Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

EDCSource autoposting

us Offline specgrade

Re: EDCSource autoposting
Reply #30 on: September 30, 2010, 05:31:40 PM
I think he means he'd rather BUY something than bid on something... and I totally agree, when I use ebay I completely filter out auctions and only view" buy it now" items because I go there to buy stuff not maybe perhaps buy something for price X in 6 days 12 hours 2 minutes

Yep and thanks.

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #31 on: September 30, 2010, 05:39:18 PM
Without sounding like a sarcastic git (which I am  :D) it is an auction site so auctions are to be expected.  Lots of people like auctions as well so it's going to prove impossible to please everyone.

EDCsource does have buy it nows though so do check them out.  :tu:
I'm back!!

us Offline specgrade

Reply #32 on: September 30, 2010, 05:45:01 PM
Without sounding like a sarcastic git (which I am  :D) it is an auction site so auctions are to be expected.  Lots of people like auctions as well so it's going to prove impossible to please everyone.

EDCsource does have buy it nows though so do check them out.  :tu:

You are right.  :tu: Maybe I could trade a member something for a hat and shirt  :think:

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #33 on: September 30, 2010, 06:39:22 PM
I just what to buy a hat, maybe a shirt. I don't want to have to get a pay pal account to do it. I guess it's just me.

Auctions don't appeal to me, that's all. It's nice to look at the stuff, though.

Contact Travis at travis@multitool.org to see if there are any other payment options available.  I'm sure he'd be willing to work with you on something.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Gadget Guy

• No Life Club
  • <*();::::::::;~
Reply #34 on: October 03, 2010, 06:58:43 AM
I hate the auto posting to death and that's one reason I haven't been around lately.  ::)  A banner ad makes much more sense to me.  :tu:  Time for me to go climb back under my rock. Bye!!!!  ;) ;)
« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 07:01:29 AM by Gadget Guy »
Sometimes change is a good thing, other times not so much!

us Offline Pacu

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #35 on: October 03, 2010, 08:19:54 AM
i rather like seeing whats up in edcsource in my unread postings...that mt cap looks mighty tempting :drool:
:like:    :MTO:

us Offline Sazabi

Reply #36 on: October 04, 2010, 01:50:04 AM
I still second the notion of having the EDCS postings in a subcategory. ^^; :)

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #37 on: October 04, 2010, 10:11:45 AM
I never knew that a few threads a day could cause so many issues.

Solution above sorts everything in 2 clicks and a mere matter of seconds and you still get to see what is on offer.  Simples.
I'm back!!

Offline Andreas

• No Life Club
Reply #38 on: October 04, 2010, 10:23:59 AM
People use adblock plugins for a reason: they don't like ads. In this case, the ads are even more intrusive. You can't even use the "the site is free" reason because some of us pay to be here and still don't get the option not to view this.

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #39 on: October 04, 2010, 10:30:54 AM
Actually, this site IS free.  Some CHOOSE to pay to see an extra board, but if you didn't everyone would still get to see all the other free boards.  These aren't adds about crap, they are adds linked to our hobby on an auction site created for guys like us.

And since when is anyone forcing anyone to click on the posts?  I have given everyone a 2 click solution if they are that bothered by them, or you could read by each forum, or you could just ignore them on your "show previous posts" list.  All those ways work if people are wiling to accept just a tiny piece of change which it seems some aren't.  In my experience peoples "beef" is usually with the change itself rather than what has actually happened as people don't like change.

Give it a go for a while and see what we think then.  It has only been a few days.
I'm back!!

Offline Andreas

• No Life Club
Reply #40 on: October 04, 2010, 10:45:19 AM
Why not add a similar feature for every ebay item containing Leatherman, Gerber, Victorinox, SOG etc then? What about listing every tool available on Amazon or any other site? The truth is no-one would have an issue with this if it was all in a single thread instead of a new thread for every single auction. Out of 18 threads there's abeen 2 replies.

None of that is important though. The important thing is people DO have issues with it. Someone stated they've stopped visiting much because of it. You can justify the choice all you want, but you also have to live with the consequences and ask yourself if it's really worth it.

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #41 on: October 04, 2010, 10:52:29 AM
Because ebay and Amazon have nothing to do with this site.  EDCS is owned by the owner of here and like I said, was made for guys like us.

And yes can I just point out that 1 person has said that. One.  And it was one reason why he isn't around, not the only reason.  We have no idea how many actually like and use the posts as all we have is this thread as feedback after just a few days and as everyone knows, people generally only leave feedback if they aren't happy, not many will post they like something they just get on and use it.

