Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Let's have a knife thread.

Offline Viper

• No Life Club
Re: Let's have a knife thread.
Reply #30 on: September 22, 2007, 07:51:09 PM
Quote: Have any small fixed blade bargains to recommend?

The SOG pentagon looks nice, if you don't mind spending a few more doubloons. I might get one because it has both a straight and serrated blade.
http://sogknives.com/store/S14.html
They also have a mini version.
http://sogknives.com/store/M14.html
[

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #31 on: September 22, 2007, 08:20:28 PM
I dunno if the Pentagon qualifies as a small fixed blade, and at $125, not much of a bargain.  The Mini is a nice knife- but again at $75, not a bargain.  It is worth mentioning though that the Mini Pentagon was the sharpest knife I have ever owned, straight out of the box.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline Viper

• No Life Club
Reply #32 on: September 22, 2007, 08:28:26 PM
 Well, on Amazon, they have Mini Pentagons for less than 50 American dollars, and regular Pentagons for about 70 USD.
[

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #33 on: September 22, 2007, 08:30:07 PM
I guess that would qualify then.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #34 on: September 22, 2007, 09:01:45 PM
Beware "daggers", or any double edged blade, as they are illigal to carry in some states.

I can however reccomend the CRKT Carson F4 neck knife...awesome little blade.  The supplied sheath/carry system is good for the price (I think I got the Carson on ebay new and in the box for about $20), but would be uncomfortable for neck carry I think...belt carry is great though as it holds the knife away from your body so the handle doesn't dig in. 
[

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #35 on: September 23, 2007, 12:05:36 AM
Most scandinavian manufactures ie falkniven, helle, brusletto and karesundo all do excellent small knives in all sort or grinds not just scandi's :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Reply #36 on: September 23, 2007, 12:08:21 AM
Most scandinavian manufactures ie falkniven, helle, brusletto and karesundo all do excellent small knives in all sort or grinds not just scandi's :)
Here's one that's on my ever increasing wish list ::)

Brusletto fjord

* www.brusletto.no.jpg (Filesize: 5.84 KB)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #37 on: September 23, 2007, 12:16:27 AM
That's a pretty sweet little knife Micky!

Def

Reply #38 on: September 23, 2007, 12:19:38 AM
That's a pretty sweet little knife Micky!

Def
I know it just beg's to be put in your pocket and used for all those silly little camp chores :)

shame its almost £70 quid over here >:( still santa might be kind and get me one ;D

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #39 on: September 23, 2007, 01:14:29 AM
70 pounds?  Holy crap!

I'd use a knife like that to keep my shelf safe!

Def

Reply #40 on: September 23, 2007, 08:49:34 AM
70 pounds?  Holy crap!

I'd use a knife like that to keep my shelf safe!

Def
In is really nice though :(

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #41 on: September 23, 2007, 02:23:49 PM
True, but I also bought a functional American classic luxury sedan for not much more than that!

Def

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Reply #42 on: September 23, 2007, 03:33:32 PM
Cool blade.  By the way, has anyone here ever used the hideaway knife?  I have one.  It is really cool.

Reply #43 on: September 23, 2007, 10:46:57 PM
Cool blade.  By the way, has anyone here ever used the hideaway knife?  I have one.  It is really cool.
Very cool idea, but there illegal over here, doesn't stop me wanting one though ;D

Offline jock1

• No Life Club
Reply #44 on: September 24, 2007, 02:56:46 PM
I have been thinking of starting to throw knives again(old hobby)anybody else out there do this if so I would be grateful for advice with blade choice and any books /dvds for help with my rusty technique 

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #45 on: September 24, 2007, 04:09:20 PM
Cold Steel has a line of throwers that are both quality and affordable, and that's where I would start.

http://www.coldsteel.com/throwers.html

I also believe that Felinevet can get most, if not all of these. 

Cold Steel also offers a DVD series of "training" vids- there's probably a knife throwing one in there, but I don;t know how good it is.

I would avoid Gil Hibben's book, The Complete Hibben Knife Throwing Guide as there really is only a page or two about knife throwing in there- the rest is "la dee dah, I'm Gil Hibben, a big famous guy" and many pages talking about how to build a proper target.  I like Hibben, I like his work, and the stuff that's not cranked out by 5 year olds in China is good, but this book is a complete and utter waste of paper.

I just actually looked at it since I had it handy- there's 20 pages on knife and axe throwing (mostly pictures) out of 56 pages total.  More than half the book is stuff you don't care about!

Def

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Reply #46 on: September 25, 2007, 12:03:20 AM
My uncle taught me to throw knives and tomahawks.  I became rather proficient at throwing after a while.  Good skill to have.  You never know when you might have to throw a tomahawk or knife at a ninja charging you with a katana. :)

Offline tomcrx

Reply #47 on: September 25, 2007, 04:00:42 AM
Great idea so on to your questions:

What do you like to use?

