Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Camping stoves.

us Offline Spork, Lord of Lime Jello!

• No Life Club
  • Benner fan club #003
Re: Camping stoves.
Reply #30 on: December 30, 2011, 08:03:11 PM
Trangia Triangle with Primus gas burner accessory...used for the first trial run of my new Bemco Backpacker oven. :D
bemco_oven01.jpg
* bemco_oven01.jpg (Filesize: 30.38 KB)
bemco_oven02.jpg
* bemco_oven02.jpg (Filesize: 24.96 KB)

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #31 on: December 30, 2011, 08:12:47 PM
Wow, you got all the cool stuff Dave! :tu:  (and your buns look scrumptious too!) :D
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

• No Life Club
  • Benner fan club #003
Reply #32 on: December 30, 2011, 08:55:58 PM
Wow, you got all the cool stuff Dave! :tu:  (and your buns look scrumptious too!) :D

Why thank you

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #33 on: December 30, 2011, 10:49:18 PM
that looks like a superb set up mate. :tu:

I think your buns look lovely as well. ;)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

• No Life Club
  • Benner fan club #003
Reply #34 on: December 30, 2011, 11:27:34 PM
Wait till I get a photo of my sticky buns... ::)

Although it supposed to be a backpack oven I doubt I'd ever carry it on a walking trip. It's a neat little gizmo for a static camp though. I have the small 7" model - Bemco

I'm thinking Cottage pie...and there is a recipe for SPAM and cheese cornbread in the manual... :drool:

gb Offline badwolf

• No Life Club
  • my best friends a dog
Reply #35 on: December 31, 2011, 11:48:39 PM
Trangia Triangle with Primus gas burner accessory...used for the first trial run of my new Bemco Backpacker oven. :D
8) that's really neat, I like your cornbread post as well :tu:
« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 11:51:07 PM by badwolf »
"I like me, my wife likes me"

JC PT&A

us Offline tattoosteve99

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #36 on: January 02, 2012, 12:28:36 AM
Heres a little link I found some time ago. Good cheap place to make your own camping stuff
http://www.backpacking.net/makegear.html
If I remember correctly, wait, what was I saying?

gb Offline rayraychil

• B.Ps. Motto "Be Prepared" Yes I have a Leatherman!
Reply #37 on: January 03, 2012, 02:34:26 PM
Years ago I used Trangia's but these day's I got myself a Jet Boil stove plus the Group size pan for when were on a long hike with several of us helps with the big breakfasts in the morning on camps as well.

The Jet Boil stove is a wonderful bit of kit.

Ray
I love my leatherman tools like I love my lady an kids !
I just have a few more of them then the wife and kids lol :-)

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #38 on: January 03, 2012, 02:38:16 PM
Years ago I used Trangia's but these day's I got myself a Jet Boil stove plus the Group size pan for when were on a long hike with several of us helps with the big breakfasts in the morning on camps as well.

The Jet Boil stove is a wonderful bit of kit.

Ray

Nice one Ray  :tu: I only have the PCS, but you're right - it's an outstanding bit of kit

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline Sags

Reply #39 on: March 25, 2012, 12:24:58 AM
I've collected several stoves over the years;

Jetboil; great for what it does (boiling water fast) but not real versatile, doesn't simmer well, requires expensive add-on to use other pots n' pans, very narrow heat spot.  It seems very expensive for what it is ($100 for stove and 1 mug, I got my Crux w/ 2 piece personal sized cook set for $60 and it's much more compact and versatile) not very compact compared to other canister stoves.  Haven't used it in a while, probably will sell it, I know everyone seems to love them, that's why I got one, now I regret that purchase.  It's not bad, just doesn't suit me I guess.

MSR Whisperlite; My winter camping stove. Most fuel efficient and works best in the cold, but not nearly as convenient and maintenance free as a canister stove.

MSR Pocket Rocket; Was a freebie, only lit it once to make sure it works, never taken it on a trip since I like my Crux more in every way.  The Pocket Rocket doesn't fold as compact and yet has a smaller burner and pot stand.

Camping Gaz ???; Have no idea what this is called, uses the proprietary non-threaded "Camping Gaz" brand blue iso-butane canisters.  Has a nice big burner and works well, except not that compact and fuel is hard to come by.

Coleman Featherlite 442;  My scout trip and loaner stove, far from the lightest or most compact, but pretty efficient and basically indestructible, has survived dumps in the river, and getting bounced 100' down a boulder field.  Can also burn unleaded gasoline in a pinch.

Optimus Crux;  My favorite by far, much lighter and more compact then Jetboil, or even Pocket Rocket while still having a wider burner = more even heat.  Folds out to a wide base for bigger pots n' pans, simmers well.  Have even started using it instead of the Whisperlite on short winter trips by sticking a chemical hand warmer under the fuel canister.

Forgot to add I also made one of the denatured alcohol stoves from 12oz aluminum cans a while ago too.  But have not actually used it on a trip yet.  Don't think I will either, it's neat...  but compared to modern white gas and iso-butane canister stoves it takes forever to boil water, and only has one temperature.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 12:40:46 AM by Sags »

us Offline Sags

Reply #40 on: March 25, 2012, 12:53:17 AM

That's pretty neat, never seen one before. 

May just have to get one to try with my Whisperlite (or get a ground level adapter for my Crux) warm blueberry muffins on a cold mountain morning would be pretty awesome.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #41 on: March 25, 2012, 12:59:30 AM
Thanks for the rundown of a bunch of different stoves.  I keep thinking about buying another one but I pretty well have things covered with my Coleman 2 burner propane stove and my Svea 123.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #42 on: March 25, 2012, 01:02:47 AM
Forgot the pics!   :-[

Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #43 on: March 25, 2012, 06:34:38 AM
I'd love to get an svea 123, but never seen one for sale and any online source ended up too expensive.

ca Offline 16VGTIDave

Camping stoves.
Reply #44 on: March 27, 2012, 05:30:38 PM
I like the looks of your storage container/pots Grant! Where did you find them? I haven't seen anything like them before, and they look like they would work perfectly in my Maxpedition 10x4 water bottle pouch that I'm currently using to carry my 123 kit.

Thanks,
Dave

Sent from my iPad2 using Tapatalk
I EDC'd a SAK before MacGyver did...

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #45 on: March 28, 2012, 01:06:52 AM
I have no idea where it came from.  My father got this during the FLQ crisis through some bizarre means.  I always assumed it was issue equipment but it wasn't.  When he gave it to me last year I started looking more closely at them and found that the aluminum case wasn't standard either, but it's such a perfect fit I think it must have been made for this stove. 

Maybe I should fire off an email to Svea/Optima and see if they have any info on it.

Def

• No Life Club
  • Benner fan club #003
Reply #46 on: March 30, 2012, 01:37:50 AM
i believe that's the case for the US M1950 stove - Linky

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #47 on: March 30, 2012, 02:31:54 AM
That does indeed look like it- thanks Spork!  I should have known you'd have an answer!

Def

us Offline SAKplumber

Camping stoves.
Reply #48 on: March 30, 2012, 02:51:55 AM
Agreed.  The Jetboil does what it does well...boil water.  Perfect for my edc lunch, during winter, at work.  Mountain House meals and my Double Shot (by Planetary Designs) coffee press/travel mug keeps me warm and fed on the cheap at work.  However, in the warmer weather I prefer colder food and drink:)

br Offline Santos

• No Life Club
  • Product of 83
Reply #49 on: March 30, 2012, 04:23:40 AM
I have no idea where it came from.  My father got this during the FLQ crisis through some bizarre means.  I always assumed it was issue equipment but it wasn't.  When he gave it to me last year I started looking more closely at them and found that the aluminum case wasn't standard either, but it's such a perfect fit I think it must have been made for this stove. 

Maybe I should fire off an email to Svea/Optima and see if they have any info on it.

Def

what does FLQ crisis stand for? Also would be appropriate for a mod to use their god like powers to move this thread to the outdoor cooking section....?
“A good plan isn't one where someone wins, it's where nobody thinks they've lost.”
- Terry Pratchett

ca Offline 16VGTIDave

Camping stoves.
Reply #50 on: March 30, 2012, 05:13:41 PM
Thanks Spork!

I'll be keeping my eyes open the next time I get to a surplus store.

Dave

Sent from my iPad2 using Tapatalk
I EDC'd a SAK before MacGyver did...

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #51 on: March 30, 2012, 05:32:38 PM

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #52 on: April 02, 2012, 12:11:44 AM
Camping Gaz ??? ; Have no idea what this is called, uses the proprietary non-threaded "Camping Gaz" brand blue iso-butane canisters.  Has a nice big burner and works well, except not that compact and fuel is hard to come by.

I have this version of their stove, the Twister 270.

It works on both 230g and 450g canisters of Butane/Propane mix and you can detach the burner as the canister has a self-sealing valve that keeps the gas from running out. It used to be hard to get the canisters but for the last 4 years or so the largest Croatian chain of supermarkets has them in most of their stores at $5 for the small one and $7,5 for the large canister. Still a lot more than the punch through canisters but you take this one apart and use it on the next trip if you haven't used up all the gas.

It packs up really small and is great for hiking.

us Offline SAKplumber

Camping stoves.
Reply #53 on: April 02, 2012, 12:17:01 AM
I had a Coleman brand one , like that, in the U.S.  However, it was threaded.  I gave it to a Boy Scout leader in need.  Nothing wrong with that little stove.

us Offline tattoosteve99

Camping stoves.
Reply #54 on: April 02, 2012, 02:43:30 AM
Here's a website with good tutorials on how to make camping stuffs.
 http://www.backpacking.net/makegear.html

I have used this place many times to save a few bucks by making my own stuff.
If I remember correctly, wait, what was I saying?

us Offline SAKplumber

Camping stoves.
Reply #55 on: April 02, 2012, 03:23:52 AM
Thanks man!

• No Life Club
  • Benner fan club #003
Reply #56 on: April 02, 2012, 07:26:41 AM

Camping Gaz ???; Have no idea what this is called, uses the proprietary non-threaded "Camping Gaz" brand blue iso-butane canisters.  Has a nice big burner and works well, except not that compact and fuel is hard to come by.

I have a Campingaz 470 HP and a lantern. It's one of my favorites for actual cooking because of the large diameter burner and good flame adjustment. When Coleman bought out Campingaz they decided to discontinue them in the US market so they wouldn't compete with their own product.

Fuel has been hard to come by. In my area two chain stores carry them...Big5 (sporadically and overpriced) and Sport Chalet.

gaz470hp.jpg
* gaz470hp.jpg (Filesize: 31.48 KB)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69