the F1 and S1 ;)

http://www.fallkniven.com/next-index.htm

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #19 on: September 20, 2007, 11:28:27 PM
Well if you like VG10 you'll love the falkniven range especially the F1 and S1 ;)
Ah, yes. It's been a while since I was looking at knives, but I do remember those beauties. Very nice :)

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #20 on: September 20, 2007, 11:33:49 PM
I really like this one, though I don't know much about 3G steel. I'd love to see this one in VG-10.

* u1.jpg (Filesize: 8.34 KB)

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Reply #21 on: September 21, 2007, 12:15:16 AM
Fallkniven makes a fine knife but they are missing the boat.  Wondersteels usually go hand in hand with pocket clips.  This remais the only reason that I have not bought a fallkniven yet. 

Reply #22 on: September 21, 2007, 09:52:23 AM
I really like this one, though I don't know much about 3G steel. I'd love to see this one in VG-10.
3G is a superb powder steel, so you can almost forget about having to sharpening it all the time :)

Reply #23 on: September 21, 2007, 09:54:00 AM
Fallkniven makes a fine knife but they are missing the boat.  Wondersteels usually go hand in hand with pocket clips.  This remais the only reason that I have not bought a fallkniven yet. 
They don't use pocket clips because they think they upset the ergos of the knife ::)

But at least it would be comfortable in the hand over a long period of time :)

Reply #24 on: September 21, 2007, 10:02:26 AM
They don't use pocket clips because they think they upset the ergos of the knife ::)

But at least it would be comfortable in the hand over a long period of time :)
I think my next fixed blade will be a Ontario  TAK-1 but in 1095 rather than D2, has anyone got any long term experience of these ???

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Reply #25 on: September 21, 2007, 04:21:17 PM
My next fixed blade will be the Tom Brown Tracker II from Tops knives.  I just like them.  Perhaps you may want to handle one of these before buying the ontario blade.  For a "survival" knife I believe that it has no equal except for the original Tom Brown Tracker.

Reply #26 on: September 21, 2007, 05:28:04 PM
My next fixed blade will be the Tom Brown Tracker II from Tops knives.  I just like them.  Perhaps you may want to handle one of these before buying the ontario blade.  For a "survival" knife I believe that it has no equal except for the original Tom Brown Tracker.
I quite like the tracker, but it's waaay out of my price range at the moment :-[

It's definatly one of those knive's you either love or hate though :)

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: September 22, 2007, 08:14:20 AM

I used to have this same problem with a lot of knives, especially the higher end production pieces that were either missing clips or had right-hand only clips. I don't mind a knife with no pocket clip but I do like to have the option to use one.

I've got this on order to take care of the problem though.

I think my next fixed blade will be a Ontario  TAK-1 but in 1095 rather than D2, has anyone got any long term experience of these

There have been quite a few reviews of this blade and it's steel on Bladeforums and I think the general consensus was that the 1095 model was better for all-around use and the D2 was better for pure cutting performance. I think. I have a 1095 model RAT-3 but haven't really gotten to use it so much so I can't comment on how the steel performs.

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Reply #28 on: September 22, 2007, 04:10:51 PM
That is definately a cool idea.  You could add a clip to almost anything.  I was going to start modding SAKs a while back but I do not have the facilities at the current time to accomplish what I need to do.  Have you seen some of the SAKs that people added new scales and clips to on SOSAK?  Really cool huh. 

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #29 on: September 22, 2007, 04:17:50 PM
No, what is this SOSAK place that you speak of? :P

Seriously, if you want a handy woods blade, check one of these buggers out:
http://www.coldsteel.com/97kms.html

At ~$20 it's the kind of blade you don't mind working hard.  You also don;t have to be a silly bugger like me and order the biggest one they have!

Well worth the money, and Felinevet can get them any time you want.

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%