EDC-

• Buck Hilo - Chinese bubble gum steel. Takes a wicked edge but needs frequent touch ups. Super comfortable handle and a framelock.
  • Wenger Highlander - wicked scalpel sharp - can push cut tissue paper. Good selection of tools. This replaced a Vic Spartan that I carried for over 20 years. The Spartan went into retirement because it had too much sentimental value from the thousands of miles I have carried it in my rock and trail hound days. That one is earmarked for my son.
  • Multitools - SOG Para and LM Micra

What do you like to collect?

Nothing really I buy a knife examine,use and if I think I will use it on a regular basis I keep it if not I sell it or pass it on. But if I had to say I collect something it would be the following because they are ones that tend to hang around.

• SAK's - not hardcore. I get interested when a new model comes out that improves or adds something new. i.e. pliers, flashlight, new Rangers etc. I own about 20. I really love the functional aspect of these and how they have become that perfect "knife as tool". Almost every tool they have on them can be made from a knife blade. So if you had a 4-bladed congress and a grinder you could make a "swiss knife like" tool to fit your needs. I like this concept and how it evolved.
  • Inexpensive Framelocks and their cousin the compression lock- i.e. Kershaw  Storm and Groove, Spyderco Para etc. I thinks the framelock is one of the best locks made today when you look at, durability, ease of manufacture and strength. I modify, embellish, tinker and abuse them all, no safe queens here. I am looking at making my own down the road. It's funny I have owned real Mayos and sold them, now I carry a cheap Buck copy. The thing is I use the hell out of it rather then stick it in a safe and worry about getting it scratched :)
  • Unusual Modern locks - I don't really "collect" them. I will buy them. Take it apart, use it then pass it on or sell it. Paul folder, Syderco Ball lock, WH button lock etc.

Favorite brands or styles?

• Wenger and Victorionox -SAKs of course
  • Kershaw - Their US made knives have some of the best fit, finish and QC for the price point I have seen. I like where they are going with steel fusion tech, handle design and opening mechanisms.
  • Spyderco - I like how they are bringing unique steels to market at a decent price point. They also do really interesting design collaborations and sprint runs. One thing I don't like is they think every knife has to have a "hole" and their Byrd line. I know it is just paranoid speculation but I just think that in the future the majority of their knives will be made in China and only Sprint runs will be made in Seki or Golden.
  • Boker - really last of the makers of traditional high carbon slippies. It seems Case is slowly getting rid of their Carbon and CV lines.
  • William Henry - Just beautiful production knives
Are you a steel snob or is surgical stainless for you?
In between, Most important thing is heat treat and grind. I have used AUS8, 420HC and 440C that takes and holds an edge and cuts like the dickens. I have had ZDP, SV30 etc that folds up like marshmallow or chips and can't cut words. I like my grinds thin because knives are made to cut, not chop.

What do you sharpen with?
Norton combination stones, diamond and ceramic sticks. Occaisonally sandpaper. All freehand.

Have any heirloom knives?
Dad's Jigged Bone Case Congress
Grandfather's Montgomery Wards Barlow
SAK Spartan

That's it!!

Offline Burkc

Reply #48 on: December 26, 2007, 11:23:12 PM
I love knives, not for throwing but for cutting, chopping, you name it I collect every kind I can afford. Just got a "Moore Maker" trapper for Christmas that I have always wanted. It's not a locker but a cool classic trapper.

I was at Sportsman Warehouse today taking back a present and looking at their knives (as always) I really liked the CRKT M16-Z and almost bought it but then at the last minute I saw those famous words " made in China".

ARE YOU KIDDING ME? I hope the knives that I have heard great reviews about is just making some of their entry level knives in China and the better ones in USA or other quality location (Germany etc.)

Any comments?

BurkC

Reply #49 on: December 26, 2007, 11:30:07 PM
The chinese can built a quality knife, just as well as other countries, assuming that there made on modern machines to high western standards, with good quality control :)

The problem is western companies giving the lowest bidders the contract and then not keeping an eye on the product >:(

I'm sure CRKT will have adequate standards in place to make sure you get a good product, my Gerber Diesel is made in China, and I'm quite impressed at the quality :)

Offline Burkc

Reply #50 on: December 26, 2007, 11:48:32 PM
I don't doubt that they can produce a product that would satisfy most needs. I guess I have the most problem with companies that go there just to get a cheaper manufacturing cost and don't keep in touch with the QC.

Sorry to vent

BurkC

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Reply #51 on: December 27, 2007, 12:47:45 AM
I think that model of the M16 is the entry level one and is made in China.