It all comes down to this really - you can't please everyone.  Many folks may love this new feature?  Are we just to use this thread to get a feel for the whole site?

Give it a go and see then. 
I'm back!!

Offline Andreas

• No Life Club
Reply #42 on: October 04, 2010, 11:09:18 AM
We have no idea how many actually like and use the posts

In other words: not very many

An average if exactly 7 views per thread so far....  :rofl:
« Last Edit: October 04, 2010, 11:12:06 AM by Andreas »

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #43 on: October 04, 2010, 11:35:53 AM
Can I just point out that the thread name IS the advert?  You don't need to click on it do you.  ;)

And, as I keep saying, it is only a few days old.
I'm back!!

us Offline Gadget Guy

• No Life Club
  • <*();::::::::;~
Reply #44 on: October 04, 2010, 09:29:47 PM
I'll just ignore them.  ;)   :D
Sometimes change is a good thing, other times not so much!

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #45 on: October 04, 2010, 09:37:38 PM
Whatever makes you happy my friend  :D
I'm back!!

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #46 on: October 05, 2010, 03:34:27 AM

In other words: not very many

An average if exactly 7 views per thread so far....  :rofl:

The views are people clicking on them, and there's really no reason to, the title says all the content.

I think it's neat, let people know what's for sale. I usually don't go to EDCS since most of the sale doesn't list shipping outside u.s. (and price is no longer cheap once shipping is added anyway), and starts at 99 cent with unknown reserve (hate this format of auction).

de Offline Turnstone

• No Life Club
Reply #47 on: October 05, 2010, 08:15:18 AM
I would like to see them in a seperate forum. Makes it easier to "mark them as read" and they don't bury other posts from members there. When I want to look at them, I go to that forum and can enjoy them. When I don't want to look at them, I just mark the forum as read and they don't bother me. When I mark the forum as read where they are now, I mark all other posts that are inbetween them as read too and they are lost. That seems unfair to me.

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #48 on: October 05, 2010, 10:08:59 AM
Given that the idea here is to encourage people to visit / use EDCSource, rather than the forums to sell their stuff, it seems to work pretty well to me!

I used to come here a lot.

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #49 on: October 05, 2010, 10:38:20 AM
I would like to see them in a seperate forum. Makes it easier to "mark them as read" and they don't bury other posts from members there. When I want to look at them, I go to that forum and can enjoy them. When I don't want to look at them, I just mark the forum as read and they don't bother me. When I mark the forum as read where they are now, I mark all other posts that are inbetween them as read too and they are lost. That seems unfair to me.

So read the titles.  The deals and auctions section sees comparatively little traffic and all the EDCS threads are very clearly labelled so you can easily see what listings are not EDCS ones.

I'm back!!

de Offline Turnstone

• No Life Club
Reply #50 on: October 06, 2010, 12:43:44 AM

So read the titles.  The deals and auctions section sees comparatively little traffic and all the EDCS threads are very clearly labelled so you can easily see what listings are not EDCS ones.

I do, but I thought I was allowed to give my opinion on this  :think:

If you are not interestet in what the other forum members think about it, just close this thread. We all know how we can handle the autopostings the way they are posted at the moment...

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #51 on: October 06, 2010, 12:48:04 AM
Yep you can, just as much as I can give mine.  You gave yours so I gave mine.

I am interested, that's why I keep replying.  I am trying to help by giving simple solutions to what is a trivial problem.  Me not being interested would be to ignore this thread completely, which I have not done as I am trying to give a different opinon to the situation (as you did).
I'm back!!

de Offline Turnstone

• No Life Club
Reply #52 on: October 06, 2010, 12:55:04 AM
 :cheers:

It was a loooong day for me. Maybe I just got you wrong. Your suggestion just sounded so stupid simple that it doesn't look like a solution (to me, right now, tired...)  :pok:  :cheers:

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #53 on: October 06, 2010, 12:57:24 AM
It was stupid simple - that was kinda my point!  :D

I wasn't being $hitty if that's what you meant  :), I'm just trying to get people to see that a minute amount of effort can literally solve everyones issues here.
I'm back!!

us Offline Pacu

Reply #54 on: October 06, 2010, 05:31:25 PM
would suck if we missed out on an Al Mar multi or copper cadet on there :cry:

:gimme:
:like:    :MTO:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!