Remember, you are dealing with a company founded on quality knives made in Taiwan, they have moved some of their production over to China but I believe the majority of their line is made in Taiwan with some outsourcing to the US.

With the addition of the "Tenacious" to the Spyderco line, most every knife company now has at least one model of their brand made in mainland China. It's a trend, and the good thing about trends is that they go away.

Offline Burkc

Reply #52 on: December 27, 2007, 01:35:08 AM
Here is a pretty good review I found on eBay. I did not write this but it is interesting reading

"No way can China compete with U.S.A. Cutlery. China knives are made with recycled steel. U.S.A. knives are made from new steel.
Most commonly you see 440 Stainless Steel. 440C was the first generally accepted knife makers' stainless and remains quite popular, particularly since the sub-zero process was developed to add toughness. 440C produces an excellent, serviceable and durable knife, even for the new knife maker. Anneals at very low temperature. Please note that 440A and 440B are similar alloys, often confused with 440C, but not worth a damn for knife making use and wont hold an edge through one slice of bread.  Commercial knife companies often mark blades 440 when they're one of the less desirable versions  giving the real stuff a bad name.

420HC Surgical Stainless, Other High Carbon Steel or Tool Steel is whats wanted in America. These steels have the hardness for a Great America. Many American companies have gone to China for GARBAGE KNIVES. The dealers won't even include in their auctions MADE IN CHINA Why? Because it's JUNK , GARBAGE , TRASH. If you see a listing and the seller says ( manufactured off shore )  that means China cut and run.
Buck Knives still has almost all it's Cutlery US made (Don't buy the Buck folding pocket knives with wood scales or red jigged bone, they are all Made In China). Case, Queen, Moore Maker and Colonial is 100% USA. Other companies have closed their doors, SHRADE, OLD TIMER, UNCLE HENRY, CAMILUS , SMITH & WESSON ,  all made in China.

Shipment of scrap steel from New York's collapsed World Trade Center went to Shanghai  according to media reports. The steel was bought by Shanghai Baosteel Group Corp., and several other domestic mills, which are always eager to buy scrap metal. Scrap metal contains different steels and other metals and impurities. Scrap has to be processed in different ways to make the desirable steels.
Baosteel Group, the nation's largest steel firm, has purchased 50,000 tons of the scrap steel from "Ground Zero," the ruins of the September 11 terrorist attack, at no more than US$120 each ton, according to Beijing Youth Daily.

China, the world's largest steel maker in terms of output, relies heavily on imports of scrap for its steel production. Example, China imported 5.1 million tons of scrap in 2000.

Don't buy it now ,  ask the Seller Where is it Made , when they answer China, say I'm Not Interested , I want a real knife.  If the letters stamped on the tang aren't  USA  you don't want it. "
« Last Edit: December 27, 2007, 01:48:08 AM by Burkc »

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #53 on: December 27, 2007, 02:28:10 AM
If the letters stamped on the tang aren't  USA  you don't want it.

This is the biggest pile of crap I have ever read.  It could be used as a general guideline but it is a terrible generalization to make.  Many excellent knives are made in Europe, South America, and Asia.  Seki City in Japan cranks out many US brands, as does Taiwan, and if this guy really wants to talk quality of manufacture, US made stuff is nowhere near the level of the Swiss. 

It's an interesting thought to begin with, but the more he wrote the more he just proved what an arse he is.  One of the new Benchmades I just got, the ERT-1, was made in China and the quality isn't bad at all.  In fact, it locks up better than some US made knives.

Geography has little to do with quality of manufacture.

Def

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Reply #54 on: December 27, 2007, 02:36:15 AM
Randall made knives use 440A on a lot of their models and they've been involved in every American war from WWII to Afghanistan and they've been to space.

A very poor article.

Offline Burkc

Reply #55 on: December 27, 2007, 02:40:41 AM
Just to make sure everyone read the first part "I did not write this"

BurkC

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #56 on: December 27, 2007, 02:49:46 AM
Don't worry, we aren't blaming you!

:D

Def

Offline Burkc

Reply #57 on: December 27, 2007, 03:28:37 AM
I did read one thing in the article that disturbs me. the closing of the Camillus Cutlery factory in NY. I have carried Camillus for years and always admired the quality. I hate to see companies like this one go by the way side.

BC

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #58 on: December 27, 2007, 03:30:18 AM
I am glad to see their name disappear rather than fall into the hands of companies like United Cutlery or Taylor Brands.  Better to die with dignity.

Def

Offline Viper

• No Life Club
Reply #59 on: December 27, 2007, 04:16:23 AM
US made stuff is nowhere near the level of the Swiss. 
  :D

By the way, SOG's Economy "Fusion" line is made in China under watch by American representatives.
[

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD